[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tim Cain Becomes a Literal Faggot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: tim cain a literal faggot.jpg (16KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
tim cain a literal faggot.jpg
16KB, 480x360px
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/tim-cain-at-reboot-develop-2017-building-a-better-rpg-seven-mistakes-to-avoid.114809/

>Mistake #1 - Steep Learning Curves: Tim thinks character creation in Fallout, Arcanum and other RPGs was too complex. He's experimenting with creating a completely numberless character system that uses geometric shapes to visualize attributes.

>Mistake #2 - Letting Math Trump Psychology: Revealing the influence of the years he spent developing Wildstar, Tim wants to develop mechanics that are psychologically satisfying and addictive, even at the expense of mathematical elegance. For example, he says the player's first attack against an enemy should always hit even if his overall hit percentage is the same regardless, and that rather than allow players to increase their critical hit chance, they should only be allowed to increase their critical hit damage.

What happened?
>>
>stats are hard

get a load of this faggot. who the fuck even is this guy he shouldn't be allowed to touch video games.
>>
>>378727146
He made Fallout
>>
>>378726835
>He's experimenting with creating a completely numberless character system that uses geometric shapes to visualize attributes.
Yeah I remember they did that with DDR
>>
>>378727213
the original fallout? what the fuck happened to this guy then.
>>
Who is this faggot and why should I give two shits about what he has to say about anything?
>>
>>378727294
Pay attention faggot
>>
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/subject/Tim%20Cain%20Becomes%20a%20Literal%20Faggot/

This is the face of autism. Don't reply, just report.
>>
What's wrong with any of that?
>>
>>378726835
>Literal Faggot
Literally wrong.
>>
>>378727335
It looks like this guy from the OP is the faggot, not me.

Isometric CRPGs suck ass, famurai.
>>
>>378727213
>he made

I know it could be considered splitting hairs, but wasn't fallout made by a group of people? Perhaps Tim always sucked, and was only saved by someone by his side going "No Tim, that's a bad idea". Or the more likely story is time changes everyone, and now this Tim fellow's ideas no longer align with your own.
>>
> completely numberless character system that uses geometric shapes to visualize attributes.
what the actual fuck

>rather than allow players to increase their critical hit chance, they should only be allowed to increase their critical hit damage.

How is this wrong? Stacking crit chance is cancer
>>
>Mistake #4 - Misunderstanding Randomness: Here Tim lays out his frustration with the sorts of people who can't believe they could miss a 95% chance-to-hit attack three times in a row. His conclusion is that when people talk about "randomness", they often mean selecting a token rather than rolling a dice (ie, events can't repeat themselves).

>hey we have players who don't understand math.. that if you roll a number between 1 and 20 you can roll 1 3 times in a row
>thats obviously a mistake in game development, we better make sure our game can pander to the people who can't understand simple math and probabilty
>>
>>378726835
The geometric shapes sounds interesting, but I can't imagine it being better than either a stat bar or just numbers. The second thing just sounds like skinner box grinding shit, particularly the first hit always hits as it just seems like a way to trick the player into thinking that they might be off to a good start and with low hit point mobs would be OP while amounting to nothing with higher HP. The whole which stats to allow players to increase/decrease is a matter of opinion and as I'm not a game dev I don't think my opinion matters much. Mistakes 3-7 seem to be on point.
>>
>>378727830
>How is this wrong? Stacking crit chance is cancer

to be fair if that's even possible it's shitty designed.

we had the same thread a few days ago, in some regard he's not wrong, but it's usually not the people's fault

>game let's you set stats
>80 hours later you figure out the game has the absolute worst balance and your stat dump foes fuck all
>or you can min-max so hard you break the game.

at the end of the day the game sets how the players play it.
>>
>>378726835
Character creation is a little jarring for someone who's never been exposed to an RPG before. You also don't know if the game is balanced in your favor the first time around. I mean, nobody's ever heard of playing Fallout with a charisma build.
>>
>>378728350
>Fallout with charisma build
Charisma is USELESS in Fallout 1, you can beat the game with 2 char and just dumping skill points on speech, there are no char checks in the entire fucking game, only int and speech
I mean I love Fallout and admire Tim as much as the next guy but that game is filled with useless stats like throw or outdoorsman.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.