[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, /v/? I honestly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 126
Thread images: 18

File: MH4U-Image_001.jpg (1MB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
MH4U-Image_001.jpg
1MB, 1200x900px
What do you think of Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, /v/?

I honestly hate it. I think it's introduced some of the worst mechanics in the series and makes it hard for me to get into it. I'll be honest, I'm stuck in HR because they started going heavy on the Frenzy; but it may just be my lack of experience.

Monster Hunter thread
>>
Bad things 4U introduced:
-Apex
-Monster scaling in GQs
-Mount spam (this was addressed in Generations)
-Relics

Everything else is really good
>>
>>379003135
Probably the best Monster Hunter game in my opinion.

Yes there is dumb stuff, but it's pretty minor in comparison to some of the issues in the other games. It also had good online play which helped a lot.
>>
>>379003135
you're just a shitter who needs to git gud

who wants to play mh4u? I dont like mhx as much, and feel like revisiting it
>>
>>379003135
It was my first mh game, so I can't give you a fair opinion
>>
>>379003908
Yes, I accounted for that in my argument. But you didn't provide anything of substance that rebuked my claims about its mechanics, anon.
>>
File: 1487587175393.jpg (492KB, 1960x1129px) Image search: [Google]
1487587175393.jpg
492KB, 1960x1129px
Pretty much what >>379004159 said.
Still, I personally love it, and am looking forward to MHXX on Switch.
>>
>>379003326
Increased focus on story as well. Gen didn't have that but I'm hoping MH5 is super light on story as well.
>>
>>379003326
So basically endgame is shit and the rest of the game is great from a casual standpoint?
>>
>>379004491
Endgame isn't shit, trying to grind for absolutely perfect gear is shit
>>
>>379004310
>Don't flashbomb me or my son ever again
>>
>>379003135
I had only played 3U prior to 4U and found it to be an amazing upgrade. There's a lot of things I prefer about 3U but outside of mounting the actual combat was refined and improved upon to such a degree that I find it hard to go back to 3U. I loved the new weapons, movement felt tighter and the controls felt a lot more responsive.

4U room where?
>>
>>379003135
The biggest issue with 4 is the Charge Blade. It's my favorite weapon, but it's so absolutely overpowered and fluid. It does EVERYTHING with no downsides, on top of being one of the fastest weapons.
>>
>>379005614
CB addict here, I agree. It kind of killed what already little weapon variety I engaged in by being my dream weapon.
>>
>>379004841
I can make a 4U room at 9 after the ARMS test punch if people are still interested by then.
>>
Relic system and Guild Quests where fun in the beginning, until you realized that it takes insane ammounts of time to get that one specific relic set because you have to get lucky with the drops.

Guild Quests start fun, but then you eventually start fighting chaos gore magala or dual apex rajang at lvl 140 when they have bloated health and ridiculous damage.

It reached a point where i simply could not find any team competent enough to handle dual apex rajang wich where unfortunately the most efficient hunts for GQ.
>>
>>379003135
The maps in 4U are the fucking worst. They just had to put slopes and cliffs everywhere to show off the new movement
>>
>>379003135
the best monhun game, but it could have been a lot better.
>>
>>379006021
This
>amazing defensive capability
>sick as fuck animations
>infinite combos for days
>Sword mode is aesthetically perfect, not too large to feel comical like the GS and Switch Axe, and doesn't feel like a toothpick like with the SnS
>ridiculous damage

It's pretty much the only weapon I use in both 4U and Gen and I still never get bored with it
>>
>>379004703
Grinding for postgame gear is not shit by itself, is the way that it was addressed, like it was a fucking korean mmo.
Rolling relics was a shitty mechanic to obtain powerful equipment and apex monsters and mechanics arent fun to fight against.
Having to painstalkingly raise your own guild quests to drop postgame stuff was boring

The rest of the game was nice, improvement of the AI, new weapon mechanics, more monsters etc
But the maps are seriously awful, because fucking ledges everywhere disrupting your movement and rolls, and uneven terrain makes it harder to aim for parts, calculate the monster movement , or just keeping track of the monster on the camera
4u's map should have been entirely banished from the series, but they had to bring them back in gen for some reason
>>
>>379005614
>Thinking CB is OP
>When IG exists

Even GS is better and GS has been good since forever.
>>
>>379008698
Dont ever forget guard point. You cant talk about CB and not say anything about guard points.
Just like they gave brave gunlance a guard point on the fast reload and the weapon improved by leaps
>>
>>379009086
Guard Points could be a weapon in and of themselves.

