[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Name a flaw You can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 8

File: dorf.jpg (205KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dorf.jpg
205KB, 1920x1080px
Name a flaw

You can't
>>
cats
>>
it will never be finished
>>
>>379045331
are catsplosions still a problem?
>>
File: 1495754093229.jpg (11KB, 318x313px) Image search: [Google]
1495754093229.jpg
11KB, 318x313px
>forgotten beast gets too close to fort
>begins to induce fps death with its webs/fire
>>
>>379045374
Neither will anything most any of us tries to do. At least toady has something he enjoys doing.
>>
Interface and controls are still absolute dogshit

Adventure Mode is 100% superior to Fortress Mode in every single capacity
>>
>>379045138
I dont have autism.

So I dont care about it
>>
Rimworld is better
>>
Imagine this game with emojis instead of ASCII characters
>>
>>379045138
The learning curve is a learning cliff
>>
>>379045138
Eventual Entropic demise of any fort because of poor clean-up of items, and bad programming that checks literally every single item for temperature every tick, even if the temperature hasn't changed. (And a rounding error that would cause items to rapidly fluctuate between two temperatures.)

Invasions are extremely rare since the 40.x update.

The game is still extremely easy to solve, even with armor and weapons now degrading like clothing. (Oh, and clothing degrading just adds to the heat-death of a fort.) A full fort can survive infinitely off of just a few tiles of plump helmets, without even learning how to fertilize the plots.
Similar with Pig Tails or whatever cloth surface plant you can get ahold of. (RAW, the surface plants are actually better, since they're year round.)

There is not even basic automation options in the base game. So, you have to manually either order new brewing jobs every so often, or set up a few hundred (30 at a time) through the manager, which requires a bit of know how to get up and running, and also requires you to know it exists AND will spam the log with job cancelled reports if say, you're trying to keep your beer-storage full and you have extra manager jobs qued up so when a barrel of beer gets drained the brewer will fill it back up.
>>
>>379045138
FPS death
>>
>>379047013
>even with armor and weapons now degrading like clothing.

Is this a thing? I just started my first fort since the minecart update. Am I going to have to reassign armor to all my dorfs in a few years?
>>
What is the best animal to breed for war?

It's too difficult for me to find cave dragons.
>>
>>379045641
That's nice and all but that's still a flaw.
>>
>>379047150
>Made combat damage weapon and armors depending on material differences etc.
>Made dwarves prefer undamaged equipment during the periodic uniform upgrades
So yes and no.
>>
Code is bloated.

Program requires far too much fucking memory for an ASCII UI.
>>
File: 1469767850072.png (698KB, 2022x9691px) Image search: [Google]
1469767850072.png
698KB, 2022x9691px
>>379046460
can be done with tilesets

>>379045138
Not the game's flaw but:
playerbase too small
most people are actually believing shit like
>>379046358
and never give this game even a chance. paired with a steep learning curve it will always stay a hidden gem
>>
Runs like shit
>>
Tried to think about one, and you was right, i can't
>>
>>379045374
What the fuck?
DF is like nethack and angband where it'll still receive updates 30 years from now but it's still even now effectively finished since there's a fuckload to do and the game very rarely crashes.
>>
I enjoy Adventure Mode but I have never even been able to successfully make more than a few rooms in Fortress due to how terrible the interface is.
>>
>>379048074
The UI is just fine and easily learned so it allows for quickly reaching all the commands.
Vanilla Nethack is way worse.
>>
>game has been updated several times
>Elves still sell 90%+ products made of wood
>try to sell them anything made of wood
>TWAS ONCE A BEAUTIFUL TREE, NOW IT IS ONLY A BAUBLE FIT FOR YOUR KIND

seriously no wonder everybody builds an elf torture chamber in their fort.
>>
>>379045138
Outdated user interface
Lag after reaching 100+ dorfs
>>
There's almost no gameplay. You engage with the worst interface ever and do mundane tasks like a wagekek for 40 hours just waiting for something exciting to happen.
>but muh simulations
Yeah knowing that the game dutifully simulates tons of shit I don't need or care about really activates my almonds, and RAM
>>
I just can't get into it, maybe I'm too young or it's too old. I prefer Rimworld but even then I can't play that for too long.
>>
Rimworld Adventure mode when?
>>
1. interface
2. no fps in large forts
3. random stupid shit like marksdwarves using their crossbows as hammers because you didnt do some magic dance of forbid-unforbid-reclaim the right type of ammo to make them use their fucking quivers
>>
File: timdenee_bronzemurder_3.jpg (102KB, 1000x709px) Image search: [Google]
timdenee_bronzemurder_3.jpg
102KB, 1000x709px
Why all of those "EPIC" and fantastic stories that dwarf fortress supposedly allow you to experience revolve around the same scheme?

>there was a fortress and it was doing good
>suddenly some random strong monster appeared
>everyone was killed by it

And you guys are so excited about that? Everyone who plays it says that stories and randomness is the main feature, but all I see is the same kind of stories, nothing really interesting.

And to get all this you have to endure horrible interface which is basically patchwork clusterfuck with key bindings that make no sense, and decypher ANSI graphics that, while ok for roguelike, does not fit this kind of complex strategy game. And the author is autistic fuck not wanting to change anything to make his game more appealing.

