[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'NO DAMAGE SCALING' OPTION FOR FIGHTING GAMES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 18

File: mr._karate.png (217KB, 992x421px) Image search: [Google]
mr._karate.png
217KB, 992x421px
Why is no on/off toggle ever provided for in fighting games?

Been watching some Injustice 2 combo videos, and watching (e.g.) Bane DDT an opponent from orbit (literal re-entry heat cone on opponent's noggin), only for said noggin-destroyer attack to finish with a chip damage's worth of a coup de grace (because it was preceded by a short combo), is fucking stomach-churning in its retarded game design.

Pointedly, Injustice 2 already has an option to filter its accoutrements / dress-up items from competitive play (for "muh balance") -- it sticks out like a sore thumb, that it lacks a toggle for its heinous damage scaling also.

This is one example, but every game is guilty of it nowadays... speaking of which, Guilty Gear is one of the worst offenders -- with its "guts" and "R.I.S.C." systems conspiring to render combos beyond a certain point worthless.

I know FG's need to be balanced for competitive play and it's shitty E-sports. But that doesn't mean fighting games cannot give a nod to old school fighters and provided a "no scaling" mode for those who want to play that way.

If anything, the whole "balance" thing has become absurd -- see: SFV's "magic" pixels and hidden "guts" system, that artificially 'tapers' damage to encourage close-looking matches (not to mention its veritable "rage gauge" V-Triggers).

So, if the games at least had an option for un-scaled combos, all parties could be satisfied. What's the fun in watching an X-Ray attack literally kill your opponent, only to see trifles of health chipped from their HP bar?

Cure this fight-game autism, please.
>>
So what you're saying is that you want to die in 1 mixup.
>>
No.
>>
Classic KoF doesn't have damage scaling.
>>
>>378721053
Mahvel has it but it's useless.
>>
>>378720918
Because that would be dumb and fighting games aren't balanced around what 12 year olds think looks cool
>>
>>378720918
Magic pixel existed in SF2 you underage faggot
>>
>>378720918
play HF
>>
>>378720918
>enable non damage scaling option in game
>die as soon as someone gets a confirm at any point because there's no scaling
>it becomes a rush to see who can open the person up first, just having the match shorter because of it.

Yeah no.
>>
File: 1469334245440.png (61KB, 196x229px) Image search: [Google]
1469334245440.png
61KB, 196x229px
You're hilarious OP
>>
File: 1492775894054.png (804KB, 832x1229px) Image search: [Google]
1492775894054.png
804KB, 832x1229px
>>378721053
>die in 1 mixup.
What I want to see visceral combat. I DON'T want to see is 100-hit ratta-tat-tat scrubo after scrubo. I've played Mugen -- thanks.

You act like games have not provisions to corral their most powerful tools: meters, activation thresholds (e.g., for SDM type moves), input commands / execution (...well, they USED to have that) -- these are there to stop a super attack from being thrown out in the first combo.

Moreover, if you do not reward playing the punching bag with meter gain, you have the better players winning most of the time. As it stands now, better players' skills are hamstrung by comeback mechanics, simplified input commands, damage scaling... What are fighting games if not about sorting the wheat from the chaff?

Either way, the point is, I'm asking for AN OPTION TO TOGGLE DAMAGE SCALING OFF / ON... not for it to become the default mode of play.

I mean, with how over-the-top attacks in fighting games have become nowadays, it just looks retarded to have such beat-downs result in piddly damage output.... I can't understand why devs cannot see this.
>>
File: typical_nintoddler.jpg (101KB, 800x677px) Image search: [Google]
typical_nintoddler.jpg
101KB, 800x677px
>>378721236
>12 year olds
you just outed yourself, faggot features

>implying it's old skool games that were the damage scaling whores, and not modern QTE Fighter V's
>>
File: food_stamps.jpg (102KB, 666x472px) Image search: [Google]
food_stamps.jpg
102KB, 666x472px
>>378721123
>Classic KoF doesn't have damage scaling.
I know.

