[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

On the similarities between Breath of the Wild and Dragon Quest Series

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: Dq9.jpg (343KB, 674x600px) Image search: [Google]
Dq9.jpg
343KB, 674x600px
So, it's been a month that I've beaten BotW and started playing Dragon Quest IX, I'm on the part where you're escaping prison.

Am I the only one who noticed the huge similarities between both games? People say BotW was hugely influenced by Skyrim, Far Cry and other Ubisoft open-worlds, but I think it has been much more influenced by Dragon Quest games, apart from the combat obviously.

Both games are all about the adventure that the character goes on and saving the world, but they also doesn't take themselves very seriously, there are a lot of cute and funny moments. Dragon Quest is also known for its christian references and since Skyward Sword, Zelda has been having a lot of those references also, notice how the statues that you pray to in BotW resembles the Virgin Mary. The story in both games is also very simple and straightfoward, you go on helping the villages and meeting people who eventually help you, both games also deal with some heavy themes like death and loneliness, another thing that I find nice is that the games, especially Dragon Quest, doesn't fall for some really common anime tropes. The graphics on both are also very cartoony without being too "childish". BotW also introduced the character's diaries which give some lore to the characters and from what I've seen this is also heavily present on Dragon Quest. Lastly both relies on exploration.

And there are even more similarities like Dungeon design, non-linearity, heartwarming characters/story, comfyness, bosses/enemy designs etc.

The gameplay is the only part where they differ greatly.

In short, I think BotW is much more influenced by the likes of Dragon Quest than Skyrim of Far Cry. I was really surprised by a lot of the similarities I noticed in both games, even the fucking protagonists are mute. Am I being crazy here or does someone also noticed all that?
>>
Well every japanese game ever is influenced by DQ one way or another.
>>
>>378914420
What do you mean? I think mostly JRPGs are.
>>
>>378914467
Well Horii is seen like a master comparable to tezuka in manga, all nip developers have played DQ games at least once, but yes the influence will be more clear in adventure/jrpg games that arent just trying to be anime.
I also found really funny how many reviewers even those that supposedly know a lot about JP games complained about link being mute and it being awkward in cutscenes, they also complained similarly with pokemon sun/moon, after so many years youd think theyd understand why thats the case but I guess they have been playing too many western games where the characters never shut up.
>>
>>378914764
>I also found really funny how many reviewers even those that supposedly know a lot about JP games complained about link being mute and it being awkward in cutscenes, they also complained similarly with pokemon sun/moon, after so many years youd think theyd understand why thats the case but I guess they have been playing too many western games where the characters never shut up.

Same people who complain about the "lack" of a good and complex story in Zelda games.
>>
Finding vague similarities and giving only specific examples can make anything sound similar.
>>
>>378915663
Also about the story botw is not about the big bad but about the NPC stories, DQ has always been this way.
>>
>>378916510
Where have I done that?
>>
>>378917103
Take everything in the OP and replace "Dragon Quest" with "Legend of Legacy". Or "Steambot Chronicles". Or " Chrono Cross".

You notice how a wide spectrum of games seems to fit every description you gave? Drawing comparisons isn't a flawed thing, but keep in mind everything takes inspiration from something else. You shouldn't limit yourself to just one source.
>>
>>378917580
>You notice how a wide spectrum of games seems to fit every description you gave?
I don't.
>>
>>378918807
>Being selective
K
>>
>>378916596

Most Zelda's have had a larger focus on NPC stories than the main narrative anon. That isn't new to BOTW.
>>
>>378913360
Shitty analysis. You're retarded. Kill yourself.
>>
>>378919703
Maybe is because of the sidequests that I felt that way
Previous zelda the npcs just felt like stepping stones
>>
>>378920245
And that's how you know the ones who played Majora's Mask and the ones who didn't.
>>
>>378920546
I knew this post was coming, MM is the one exception yes.
>>
>>378921739
Why?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.