[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many plebs prefer generic fantasy over sci-fi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 235
Thread images: 45

File: how did we go from this to this.jpg (168KB, 591x719px) Image search: [Google]
how did we go from this to this.jpg
168KB, 591x719px
Why do so many plebs prefer generic fantasy over sci-fi?
>>
>>378915126

Is it THAT hard to get good character designs in terms of facial features at least?

Xenoblade 1 was alright, not exactly a fan but all faces were very varied and in X all looked almost the same (even if it had a "reason" for it).

In 2 I don't mind the girls but the MC looks odd and it's a bit way too animu for my taste, I would've gone for something a bit less generic.
>>
The fact nu-/v/ would prefer being the 12 year-old boy on the bottom instead of piloting the sweet sweet Gundam mechs on the top is sad.
>>
>>378915126
Because the generic fantasy had more cutscenes and a longer mainquest despite falling to shit in the last act. If they swapped positions and X had the crappy openworld but a huge story and Chronicles was actually fun to play but had a crap story people would prefer sci-fi to fantasy.
>>
File: 1453085610558.png (252KB, 579x329px) Image search: [Google]
1453085610558.png
252KB, 579x329px
I want flying mechs in another Xeno game. It felt incredible the first time you took to the skies.
>>
>>378915343
>can't be the twelve year old on the bottom piloting the giant mechs on the top

is this what it feels like to be the middle child
>>
>>378915126
mecha sucks

all their stories suck
>>
>>378915126
Swords and melee in fantasy. Mkre combat options. Scifi its shoot and kite till the end of time unless it's 40k. Also scifi designs lea towards modernist astheticcs which look like ass unless theyre weebshit.
>>
File: 1454106210583.jpg (443KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1454106210583.jpg
443KB, 1280x720px
It's youngfags whose first JRPG was Final Fantasy X.
Anyone with taste knows Sci-Fi is always superior.
>>
>>378915126
>people unironically like mechs
Dancing, 1000 ton robots is the dumbest shit ever. Especially when they're humanoid, what's the point? It's unoriginal, nonsensical, pandering to gundam nostalgics
>>
>>378915126
why are you a nigger OP?
we ask these questions every day
>>
>>378915343
I'm sorry I don't want to trivialize combat to the point of uselessness.
>>
>>378915616

>He thinks the mechs will return
>>
Why are children so obsessed with giant robots? Fuck off.
>>
>>378915675
Xenoblade X had just as many melee weapons as ranged weapons, though.
>>
>>378915126
Honestly I think it's in part with sci-fi becoming actual parts of our lives while fantasy will almost always be alien and unobtainable.

Sci-fi also was more associated with the older generation while fantasy has had a larger resurgence with the recent generation (recent LotR adaptions, Harry Potter, etc).
>>
Generally, you actually have to try somewhat with scifi, with fantasy you just plop down generic medieval europe with elves, dwarves, and dragons and thats it.
>>
>>378915126
Sci-fi is infinitely more popular right now that fantasy. What delusion are you on about?
>>
>>378915773
But infinite overdrive is more powerful than Skells
>>
>>378915779
>He doesn't know Takahashi directs these games
>>
>>378915696
and godslaying swords, people with wings in the head, potato creatures isn't?
>>
>>378915489
xenoblade isnt what set generic fantasy as the front runner of rpg, dumbass
>>
>>378915126
Most Sci-Fi I see in games is generic.
>>
Man, X had some of the weirdest shit I've seen in a JRPG in terms of the story and sidequests.

It wasn't the standard power of friendship bullshit you always see, it got pretty depressing and almost nihilistic at times.

The fact it's related in anyway at all to the game at the bottom is funny.
>>
>>378915696
>hating on giant robots
What a faggot. Bet ypu bitch about stuff making noise in space too.
>>
>>378916038
I think he means in jrpgs settings.
We still barely have any Sci-fi jrpgs when you compare them to the amount of traditional ones.
And even some of the sci-fi jrpgs we get like Star Ocean for example, spend all their time in less developed settings so you don't really get the sense that you're playing a sci-fi jrpg.
>>
>>378915967
>here is le teens with attitude and they pilot le giant robots

How the fuck is that trying? You children need to fucking kill yourselves.
>>
>>378915779
No I know they won't that's why I'm distraught and wondering if this is how middle children feel when their older brother likes X and their younger brother likes Y and they keep fighting over it but you like both
>>
>>378916140
I loved X's sidequests.
>Back to the Future In Space
>The water purification plant
>confronting the serial killer who killed Murderess' parents
>>
>>378916140
>it got pretty depressing and almost nihilistic at times.
Xenogames have always had a pinch of that to spice things up a bit, Xenoblade 2 will probably do the same, but the artstyle is worrying me.
>>
File: 1496197822065.png (342KB, 638x478px) Image search: [Google]
1496197822065.png
342KB, 638x478px
>>378916140
>A False Hope

What the fuck man? She didn't deserve this.
>>
>>378916205
>le teens with attitude
you didn't play XCX
>>
>>378915696
Your soul is weighed down by gravity.
>>
>>378916050

I don't trust this hack after he sold out to Smash babbies.