One of my more memorable losses was against a scrubby mate who mashed out Ryo SDM between Rugals Genocide Cutter (between the first and second blocked hit), and took ~95% for a K.O.

shit was casher than yael kishner jewcubator cunt... unlike what's on offer today -- fucking wars of hit-count attrition

real fucking entertaining e-sports, that...
>>
File: bearfast_downers.gif (1018KB, 300x167px) Image search: [Google]
bearfast_downers.gif
1018KB, 300x167px
>>378721569
Yeah... toggle OFF.
>>
>>378722282
>>378722759
I don't think you realize exactly how busted non scaling would be in a game. You know how in Tekken, a counter generally leads to like 1/10 of your health gone at the very least for just that one move? Imagine that but it's just every move in a combo. It wouldn't make anything change about how the game is played, the only thing that would change how long the match lasts. Hell, even Street Fighter, matches would be over in about 1 or 2 combos without scaling. You aren't changing anything but the length. Hell you're making it better for scrubs since they can blow up 90% of your healthbar with wakeup jab into anything.
>>
File: 1365087003762.jpg (30KB, 300x355px) Image search: [Google]
1365087003762.jpg
30KB, 300x355px
>>378723035
>You know how in Tekken, a counter generally leads to like 1/10 of your health gone at the very least for just that one move?
You know how in real life, a counter could break your appendage, if not kill you (if you head hit the turf wrong)?

You also know how fighting games are meant to mimic ()albeit sensationally) real-word fighting?

This isn't about the balance of the games -- today's games are "balanced" are 1000-hit machine gun, chip-damage-dealing combos. This is indicative of poor balance and that why the simplistic solution of damage scaling is introduced.

The fact is, watching modern fighters is no enjoyable, nor "hype" -- the shit's wholly predictable... and this will be the death of the genre (or metamorphosis into MMO-dom), unless it's old je ne sais quoi can be recaptured. Just look at SFV and all its (((balance))), and how entertaining that has turned out...

Again, all I'm asking for is THE OPTION to play in a way that feels more 'old school'. I've seen combos up the yin-yang, and although I love to combo lab fighters myself, shitty chip combos lost their novelty... like... awwww... a decade-and-half ago.

>don't like it
>don't use it
>...but don't begrudge others of it
>>
>>378723453
Dude, I'm saying that that option doesn't solve any of your problems you seem to have.

>Combos being too long without enough payoff
Great. Now your opponent is either dead in the first combo you throw out or you're dead immediately afterwards since meter gain is based on damage and they'll likely have a bunch to spend to ensure a solid get up.

>It needs to mimic real world fighting
Ok, so the first time someone gets slammed onto their back or crushed through a ceiling they die and the match is over.

>It's not hype.
Well if you want to win, it'll be the same "shuffle about for half the match while you wait for your opponent to whiff" turtle play that's prominent in Tekken and Virtua Fighter.

I mean, if bigger numbers is all you want or longer combos being rewarded is what you like then watch UCvM3 or something. Removing scaling doesn't solve anything, it just makes the existing "problems" with balance worse.
>>
>Combo game with damage scaling
>Literally no combos (completely neutral) with no damage scaling
Pick one and only one
>>
>>378723453
Better yet, play a WWE or MMA game. Fuck, not having scaling would just be awful.
>>
File: carl.gif (178KB, 260x230px) Image search: [Google]
carl.gif
178KB, 260x230px
>>378720918
You're not a smash player trying to "get into" real fighting games are you? Because anybody I know who's done this seems to bring up this in on way or another.
>>
>>378724579
This guy is either just baiting or a retard. Probably both. Though Smash actually has a very interesting system that doesn't involve damage scaling. Though it only remotely makes sense with how the game is designed to play. Street Fighter with knockback scaling would probably be the most boring thing ever.
>>
>>378720918
>>378722681
Anons, older games did have damage scaling in combos. It just didn't scale as much as it does in modern games.

