[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the Wii U have been a success if Nintendo had marketed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: 1496277713051.jpg (131KB, 700x618px) Image search: [Google]
1496277713051.jpg
131KB, 700x618px
Would the Wii U have been a success if Nintendo had marketed it like the Switch ?
>>
>>378771251
No. WiiU was a design mistake.
>>
It would probably have done better it it was marketed well
I don't think it would have be switch levels of sales tho
>>
>>378771604
this, since you can't take the Wii U outside, which is a huge selling point of the Switch and the main reason it's selling as well as it is.
>>
>>378771251
I doubt it, simply because of the name.
People were super confused about the name, and that was one of the biggest reasons for it not selling well.
>>
>>378772074
I assume that, in OP's hypothetical, the Wii U was also called "Switch" as the branding is part of its marketing as well.
>>
It would have been a success if they named it the Wii 2.
>>
So the Switch is basically what the Wii U should have been?

It seems to be about the same graphics wise. Had a lot of the same games. Only real difference is its portable, correct ?

Weird how that one thing is the difference between 13 million life time and 80-100 million life time.
>>
>>378771473
I agree. Too expensive, the gimmick was never utilized well outside of like Zombie U or whatever. Would've been a 200 dollar console with the same good library.
>>
>>378771251
I don't know about "success" but definitely not as big of a failure. Wii U was marketed so poorly that many average consumers thought it was an addon for the Wii, a tablet controller.

I worked part time in a game store during college when the Wii U launched and we had so many people coming in and buying Wii U games only to return them the next day complaining "this doesn't work on my Wii".
>>
>>378771473
it really wasn't.
in fact they did nearly everything "right" (what people claimed they wanted) and it flopped harder than any of their other consoles. only thing it really needed was a few must haves, which it got, just 3-4 years too late.

I mean, n64 was a tremendous turd, but it got sm64 and OOT 2 years later. also, goldeneye, etc. if it wasn't for those, no one would care.
>>
>>378772074
I worked at fucking gamestop when the Wii U launched. Most people thought it was a controller for their Wii.
>>
>>378773252
Nobody really understand what it was. The switch made it clear, but the Wii U was fucking confuse.
>>
>>378773252
>worst default controller of any Nintendo console
>clunky OS that takes an age to navigate
>system updates that brick the consoles in droves
>>
>>378771845
>think
no one gives a fuck about taking switch outdoors. you can't even see the screen with the glare, it's too bulky to fit in your pocket, and it might get stolen, as well as not being able to do everything a phone can do. plus, most of the games simply aren't suited for on the go, and abysmal battery life. people bought a switch literally for BOTW. most people don't even watch conferences, so they didn't see/care about any of that. as for the name causing confusion: 3DS never had trouble. people aren't that dense.
>>
>>378773507
Wrong about every single thing you said. Wow.
>>
>>378773709
you're not making an argument
>>
>>378773395
people are always confused about new things. look at the xbox 360/xbox one. they get over it after a while.
>>
>>378773507
>no one gives a fuck about taking switch outdoors

That'll change once Monster Hunter and Pokémon come down the pike. Then at least in Japan, it'll be the DS line where every little schoolkid and her puppy has one.
>>
>>378773921
this is 4chan. you don't need to. just say they're wrong, give them a (you) and stop responding.

then the thread usually mysteriously 404s.
>>
>>378771251
Of course. Just compare the recent marketing efforts for the Switch to the "marketing" the Wii U had in 4 years.
I've never seen a single Wii U ad on TV (EU) and it's two months I keep seeing Switch ads on TV or even in the street.

Plus the Switch has the advantage of getting ports of Wii U games which were all well received. All those kind of games people tagged as: yeah, it's good but I don't want to buy a Wii U for one game.
>>
>>378773989
everyone on 4chan is a marketer.
>>
File: 85656.png (420KB, 670x344px) Image search: [Google]
85656.png
420KB, 670x344px
>>378771251
It shouldn't have existed to begin with. Nintendo could have released the Switch after the Wii instead, but chose to release the Switch beta prototype instead for easy shekels.
>>
>>378773507
>you can't even see the screen with the glare
honestly never had that problem, even in direct sunlight
>>
>>378771251

Even if the Wii U had decent marketing, it had so much other stuff against it.

It was an unappealing product overall.
>>
>>378774720
Not really, off-tv play, being able to use it as a tv remote, and virtual surround sound speakers are all underrated features
>>
>>378774987
As in non-existent
>>
>>378775847
thanks for proving my point - those features are so underrated that you didn't even know they existed.
>>
>>378775919
no I mean they were unused
>>
>>378776068
That doesn't make any sense, it's up to the user whether they want to use those first 2 features, and the third one definitely was used, especially in games that output audio on the gamepad and TV simultaneously.
>>
>>378776313
I'm sure those tinny drivers made for a great soundstage
>>
>>378776412
I mean sure, but it's still a neat feature to include
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.