He never would have made a direct sequel to Xenoblade if it wasn't for Smash signal boosting it.
>>
>>378915126
I'd like a current gen mecha game to stay mecha the whole time and not swap to some pilot adventure crap. Preferebly in an open world settings and not cut into instances like the armored core games.
>>
>>378915126
Because 70 years ago a britbong wrote a fantasy trilogy based of another book about elves written in the 1920s.
>>
>>378916351
I don't think Smash was his call.
Why would he have any jurisdiction on what happens with that series?
>>
File: 1488030796608.jpg (123KB, 1000x1210px) Image search: [Google]
1488030796608.jpg
123KB, 1000x1210px
Is there any JRPG with better worldbuilding than Xenoblade X? We learn so much about the universe and all the aliens in it and we only stay on one planet. Its pretty incredible when you think about, especially with how sparse the main story is.
>>
>>378915343
Except everyone loved the mechs when XCX was first revealed.

The issue is when you actually played the game and mech combat was boring as fuck and ground combat had more options, had more player interaction and was ten times as fun. Also when you got good enough at ground combat, it completely outdamaged mechs.
>>
>>378916537

I'm not saying it was his idea to put Shulk in, I'm saying he's riding off the fame that came from in.

He's pandering to the "I'm really feeling it xD" crowd.
>>
dark sci-fi > low magic >> dark fantasy > hard sci-fi > sci-fi >> sword & sorcery >>>>>> epic fantasy > cyberpunk >= high fantasy >>> heroic fantasy >>>>> space opera
>>
>mfw people on /v/ were SURE that Monolith would continue the story of X with a sequel
>b-but muh cliffhanger!!!
Funny how all these voices are silent now.
>>
File: dark_souls_gameplay.gif (1MB, 349x309px) Image search: [Google]
dark_souls_gameplay.gif
1MB, 349x309px
>>378915696
Agreed bro. I much prefer 1000000000 year old lolis that don't look a day over 4 and can lift the entire earth with one pinky and can turn into a dragon God at will and can destroy the universe if they farted.
>>
>>378916541
I'm gonna get shit on for this but Final Fantasy XIII.

Please stick with me here, okay?
So I just started it a few days ago and I actually think its been pretty good so far.
The game handles exposition very well.
Exposition is sprinkled throughout character dialogues and gives the player the time to piece the clues together, however down the line the story clarifies the concepts hinted at with more concrete dialogues.
Also there is this datalog thing in the game that is basically an in-universe history book/dictionary.
You can read that for more in-depth understandings of the world, there's some really neat lore in FFXIII and it's one of the things it does extremely well.

There's also the trails in the sky series which I hear is very lore heavy, especially since it builds on this super long lineage of games that it's a spinoff to.
>>
>>378916809

I recall anyone saying it would happen, especially after the writer said the next game would likely be something completely new.
>>
File: HONK HONK.jpg (727KB, 1728x1624px) Image search: [Google]
HONK HONK.jpg
727KB, 1728x1624px
>>378916541
They realized they couldn't manage a huge story like they did with previous Xeno games so they flipped the gameplay/story axis around and used sidequests/worldbuilding to make up for it. I really liked the approach but it does kind of shoot itself in the foot

>wow I've learnt about how these two clans of the same alien species have been warring for centuries, have a connection to animals of the land that they train to fight alongside in battle and the way they conduct their funerals and weddings
>it'd be great if one of them would join my party and fight alongside me
>

I love the sci-fi setting and alien designs but they're never gonna revisit it, and it just makes me kind of detest Xenoblade 2 for looking so similar to the first.
>>
>>378916140

I agree, too bad this game had MANY questions unanswered, felt like I was just halfway trough, it could use more "dungeon" as well, the final episode is just LITERALLY flying your skell to the lifehold, enter it and face the final boss, what the fuck?

Even with all the open space, Xenoblade 1 had them, mechonis field in general is GOAT.
>>
File: 1435523100471.jpg (203KB, 628x790px) Image search: [Google]
1435523100471.jpg
203KB, 628x790px
>>378915696
Which robit hurt you anon?
>>
>>378916690
I really doubt that.
If Takahashi truly listened to what the masses say about his games he wouldn't have made X.
I think he's one of the few creators that really just wants to create his dream game.

>>378916718
>dark sci-fi
what's this? Stuff like Tsutomu Nihei's works?
>>
>>378916998

Sorry, I DON'T recall.
>>
>>378916809
There's nothing saying they can't just because XC2 is a thing but I don't think it'll happen. The story was obviously second to side content and it seemed like a side game just for them to get used to HD development more than anything. So I wouldn't be surprised if they never re-visited it.
>>
File: LordofLight(Zelazny).jpg (23KB, 220x327px) Image search: [Google]
LordofLight(Zelazny).jpg
23KB, 220x327px
But what if I like science-fantasy?
>>
>>378916809
Xenoblade X2 can still happen. People thought Xenoblade X's existence meant the first Xenoblade would never get a follow up, but here we are. There's no reason they can't make a sequel to XCX after this one.
>>
>>378917025
You know XCX really is a spiritual prototype of BotW when you think about their gameplay and story structure.
Plus the fact that monolith developed and worked on both.
>>
>>378916541
>Is there any JRPG with better worldbuilding than Xenoblade X?
Trails games, but that's literally their only claim to fame since they're garbage in every other aspect.
>>
>>378916998
There were atleast a few autists that wouldnt relent about it, even after that interview. This was a while ago now, though; I havent even been in a Xeno thread since a few months after X released
>>
>>378917148
You play Star Ocean
>>
>>378917116
I think Takahashi obviously had plans to revisit the setting, otherwise he wouldn't have left so many threads hanging. Whether it'll actually happen or not, who knows. XCX DID have better attach rate than the first Xenoblade
>>
>>378917225
>monolith worked on BotW
Source for this?
>>
>>378917068
>I really doubt that

