[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't get where RPGs get this reputation for being a genre

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1485458122421.gif (3MB, 470x522px) Image search: [Google]
1485458122421.gif
3MB, 470x522px
I don't get where RPGs get this reputation for being a genre where you have to be smart to play them and require high strategy. A lot of them come off as mediocre number boosters where you're supposed to be entertained by the just as mediocre story. "Difficult" RPGs always seem to be like that because they require a asston of grinding so your numbers match the average enemy's or read up on how the poorly explained mechanics work and find out despite all the options the game presents there's only 1 that will actually see you to the end. SRPGs and roguelikes are ok though.
>>
>>378861253
because normalfags are casual shitters who think if you have to stop before attack it's "deep combat", but at the same time they find it boring as fuck so they think only high IQ people can get into it
>>
>>378861383
I suppose so. My brother thinks Persona 5 is one of the most difficult things in existence.
>>
>>378861253
you are playing non rpgs and glorified adventure games
>>
>>378863158
What is a true RPG?
>>
CRPGs are glorified visual novels.
>>
>>378861253
Because people who play RPGs are normally scrubs who can't play real games.
>>
Reminder that if you grind to get past tough parts in RPGs you're a filthy casual. Only the old ones really require grinding, with current RPGs you can win by just thinking up a new strategy.
>>
>>378867331
>Strategy
>RPGs

Huh?
>>
>>378867701
>get fucked hard by a boss or something
>reload and think of a new strategy of attack
>win this time
>no grinding required

Grinding is a crutch for scrubs.
>>
File: wizardry4.jpg (96KB, 584x892px) Image search: [Google]
wizardry4.jpg
96KB, 584x892px
>>378861253
Because a good portion of the hardest games ever made were RPGs
>>
>>378868582
Wizardry 4 is broken like any other turn based game. If you can beat a game just by knowledge then it's a trash game.
>>
>>378868372
I'm not even talking about grinding. When you fight a boss in an RPG, the first time you're just taking notes of what it does and if you win, great. If you lose you know what it does and how to counter it. So you don't waste your time using skills that just don't work on it etc. It's like considering after you almost got blasted robbing a house while the owner was home and decide to come when he isn't. That isn't strategy, it's common sense in response to something you didn't know before.
>>
>>378868582
Is this game actually hard or is it just another rpg where the stats, mechanics, etc aren't understood by most players and it becomes a puzzle game with numbers?
>>
>>378864349
No they're not, they're worse visual novels. The gameplay almost always just wastes a bunch of time and inevitably causes me to drop the game after about 60 hours in some long, boring mid-game dungeon. At least VNs get to the point.
>>
>>378869073
yes
>>
>>378869482
Thanks.
>>
>>378869073
>puzzle game with numbers
what a retarded way to simplify these games
>>
>>378863756
Actual tabletop games
>>
>>378871153
What games? I was talking about the one he/you posted. What makes it hard?
>>
>>378861253
OP the fact that you think RPGs require grinding shows that they're too difficult fro you and that you're bad at them.
>>
>>378864349
>icewind dale
>visual novel
Kek
>>
File: uerr.jpg (57KB, 389x643px) Image search: [Google]
uerr.jpg
57KB, 389x643px
>have to be smart
Smart people don't play videogames
>>
File: Smug_a4c9dd_5762907.jpg (14KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
Smug_a4c9dd_5762907.jpg
14KB, 300x169px
>this reputation for being a genre where you have to be smart to play them and require high strategy

Nobody things this.

Your average RPG requires less thought than the campaign in Halo on easy.
>>
>>378872525
I never said that, and it mostly depends on the game and how its mechanics work.
>>
>>378873929
Yes you literally said that.

> "Difficult" RPGs always seem to be like that because they require a asston of grinding

This means you are bad at those games.
>>
>>378861253
grinding in RPGs, mainly JRPGs, are like borderline using the console in a FPS to cheat yourself unlimited ammo. the challenge in turn based RPGs comes from trying to do it at the lowest level possible. it requires knowledge of mechanics and encounters to pull off properly.
>>
>>378874050
The big thing is that people will often take the "easiest" way out even if it's the least fun.

Thus, grinding.
>>
>>378874037
Yes, I'm talking about games where they're not difficult at all outside of being timesinks. As someone stated before, older rpgs. I never said the genre as a whole required grinding. As you yourself stated:

>the fact that you think RPGs require grinding...

I'm still open to RPGs that require you to do more strategy than knowing a square block can't fit inside a circle hole.
>>
RPGs aren't for smart people, everything is scripted and formulaic.
>>
>>378874037

I want to see someone do a grindless run of FF1 without abusing exploits/glitches.
>>
>>378864349
>It's a good game
>Only if you ignore the shitty combat and only focus on the shitty story and how extensive the CYOA gets!
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.