[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are QTEs bad? Has any game ever done them well?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: qte.jpg (313KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
qte.jpg
313KB, 800x450px
Are QTEs bad? Has any game ever done them well?
>>
god
>>
Asura's wrath. It was loaded with them but god it was a wild ride
>>
They are bad in the games they have no business being in.

Example off the top of my head, Outlast 2.

>start of the game
>helicopter ride goes wrong
>helicopter crash
>guy is under some debris
>there is a QTE prompt to get him to move said debris off of himself

There is zero purpose for that qte being there. He wouldn't just lay there and take a nap, he would move that shit and get up. It's a "cinematic" scene, so needing the players input is highly irrelevant considering he can't do anything else BUT move it and get up.

It was embarrassing seeing that shit.

Yahtzee had a valid complaint about the batman arkham games as well. For every grating you can kick off or pull, instead of it just being one button prompt, you have to mash it. There is no point in making it a mash prompt at all whatsoever when a single button input for the QTE should be fine.
>>
>>378759568
Yes, no
>>
Revengeance
>>
>>378760418
Button mashing is symbolic physical effort. It makes sense
>>
>>378759568
God Hand
>>
>>378760418

Alien isolation had some pretty dumb ones too. One part towards the end had you press S to fall flat on your ass, followed by some other buttons to scramble around like a retard, what was even the point.
>>
The problem with QTEs is that they're usually nothing but arbitrarily placed fail states in otherwise static scenes. They'd be much better used for creating branching events. Mass Effect 2 had the right idea in that theirs were optional, altered future events, and informed you of the kind of response to expect from your character when they occurred based on which input you used.
>>
>that part in the pre rec episode of the order where jack and rich evans sit and watch a scene that has a qte prompt to continue the sequence where the character they were controlling was being threatened of being killed
>they just sat and watched the two guys struggle while the QTE prompt was on screen for a few minutes
>game never continued or killed the player, it just kept waiting for the qte prompt to be hit because it didnt have a failstate
>>
>>378760659
Who cares? Why would you want to mash every time you need to move or activate something? It's not challenging, it just makes my hand tired.
>>
>>378761423
download an autokey thing
>>
vanquish's qtes aren't that bad
>>
File: helios.jpg (26KB, 418x235px) Image search: [Google]
helios.jpg
26KB, 418x235px
>>378761423
>mash button to open door
>mash button to open chest
>mash button to murder cow monster
>mash button to fuck bitches
How did this shit ever get popular?
>>
>>378760759
this
>Secondly, some of God Hand’s quick-time-events are silly. Most of them are okay. With the “pummel” QTE, for example, you can land a couple of blows before entering it if you know what you’re doing, and sometimes it may be within your interests to not use it at all so there is a smidgen of strategy there. For the rest, I’ll quote Kinto:
>“I defend the majority of God Hand’s QTEs thus:
>Their occurrence is predictable; either through telegraphing, like the counter move used against the demons, or through the player deliberately setting up situations where they can happen, like tripping up an enemy so you can stamp on them
>The input icon displayed is the input tied to the mechanic you would need to use to solve that situation anyway. Analog stick right (and no other direction!) to dodge a suplex, attack button to attack etc
>If you removed the button icons they would still work as game mechanics but, and this is the most crucial point, WOULD CEASE TO BE QTEs.
>The only QTEs I can think of that don’t fit this framework are the one where you punch the gorilla in the balls and the one on Shannon’s second form that involves dodging an attack and striking a weak point at the same time. Both of these feel appropriately cheap.”
>>
>>378760448
this
>>
>>378759568
QTE's are the worst. They force me to stop paying attention to what is going on, and to only focus on what the next button prompt is going to be. Totally ruining the scene.
>>
>>378760871
I fucking hated that part near the end where you gotta realign the comms array like in 99% of sci fi games that take place in a space station and so you gotta do a boring spacewalk through a FUCKHUGE space catwalk (you're not even allowed to sprint here), then it turns out the array isn't powered so you gotta walk a bit more and you gotta reach the power room AND pull THREE switches to power up shit, then go back to the array, then go back to the station.

Fuck I loved Isolation but some parts were extremely retarded
>>
enjoyed them in 13-2, mostly comical and the game would always warn you ahead of time a QTE was coming so you could prepare and not just have a QTE shoved in your face watching a cutscene
>>
>>378760759
Those aren't really QTEs as they are case sensitive input prompts where you just mash a button. QTEs are more like press a sequence of buttons in order to successfully take a shit and not have exploding diarrhea and shit all over the bathroom after you fail the input.
>>
>>378759568
Rythm games do them well
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.