[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is the best SMT game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_1858.jpg (86KB, 256x230px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1858.jpg
86KB, 256x230px
This is the best SMT game
>>
>>378909849
srpg fans prefer DeSu2. Non-srpg fans prefer 1.
>>
>>378909849
I liked the second one more. Blue menus, better skill cracking, slightly better fusion system and skill customization for fused demons. Also it's technically MegaTen, SMT refers to mainline Shin Megami Tensei regardless of the subtitle on the cover, unless you are new to the franchise, then idc, use whatever you want.
>>
>>378909849
Explain why you think so.

>>378910092
I'm a SRPG fan but I still think the first one is a better game. Although 2 does add a lot of demons and skills, I find the additions make the player considerably overpowered so there's less need to plan and come up with unique tactics for various maps. Also the first game has a much better atmosphere and story.
>>
>>378909849
BEST MUSIC COMIN THROUGH

https://youtu.be/Hjfo_AuGEFk
>>
Digital devil saga's cover looks pretty weird in that image
>>
>>378910817
Not him but
The first one was equally easy. The only point of actual challenge for an SRPG fan is possibly Lucifer. People that haven't tried any others might find it challenging but I assure you it is not. The atmosphere is fine in both, but it really is not intended to appeal to the same audience. One is more isolated and focuses on a traditionally styled megaten setting with a plot that begins slow and snowballs, the other focuses on the personal aspects of the characters and establishes them in a way to endear them to the player. I don't think either had particularly stellar narrative but neither stood over the other by a particularly large margin.
>>
>>378910817
>Although 2 does add a lot of demons and skills, I find the additions make the player considerably overpowered so there's less need to plan and come up with unique tactics for various maps.

?

The way demons learn skills is far more OP in 1 than 2, and so is the way Recarm works in 1 vs. 2. Not to mention Holy Dance arguably being the most broken of the broken skills in either game. Multistrike in 2 comes close but requires more/later game investment to be fully optimized.

>Also the first game has a much better atmosphere and story

Hence why 2 vs. 1 is a very reliable casual filter. People who prefer the superior gameplay of 2 vs. people who prefer the superior plot of 1 in spite of the inferior gameplay.

I mean I'm not going to say you don't like srpgs, but I'm thinking maybe Disgaea and Fire Emblem.
>>
>>378910817
I still don't get why /v/ praises the plot of this game so much. Other Megaten games have much better plots and this one is pathetically slow and often attempts to deliberately irritate people but then tries to turn it around but it's set by then. Awful. 2 was just bland jrpg alien battle crap.
>>
>>378909849
>not overclcoed
>>
>>378911276
Both are easy but I felt like the gameplay in the first game was more interesting because the side objectives like NPC and stuff impacted the game more. You actually had to factor that stuff into your party composition, whereas in 2 you could just steamroll over everything then worry about side objectives later.

Both games tried different approaches but in my opinion the first game was a lot more effective. The first game used characters as props to support the story and all the facets were well integrated to build the oppressive atmosphere and create a cohesive experience. The second game develops the characters more independently, however the various parts of the game don't mesh together as well and the 'character building' isn't a big strength despite the alternative approach because the characters are rather generic executions of tropes. I don't think one approach is better than the other in principle but out of devil survivor 1&2 I think 1 was better.

>>378911286
I agree that the way demons learn skills is superior in the second game, but there are just so many powerful demons and skills you can obtain in 2 that do not exist in 1. You also have characters with better stat distributions and innate resists. It's not hard to have every character outspeed any group of enemies and OHKO them all. Furthermore, there are many new racial abilities that are just plain silly. I recall there was one group of demons that could give you another free turn, for instance.

What are you talking about regarding recarm? I'm struggling to think of any difference.

