[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why didn't this have a huge impact?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 12

File: header.jpg?t=1495033722.jpg (28KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg?t=1495033722.jpg
28KB, 460x215px
Why didn't this have a huge impact?
>>
Because it was garbage.
>>
Terraria exists.
>>
it's boring
>>
>>378957072
cos it's shit
>>378957254
FPBP

ALSO /THREAD
>>
because it's a terrible game
>>
>>378957072
It failed to 1-UP terraria
>>
>>378957072
They kept removing shit, and "revamping" aka. making shit they didn't remove worse
>>
>>378957072
Because chucklefish has no fucking idea what they're doing
>>
You plateau at a certain point. I never played it before full release and never played terraria so I was blown away at first. 50 hours later and meh.
>>
>>378958949
>thought you said cucklefish
>Was going to post about your "le epic cuck meme"
>you wrote chucklefish
>my mind changed it to cuckefish

I need help.
>>
Because brand fidelity.
People were already playing Terraria.
Why didn't Doom clones have a huge impact?
Why didn't Minecraft clones have a huge impact?
Why didn't WoW clones have a huge impact?
>>
>>378957072>>378958962

Because I think, the game is always in development in beta (girafe version no?). The last version bring introduction and Space Protectorate but it reset all saves, and change lot of objects and game mechanics.

Personnaly I still play this game sometime because I like the univrers, building possibility and have a full convertible spaceship. But the problem is Chucklefish going in too many direction and forget to finish his game at all. Novakids still undeveloped, lot of structure are created and delete by the next version, it's difficult to play with friends or created a personal server. Actualy the crew woks on space station : exploration and convertible. And on space mechanic armor to expore the vaccum.

I hope one day this game will be finished.
>>
>>378959246
but it's not even competent enough to be a Terraria clone, it's just a shit game more boring to play than watching paint dry
>>
I LIKED THIS GAME. ITS FUN YOU FAGGOTS.
>>
>>378957072
probably another reason is that it stayed on Early Access for too long, and people just got burned out from playing the beta versions.
>>
>>378957072
Because I followed it from the moment it got announced up to the disappointing beta release and they didn't deliver on half of their promises. I didn't even pay for the game, I got free copies for me and my friends off of OmnipotentEntity giving out codes on /vg/ and I still haven't played an hour of this game post-beta,
>>
>>378961378
Fuck off back to your forced hugbox Tiy

No seriously part of why the game turned out so bad was because literally any single piece of criticism, no matter how politely it was put, was immediately silenced. They even had moderators kicked off steam for deleting bad reviews. The dev staff are hilariously corrupt scam artists. Wish I still had the paste bin of all the fucked up shit they pulled.
>>
File: 1462228107810.png (5KB, 208x208px) Image search: [Google]
1462228107810.png
5KB, 208x208px
>>378957072
Because we remember 2012-2013. There was real, tangible hype behind this game. Terraria in fucking space, mechs, dynamic lighting, etc, and even one of the two guys who worked on Terraria.

And then the beta dropped.
>>
>>378962203
It was one guy who drew some sprites for Terraria, then tried to use Terraria's success as a springboard for his own project. But over the long ass early access beta that was more of an alpha, it was obvious they were all hacks, who couldn't design a good game out of a wet paperbag, who would resort to copying mechanics from other games (such as Secret of Grindea's blocking mechanics).

i'd say this game has managed to be quite the No Man's Sky of indies, where's that screenshot where Scambound has some wildlife around, a jellyfish and such, and not any of the critters are in the game to this day? That was just a total marketing lie.
>>
The "complete, out of early access 1.0" somehow has LESS CONTENT than the alpha and beta versions is why.

Exploring abandoned science facilities, underground tombs, pyramids and castles for all sorts of rare stuff was fun as fuck, until the game REMOVED THEM IN FAVOR OF PRE-BUILT LEVELS WITH FIXED LOOT.

Are Avian towns and Floran villages still in?
>>
>>378962203

Pretty much this. It was the Terraria killer, and then they decided to make it Early Access and stretch out the development of the game over the course of, what, six years?

I loved playing the game and I've spent hours playing it with friends, but at this point I don't care anymore because I've already gotten the experience and any updates to it wouldn't make me care enough to go back to it.

>tl;dr: Early access, development took too long, lost interest. Good job, fuckwits.
>>
>>378957072
Because Terraria is better.
>>
>>378962490
The fact that it was in Early Access that long is just embarrassing. It's like they drew up a thousand assets and did the bare minimum for the game. Part of me wants to feel bad because there had to be somebody on the team who realized they bit off more than they could chew.

