[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

anti piracy idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1fe.png (59KB, 658x662px) Image search: [Google]
1fe.png
59KB, 658x662px
brainlet here

why don't games do a quick check of the file integrety on boot to make sure that no cracks or files have been added/removed?

if reloaded.nfo exists in the directory of the game then just simply don't load the game. likewise if steam.dll is 566kb instead of 1234kb then don't load the game.

no need for denuvo, no need for online-only. just a quick simple c# code to check file integrety.

or is this idea too dumb that even clever people didnt consider it?
>>
File: 1424390329359.gif (2MB, 250x220px) Image search: [Google]
1424390329359.gif
2MB, 250x220px
This is terrible, this idea
>>
Here's an idea: make good games that people will want to buy
>>
You could just pad the DLL with dead data to make it the same size.
Alternatively patch the piece of code that does the check in the first place.
>>
>>378741852

make it so

a) the integrety finder code looks at every file and make sure they are the same as they are when they were shipped

b) make the integrety checker a fundamental piece of code that the engine simply wont work if it is remotely different, forcing hackers to rewrite their own engine
>>
>>378741621
Pirates would simply patch the file.

If you kept the file on a secure server, all you have developed is a dumb version of always-online DRM.

Sorry anon, this idea is so dumb that only dumb people would consider it.
>>
>>378742141
>a) the integrety finder code looks at every file and make sure they are the same as they are when they were shipped
Enjoy waiting half an hour to start the game every time.
>>
>>378742321
surely it doesn't take that long to SHA1 every file
>>
>>378741621
Stop giving them ideas like that. It's enough that Denuvo apparently messes up with performance and more and more games need to be always online, I don't want to wait 15 minutes for my fucking game to even begin launching. Besides, It would make modding impossible and I guess the pirates could simply crack the integrity check out of it
>>
>>378743723
Some games are like 90giga large right now, 15 years ago this might have been possible, but definitely not today.
>>
>>378741621
it is better to concentrate in making a damn good game than losing time and resources making anti-piracy retardation
>>
File: 1470510505803.jpg (97KB, 579x574px) Image search: [Google]
1470510505803.jpg
97KB, 579x574px
>>378741771
DELETE
>>
>>378744062
Honestly he might be right, a SHA1 doesn't take long to run at all even over thousands of files.
But Murphy's law dictates that hackers will find an alternative. It's really tough to limit access to something that you can just locally fuck with.
>>
how will you check the integrity of the file you just created to check the integrity of?
that'd be like trying to guess your own post number on 4chan
>>
>>378741771
>Good game, eh? Day one pirate
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.