>I mean I'm not going to say you don't like srpgs, but I'm thinking maybe Disgaea and Fire Emblem.
I'm not a fan of disgaea but FE5 is my favourite SRPG so I guess you got me. Please enlighten me with your superior tastes; I'm always looking for more SRPGs to play.
I don't think this situation is analogous to Langrisser II vs Der Langrisser; I think Devil Survivor 1 is better in both story and gameplay.
>>
DeSu isn't SMT.
>>
>>378912964
I believe you simply played the first and had enough experience to beat the second with relative ease. I did not find anything in 1 to be particularly challenging and it was roughly the same ease to abuse skills from easy to acquire demons to crush the game into a fine paste. There was no challenge. And no, the plot of the first game was very poor, both the games focus on singular story elements far too much to create a proper story. 1 heavily neglects the character development simply because it focuses too much on using them to enrich the setting and the flow of the plot. It is indeed more cohesive but fundamentally it is a poor plot and several characters could have improved the story by simply not existing. It suffers heavily from this. On the other hand, 2 focuses too much on the characters, providing each of them with an individual plotline that gives them proper development and changes with the player's decisions, but lacks the same cohesiveness of the first due to these being too separate from the main plot. Also a poor narrative overall.
Both games had heavily generic characters, I'm sick of people trying to pass off the tropes and cliches of the first as more acceptable than the second. Both damage the merit of the characters and the only reason that it is more notable in the second is due to it being as I said above.

They are good games but neither excels at storytelling or srpg gameplay.
>>
>>378912964
>>378914064
They had the almost same goddamn gameplay with a few minor tweaks. You never had to put a shitload of thought into any of the customization, just "hey lots of immunities," racial skills, and whatever you thought would beat enemies. The games are not that deep, and both of them had npc shit and time management shit. Good lord is this shit why people think SMT fans are so obnoxious?
>>
>>378912964
>factor stuff into party comp and side stuff impacted the game more
Yeah no, that's bullshit. Both games did this. Everything else is fine though.
>>
File: Bird gazing at reflection.png (73KB, 876x504px) Image search: [Google]
Bird gazing at reflection.png
73KB, 876x504px
>>378912964
Imo, the first game was worse in story because it was so bland, slow and it reminded me a lot of the other megaten games I had played. 2 had interesting bosses and likeable characters for the most part, and the ending was better in at least two paths. Also record breaker came with more in the remake than overclocked did, so I enjoyed that part.
>>
>>378909849
Out of the like 16 or so SMT games i've played completed, Devil Survivor is by far my least favorite. SRPGs are not for me I guess, the game's damn slow. Don't see what others do for this game. Haru was qt tho
>>
>>378914787
how was 2 good. it jumped from demons to space aliens.
>>
>>378914064
>>378914568
Alright, I could be misremembering the gameplay, it's been a long time.
I still don't agree about the story though, I think it's perfectly valid to focus on the plot rather than characters.
Regarding the generic characters: generic characters are much more of a problem in character-focused games than in plot-focused games, that's why it gets brought up when talking about devil survivor 2.
>>
>>378909849
I agree with OP.
Wild story and most challenging and fun gameplay.
All the bosses had a nice twist to them that you couldn't cheese out of.

>>378911561
>Megaten games have much better plots
which ones did you have in mind?

>>378914787
>Imo, the first game was worse in story because it was so bland, slow and it reminded me a lot of the other megaten games
really? I thought the story was the most entertaining out of all the megatens i've played.
>that keisuke/yama vs kaido/pazuzu
>that kudlak vs kresnick story arc
>all those bels that you had to fight
>black frost justice warrior
>morning star battle
i haven't played the game in a while but i remember there was never really a low point in the story for me
>>
>>378909849
I played overclocked and it was the tits. Never did beat lucifer. I have the 3ds version of DeSu2 and I have yet to play it still.

DeSu had some great characters: best to worst
>atsubro
>gin
>haru
>soldier girl
>gangsters girlfriend
>amane
>naoya
>keisuke
>yuzu
>gangster