Anyway, go play Bushido Blade.
>>
File: Akuma chasing Dan (SFIV).gif (47KB, 160x100px) Image search: [Google]
Akuma chasing Dan (SFIV).gif
47KB, 160x100px
>>378724087
>Now your opponent is either dead in the first combo you throw out or you're dead immediately afterwards since meter gain is based on damage
1. balance is not an issue here, so you point is moot from this perspective
2. if meter were not awarded to the pummelEE, like nobel prizes to do-nothing half-niggers, this would not be a problem... it's only modern fighters that insulting divvy meter (read: comeback mechanics) to the guy being pummelled... and the shit's insulting cancer, to say the least

>realism
reductio ad absrudum -- i was [obviously] only making the point of what fighting games primarily are (they're genesis)... stop actin /pol/ level obtuse, please

>entertainment factor
there really is no argument against unpredictable outcomes in competitive gaming... the shit we have today is as rote as the genre has ever been -- haven't you watch 'the video' yet...?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSgA_nK_w3A

The numbers are the very thing I (and those of my generation, I can attest) could not give a fuck about are those "numbers" -- if the combo is scrubby or unrewarding, who gives a fuck about the hit-count? that's why I cannot watch MVC and the like -- literal shit tier, epilepsy fests

i want to a powerful attack to do the commensurate damage in line with what the on-screen action taking place is, when and how the action was executed (e.g., as a counter or as part of a combo with a high execution barrier) and with respect to the progression of a match (i.e., a "desperation" attack should incorporate a high risk-reward element and should not be available by default, round after round)

it's about quality, not quantity
>>
File: rick_mcullam.png (2MB, 1755x1003px) Image search: [Google]
rick_mcullam.png
2MB, 1755x1003px
>>378724241
nope... there can be many layers here:

>fully un-scaled combos
>combos scaled, but supers un-scaled (even if tacked onto combos)
>facile combos scaled / high execution combos un-scaled (think: the "Rush Combo" rubbish in KoF14, only with a much greater contrast between what's scaled / un-scaled and by how much)

only a scrub thinks in absolutes, jar jar
>>
File: 1487922296291.gif (599KB, 219x227px) Image search: [Google]
1487922296291.gif
599KB, 219x227px
>>378724579
>You're not a smash player
yes -- I am NOT

>smash
>brought into a FIGHTING GAME discussion
>>
File: make_neo_geo_again.jpg (50KB, 335x628px) Image search: [Google]
make_neo_geo_again.jpg
50KB, 335x628px
>>378726503
>go play Bushido Blade.
that's meme doesn't address my point -- AN OPTION for damage scaling removal

people always dismiss anything suggested to innovate the fight-game genre with "bushido blade" like memes... and them wonder why the game type is forever stuck in a niche and having to be increasingly dumbed-down into the casual gutter, just to survive
>>
>>378726941
>supers un-scaled
Now that's interesting. Maybe have the average super only do maybe 20-25%, so you still can't win off of wakeup super, but flashy confirms into super are still viable. Of course grapple/counter/non-confirmable supers would do the traditional 45-50%, maybe less so for grapples, I always hated losing to wakeup 1-frame Ultimate Atomic Bustaaaah
>>
File: smuggiest.jpg (641KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
smuggiest.jpg
641KB, 1000x1000px
>damage scaling option
Thanks OP, now I've seen it all. That totally wouldn't split the already thin playerbase that fighting games have and kill the game even faster.
>>
File: image.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>378723453
Well then fuck my man, sounds like you need to play the UFC games because if you want to mimic real fighting then you need to get rid of consistent life bars right now, because "balance" does not fucking exist in real life and more games will need moments of stun and dizzyness that you can't quantify.