On another note, how is Secrets of Grindea? Has it updated lately?
>>
Does Frackin Universe make this game good? What mod makes this game good?
>>
>>378964637
I really didn't like it.
A lot of the recipes require obscure shit that you have no idea what it comes from or which world type you should even be looking on. It's even worse if you take an already existing character and than slap on the mod.
Also there's a bunch of new planetary conditions with levels, but the gear does fuck all to tell you which level it is strong enough for since it mixes terms.

Just didn't really feel like it mixed in very well for me. And some of the enemies being pokemon rejects were just distracting.
>>
>>378963461
I don't have Secrets of Grindea, I pirated its beta long ago it was okay, but having been in early access for so long, it's hard to care about it to be honest. In that way, it's a lot like Starbound, but I'll give them they didn't ruin their game between updates as chucklefucks did, it's just hard to recommend give the perpetual early access aspect to it.
>>
>pirated an early version
>looked neat, bought
>played for like 20 hrs, turns out there were like 4 prebuilt structures with all hostile enemies and no loot, no anything
>new update, noice
>save wiped, removed all the fun left
>last played 1 year ago
>>
>>378958927
This, they removed so much stuff that it got stale before it even came out.
>>
>>378957072
Weapons and combat were pretty fucking boring. The bosses are okay but they feel wanting plus the somewhat unique weapons you can get from them only have a 10% chance of dropping so the combat gets even more stale when your just going from a 10 damage sword to a 20 damage sword. The right click for a secondary ability was a pretty good idea though.
>>
>>378957072
Okay, listen up punk.

You could consider Terraria a minecraft clone even though that's ridiculous but still, it had a huge impact despite the image of being a minecraft clone. Why do you think that is?
Minecraft had a clear focus on sandboxing, allowing you the freedom to build whatever you want and added mobs, interactivity of objects with one another, fluid physiques and other stuff to keep building an interesting activity instead of just a meh-I-build-this-but-whats-the-point kind of empty lego-space, following me so far? Good.
Terraria took that, made the whole thing side-scroller perspective 2D and added the major key ingredient to it's game that got people addicted who enjoyed minecraft or sandbox in general but seeked more of an adventure and action experience rather than just a focus on building stuff and playing around with the interactive mechanics of the building blocks.
Tons of weapons and mobs with varying, fun unique elements to each of them made you want to go out and explore the world to look for better gear to bring back to your base and expand upon, while the game also added all sorts of side activities that contributed in a meaningful way to the gameplay aspect, namely the adventuring and action, like fishing or hordes of an invasion attacking you, being able to house people and build a town to defend from the invasions and so on.

Now let's have a look at Starbound, without even considering what gigantic opportunistic nazi jackasses the developers of chuklefuckle are, because that's another topic, but just wanted to mention it anyway for your unaware ass, because you have to understand that there are indeed people who won't pay for a game developed by shitsters. Anyway.
Starbound tried to recreate the experience of Terraria while changing the setting from that of a medieval fantasy singular map to the confines of sci-fi space after the principle of more is more and out the door is where we stand.
>>
>>378957072
It's not a good game. It's just ok.
>>
>>378958927
Even though the procedurally generated monsters looked like shit, it was still better than when the only difference between a peaceful planet and a max danger planet is the color and HP of the ghost cat and pea pod people.
>>
>>378957072
>played it several years ago
>felt like a really shitty and floaty (don't you dare mention how it isn't earth gravity) terraria
>get bored within a few hours, and those few hours were just mining for shit anyway
>play it again very recently hoping for changes
>feels EXACTLY the same, can't notice any new content whatsoever

i'd say there was at least 4 years between these two times, did i just manage to miss everything or did they really not add anything noticeable?
>>
>>378964637
>Does Frackin Universe make this game good?
No, it doesn't
>>
>>378957072
Mile wide, 2 inches deep. Like Skyrim, requires mods to fix half assed "features". Also combat sucked, there's no bosses to summon on planets or random invasions, progression is retarded, and so on.
Pretty much drops the ball in all ways except for building a comfy community on a planet.

Could have been a great game in another teams hands.
>>
Remember how salty those anons on the Starbound General were? Christ it was hilarious.
>>
>>378966560
And instead of looking to create quality in terms of mechanics, gameplay, trying to really think of how one game element interacts with another in order to create an organic playing experience, they just went and made a checklist of things they deemed cool yet were not even sure whether they were able to implement and then just went check check check, no matter if those supy dupy cool things they implemented even fulfilled certain criterias that would make those play their part.
Mobs, are they uniquely distinguishable from one another, not just in looks? Do they change the way a player approaches in combat? Questions like that were what chucklfuckle never asked themselves.
Eventually they started adding even more stuff ripped from Terraria as you can imagine, so housing became possible and then they tried adding what they had promised on their checklist like taming monsters and just so much unrealistic stuff within a reasonable amount of time to do.
In the end they kept themselves puddling around in a pool of neverending work to finish while they kept trying to add more and more content but never get to flesh anything out, so what they did add ended up bland and boring, but sheer amounts of bland and boring stuff are indeed present.