I don't know, creating a Xenoblade 2, especially after the first one had a perfect ending, and the fact he said he wanted to do something different, then turning right around and doing this makes me think it's something more.

And it might not even be him, considering how Nintendo made IS their bitch once FE got big.
>>
>>378915126
Prolly cause theres not many scifi games, let alone RPGs. Also its much easier to do passable fantasy than decent Scifi.
>>
Fantasy is just easily more immersed in since medieval Europe actually exists at a point at times.

And sci-fi is filled to the brim with DIVERSITY i.e. niggers.
>>
>>378917148
Looking forward to ELEX perhaps?
>>
>>378917529
>And sci-fi is filled to the brim with DIVERSITY i.e. niggers.
...what?
>>
>>378917428
Xenoblade 2 could be like FF where games are not connected outside references like chocobos and stuff.

>>378917391
I'm surprised you don't know, there were a few threads on this months back.
But here's what wikipedia has on it.

>The title was originally built and demonstrated with touchscreen features for the Wii U, but the developers found that looking away from the main screen distracted from the game. The features were removed when the game moved to tandem development across the Wii U and Nintendo Switch.[31] The Wii U GamePad also affected the game's animations. Though the series protagonist Link is canonically left-handed, he is right-handed in the game to match the GamePad's control scheme, which has its sword-swinging buttons on its right side.[32] The Switch version performs better than the Wii U release when docked to a television, though when undocked, both run at the same resolution. The Switch version also has higher-quality environmental sounds.[33][34] On the game's art style and direction, Aonuma stated that it was inspired by gouache and en plein air art to help identify the vast world.[35] Monolith Soft, the developer of the similarly open-world Xenoblade Chronicles series, assisted with the game's topographical level design, which was based on Kyoto, the hometown of game director Hidemaro Fujibayashi.[36][37][38]
>>
>>378917391
Not him, but about 100 staff members helped with world design/tech iirc
>>
>>378917606
Mass Effect, Star Wars, Star Trek, etc
>>
>>378917583
I was not aware that was a thing, looks neat.
>>
>>378917606
poor bait, don't entertain it.
>>
>>378915126
Fantasy, for better or worse, is more popular than sci-fi, thanks to folks like JRR Tolkien

Because of that, there's a lot more generic fantasy than there is generic bland sci-fi, and the plebs that unironically follow the bottom-tier trash are going to be much more noticeable
Fantasy is neither intrinsically better nor worse than sci-fi; there's just more of it
>>
>>378917583
>ELEX
>published by THQ
holy shit I thought they died
>>
Fantasy is somewhat easier to write for and to fit gameplay mechanics, shit like healing spells, people are more willing to suspend their disbelief when you say something is fantasy as well because its definition includes crazy dreamlike settings like Alice in wonderland, magic requires no explanation meanwhile everyone expects technology to function in some belivable fashion.
>>
>>378917648
>Xenoblade 2 could be like FF where games are not connected outside references like chocobos and stuff

Judging by his past games, I can't be certain if this is the case.
>>
Because it's much easier to self-insert as a fantasy character than a sci-fi one
>>
>>378917891
well he kinda did this with XCX and XC with the monado stuff and the homs.
>>
A common draw of RPGs in character growth. This is easier to convey in a fantasy setting than in a sci-fi setting, because in the former you can make shit up (dude I can shoot 60 arrows at once now) while in the latter it can appear illogical and at odds with the science established by the setting.
>>
>>378918209
Nah sci-fi settings do character growth just fine just look at Star wars, Gundam, Macross, etc.

Unless you mean as a game mechanic where stats are involved, but even then it still works.
>>
>>378918553
>Star wars
>sci fi
>mechashit
>>
>>378918209
Scifi's really easy to make character development for. Look at something like Phantasy Star IV, your final party in that end up being a huge spread of character development in strength because there's so many options.

One guy's got destructive powers based on emotion, another has actual magic, another is a technological marvel of an android, and another has instant-kills out the ass from sheer hard work and knowledge.
>>
>>378918681
what are your guidelines for sci-fi?
Are you one of those people who are really pedantic about that?
>>
>Xfags continue to circlejerk and shit on anything that isn't their precious single player MMO
>they continue to cry WAAAAAH GENERIC ANIME in spite of their game being infamous for potato uguu character designs and a soundtrack by the worst anime composer of all time
>>
>>378918854
>Phantasy Star
>sci fi
come on.