>>379008698
>sick as fuck animations
>Sword mode is aesthetically perfect,
Fucking this, every move has so much weight to it, even walking with it out is perfect.
>>
>>379009542
>MH5 brings fists
>fast blunt damage, excels at status appliance and locking monsters down
>you can press X+A anytime to parry, but you have to time it well for it to work, otherwise you are wide open to take an attack
>You dont roll or evade, you hold B to run in any direction and reposition yourself to avoid attacks You can literally run in front of your stunned hunter and parry the fireball
>>
File: 1424746493020.gif (3MB, 245x263px) Image search: [Google]
1424746493020.gif
3MB, 245x263px
>tfw no mh4u on vita
>>
>>379010185
I was just thinking of a massive shield you'd swing around like a retard and cave skulls in wth
>>
>>379010185
A full-body weapon that attaches to your fists and feet and links them with phial tubes is the ideal thing, it would let you running jump kick
>>
>>379003135
I liked the idea of more "verticality" in MH. Mounting was fun but at times easy to spam. The movement felt less rigid when it came to climbing. I remember back when i first tried the freedom games i didn't know you could jump to ledges.

I think MHX took it too far with aerial style, though. It felt too gimmicky and aerial attack spam was an issue.
>>
>>379010779
Like the talons from Ninja Gaiden 2?
>every weapon could mimic the claws and feet of that of the monster's set
I'm down.
>>
File: 1460010172898.png (46KB, 328x408px) Image search: [Google]
1460010172898.png
46KB, 328x408px
>>379010505
I feel ya. I really do, but at this point if you really wanted to play mh4u that badly, getting a 2DS, and a cheap copy of the game is reasonable.

I do enjoy this meme though.
>>
>>379010931
I'd say there's 50:50 odds as to whether or not styles will carry over into MH5. I'm pretty sure they're an X/XX specific thing though and honestly hope that they won't go forward, though I wouldn't mind certain style-specific motions and arts being toned down and added to basic weapon movesets. For example, a bootleg Dragon's Breath, maybe you get it from holding onto a charged shell or something or trying to WF from an upswing.
>>
>>379003135
I think it's shit

Can't wait for Monster Hunter to get off of shitty nintendo consoles and come back to the winning side where it belongs and get back to being good again finally
>>
>>379011629
>implying what console a game is on determines its quality as a game
>>
>>379011273
The arts/styles aren't a bad idea in concept, but since they were only in X/XX, they're really not balance very well. Some arts are too weak or too powerful, and some weapon/style combos are head and shoulders above the other options.

At this point, i'd be fine with adding some more attack variety to weapon movesets, or letting players customize their own moves/combos, rather than the style/art system.
>>
>>379003135
4U had my favorite monsters in the series. Glad they're finally starting to move away from exclusively lizardlike monsters. Seltas Queen, Najarala, Nerscylla, Tetsucabra, and Zamtrios were all incredible and some of the most unique fights in the series. Even the new draconic monsters were GOAT, Gore/Shagaru Magala, Steve and George are easily the series best. Really felt like the first game to feel like Monster Hunter, rather than Flying Wyvern/Lizard Hunter
>>
File: Best Grls.jpg (708KB, 1250x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Best Grls.jpg
708KB, 1250x1600px
>>379003135
It introduced me to the best girl (and the third best girl), so I'm happy with it. +I've put over 150 hours into it (solo hunting) so it must have done something right.
>>
>>379011968
More insectoid monsters would be great
>>
>>379010523
Tower shield and short sword with bash attacks and two_three swings for cutting demage
>>
>>379003135

I tried playing demos of MH on 3ds but I never felt anything for the series. Sure, the idea of hunting monsters and large weaponset is cool but I got backed off by completely absurd atmosphere and armors design and awful controls (I was constantly slashing empty space instead, like if game only recognized 8 directions and nothing between). I couldnt get into ANY weapon set - sword & shield was hitting way too weak, longsword had weird angles and was actually more like spear, greatsword and hammers were too slow and rest of the weapons were completely alien for me.

At the same time, I did enjoy God Eater on PSP. But not MH Freedom Unite.

Oh and when I tried demo for Generations, I nearly ran out of time with that giant raptor while using "long sword", despite smacking him nearly constantly this time.