The game finally found it's niche for people who like to build and decorate (maybe even RP), so it never came anywhere close to minecraft or terraria in terms of gameplay, but it did find a lot of people who enjoyed the game for what does offer, which is mostly a lot of non-gaming related content you could argue.
>>
>>378967120
>The game finally found it's niche for people who like to build and decorate (maybe even RP), so it never came anywhere close to minecraft or terraria in terms of gameplay, but it did find a lot of people who enjoyed the game for what does offer, which is mostly a lot of non-gaming related content you could argue.
I would say that the game is actually fun as hell for the first 20 hours or so while it is all new and fresh and you are constantly discovering things. After that is where you start seeing it all fall apart and seeing how lazy they got. So it gets a lot of people defending it, especially if they are just casual gamers. Although it's building is pretty decent since there's a fuck ton of parts.
>>
It does exploration better than terraria, but it falls completely flat in terraria's strongest point: character advancement. the entire reason i've played multiple files of terraria is that the fun of the game comes mostly from starting out with nothing and clawing my way up the amazingly large equipment pyramid until i'm at the top. starbound seems astoundingly oblivious to the value of this, as its character advancement is short, painfully easy, and ungratifying. having only 6 equipment tiers and no bosses or great challenges involved with them, just environmental restrictions that make it impractical to go to certain types of planets, makes its character advancement dogshit compared to terraria's 10+ equipment tiers, plentiful bosses, and world-based challenges and scaling through naturally generating dungeons and hardmode.
>>
>>378966560
>while changing the setting from that of a medieval fantasy singular map to the confines of sci-fi space

Could Terraria even be considered medieval fantasy with the current content?
>>
File: 1485574833467.gif (322KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
1485574833467.gif
322KB, 800x450px
Because the 2d model of gaming is boring.

Terraria came out first and was already ahead of the game when Starbound came out. Starbound was fantastic for what it was but theres only so much you can do whilst limiting yourself to a sci-fi only space setting.

Eventually people get bored of space and want more, so they set out to explore only to realize most planet look the same with different texture packs and combat is half as good as Terraria's is.
>>
It's terribly shallow, if there's one word to describe it.
>>
File: Capture 2017-05-24 21_32_26.png (596KB, 1936x1104px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 2017-05-24 21_32_26.png
596KB, 1936x1104px
Rate my house pls
>>
File: unknown.png (54KB, 623x491px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
54KB, 623x491px
1.3 is shaping up to be fantastic.

Space stations, interacting with other ships, space trading for profit, mechs, fucking erotic VNs, it has everything
>>
>>378967862
Also most of Starbounds gear is just has a tiny bit more dps with a very few shitty custom weapons. Whereas in Terraria there's tons of interesting effects, status boosts depending on what you wear, and fun things to do with gear. Most tiers of gear are designed to various play styles, not just the final tier.

They really had no idea how to design a game.
>>
>>378968091
Nice tower dick.
>>
File: 129791361356.jpg (115KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
129791361356.jpg
115KB, 720x960px
>randomized weapons
>every crafted weapon was worse than what you could find
>>
>>378968120
>erotic VN
What.
>>
>>378968091
Add some real roofs, nigga
>>
>>378957072
they removed like more than half the content they added over development just for the final build
didnt deliver on most promises
now they're dicking about with shitty extra stuff instead of putting the game they gutted out back in

ultimately disappointing, I'd go back to terraria any day but this, unless they put the shit they took out back, I will not.
>>
File: 1393899225448.png (197KB, 542x359px) Image search: [Google]
1393899225448.png
197KB, 542x359px
>>378960639
>reset saves

Fuckinh hell...

I got the game when it first "came out" and played it a bunch for a while. Then they did a patch that had to reset saves.

It pissed me off, but hey, it was early access right? Figured id wait to play until they stopped doing shit like that.
Its been years and theyre still wiping saves...
>>
File: hqdefault (2).jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (2).jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>378957072
Because they kept the game wallowing in early access for the best part of three years (it officially released in 2016).

By that point, Terraria had settled down into the status as a cult hit competitor to Minecraft and everyone else had moved on to other genres.

It doesn't help that Tiy and his merry band of faggots forgot that the only thing that keeps a game alive in early access phase is the collective goodwill of your fanbase.

