[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOW III

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 10

File: dowIII.jpg (41KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
dowIII.jpg
41KB, 460x215px
Is it considered dead and a disaster yet? Can they recover it or has it killed the franchise?
>>
File: haqq.jpg (115KB, 500x279px) Image search: [Google]
haqq.jpg
115KB, 500x279px
>>378733381
>RTS
>40k

Great, two horrible things killed with one swipe.

Now stop shitting around and make a good game in a good genre set in a good universe.
Say, an Infinity TPS. Or a Malifaux RPG.
>>
>>378734550
>40k
>bad
Here, have a (You) on the house.
>>
File: 695d5a0161bbbc36386dbbceb1e3ee63.jpg (128KB, 736x1180px) Image search: [Google]
695d5a0161bbbc36386dbbceb1e3ee63.jpg
128KB, 736x1180px
>>378734640
>A hodge-podge of stolen IPs and their designs.
>No consistent lore or writing, just a bunch of contradictory bullshit.
>The only real characters are a set of extreme Mary Sues.
>Good.

At least a half of the complaints aimed at DoW3 stem from it being a more truthful adaptation of 40k than anything before it.
>>
File: HERESYINTESIFIES.jpg (7KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
HERESYINTESIFIES.jpg
7KB, 200x211px
Do you have a moment to talk about our lords and saviours, the Ruinous powers?
>>
>>378733381
where are the shills now? crawled back under their rocks? top kek
>>
>>378734550
Can I be relevant now?
>>
>>378735976
I can't believe how badly it went, sold 200k then sales hit a brick wall. Playerbase already too small for top 100 steam list. DoW2 had a healthy population from launch until after retribution. There's at least a few million DoW players around, they clearly managed to alienate the majority of them.
>>
>>378738161
>DoW2 had a healthy population from launch until after retribution
Are you joking? It always had 2~3k players.
>>
>>378738729
And DoWIII has 1/3 of that months after launch.
>>
File: WMT.png (718KB, 1920x921px) Image search: [Google]
WMT.png
718KB, 1920x921px
>>378738081
I have this game, but I'm a complete noob. Anyone wanna play with me?
>>
>>378734937
You know it takes an awful lot to stand out in a universe with hundreds of trillions of competitors.
>>
>>378739225
no, at the moment is has round about 46000 players daily.
Dow 2 has 10000.

Sources(take the CCU x 20 and you get a vague number on the real daily players):
https://steamspy.com/app/56400
https://steamspy.com/app/285190
>>
>>378738161
>DoW2 had a healthy population from launch until after retribution
It did not last. Retribution had major balance problems that killed multiplayer.
>>
>>378738081
Ah yes, truly the patrician table top game. Too bad the lore sucks.
>>
>>378739764
>It takes an awful lot.
No, it doesn't. they did the same thing Blizzard does. Copied the ever-loving fuck out of everyone around them.
Thus, no matter which sci-fi you were a fan of (as long as it didn't have the budget to sue the crap out of them), there is a 1:1 copy of that present within 40k.

At the same time, just like all of these mash-ups, it is worse in its own thing compared to the originals.

The whole universe is summed up as a massive "2000AD vs Dune vs Mad Max vs Superman vs Hulk vs... vs Warhammer (cue to expand all the properties Warhammer itself ripped off, albeit at a much, much smaller scale)" thread.

For instance, here's a snippet on 2000AD, sounds familiar?

>Emperor Zalinn was ruler of Terra during its Classical Period. He ordered the construction of an artificial Black and White Hole on the planet, creating the Blackhole Bypass and allowing the Eternal Soldiers to conquer a thousand planets.
>Under Emperor Zalinn, the Black and White Holes and the cities of Necropolis, Mausoleum and Agartha were built during the Classical Period of Terra. It went into a period of decay. Towards the end of the Classical Period, the Emperor Thano the Third allowed aliens and humans to intermarry. This was followed by a Dark Age.
Also, humanity living on Terra does so in Mega-cities, ginormous cities that span continents and the further up you go, the less shitty they get.
Sounds familiar?
There's other snippets, like:
>Deadlock is a follower of the fictional Khaos religion, and as such is often at odds with the order and duty-fixated Hammerstein, which in the story The Black Hole ultimately led him to betray and attempt to kill Hammerstein. Deadlock's powers allow him to astrally project and reform his body if it is damaged or destroyed, and he holds the sword X-Caliber, a weapon that allows him to drain the souls of the living to use as psychic 'nourishment'. He is able to call demons and the undead to his aid.
>>
>>378734937
>and their designs.
Explain, mon keigh.