If games really looked to mimic real life fighting you would all be mad as fuck because variable shit would happen and we all know people who play 2D fighters hate anything that deviates from the form perfect combos thry have drilled into themselves.
>>
why do people who don't play fighting games constantly get TRIGGERED by tried and true fighting game mechanics?
>>
File: kahn_casul_scum.gif (662KB, 228x134px) Image search: [Google]
kahn_casul_scum.gif
662KB, 228x134px
>>378727579
in this vein, my idea for MK9/X X-Rays is (has been for years) that:
>X-Rays can be with a single bar of meter -- level-1: weak, lv2: med, lv3: max
>X-Ray animation increase in length / strikes / whatever with level used
>QTE's (...just hear me out) incorporated into X-Ray animations -- good button timing = more damage output
>level-3 X-Ray + low health (<10%) in losing round = "desperation move" -- very high damage output, but very restrictive risk-reward (e.g., super telegraphed start-up, no armour, wiff = free combo dummy + counter properties for opponent etc.)

of course, the input scheme for the X-Rays would really need to become traditional 'super' inputs, not just Wii-friendly trigger mashes -- to really refine such a mechanic

fundamentally though, there's a lot that could be done with such cinematic supers to extend them beyond canned, non-interactive animation you're bored of after a few uses and that are never used in competitive play
>>
>>378720918
Because meterless tod isnt fun
>>
File: top_rope_fail.gif (849KB, 200x148px) Image search: [Google]
top_rope_fail.gif
849KB, 200x148px
>>378727687
>split the already thin playerbase that fighting games
dude... I mean dude...

the option would be no different than what's in Injustice 2 now (with its attribute mods -- something that's been roundly lauded and pushed the critical reception of the game into the 9's, for what's essentially Injustice 1.01 otherwise) and would not affect competitive play whatsoever (...not that it would hurt competitive play, given how fucking boring watching those cagey cunts is)

you're essentially arguing that gaming needs to be even MORE homogenised -- to ensure no pussy-willow faggots are 'offended' away from the pastime...

next you'll be pushing for burqa-clad muds in all fighters and for DRM style, automatic in-game pausing scripts that kick in during prayer time!
>>
File: 1352351161278.gif (956KB, 354x189px) Image search: [Google]
1352351161278.gif
956KB, 354x189px
>>378728069
>because if you want to mimic real fighting then you need to get rid of consistent life bars right now
you will not get an argument about that from me, m8

life bars are passe shit that should have been phased out a decade ago... with modern tech, you could literally use the the characters' look, movement / gait, subtle on-screen cues (e.g., reddening of screen or the like) -- or even restrict access to certain attack options relative to remaining health -- than sticking with that unsightly and illogical system of health bars. that seem to be ingrained in this genre like pancreatic cancer

>cop a face-full of a kill move that leaves a slither of HP
>get up
>throw out all manner of magical god attacks
>wiff
>get fairy tapped on toenail
>K.O.!!

Autismâ„¢
>>
>>378728806
So the idea of a comeback would be nearly impossible with your mechanics, no?
>>
File: Bison in Mario world GIF.gif (3MB, 281x187px) Image search: [Google]
Bison in Mario world GIF.gif
3MB, 281x187px
>>378728931
why?

I mean, you have to keep in mind that I'm not detailing everything that would need to be done for a 'no-HP bar' system to work. Shit like:
>organic damage output
(think: flailing boxer who gets lucky and knocks out an opponent who was bodying them)
>"spirit" meters (*hidden)
(think: Art of Fighting -- kills spamming dead and introduce much deeper strategy / 'meter' management)
>no visible stun gauge and stuns based on a "crush counter" type system (just not as rote / predictable)
(not a completely random mechanic; just not a conspicuous bar that fills for all to see)

in addition, defensive systems would have to form the foundation of any such game -- not how many hits combos have or how lenient input commands are... after all, when you learn to fight IRL, it's defending that comes first -- the spinning heals kicks and shit come much, much later

half the problem with modern fighters (as touched on in 'the video') is that defence is little more than a wooden blocking stance... this leaves very few options for players beyond the rush-down or the turtle style of gameplay

parries, push-blocks, just-guards, evades, rolling, damage reduction button (*like Melty Blood -- pressing buttons in time with combo hits reduce damage... mimicking one's conscious mitigation from attacks, as a non concussed righter would IRL) -- all the tools are present and have been accounted for for time immemorial... all that's been lacking is developer will to implement these elements into one, complete whole (...with the exception CvS's customisable "EX" gauge system, that is)
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.