[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did we go from this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: Gothic 2.png (3MB, 1597x1737px) Image search: [Google]
Gothic 2.png
3MB, 1597x1737px
How did we go from this
>>
File: the witcher 3.png (3MB, 1300x1672px) Image search: [Google]
the witcher 3.png
3MB, 1300x1672px
To this?
>>
Evolution, like in all human things and human themselves
>>
File: my ring.jpg (47KB, 382x379px) Image search: [Google]
my ring.jpg
47KB, 382x379px
>>378703437
You're probably one of the people who defend Morrowind's shit in game directions
>>
consoles
>>
>>378703708
morrowind does it best, you actually have to pay attention and interpret the quest, not just follow the HUD marker like a brainless idiot
>>
>>378704939
>he believes that something that makes quest execution "best" is complicating boring things
no wonder you enjoyed the game

lack of hud markers works in games like gothic or deus ex, games with small map full of detail, where everything is planned and carefully designed. It doesn't work in huge, bland morrowind levels.
>>
>>378703437
I ain't got time for all this shit. I just want to kill some monsters.
>>
>>378705216
I just like exploring and thinking for myself

May as well watch a youtube video if the game does everything for you
>>
>>378705319
kys, you're the reason why modern games are garbage
>>
>>378705407
You aren't thinking for yourself when the game still tells you what to do in a text dump.>>378705319
Only in games like Minecraft are you actually thinking for yourself since there's no rules or any explanation for things you can do.
>>
>>378705646
You are though, because the text doesn't pinpoint the exact pixel like a HUD marker does, it gives you clues you have to figure out and translate into the world
>>
>>378703437
Honestly this killed it for me.
Also the fucking literal GPS-System that is turned on on default. What the fuck?
It's not a good RPG. A skill tree and a fantasy setting are not the only thing an RPG should have.
Additionally to that the vast lack of world interaction. Just look at Gothic, TES-Series or KotOR-Games. Every NPC had a story to tell, every village was a new place to explore to the smallest detail. Every sidequest wasn't just "destroy this nest", "kill this ghost/monster" or "save this guy".
It's not a bad game. But it's not a very good one, and it's literally not an RPG at all.

pic unrelated
>>
>>378705646
it doesn't tell you what to do

It summarizes what you have done so far
>>
>>378703498
I'm glad that some games have the option to disable parts of those "in your face" UI elements
>>
>>378705319
What this guy said. No time to think where to go and what to do, just point me to the objective clearly and let my sword speak lesssgo
>>
File: 1494803399838.jpg (282KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1494803399838.jpg
282KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>378706705
>>378705319
>I don't have time for the hobby therefore everyone that does have time for the hobby must suffer from garbage games
>>
>>378706602
the problem with those options is that games usually fall apart if they've been built with the HUD marker crutch. e.g. skyrim is unplayable without the HUD markers, because the quest text and dialogue is so sparse and contains barely any info. The writers get lazy when they know you're just going to run at the marker anyway
>>
>>378703498
which assassin's creed game is that?
>>
>>378703437
>>378703498

Casual players don't have time to meticulously search every thing in a grassy patch of land for a single blood stain. All that is doing is taking out the tedious garbage that's unnecessary anyways. You may as well argue why they even have fast traveling in the game, because in a TRUE non-hold-your-hand realistic game, you would have to manually make yourself run between all the worlds all by yourself. That's what you want, right?
>>
>>378708803
>>378706908

If you don't have time for video games, then just watch TV
>>
>>378708803
fast travel is awful. Why even have a world if you're just going to skip it?
>>
>>378710736
Yeah let me walk 1 hour to reach a point.
>>
>>378710876
either the world is worth spending time in, or it isn't. Think about it.
>>
>>378710736
Dude I love playing trail walking simulator 2017 on the same trail repeatedly
>>
>>378710978
You make your own world, not the world itself.
It's like the real world, it is there but it is not your world. Your world is smaller and doesn't contain all the things that the real world contain.
>>
>>378711038
you're suggesting the world if full of bland empty trails, instead of interesting surprising things to find. Guess what encourages bad world design like that? knowing that players are going to fast travel skip it all anyway
>>
>>378711630
Yeah because I go out of my house and I find a lot of surpising things FUCKING IDIOT HOLY SHIT
>>
>>378705216
>Morrowind
>Bland
That's literally the LAST thing you could claim is wrong with Morrowind
>>
>>378711784
I'm talking about video games, not outside your house
>>
>>378711630
Bad world design is if they don't give you enough shit to actually explore and want to see the whole part of the map. Chests, quests, little neato things, w/e. But if they include those things (as they should), then there is no need to force a place to sit for long ass periods holding up to walk forward. You'l get to see everything anyways, unless you are not a completionist player, then the fault lies on the player.

It's up to the developer to make the landscape interesting enough for the player to go explore. Shit level design is essentially making a huge world where you run back and forth, but you have no knowledge of it existing because you're too busy trying to go from point A to point B for the 5th time
>>
>>378708803
actually, the Gothic-games have fast travel too
it's just unlocked later in the games
>>
>>378706908
It isn't a hobby.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.