>>378919069
If its based around magic it isn't pure sci-fi, its some sort of hybrid genre.
>>
>>378916916
>There's also the trails in the sky series which I hear is very lore heavy, especially since it builds on this super long lineage of games that it's a spinoff to.
Trails games don't build off the previous Legend of Heroes games at all, but all Legend of Heroes games with the Trails subtitle connect to eachother and that's eight games (with at least 10 more planned for the future)
>>
>>378915126
Mass Effect is dead, so XCX was the only thing we had close to Sci-fi left. And now that is dead too.

What do I have to look forward to now? Halo clones, and mobas?
>>
>>378915343
>nu-/v/
Is the beginning of an epic new meme?
>>
>>378919196
>with at least 10 more planned for the future
wow, that's something.

I was under the impression that all the Legends of heroes games took place in the same world, but were during different eras and at different locaitons.
I haven't played them mind you, but I got this knowledge second-hand.

>>378919126
so would your idea of sci-fi be works that are more technical and handwave stuff less like Asimov for example?
>>
File: hochew nougat sadame.jpg (82KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
hochew nougat sadame.jpg
82KB, 720x480px
>>378919347
the sweet release of death that won't come anyway
>>
>>378919082
how is XCX a single player MMO but XC and XC2 aren't?
>>
>>378919363
>new
>>
>>378919402
If you are going to handwave at least make it grounded on sci-fyish concepts and not outright magic like the Force.
>>
>>378919745
who are you quoting?
>>
>>378919539
Blind Nostalgia.

Don't worry anon, one people realize that XC2 has been confirmed to not use bong voices but rather burger voices, not even the story can save the game from being mediocre.
>>
>>378919402
First two legend of heroes take place in one world, then the next three take place in very different eras of another world, and then all of the Trails games (8 games and counting) take place within the same decade on one continent.

Apparently they wrote the general plot for the entire franchise, even the 10ish games that aren't out or under development yet all the way back in 2001.
>>
>>378915126
>There are people that actually liked the extremely ugly artstyle that XCX had
>Having a dark, brownish filter on environments
>>
>>378919909
XCX was more colorful than the original, what the fuck are you on about?
>>
>>378919907
>all the way back in 2001.
wow, that's some dedication.
I might have to put the rest of the games on my backlog.
>>
File: xenoblade-chronicles-x-9[2].jpg (426KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
xenoblade-chronicles-x-9[2].jpg
426KB, 1920x1080px
>>378919974
It really wasn't. The original Xenoblade used a much cleaner and vivid color pallete.
>>
WE'RE
>>
>>378920065
You know there's other continents besides Primordia right? And besides, even Primordia has more variation and color than Gaur Plains
>>
STUCK
>>
>>378920065
why does a post apocalytic sci-fi jrpg need to look like chuckie cheeses?
>>
File: 2000[2].jpg (556KB, 2000x1124px) Image search: [Google]
2000[2].jpg
556KB, 2000x1124px
>>378920118
Primordia doesn't hold a candle to Gaur Plains
>>
>>378920338
Primordia is just Gaur Plains except its better in every imaginable way.
Same for Noctilum and Satorl Marsh.
And Valak Mountain and Sylvalum.
And Cauldros and Mechonis.
X's world absolutely destroys XC's.
>>
>>378915126
More potential for individual heroism.
>>
File: CPDeyL9UEAEAHE7.jpg (43KB, 545x576px) Image search: [Google]
CPDeyL9UEAEAHE7.jpg
43KB, 545x576px
>>378915126
>"Monolith Soft, if you don't come up with a JRPG that appeals to children and baits smash babies, to maximize profit of the Nintendo Switch, you will lose half your funding. "
>>
>>378920503
While I absolutely agree, having the worlds in XC be a part of the Bionis really added a sense of scale and sense of progression that was absent in XCX. But taken by themselves, XCX wins hands down.
>>
File: Phog.jpg (450KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Phog.jpg
450KB, 1280x720px
>we'll never see best boy again
>>
What X really needed was some better sound mixing, especially during those briefings in the barracks.

HOly fuck
>>
LET'S FIIIIINNNDD THE KEY WE'VE LOST
>>
>>378916541
Kiseki series but to be fair that might as well be the focus of the series, and they've been building it off for several years now.
>>
ONE BY OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>378921096
AS ALL THE PEOPLE CRY IN VAIN
>>
>>378915126
Science fiction makes me go on trips questioning the tech among other things. Fantasy, if there's something I don't get I can just say it's fucking magic. One makes you think, the other us mindless fun, guess which is more appealing.
>>
>>378921201
You've obviously only read shitty fantasy, then
>>
File: rubberneckers.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
rubberneckers.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
What did she mean by this?
>>
>>378916718
name 1(one) cyberpunk game that is shit.

i'll wait.
>>
>>378921659
You're missing the point.
>>
>>378922018
NECKS OF RUBBER
>>
>>378915126
I feel like all the modern jrpgs have been scifi though. They all have things like airships, guns, laser swords. When was the last time you saw a completely medieval fantasy jrpg with no ancient super technology to it.
>>
>>378917068
>I think he's one of the few creators that really just wants to create his dream game.

See I used to believe that, and I did after finishing XCX.