FYI EA created a unit for CNC4 that was a rip off of a baneblade, and GW took action immediately.
On the opposite, GW completely let Star Wars take away the Inquisition and Imperial Guard brands from them. Even when its GW who owns the rights to those names. They should have made star wars pick another name rather than them doing it after writing decades of stuff on them.
>>
>>378740778
>FYI EA created a unit for CNC4 that was a rip off of a baneblade, and GW took action immediately.

FYI that's not even what happened. EA commissioned a german studio to make Tiberium Alliances, that browser game.
And as it stands, they copied over GW stuff so GW immediately sued.

GW, however, cannot sue shit older than them (which they ripped off) after losing tons of money in courts where they tried to claim ownership of only God know what and got shut down each time (the most prominent case being their push to secure a trademark on the word space marines).

They are dodging IP suits like mad.
Heck, that's why you're fighting as Astartes alongside Astra Militarum and Miltarum Tempestust allies against the Aeldari and Drukhari hordes which are now joined under the Ynneari flag.
>>
>>378733381
There was a patch yesterday.

Its a step in the right direction but boy does it have a lot of ground to cover
>>
Eldar are fags, orks are autistic, space marines are far less faggy than eldar but fags too. when do we get IG, tau and necrons?
>>
>>378740559
>Blizzard
Starcraft was originally a Warhammer 40k RTS to compete with C&C. After relations with GW and the developer fell apart, the game was rebranded as Starcraft.
Its shocking that you are using Blizzard to knock 40k down when you know so little yourself.
In fact, even Warcraft has its roots from 40k.
The Blizzard IPs are the cheap knock offs and you have your facts in reverse.
Links (but don't click them, they're just the first results on google):
http://kotaku.com/5929161/how-warcraft-was-almost-a-warhammer-game-and-how-that-saved-wow
http://kotaku.com/5591285/before-starcraft-there-was-warhammer-40k

>>378741035
So its the browser based CNC, which I didn't play so its why I've mistaken which IP it was. However, from which GW IP did they copy GW stuff from and how is that significantly different from my statement of EA copying GW stuff; the baneblade? It doesn't matter.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-04-12-ea-accused-of-copying-warhammer-40k-tanks-for-command-and-conquer-tiberium-alliances
>>
>>378733381
>Is it considered dead and a disaster yet?
I did not bother buying it, so you figure it out.
>>
I bought it. Completed the campaign. Never touched it again. I'll wait till Necrons are released next.
>>
>>378741430
You make good points, but kotaku man. I ain't clicking that.
>>
>>378739864
>no, at the moment is has round about 46000 players daily.
>Dow 2 has 10000.
That's now, compare DoW2 to 3 when it was new. DoW3 enjoyed more players at launch due to steam userbase being much larger and THQ + GFWL wrecking the DoW2 launch. It should have been able to sell 500k+ and maintain an online player size 2 or 3 times what DoW2 peaked at if the game didn't alienate previous players.
>>
File: 0dae3ffc5447.jpg (220KB, 1000x1229px) Image search: [Google]
0dae3ffc5447.jpg
220KB, 1000x1229px
Yesterday's patch was fucking great, I'm still drinking the tears of Eldarfags
>boo hoo, I can't make DAs into Falcon every single game while running around the map on super speed and killing gens in 10 seconds with Striking Scorpions, Eldar are RUINED
>>
>>378741430
>In fact, even Warcraft has its roots from 40k.

Warcraft was the result of a failed Warhammer Fantasy game, not 40K
>>
>>378742219
That Dow2 can still attract that many players compared to it predecessor is an achievement and a detriment to DoW 3.
>>
>>378742343
>Orks
Do you enjoy tactical marines spam more?
>>
>>378742540
I'm ok with that. ASM spam with that ridiculous assault leap was way worse to play against.
>>
File: 1494371009837s.jpg (2KB, 125x83px) Image search: [Google]
1494371009837s.jpg
2KB, 125x83px
when dow2 rpg campaign come back?
>>
>>378741430
>Starcraft was originally a Warhammer 40k RTS

Wrong again, anon >>378742348 is right.
>>
>>378741430
Oh, and I'm not claiming no one tried to rip off GW afterwards.

All I'm saying is that all the shit GW has is stuff they ripped off from someone else.
EA's situation is basically a thief getting his loot raided by another thief.