Why would anyone play that, beside for false feeling of elitism for mastering the horrible controls and graphics? To make things even worse the DF community is terrible and very unfriendly. They act so defensive and look down on anyone who didn't invest 1000+ hours to master the UI like them. But they have to rationalize this waste of time, I guess.
>>
>>379050945
there are graphic packs that change the ascii to little pictures
>>
File: aboveground fort.png (150KB, 466x408px) Image search: [Google]
aboveground fort.png
150KB, 466x408px
>>379050945
>Everyone who plays it says that stories and randomness is the main feature
Not for me at least.
I just like to build aesthetic forts and dig deep and try my best to flood the world with my dorfs' masterworks.
>>
>>379050945
>didn't play the game
>why do people like game, from outside it looks unfun
found your mistake

Also don't be discouraged by the UI. It's not streamlined yet because Toady wants to add tons of shit and always fitting the UI will only make things take longer so we're stuck with the barebones. Once everything is finished he will streamline the UI (so never). But it isn't so bad. You don't need 1000 hours and also not 100 or 10. 2-3, maybe 4 if you're a slow learner and you can build, mine and mamage jobs blindly.

Also if you don't have creativity this game isn't for you. If you want a story ans fixed characters you're looking at the wrong game. But what I can tell you:

Your fist fort will always grow personal to you. You learn your dorfs names after a while, you set everything up, know where everything is etc. and whenever bad shit is about to happen, it always feels engaging because it's your personal fort that's being fucked over and Dorfs react to this shit in all sorts of ways.

As I said it needs a little dedication and a little more creativity and willingness to immerse yourself and then you get the experience.
Looking from outside will always leave you wondering
>>
File: 1479307546533.png (117KB, 372x351px) Image search: [Google]
1479307546533.png
117KB, 372x351px
Why would anyone want to play a game that doesn't even have graphics?
>>
>>379047281

It's literally not a flaw.
>>
The degree of customisability the game allows for, and all the different variables at play mean that every single game is completely unique. That gives a strong feeling of creative satisfaction to the player, much more than any other game.

The only problems are, as is always and rightly said, the UI and the fact that, deep into a playthrough, all the bullshit that you have to take care of can wear you down mentally.
>>
>>379048362
Elves grow trees in the shape of the things they need, instead of chopping them down and carving them into things.
They're also hypocrites and idiots.
>>
It's too easy. You have to deliberately gimp your fortress in some way for you to have fun at any point. Traps will take care of all external threats like forgotten beasts and goblin raids. Every competently built fortress will end only due to FPS death.

The military system is just bad. The rest of the UI is perfectly fine, but the military is just a fucking convoluted mess.
>>
Too ambitions. Toady will probaby die before his complete vision to DF will be realized.
>>
>>379045138
The entire UI.

In fact, I'd argue that the UI is the game's only big flaw. It has some other minor flaws, but those are largely inconsequential.

You know there's something wrong when it takes longer for a new player to learn every inconsistent detail of the game's UI than literally any other aspect of the game. Once you get past the intimidating hurdle of mastering the shitty UI, the game suddenly drops all pretense of challenge and becomes pretty comfy and casual.
>>
File: 1475989114139.jpg (187KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
1475989114139.jpg
187KB, 500x633px
>>379047684

i like this image, is there more of that?
>>
>>379048051
>Playin some Dorfs
>Almost made my way through an aquifer using the double slit method
>The game crashes and I lose all my progress
>Give up and just delete aquifers from the raws.

I'd like it if the game were more stable.
>>
>>379048362
They use grown wood, made in special shaping trees
You cut trees down for wood
>>
File: automation.png (12KB, 976x338px) Image search: [Google]
automation.png
12KB, 976x338px
>>379047013
>There is not even basic automation options in the base game.
There is now.
>>
>>379053847
That's just in the current version. The dwarves take a LOT of trauma to start throwing tantrums. Though forgotten beasts have trapavoid, so they actually take more complex traps to deal with.
>>
>>379045138
>so many bugs
>really bad performance
>shit learning curve
>no polish what so ever

He hasn't even done 10% of the game yet. It'll never be finished in his lifetime.
>>
>>379045138
No tutorial mode
>>
>>379055224
Are you using any add-ons?
I play fully vanilla and haven't had a crash at all this patch in like 500+ hours.
>>
>>379055541
Is that stock game or workflow?

Cause the DFHack mods have been slowly getting better integrated.
>>
>>379055737
Regular game, DFHack options always have DFHack on-screen or the option is higlighted in red instead of green.
>>
>>379055713
Just DFHack, which as I understand it includes a couple of bugfixes and should improve performance.
>>
>>379045138
no magic or economy system yet
>>
>>379048051
Except Nethack and Angband have highly optimized UI, and several graphical engines, plus the gameplay that was balanced and tested. DF is just some fat autist's passion project meaning that nobody gives a fuck about making it actually playable as a game.
>>
>>379045138
HUD is fucking cancer
>>
Corpses and things don't decay nearly as fast as they need to in refuse piles, so abusing garbage dumps is the only way to not use up half your fortress storing mangled bones.
>>
>>379055941
Which version, cause unless the new one has revamped dorf management, I won't update until the Rapist does.
>>
>>379056649
I use minecarts. When a minecart dumps it's contents into a stockpile, everything can fit in a 1x1 stockpile just like with dumping. Plus you don't need to manually dump things, just set up a small refuse pile (3x3) or something for the minecart to take from and the dwarves will fill it themselves.
>>
>>379056720
I was like you once upon a time till I said fuck it and learned to play with the in-game labour management. It's not so bad once you get used to it.
>>
grafics sucks dude lol
>>
>>379056963
Well, given that their aptitudes don't actually seem to affect much outside of the speed at which they carry things and some combat capability... Well, that and possibly HQ chances.
>>
>>379045331
2CAT LOL
>>
>>379055994
I think it does improve performance somewhat, yes, but it's also what caused my crashes some versions prior at least.
However I understand it's hard to go back to vanilla after growing used to dfhack but it's what I did and no more crashes.
>>
>>379045138
I could name dozens
Doesn't stop it from being GOAT, though
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.