But XC and XC2, don't make me believe in him anymore.
>>
>>378923173
>They all have things like airships, guns, laser swords.

That's not what we mean by Sci-fi. We mean Star Trek.
>>
>>378923352
Well I still want a pure medieval fantasy world. For some reason the only game I can think of is Suikoden.
>>
>>378921142
ONE BY ONE
>>
>>378923521
there are half a million jrpgs with that setting and a million wrpgs, like that anon. Though I won't vouch that all of them a great tho.
>>
>>378923521
Radiant Historia? That has magic though, not sure if you're looking for one without it.
>>
>>378923672
Name 9 JRPGs without magic.
>>
File: consider the dinosaur.png (734KB, 677x686px) Image search: [Google]
consider the dinosaur.png
734KB, 677x686px
>>378915126

Bad sci-fi stands out worse than bad fantasy. Especially when it's basically just fantasy anyways but the swords look like a fisher price toy
>>
Because swords are cooler than guns and swords in a sci fi setting are retarded
>>
>>378921072
Yeah fuck, the audio in general had some issues
>songs don't loop
>voices and songs going over each other in cutscenes
>questionable song implementation at times
>>
It's just easier to copy good old Dragon Quest when all else fails because jrpgs were born of tabletop games, Wizardry and DnD. The Science fiction and urban fantasy just sort of branched off from that original idea.
>>
File: 67.jpg (40KB, 625x415px) Image search: [Google]
67.jpg
40KB, 625x415px
>>378923803
Hell name 1
>>
>>378924238
not to mention
>some of the best pieces from the OST weren't even used
What was the sound director thinking
>>
File: 1483839882067.jpg (20KB, 340x275px) Image search: [Google]
1483839882067.jpg
20KB, 340x275px
>>378923815
I agree.

The image in the OP looks fucking shitty
>>
>>378924367
Summon Night: Swordcraft Story
>>
>>378924414
>unyeah
>>
File: 1485839726471.png (996KB, 1080x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485839726471.png
996KB, 1080x600px
>>378919825
Fuck I can't wait for Xeno Art Online to come out and turn out to be complete shit. Takahashi sold out and the backlash against this garbage will be his punishment for alienating former fans.
>releasing on a console that is inevitably going to sell <15 million lifetime sales
>selling less than 500k copies
>getting at most 70 on metacritic
>will end up killing Takahashi's career for good

>>378923263
This. He sold out to a greedy megacorporation. Fact.
>>
>>378924439
>Summon Night: Swordcraft Story
Wow, you're absolutely right, except you're not. Fucking magic everywhere in that cringefest.

Try again.
>>
>>378924512
nintendo everyone
>>
>>378924673
Like?
>>
>>378915126
Because these days there's little difference. Plenty of "fantasy" works end up tossing in advanced technology, while plenty of "sci-fi" works are simply written as fantasy with made-up pseudo-futuristic stuff tossed in.
>>
>>378915126
oh my shit, why does it look so good though?
>>
>>378915582
>I want flying mechs in another Xeno game
Don't worry about the future, it's alright.
There's still hope Monolith will juggle between Xenoblade and X as two different series.
>>
File: faced mechons.png (498KB, 1024x566px) Image search: [Google]
faced mechons.png
498KB, 1024x566px
>>378917148
Play the first Xenoblade.
>>
>>378924848
I really wish they would just come right out and say whether there's any hope for a Xenoblade X sequel or not. Keeping us in suspense like this is just shitty.
>>
>>378919347
>What do I have to look forward to now
Don't worry, I'm sure Nintendo's going to reveal Metroid Another M at E3
>>
>>378915126
whats the bottom half? It looks fun
>>
>>378924714
>Summon Beast
>Enchant Fire

Off the top of my head, also:
http://summonnight.wikia.com/wiki/Sapureth

Literally made of mana.
>>
>>378924965
Top one is Xenoblade Chronicles X.
Bottom one is Xenoblade Chronicles 2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJuiTw6nk7A
>>
>>378915126
Mechs still look like 1980
>>
File: what the hell.jpg (115KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
what the hell.jpg
115KB, 1280x720px
>>378924615
sheesh, why are you guys so bitter about it?
Why do /v/ anons always want games to be shit?
It's such a poor mentality, the character design looks horrendous, but there's still so much more we don't know yet.
And so far just looking at the progression of the Blade series this game is going to build off of XCX's gameplay mechanics.
You guys need to have a more optimistic and open mind, you're just looking at downsides and reaching for reasons to be anrgy.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (292KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
292KB, 1920x1080px
>He doesn't like realistic mechs
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kfL9zTT68g
>>
>>378925032
Then how about XCX itself
>>
>>378925087
Oh no, please tell me there isn't another autistic movement or campaign starting up
>>
File: 250px-BoFIVBox.png (157KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-BoFIVBox.png
157KB, 250x250px
Both have great potential to be highly original, the thing is that it's so much easier to make establish a world with sci fi as logic will be less questioned.