The only original thing that has came out of Games Workshp are green orcs which have fuck all to do with 40k and for that matter, were just an observation that when you're copying hulk, you might as well copy his paint scheme as well.
>>
The latest patch honestly probably killed the game.
>>
DoW 3 is such garbage
>>
>>378743345
It only killed eldar players
>>
I just want bigger maps like CoH2. Also please release mod tools. The tuning packs could prove interesting
>>
>>378743525
I play Eldar and I'm still beating the vast majority of everyone else. But most people who play this game are shitters so that's not saying much.
>>
File: 1454935667319.jpg (62KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1454935667319.jpg
62KB, 421x421px
>>378734550
>>378734937
I used to like 40k a lot but it grew old, very old. It's just a mess, the lore is inconsistent as fuck, the designs are ass (designed by Brits who never held a knife let alone a gun), and I am amazed i managed to like it past 15 years of age.
>>
>>378743090
I'm actually playing a game right now so forgive me for the error. But my point was to prove how the Blizzard IPs were originally supposed to be Warhammer related. GW fell for it twice. Odd.

>>378743252
I'm not actually out to say you are wrong either. My point was that you shouldn't use blizzard because of their two games' roots. I get the "this is a blatant copy of something" feel the most with certain imperial guard regiments. I know what you mean.
>>
SM>Eldar>Ork

Which ironically was how it was pre-patch.

So nothings really changed, SM switched Tacs for ASM, Eldar generally weakened and Orks generally weakened.
>>
>>378743975
SM were piss terrible at 1v1 for the whole of dow 2 so let them have a bit of the spotlight
>>
>>378743908
>My point was that you shouldn't use blizzard because of their two games' roots.

I used Blizzard as an example of another band of thieves. Because they are.

>Blizzard IPs were originally supposed to be Warhammer related.

No, they weren't.
Warcraft was because the lead guy was a Warhammer nut. People in the office told him no, because big companies and IPs are cancer, so they simply copied it with as little changes as possible to not fail an IP claim. Never intended as a Warhammer game, always a Warcraft game simply based on Warhammer for everything from story to designs.

Starcraft and Warhammer 40k are completely separate. The problem is Starcraft is as much of a mish-mash of Sci-fi as 40k. Starcraft is just Starship Troopers fucking Alien vs Predator, give or take some redneck sci-fi. Warhammer 40k, having ripped off all of those as well, of course finds parallels between itself and Starcraft.
>>
>>378733381
Is this game actually bad? I don't care if it's a bad dawn of war game, just wanna know if it's a decent game in general
>>
>>378743975
>pre-patch
>SM>Eldar
Which is why Eldar decisively won every tournament for last 3 weeks.
>>
>>378744786
The game itself is fun to play, if you have no nostalgia for previous titles and heavy lore autism.
>>
>>378744786
It scratches a few itches here and there, but overall, yeah, it's pretty bad. Especially if you pay full price for it and especially if you're more interested in the single player side. The multiplayer isn't great either, though.
>>
>>378744357
>>378744357
>Warcraft was because the lead guy was a Warhammer nut.
Sauce on this?

For starcraft* its only rumored that GW turned down the devs who approached them because they didn't like the alpha, and this lead to starcraft. But I think having pinned the cause of all this to one guy is even more far fetched. Not to mention having done it twice, once for warcraft prior.
>>
>>378745159
You're still pushing the Starcraft bullshit.
No, Starcraft and Warhammer 40k were never in any way related. Not even Warhammer and Warcraft legally but that one was an obvious attempt to copy as much as possible.

>Sauce on this?
http://www.codeofhonor.com/blog/the-making-of-warcraft-part-1
Warcraft Art section.

Straight from the horses' mouth.
Also, the guy hates Activision Blizzard so the last thing he'd do is cover for them.
>>
>>378745471
Actually a nice read. Thanks.
>>
>>378743975
>SM switched Tacs for ASM
??????
>>
File: 1496167451363.jpg (105KB, 550x500px) Image search: [Google]
1496167451363.jpg
105KB, 550x500px
>>378734937
I want to fuck that space elf!
>>
>>378746003
Sorry friend but it's a well known fact that eldar have double vaginas. You wouldn't be able to satisfy it.
>>
>>378745878
Yeah, that guy's series was an amazing read.
Too bad he stopped updating the blog.
>>
>>378746003
Too bad, she's already engaged with Roboutte Guillman whom she revived from the dead to lead humanity on the next galactic crusade using an even better replacement for Space Marines.
>>
>>378743883
>I used to like 40k a lot but it grew old
This. I used to like WH40K and hate WHFB as a kid, but nowadays I like WHFB and feel nothing for the WH40k universe.
>>
>>378733381
Dead, everything numales and females touch turns to shit
>>
>>378747260
Show me where did they touch you.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.