[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In retrospect, was the writing for these really that good?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: Brood Throne.jpg (113KB, 553x363px) Image search: [Google]
Brood Throne.jpg
113KB, 553x363px
In retrospect, was the writing for these really that good?
>>
Better than what they preceded, that is for certain.
>>
No, but it was perfectly adequate for the camp aesthetic and settings are compelling enough.
>>
>>378822907

It was all right. It may not capture you now, but at the time and for its target audience (teenagers) it was very enthralling. The writing was rich enough to inspire long running sequels of both genres, so I'd say yes, it was pretty good.

Succesful writing is more important to establish than "good" writing when it comes to a video game, anyway. Not everything has to be Tolstoy
>>
No. Why didn't Kerrigan just infest everyone like she did with Duran? Why did they just trust her in Brood War?
>>
The writing was good, not amazing but they did a good enough job.

The writing in SC2 at least is trash straight out of some fan fiction website shit hole.
>>
>>378822907
Highly memorable and very well delivered
>>
>>378822907

Warcraft III's writing was great compared to what was out at the time, and its still leagues better than the clusterfuck that later WoW became.
>>
I remember being really impressed by StarCraft's writing when I was in my early teens; replaying it now, it's pretty cheesy, but not offensively stupid or egregiously bad. It's about on the level of a sci-fi B movie (perhaps one of the better ones).
>>
>>378822907
I liked the United Earth Directorate in Starcraft, how a small expeditionary force from Earth was so great a threat that Terrans, Protoss and Zerg all had to unite to stop them.

I hope in the future they come back with a proper fleet and get some payback.
>>
>>378822907
They weren't amazing, but still good enough and WC3 was a considerable upgrade over the first 2 games. Blizzard really shit the bed with WoW, SC2 and D3 though.
>>
>>378825448
SC2 is the best RTS, you're just trash pleb
>>
File: 1398343608836.jpg (153KB, 500x545px) Image search: [Google]
1398343608836.jpg
153KB, 500x545px
>>378822907
SC1's writing and story was nice, like really good
BW's story is utter shit
SC2 is just the extension of the BW quality story

Not sure why people haven't noticed.
>>
>>378825518
I'm criticizing the writing you fucking retard. Fuck off.
>>
>>378825532
>BW's story is utter shit
Wait, wut.
I thought people loved it more than the vanilla.
>>
File: da5a2bp.jpg (74KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
da5a2bp.jpg
74KB, 1024x576px
>>378822907
>Starcraft 1
Alexei Stukov: So, Gerard... I suspect you have a good reason for pulling me away from my...duties.
Gerard DuGalle: Your vodka can wait, my good Alexei. Come, stand here. You need to see this.
Alexei Stukov: I know all about the Zerg, Gerard. We've all seen the tapes a hundred-
Gerard DuGalle: [grasps Stukov's shoulder, knocking the cigar out of his mouth] You've seen nothing! Dissecting a dead Zerg in a lab is one thing; unleashing them on men is another! You must go into this with both eyes open. Once started, there is no going back. [stomps Stukov's cigar out] Are you prepared to go all the way with this, Alexei?
Alexei Stukov: [looks down, then pulls a fresh cigar out of his coat] Yes... yes, I am prepared to go all the way, my good admiral.
Gerard DuGalle: Good... good, I knew I could count on you.
Malmsteen: [over intercom] Admiral, the colonists' base will be overrun in a matter of minutes. Shall we intervene?
Gerard DuGalle: Take us into orbit, Mr. Malmsteen. We've seen enough.

>Starcraft 2
Kerrigan: AND THIS IS TO GO EVEN FURTHER BEYOND!!!
>>
>>378826680
thats like, his opinion
>>
>>378827038
>>378826680

for me BW seemed a little convoluted, with no clear high-point in it
>>
File: 1393019681555.jpg (4KB, 232x221px) Image search: [Google]
1393019681555.jpg
4KB, 232x221px
>>378826680
Everything about BW except for some of the UED stuff was awful. Characters didn't act the way they did in SC1. Characters didn't act intelligently and everyone was brought down a level so that Kerrigan, an unbeatable foe, would win every battle and skirmish that she came across.

Writing was awful too.

>"And that, Zeratul, was a better revenge than I could have ever hoped for!"

That's a neat quote but why did she need revenge on him? What did he do to her? That's just an example of terrible writing in a haystack full of them but the game is definitely not one that I revere about SP wise. MP though, it revolutionized the game.
>>
>>378827437
I think she was speaking on behalf of the swarm.
>>
>>378823783
They didn't, but no one had much choice. The UED was curbstomping the Dominion, while the Protoss were in disarray after the Zerg invasion of their home planet. Things only got more desperate after the UED figured out how to control the Zerg. Enemy of my enemy, and so forth.

Also, it was implied in a secret mission that Duran had ulterior motives.

Personally, the writing for Brood War seemed just about okay. It was the voice acting that really made it shine. Warcraft III also had decent voice acting as well. SC2 on the other hand, had absolutely awful writing and subpar voice acting. In particular, I would like to single out all Protoss characters, who basically sounded the same due to heavy application of reverb effects.
>>
>>378822907
no. warcraft was all your typical dnd tolkein high fantasy with shallow characters and plot

starcraft was a little better.

but it fit for its target audience. when i was 14 i loved the shit out of their lore books.
>>
>>378830263

You know usually posts like this over exaggerate, but the reverb on Protoss units really does do a number on any voice performance. Basically you have the zealot, the sneaky sneaks (stalkers and DTs), and the "imma noble smart alien voice as the three distinct personalities for toss in sc2.

Just listen to how unique the scout, corsair, carrier, and arbiter sound and compare it to the sc2 "upgraded" voice saying the exact same lines for campaign etc. It's almost sad
>>
For warcraft its more the characterization that is so great, you can really enjoy all of them including the bad guys and minor-ish characters like Garithos and Proudmoore

Both of them are still leagues better than their modern counterparts which are quickly losing their identities
>>
>>378822907

It wasn't bad. It was derivative of more classical stories. I mean Arthas is just the reverse King Arthur legend.The Starcraft story is a bit shakespearean. What made it stand out was the way it was told. Especially Diablo 2.
>>
>>378831204
All fiction is derivative.
>>
>>378822907
How was the WoW movie?
Is it worth it getting the blueray?
>>
File: 1487635385282.jpg (21KB, 479x350px) Image search: [Google]
1487635385282.jpg
21KB, 479x350px
The writing was great back then and it still holds up today. You have to understand that a lot of games didn't have much of a story focus and were limited by hardware when it came to cutscenes or even budget for voice actors. The fact that you can rewatch the Brood War opening and still feel the weight of the scene says a lot.

I'm can't seem to think of a word that describes old Bilzzard's style compared to the newer titles. 'Grounded' seems fitting. I just get this "anything goes" feeling for the newer games, with little thought about how it fits into the setting or tone.
>>
File: Rando.png (393KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Rando.png
393KB, 600x600px
>>378822907
According to /v/ nothing has good writing except really old niche titles, but even then you'll find people who will call their writing amateurish. Never really saw someone complimenting a game's writing and get away with it.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.