What pisses me off is everyone takes inspiration frim medieval Europe and nowhere else. I wish more games tried a full on Arabic or Asian influence, or fucking anything. BoFIV had a really cool world inspired by Japanese, Chinese, abd Korean culture, it was incredibly memorable and fresh. Shame the series died.
>>
>>378925120
eh, I mean they're alright, but they don't really do it for me that much anymore.
The only realistic mecha stuff I've touched recently are Armored Core 4, Full metal Panic and Dual Gear.
>>
>>378925165
I don't play japshit games.
>>
Why do we have to choose between sci-fi and fantasy? Why can't we have more settings that have elements of both?
>>
>>378925380
Then why are you in this thread?
>>
>>378925380
What does it matter, you got your answer
>>
File: Xenogears Chronicles.png (398KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
Xenogears Chronicles.png
398KB, 520x390px
>>378925158
>Those character artworks
10/10
>>
>>378925425
That usually gets you stuff like Star Ocean where it's not really that sci-fi and you spend most of your time in regular jrpg fantsy worlds.
>>
File: 1481167919901.png (195KB, 331x323px) Image search: [Google]
1481167919901.png
195KB, 331x323px
>>378915126
Because XCX was a mishmash of great ideas executed extremely fucking poorly while XC was perfect all the way through.
>>
>>378925506
There should be a Xenogears ester egg in XC2 where this happens for a sidequest or something.
>>
>>378925425
Why can't people realize that that's already what Xenoblade is? A sci-fi universe with fantasy elements implanted because the world was destroyed and recreated by a massive fucking nerd and then "fixed" by yet another nerd.
>>
>>378925583
>Xenoblade
>perfect
not with those sidequests
>>
>>378925641
They were quick and easy to complete. I'd rather have a strong main plot and weak sidequests than piss-poor story and great sidequests like XCX.
>>
>>378925053
I want I want I want I want I want I want
>>
>>378925753
Then it's not fucking perfect, you dum-dum
>>
File: XC2-005.png (707KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
XC2-005.png
707KB, 1280x720px
I remember back in like December 2015 right after Xenoblade X came out, people were talking about how Monolith Soft had posted an ad looking for 3D modelers.
If only I could've warned everyone that this shit is what we were getting.
>>
>>378925431
Curiosity, usually leading to disappointment.
>>
>>378925893
I used to be so pissed about this but fuck it, I'd be wasting too much energy being salty over this.

Now I'm just hoping they do 4 things
1.further develop XCX's battle mechanics
2.Take what they learned developing Botw and XCX's open worlds and create one of the best open worlds to date
3.Deliver on great sidequests that expand the setting ans story.
4.Give us a proper story, I don't even care if it's mediocre or a retread of a past story, just give us something conclusive.
>>
>>378926153
I just don't understand how they can create such an interesting world and set-up and then just throw it all away.
>>
File: 1.png (271KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
271KB, 500x454px
reminder
>>
>>378925120
>mechs
>realistic

Choose one and only one senpai
>>
>>378926292
Happens all the time and you know it
Fucking Golden Sun
>>
File: Sym-Bionic Titan vs Shaman.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Sym-Bionic Titan vs Shaman.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>378926421
It seems to happen to EVERYTHING I like, not just vidya.
>>
>>378926420
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxfKZZ4RNng
close enough
>>
>>378925805
>wanting Xeno Art Online
You're the reason why Takahashi sold out.

>>378926384
God I can't fucking wait for Xeno Art Online to be considered the worst game of 2018, because that's what it's literally going to be at this rate.

>>378925893
Fuck five months and I'm still mad. Why did Takahashi have to betray the fans who have followed him since the beginning? Wouldn't be surprised if /v/ organizes a mass boycott after the E3 trailer comes out and inevitably exposes this game as a complete shit.
>>
>>378926420
https://youtu.be/aUdUP4WobSU?t=63
>>
>>378917225
I'm curious how inspired Nintendo was from Grow Home
>>
>>378926763
God damn this looks like shit. I mean I get that you can only get something so good when using MWO as a base to make a single player game off of but it completely lacks the feeling of weight and scale compared to the other MW games.
>>
>>378926384
>>378925893
Looks like we're being geared up for the most trashiest game of 2017. Fucking shameful what Monolith Soft has become. I only wish them the worst because of this game.
>>
>>378924414

seriously, especially Japanese sci fi in RPGs. It comes across less as sci fi and more as a bad power rangers lord of the rings mix
>>
File: laugh.jpg (18KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
laugh.jpg
18KB, 600x450px
>>378915662
>>378915696
>>
>>378925104

Not him, but I'd love it if this was good, the sad truth is, it's shaping up to be Neo-Nintendo's next failure.

They have no idea how the fuck to make anything but Mario and Zelda anymore.

Look at Starfox, Metroid, and the like.

And before you say Nintendo had nothing to do with this, they even taint games they didn't have full control over like Paper Mario and Federation Force.

They're trying to turn Xenoblade into the next Fire Emblem, and it's just sad.
>>
>>378927769
Well said bro. Xeno Art Online is looking to be one of the worst games of the year, and the point where Takahashi sold out and went full nu-weeb waifushit. Yet another one of Neokikeshitendo's long line of blunders.