I keep feeling that MH is overrated.
>>
It's good but I like Hunter arts/styles from X/XX better. Fight me
>>
Lobby is up, search fishing

id is

15-7412-0767-1920
>>
>>379012403
It's not a very easy game to get into, and the 3DS controls are ass (I play on a 2DS so I don't even have the luxury of an extra analog stick). However it's still probably my favorite game series out there. Finding a weapon that just clicks with you is an awesome feeling, and I believe that MH has a weapon for every sort of playstyle, although some are much more complex to use than others.
>>
>>379005614
t. never played Grank
>>
>>379012602
But to what end?
>>
File: 1494780081670.png (220KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494780081670.png
220KB, 1920x1080px
>>379004831
>>
Why is LS such a shitty weapon? Having to maintain red is incredibly difficult if the monster is that much faster than you and you continue to whiff your spirit slash. You lose out on major DPS that could easily be supplemented by another weapon that doesn't have to rely on such a shitty gimmick.

Brave LS is a much better version of the LS through-and-through.
>>
>>379012746
>I believe that MH has a weapon for every sort of playstyle

In Dark Souls, I was always running with greatsword and shield but I doubt that MH have similar option. Like I said, sword&shield deals so little damage it hurts.
>>
>>379003135
It was a good game, but the guild quests ended up being kinda lame, apex was a shit mechanic and charge blade was overpowered
>>
I would have played it if it wasn't on something as cramp as the 3DS.
>>
>>379012969
Charge Blade my nigga, dont even need to use the axe mode, blade mode is strong enough
>>
>>379003135
git gud newfaggot

>>379012403

you like the game or you hate it there's no between in monster hunter
>>
>>379012945
LS is amazing in Generations. The hunter arts helped it a LOT.

All three arts are fucking great for it.
There is nothing and I mean NOTHING more satisfying in this game than landing that perfect Critical Juncture
>>
>>379012969
>Like I said, sword&shield deals so little damage it hurts.

It actually does a fucking ton of damage once you set it up and learn to beat the shit out of things constantly, and oils only make it stronger. Take it from someone who's really good at it.
>>
File: Guildmarm_012.jpg (421KB, 693x971px) Image search: [Google]
Guildmarm_012.jpg
421KB, 693x971px
>>379012403
First MH for me was trii bundled with the Wii and I played it for around 10 hours before I gave up,

Then I bought a psp and for some reason I bought Freedom Unite (I think it was just really cheap and i wanted to give it a chance) and after playing it for 20-30 hours it just clicked for me and I started to really enjoy myself .

Since then I've bought both a 3DS for 3 Ultimate and 4U. And later (after the 3DS broke) a "new 3DS" for Generations and have put well over 150 hours into each of the games.
>>
>>379013359
Critical Juncture is really satisfying to land.

But if I miss I feel like i've failed as a MH fan.
>>
I hacked my 3ds but I have MH4U legitimately, is it safe to play online?
>>
>>379012403
Admittedly it's tough for new players, although the more recent games are getting better at this.
A friend introduced me to Freedom 1 when I was like 12 and i've been a fan ever since.

Having someone to play with probably helped me through the tough times of getting shit on by a low rank Kut ku.
>>
File: YESYESYES.gif (736KB, 395x222px) Image search: [Google]
YESYESYES.gif
736KB, 395x222px
>>379010185
>>379010779
>>379011016
>>
Death Gun you shitter you died twice and then quit on your own quest
>>
>>379013768
no
>>
File: 1496063787611.jpg (332KB, 792x832px) Image search: [Google]
1496063787611.jpg
332KB, 792x832px
>>
Will MH5 finally remove Khezu, Azure Rathalos, and Black Gravios from the game. Literally no redeeming qualities to any of these pieces of shit
>>
Haven't really loved an MH game since Freedom Unite. 3U was Good. MH4U was OK. Generations killed the series for me, though. The hunting styles made everything far too easy.
>>
MH3U is the peak MH experience so far because you can play it on the big TV with a real controller. But it's also a fantastic game, good story, village, guild sweetheart, great monsters, music, I even like underwater combat occasionally

I think MHXX Switch might top that though.
>>
>>379014445
>Azure rathalos
Man, i loved him in 3U, but hated him in 4U.
In 4U he felt like "Rathalos, but in the air even more." Felt like the opposite in 3.

