[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Facial animation in video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

What are the most convincing faces in gaming?
&
What are the most unconvincing faces in gaming?
>>
I just finished far cry 3 and though it wasn't amazing in itself I was amazed at just how shitty ME:A animation is compared to such an old game
>>
>>378882495
faces and character models as a whole look really damn good in Nioh
>>
Any game from the Souls series.
>>
>>378882704
you mean they're bad and unconvincing right?
>>
>>378882704
Look, I love the souls series, but c'mon.
Facial animation (or lack thereof) is one of its biggest weak points.
>>
>>378883260

No, i mean that if you don't reply to this post your dick will split in two by midnight.
>>
>>378883460

Sometimes i forget who i am dealing with when posting here. I'm sorry for your down's, hopefully they can cure that one day.
>>
>>378882495
Are you serious? He barely moves a muscle in that video.
>>
>>378883491
>>378883659
back to 9gag
>>
Seriously, Nioh has a decent amount of problems, but the cutscenes and facial animations are out of this fucking world and every character has a staggering and surprising amount of detail
Nioh is definitely number one currently
>>
>>378884034
It's quite funny how a face that doesn't move looks better than the majority of stuff that over animate and make every expression look weird.
>>
>>378882495
>hl2 was released in 2004
>>
File: IMG_20170529_131200.jpg (80KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170529_131200.jpg
80KB, 1000x500px
>>
>>378884223
Come the fuck on nigga. The only thing that stands out is that it has pretty good lip sync, otherwise it just has good facial animations, worthy of praise but not something the average normie would be impressed with.

Nioh is also a stepdown in terms of animations in general compared to Ninja Gaiden.
>>
File: 1490468033557.webm (396KB, 622x742px) Image search: [Google]
1490468033557.webm
396KB, 622x742px
>>378882592
>>
>>378884978
maybe play the game first
>>
>keep seeing reviewers complement Injustice 2's facial animation
>95% of them don't realize it's all CGI
>>
>>378885163
Amazing argument you shit eating fanboy. Get the fuck out of here.
>>
>>378885207
What does that even mean
>>
>>378884258
wtf you are saying nothing with that. I didn't play Uncharted 4 but I'm sure there most be a better scene to show. There is nothing special in tha webm.
>>
>>378885207
Do you not know that video games use facial animation similar to CGI? The biggest difference is the amount of time/money you invest moment to moment.
>>
>>378885301
>blah blah blah I talk shit about games I have no experience with
t. /v/eddit aka you
>>
Enslaved has really good facial animation, especially the eyes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjkYhhieRX4

then you also have Timesplitters
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCR47XHTr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tekc9dtiCGE
>>
>>378885474
Yeah, but it's one thing to do it in a pre-recorded FMV, and then trying to get that running realtime since most devs are not going to waste resources on the amount of polygons/shaders a face needs for convincing facial animations midgame.
>>
>>378887325
kind of, you can have a more detailed rig and character that can have some extra details but at the state graphics and animation is right now in real time you can make facial animations that can stand out from the crowd with the standard facial rigs and models.

Most games still dont pay much attention to facial animation.
>>
>>378887314
time splitters future perfect was magical.
>>
>>378887325
True i guess some of the skin simulation stuff they do in CGI isn't really something you can put in real time clips. But at the same time when you look at the new The Last of Us part 2 you can see some really high quality skin simulation (looks like skin is ontop of a skeleton etc. etc.) compared to what we have seen before.
>>
>>378882495
his face hardly moved
>>
>>378888126
It's all about subtlety. His cheekbones pulled up as he began to turn along with a wince of his eyebrows, probably because he's in pain or some shit.
>>
L.A Noire
>>
Nate is really cute.
>>
>>378889047
Not really convincing given the shit graphics on the faces.
>>
>>378885207
the fuck are you talking about
>>
Alien: Isolation was absolutely gorgeous but the facial animations (and the goddamn lip synch) were awful.
>>
>>378889047
LA Noire is 3d FMV though.

And you got the bodies lacking the body language that would accompany the face half the time.
>>
>>378890927
All it needs is a few more polygons and better textures and it would be the best by a country mile
>>
>>378892762
No because the eyes look dead in that game. While the mannerism shine through the eyes are completely dead when looking at an angle.
>>
I liked RAGE's facial animation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVTDr8VpuI
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.