Given that by 2014, the Starbound General and subreddit were full of people who hated Chucklefish so much that they would dedicate part of every day to dissuade people from buying the game.
>>
They promised a deeper Terraria.
They made a more shallow Terraria ripoff.
The Terrarria devs kept on adding new stuff with patches running even longer than they themselves said they were going to keep supporting Terraria for, while I don't think Starbound ever actually significantly did anything.
A game like Terrarria but that actually DID implement planetary exploration feature different gravity levels and different sorts of environmental hazards would've been neat
>>
File: 1484199882264.jpg (278KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1484199882264.jpg
278KB, 1920x1080px
>>378968091
That bit under your overhand with the open stairs just looks awkward, you should put a fence and background tile support pillars maybe. Also I like to use 2 different tiles for my walls in each room to mix it up. Looks like you have a solid start though.

Like the other guy said, I can only think penis when I see that tower.
>>
>>378968412
They set up an in-game VN system. The one I posted is actually in the base game and probably not particularly lewd, but mods will take care of the rest.
>>
File: 1493272978676.png (1MB, 852x854px) Image search: [Google]
1493272978676.png
1MB, 852x854px
>>378968598
Terraria took a hiatus, resumed development, pushed out multiple massive content patches, and even pushed out its "finished" version before Starbound officially released.

Let that sink in.
>>
>>378957072
Because it went into early access as a prettier-but-clunkier Terraria clone with a bunch of half-baked features, then stalled development for a ridiculous span of time. If Chucklefuck could've put a completed game out within a year or so of Early Access they might've made a noteworthy impact, but development has just been dragged out for so fucking long while the team meanders aimlessly with no clear direction that nobody cares anymore.
>>
>>378957072
Play it first then make the thread
>>
Gentle reminder that Tiy got away with EVERYTHING, he's everything Sean Murray wished he could have been. His genius maneuvers have even tricked normies into thinking Chucklefish was actually involved in creating Stardew Valley, and his upcoming Advance Wars clone is almost certainly going to be a smash hit.
>>
>bought into hype with bros
>played 4p server for like 2 hours
>two of bros quit because games unfinished
>played for 30+ hours with final bro
>quit game saying 'thisll own when its done'
>fast forward to the year 2043
>terraria 6 blows away all sales figures for the autism learning genre
>starbound finally realeases 1.2
>its shite and the alpaca mechazord doesnt function
>zomboid devs robbed for 258th time.
>>
>>378968693
Interestingly enough, I think this system would do wonders for storytelling over what they've done now. Would actually make quests and shit more interesting instead of the WoW style quests.
>>
>>378968683
Fascinating creation you got there, thanks for feedback.
>I can only think penis when I see that tower
Not sure how it happened, I was playing Terraria while browsing /v/ and that was the result.
>>
Chucklefucks ruined it

Literally a downgrade from alpha ver
>>
>>378969164
Well, I will say that Starbound at least has more of a game than No Mans Sky did. And Tiy is just a douchebag and didn't straight up lie about a primary feature (multiplayer). I'm just disappointed by Starbound, I wouldn't consider the two to be in the same category.

I do feel for the Stardew Dev though, far too many people consider it a Chucklefish game and think they helps a ton. I just want the fucking multiplayer to come out damnit. Building a comfy farm with my brother on the other side of the country will be great.
>>
>>378969456
Is Stardew Valley officially getting multiplayer?
>>
>>378969530
Yeah. 4 years after noone cares.
The Chucklefish Way(tm)(r)(c)
>>
File: I'll see you in hell.gif (16KB, 126x132px) Image search: [Google]
I'll see you in hell.gif
16KB, 126x132px
>>378957072
TITTY HORSE
>>
File: 1488783237072.jpg (413KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1488783237072.jpg
413KB, 1920x1080px
>>378969376
Just google terraria houses or look for the thread on /v that happens occasionally. You can get a lot of ideas for nifty building tricks. That's what I do, and I've seen a lot better out there than mine.
>>
>>378968120
I can't wait for them to break every single one of my mods to the point me needing to redo them again. At least I'll have something to work with now.
>>
>>378969530
There's a buggy mod out that does it, the bones for multiplayer are already in the game. Supposedly CF is helping him implement it, but he's been saying that for over a year now.
I get the feeling they are dragging their feet and doing dick all to help. Or trying to get him to turn it into a paid thing somehow.
>>
>>378963154
All of that still exists. You're retarded.
>>
>>378968693
consider my interest piqued, this game would be saved if i could go around banging cute alien chicks
>>
>>378969747
Its cool. Mod API will fi-oh wait wrong game.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.