Khezu can fuck off, though, just a boring fight. They need a new creepy cave monster besides Giggi and Khezu.
>>
>>379003326
>no mentions of uneven terrain
It ruined the game, what are you smoking by leaving it out?
>>
>>379014717
It was completely fine and there were a lot of maps that actually did have significant chunks of even terrain. The only time that it was actually an obstacle was for burrowing monsters in the desert like Cephashit, which is already a bad mon on its own.
>>
>>379014805
Desert was fine actually.
Most areas were fucking garbage, the fact everyone wanted to fight monsters in the few flat areas speaks volumes of it. I hope it goes back to 3rd gen levels with practically only small corners being uneven.
>>
why havent any of you fucks made a room yet
>>
File: 1467345946434.jpg (50KB, 377x423px) Image search: [Google]
1467345946434.jpg
50KB, 377x423px
>>379014445
They'll remove them once they change Rathalos's moveset from being one of the most annoying fucking fights in any of the games to something actually enjoyable. So never ever.
>>
>>379014931
you retard i already did

its right here in the thread you dumb jaggi
>>
>>379014957
outside of the famous roar -> fireball combo, ill never understood peoples bitching towards los
>>
File: Guildmarm_009.jpg (356KB, 551x852px) Image search: [Google]
Guildmarm_009.jpg
356KB, 551x852px
>>
>>379015147
The only times Rathalos really bothered me were in X. I just felt like he was in the air so much more than previous games.

Also fighting Azure in 4U was... an experience.
>>
I want to get into monster hunter, which one should i play first?, i was thinking 3 for wii or 3rd for ppssp, i'm playing on pc btw, already downloaded 3rd with english patch.
>>
File: Guildmarm_004.jpg (318KB, 700x994px) Image search: [Google]
Guildmarm_004.jpg
318KB, 700x994px
>>379015332
Use flash bombs doodle
>>
>>379015385
4U is the best Monster Hunter for beginners
It teaches the game so well.

However, you can learn it with every other game just as well. It's just MH4U does a really good job at teaching you, while the other games just assume you played since MH1 and know how do to do it.

Since you got p3rd, just play that. There's trainer in village.
>>
>>379015485
I know, don't you worry.
I'd fight Los variants in 3U pretty often just for the fun of it, but he felt different in X.
>>
>>379010185
What about tonfas?
>>
>>379016071
FUCK TONFAS AND FUCK FRONTIER
>>
I can't find a favorite weapon type, /v/.

I wanna use LS, but spirit slash sucks dick.

I wanna use HH, but I suck dick at it and can't remember the songs by heart or when they expire.

I wanna use LBG/HBG, but managing CD and ammo is tough for my little brain.

I wanna use Lance, but I suck at evading.

I wanna use SA but it's slow in comparison to some of the -- and I'd argue they're the majority -- faster monsters and hunts would hypothetically take too long as a result.

I wanna use Bow, but (again) CD is too much for me and I always run out of coating a before the hunt ends.
>>
>>379016772
holy shit get good faggot you sound abysmal
>>
>>379016772
SnS, don't overthink that shit
>>
>>379016772
>and I always run out of coating a before the hunt ends.
This isn't that big a deal when you have the Seregios bow in 4U or Teo bow in Generations.
>>
>>379016772
>I wanna use Bow, but (again) CD is too much for me and I always run out of coating a before the hunt ends.
Bring Nitroshrooms and vials
Stop missing shots.
>>
>>379015147
Hell, the roar-to-fireball combo isn't even that bad, it makes sense that the weakest part of the monster should also be very risky to hit. Even the constant flight is okay, because it teaches a player to actually prepare for a fight (which no one seems to fucking do in multiplayer).
I personally hate that heat-seeking claw attack that can poison and stun, on top of being able to go through walls. That, and the charges that'll just slide across a wall and hit you for full damage and stun, though that's not just a problem with the red/silver/blue/whatever fuck.
>>
>>379003326
4U could have been the best if it wasn't for GQs and relics.
>>
>>379017913
I remember having to count to like 3 when i hear him doing it
but then i also remember dropping everything for the CB so i could just guard point shit
>>
>>379018026
>4U could have been the best if it wasn't for optional content that I didn't have to play
You're literally the same as the fags who complain about styles.
>>
>>379016772
Insect Glaive, best balance between speed and damage
>>
>>379003135

Loved it. It's also the first MH I played, so I can't really compare it to anything. I had only heard about it previously, but when I actually got it I was struck by how cool and unique the monsters were. They have a very inspired design aesthetic that's unlike anything I've seen in other monster stuff, but it's hard for me to put my finger on it. Online huntan is some of the biggest fun I've had.

I put like 300 hours into it but I quit at G rank. Specifically it was Garuga who raped the enjoyment out of me. He was fun to fight in HR, but in G his attacks just got too ridiculous. The way the huge hitboxes on his attacks carted your ass before the animations of the attack even started went against everything I liked about the gameplay.
>>
>>379019040
>I put like 300 hours into it but I quit at G rank. Specifically it was Garuga who raped the enjoyment out of me. He was fun to fight in HR, but in G his attacks just got too ridiculous. The way the huge hitboxes on his attacks carted your ass before the animations of the attack even started went against everything I liked about the gameplay.
Garuga is literally casual filter.
>>
Spot just opened up on the lobby
>>379012602
>>
>>379019345
garuga is fun filter
>>
>>379004491
Only the beyond endgame is shit, which is guild quests and relic gear farming. The kind of garbage you do when you're done G Rank and want to go even further beyond.