Also, overclocked had better music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbnGWqYCB9s
>>
>>378916679
It was so boring and the characters were so hateable. Keisuke, Midori, Yuzu, and Haru were around "I want these people to leave the plot" tier, the only one that was like it in 2 was Ronaldo who was about as bad as Keisuke. The bels were just more boss demons, the setting was another standard megaten one. It moved slowly and those good moments were too far and few between compared to the annoying or boring parts. I didn't like the story and struggled to finish the game because it was so bad. Black Frost was god-tier though.
In 2 I cared about my units and only one character was so awful I actively despised him. Space aliens with demon powers were a nice change from the bland normal demon bosses in 1, which were no different than the ones in every other game.
>>
>>378917172
I liked 1 more but overclocked had dogshit music compared to 2. Any of the good tracks played incredibly rarely and the crappy repetitive ones like "free battle" or the city theme played way too often.
>>
>>378911276
2 is stupidly easy because you can just use demons with that skill that gives you like a six space attack range and murder everything without getting touched.
>>
>>378917434
>free battle
People actually fight free battles?
That's almost as ridiculous as letting your human characters die in battle.
>>
>>378916337
That's what I said though with "as I said above" about the characters. It was less of an issue than people made it out to be in both games but it still hurt them. Ironically enough, for both, too many people focus on the awfully written and deliberately irritating characters without mentioning the ones that were actually passable, like people focusing on Midori in 1 for being retarded while serviceable characters were surrounding her or people ignoring Keita in 2 while he has a character arc that goes far beyond many of the female characters and is actually affected by gameplay.
>>
File: 1496188557455.png (228KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1496188557455.png
228KB, 500x376px
>>378917172
>Never did beat lucifer.
I got my ass kicked several times and right before giving up I stacked as many +damage skills on my mc as possible and it worked.
>>
>>378917579
1 is stupidly easy because you can easily crush the game with skills that are less powerful than Evil Wave. Both games have horrible balancing issues.
>>
>>378916337
It's fine to focus on one over the other but both games did it in a bit of an excess that harmed the overall narrative. You can focus on plot/setting without neglecting the characters, and you can focus on characters/development without letting the setting/plot fall behind. It's no excuse for either game to have an unbalanced plot.
>>
>>378917704
The music plays in many mandatory story/side battles as well.
>>
File: download.jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
10KB, 259x194px
>>378909849

Silly OP you posted the wrong image!
>>
>>378917890
I could always get him down to his last form using pierce and hassohapa. But I was screwed when it came to his final form. He was practically invincible unless you froze him or paralyzed him. My dark magic spells were never strong enough and he'd megidolan me to death every time.
>>
>>378915929
Yeah but it's for one game and I've gone through a ton of games fighting the same demons over and over. It's nice to see something new.
>>
>>378918230
>SMT will never have dungeon crawling like this again
>>
>>378918374

If you enjoyed SMT SJ's dungeon crawling you should try The Dark Spire. The only Atlus game to contend with SJ in regards to dungeon crawling
>>
>>378917312
>The bels were just more boss demons
sounds to me like you haven't even delved far enough into the game to formulate an good opinion.

the bels were the highest points in the games because they had a challenging gimmick to them.
day 6 and 7 are the best parts because they do a great job at fixing megaten's typical shitty metagame.
>>
File: 1474242843785.jpg (32KB, 170x199px) Image search: [Google]
1474242843785.jpg
32KB, 170x199px
>>378909849
>>best SMT game
>posts a Megami Ibunroku game
>>
>>378918745
No, I beat it. They were just demons but with boss status. It's like how Ose was a boss in one but is a normal demon in others. I wasn't talking about their boss gimmicks, both devil survivors had boss gimmicks. I was talking about the fact that they were the same kind of enemy. Hell, I can summon a Beldr in other games. I liked the change in 2 since those weren't outfit demons but demons still existed. 1 was just more of the same.
>>
File: IMG_1459.png (1MB, 969x879px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1459.png
1MB, 969x879px
Nah
>>
>>378918651
Not him but does dark spire have mapping? I enjoyed SJ but hated that the maps were premade crap.
>>
>>378909849
Shut the fuck up and die you fucking retard nigger
>>
>>378919685
Well that was a little abrupt. I'm not a huge desu fan but that's a little far.
>>
>>378919562

IMO premade makes for better quality than randomly generated but yes The Dark Spire is premade. However you can't mark the map by simply exploring a tile you need to cast a certain spell with very finite uses to even see where you are which adds to the challenge.
>>
>>378909849
Persona is the best SMT game faggots
>>
>>378920167
No, I meant premade as in it was already mapped out for you. I enjoy drawing my own maps. I hate random/procedural generation laziness in any game.
>>
>>378918374

>first person dungeon crawling
>good
>>
>>378920383

Ah my bad well you'll definitely enjoy The Dark Spire then.
>>
>>378909849
looks and plays like ass
>>
>>378920597
Good. Sucks that I'll probably have to emulate it but beggars can't be choosers.
>>
>>378920579

>You
>Faggot
>>
>>378909849
I was a couple days into this and stopped at some fight that really pissed me off, I still don't think I had a great grasp of the mechanics, I should pick it back up after SMTIVA
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.