The only people who disagree with this are delusional weebcucks who are still clinging onto hope for their grorious country. It's over for Xeno bros. It's just another Fire Emblem to most of /v/ at this point.
>>
File: Vision-of-Escaflowne-Escaflowne.png (654KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Vision-of-Escaflowne-Escaflowne.png
654KB, 720x540px
WHY NOT BOTH?
>>
>>378925120
"realistic"

no thats just like saying dragons are "realistic".

"realistic" would actually just be tanks.
>>
KOWASHITAI
>>
File: SaGa 1.jpg (75KB, 544x640px) Image search: [Google]
SaGa 1.jpg
75KB, 544x640px
Or you can do both.
>>
>>378928175
>>378927769
And isn't it funny that nobody is debating us anymore? Seems like they have finally accepted reality. This truly is one of the greatest failures of the 2010s. Literally the Fembusters of vidya.
>new entry of a beloved series
>ends up alienating all former fans, they leave and are replaces with immigrants from cancerous demographics (For Xeno Art Online's case just replace feminists with nu-weebs)
>game ends up flopping due to backlash
>>
>>378925120
>MUH REALISTIC MECHfags always have to come into literally anything that has to do with big robots/mechs and shitpost endlessly about it
Literally one of the most obnoxious fanbases
>>
fantasy is based on thousands of years of real-life culture, sci-fi is based on some outdated 1950s idea that we're going to build spaceships and live on the moon and fly around the galaxy and fight aliens
>>
>>378922529
new shadowrun games
deus ex 2 and 4
daikatana
>>
>>378928376

I don't know if you're just falseflagging, but I really do hate the growing trend of "ironic" weeb normalfags that play anything that looks anime just to be different or laugh at the "anime meme"
>>
File: 1479934920361.jpg (48KB, 346x404px) Image search: [Google]
1479934920361.jpg
48KB, 346x404px
>>378915343
>prefer being the 12 year-old boy on the bottom
hell yeah I would
>>
>>378928353
I don't think that many SF/Fantasy hybrids back in the day were really results of careful thought for the setting and alike. They were more about "throw everything at the wall and see what sticks".
>>
>>378928597
a lot of sci-fi works are used as parables that critique the history and future of the human race.
Just look at cyberpunk as a genre, a lot of the stuff predicted there is now happening, or just an everyday facet of modern society.
>>
>>378928597
>fantasy is based on thousands of years of real-life culture
What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 08730550.jpg (74KB, 662x650px) Image search: [Google]
08730550.jpg
74KB, 662x650px
>>378925246
I actually really like it when RPGs have clear inspirations which is sadly quite rare as they're more of a hodgepodge for whatever devs like. Clear identity can add so much to a game.
>>
File: 1314011553058.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1314011553058.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>378925845
Side quests are of so little importance to me that it may as well be perfect.
You, however, just want a reason to argue and are willing to point out obvious exceptions thinking it will help the case.

Here's a little tip for you: there are exceptions to everything. If someone claims something is perfect, that doesn't actually mean it's without flaw, because perfection doesn't truly exist. Acting aggressive and haughty because you point that out doesn't make you smart.

When I call something perfect, I trust that you understand this. I will continue to trust you with this against my better judgement until you learn to behave like an adult.
>>
>>378928701
And those types of people are exactly what Takahashi is pandering to with Xeno Art Online. It's depressing as fuck that this is what our series has become.
>>
>>378916718
Warrior run in Diablo 1 is great. A man with a sword plunging himself into the abyss. He doesn't charge across the map, he doesn't spin himself into a whirlwind, it is only his sword, shield, and cunning to make it through. Low fantasy is great because there are actual challenges for the player since powerful demons or sorcerers aren't common, and there is a huge power gap between those beings and the player. It has a sort of realism to it due to that. Any normal person, or even fighter, would get burned to a crisp by a spell caster and would need to keep on guard.
>>
>>378928768
cyberpunk is an example of good sci-fi, most sci-fi is more like star trek, ie. bad
>>
>>378928768
>a lot of sci-fi works are used as parables that critique the history and future of the human race.

Isn't that exactly what SF was about originally? It only became about eye candy when we got into visual mediums like movies. Really good SF that stayed true to the intent of the genre has always been in the books.
>>
>>378928903
what was this influenced by?
>>
We are changing this.
>>
>>378928896
mythology and theology, parables and stories that have stayed with humankind for thousands of years
>>
>>378928950
>he thinks X wasn't anime pandering as fuck with LE EPIC KILL LA KILL/ATTACK ON TITAN MUSIC
>>
>>378927769
>nobody debating this post
Xeno is literally the most JUST series of the 2010s and literally nobody disagrees. First Monolithsoft was sold to Neokikeshitendo, now they turned it into basically another FE isekaishit LN.

Requiescat in pace, old friend.
>>
>>378928969
I'd argue star trek actually has very interesting concepts and lore but is hampered by the budget and constraints of being an episodic tv show.
>>
>>378928756
It is about various interlinked worlds connected by a sprawling tower. It can get away with having one world being a bit more traditional fantasy then a more natural land with palm trees everywhere, then suddenly thrown into the next world with a futuristic city in ruins.
>>
>>378929003
Yes, authors like Asimov, Clarke, and some other guys I'm forgetting were basically using these stories to not necessarily predict how the human race would end up, but rather examine and analyze how certain technologies could influence society.