Apex does damage some of G rank, but I don't think it ruins it. Mount spamming is more of a playerbase-driven problem. Conservative or minimal mounting during hunts doesn't exactly leave you at a disadvantage, but in online rooms with randoms you'll probably find them wasting time because they're too tempted to go for the mount (and then fuck it up).
>>
>>379003135
Worst maps of the series, meme ledges everywhere.

Also spawned the worst fans of any MonHun game. Worse than genwunners of Pokemon. CBfags are the biggest crybabies too.
>>
File: 3fb[1].jpg (19KB, 592x412px) Image search: [Google]
3fb[1].jpg
19KB, 592x412px
>>379016772
>I wanna use LS, but spirit slash sucks dick.
>>
>>379020197
i love to fight inbred rathalos clones in off-shape flat arenas
>>
>>379009064
If I wanted to be a faggot I would just suck a bunch of dicks.
>>
>>379010505
you're on every MH thread and posting the same gif.

Not hating though anon, I know your pain. Have a cute Glavenous
>>
how is the hammer in gen?
>>
>>379012403
>nearly ran out of time
>against Maccao
Do you still have the demo?
>>
>>379016772
>but I suck at evading
THEN USE THE FUCKING SHIELD

>SA
>Slow
sheath your fucking weapon once in a while, or use axe mode for faster movespeed and larger reach
>>
>no scorpion monster
>no hydra monster
>no frog monster
>no rhino beetle monster

What are some of your dream monsters for MH5?
>>
>>379023197
>no frog monster

tetsucabra doesn't count?
>>
>>379023272
that's a toad
>>
>>379023314
well now you're just splitting hairs
>>
>>379023741
not true

they introduced a bubble mechanic with mizutsune, you're telling me a frog wouldn't be a perfect fit for that?
>>
Who /fashionhunter/ here? After many many hours, i think i've gotten to the point where i'm so familiar with the monsters' movesets that i just wear full sets even if the skills are shit. Only try to fit in really needed stuff like razor sharp for db or IG
>>
>>379024372
Gonna be even better when you can transmog in XX and just make fashion sets
>>
File: 1480474118059.jpg (47KB, 480x515px) Image search: [Google]
1480474118059.jpg
47KB, 480x515px
Why is lance such a fun weapon?
>>
>>379024645
Because its best weapon class.
>>
>Volcanic Hollow 8
why did they have to bring back shitty 4U maps to XX
>>
>>379026479
Volcanic Hollow is infinitely better than the flat bullshit that was the volcano map in Generations.
>>
>>379026531
The Volcano thats in Generations is the Gen 2 Volcano but yeah I agree.
>>
>>379003135
JE SUI MONTE

bring back water, it was comfy as fuck and perfect for light gunners
>>
File: 1480220567337s.jpg (67KB, 480x960px) Image search: [Google]
1480220567337s.jpg
67KB, 480x960px
post tfw they keep nerfing your gunlance
>>
>>379003135
I think it is the most solid monster hunter game. generations is fun but I put way more love into 4U probably cause of G rank
>>
>>379026531
haha

no
>>
File: 1473555236966.gif (1MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1473555236966.gif
1MB, 350x300px
>>379026771
brave gunlance fixes a lot of wrongs, but then they might not want to learn what they did well for the next game
>>
Every game has been more casual than the last since MHFU. Call me an old coot or whatever, but no MH game has has that perfect balance of difficulty and progression.

I've played every MH released in the states (except Gen, waiting on XX), more than 3,000 hours in the series as a whole, and nothing has ever been more satisfying than when me and my three best friends defeated our first Ukanlos in FU.
>>
File: 1443378644942.png (46KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1443378644942.png
46KB, 250x250px
>>379026704
>hunting a leviathan in flooded forest
>>
>>379027614
Tribabby here, Hyper Silver Rath is easily the hardest bullshit I've ever fought, despite it being in a game with the adept style. I've actually had more success with just duoing it instead of fighting it with a full group of friends since a single mistake ruins everything.
>>
>>379027132
How does it fix it?
>>
>>379029024
rapid fire shelling, guard point on fast reload, can lunge out of vertical shell, can lunge out of fast reload, can poke after slam if you didnt burst
>>
>>379003135
same, 3U was and is still the pinnacle for me
Thread posts: 126
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.