A great example of this was Asimov's work on robotics, he was basically asking himself how they would function in everyday society and imagined all kinds of possibilities from the political issues they could cause to their impact on social interactions.

there are few works that come close but to be fair Asimov had like a 70+ year headstart on everyone else.
>>
>>378929128
As opposed to the isekai LN that is XC2? Face it, the series has been given the FE treatment. Takahashi is just like the rest of the Jap devs now. He sold out, sorry nu-weebs.
>>
>>378929142
star trek's vision of the future is laughably pretentious when real life turned out more like cyberpunk
>>
File: IEgWD1R.jpg (481KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IEgWD1R.jpg
481KB, 1280x720px
>Wont be able to create a character in Xenoblade 2
>Wont be able to switch classes and weapons for main character in Xenoblade 2
>Probably wont be able to dress character how ever you want in Xenoblade 2

I swear to god the game better have sprinting during battles at least from X. I cant go back to the original Xenoblade Chronicles. It's so fucking slow after playing X.
>>
>>378929007
Norse mythology and I don't mean just "dropping some familiar terms for recognition". There are other examples, too.
>>
>>378929238
>he literally thinks a game with a Sawano soundtrack isn't the epitome of nu-weeb garbage
>he unironically thinks KLK and AoT are good
>>
>>378929263
star trek got some of the basic domestic stuff about the future somewhat right, but the whole class 1/2 civilization and stuff was pretty much influenced by the optimism of the 1950s.
>>
>>378929309
I wasn't defending X, I was just lamenting a a series that became homogenized waifu haremshit by a man who sold his soul to Neokikeshitendo. The inarguable fact is that XB2 is looking to be another failure from them.
>>
>>378929282
>Wont be able to create a character in Xenoblade 2
to be fair it wasn't that good in XCX, it was a nice thing to have but it was implemented in mediocrity.

>>378929296
That's really cool, I've always wanted to be able to create a fictional setting that pulls from history and mythology.
Currently I've been trying to work out one that's influenced by colonialism and eastern/african cultures so I've been trying to research those a bit.
>>
>>378929282
What if Xenoblade 2 separates single player from multiplayer modes, multiplayer having create-a-character and lobbies you can join to do series of quests and boss fights with other people?
>>
>>378929531
>I've always wanted to be able to create a fictional setting that pulls from history and mythology.
if you create any fictional setting it will inevitably pull from history and mythology seeing that's what you've been brought up to know, the only difference is how aware of it you are
>>
File: xkpdxr.jpg (494KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
xkpdxr.jpg
494KB, 1280x720px
>>378929682
Eh, that sounds like the same shit from X. Multiplayer for RPG's is always boring.

I play RPGs to explore the worlds. I would rather do it as a hot milf than some little kid (even younger than shulk) with the sword being some girl.
>>
>>378921142
I always forget how awful the soundtrack is. Chock full of fucking unaltered garageband loops. I hope to god they didn't pay the composer very much.
>>
File: coop_img_01_large.jpg (43KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
coop_img_01_large.jpg
43KB, 800x450px
>>378929682
you really have to wonder how many players care about mp in their jrpgs unless that's kinda where the meat of the game is like in, for example, white knight chronicles. did anyone with mp in chronicles x or the last story?
>>
>>378929940
The only time I bothered with multiplayer in XCX was to grind the Nemesis bosses for tickets. The normal missions were pure cancer
>>
File: batman-rain-face.gif (352KB, 499x289px) Image search: [Google]
batman-rain-face.gif
352KB, 499x289px
>>378928903
>mfw VP2 had better combat, but pretty much inferior everything else

I think seeing Einherjar reduced from proper characters in VP1 into just a names list for classes hurt the most.
>>
>>378928934
On the other hand, those same sidequests, being as trivial as they were, actually detracted from my personal experience with the game, given how cool of a setting living in a giant is and how they could have delved more into it, but instead the great majority of them focus on fetching bear asses to some dude who only shows up at night.
As such, I cannot boldly claim that the game is perfect, and hopefully you will understand this like the adult you are.
>>
File: seriosulybro.jpg (13KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
seriosulybro.jpg
13KB, 512x384px
>>378930036
>I think seeing Einherjar reduced from proper characters in VP1

What are you kidding? VP1 had fuck all for character.

You'd get some shitty front loaded long winded death scene and then bam they're in your party where you can ship them off to Valhallah at your leisure.

The game doesn't even have a story if you don't follow some retarded series of events that require a guide.
>>
>>378930036
>Every main character ends up being a VP1 character in disguise

Being a standalone game would have actually helped it. Fuck Lezard.
>>
File: 1436230842270.jpg (40KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1436230842270.jpg
40KB, 640x480px
>>378925158
>Teriyaki Toyota
>>
>>378917025
Because XCX isn't actually a sequel to Xenoblade if anything its the real successor to the old Xeno games but whoever decided to call it 'Xenoblade Chronicles X' should be shot for such horribly confusing and misleading title.
>>
>>378931156
Honestly I agree. It should've just been called "Xenocross" or something.
Thread posts: 235
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.