[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Carmack

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: John_Carmack_working[1].jpg (109KB, 938x707px) Image search: [Google]
John_Carmack_working[1].jpg
109KB, 938x707px
>Made Id
>Made Doom & Quake
>Made rockets and founded armadillo aerospace
>Helped with occulus
>Used to soup up his Ferraris
>Invented many engines for many games

Is Carmack the most important guy in vidya?

Also
>As reported in David Kushner's Masters of Doom, when Carmack was 14, he broke into a school to help a group of kids steal Apple II computers. To gain entry to the building, Carmack concocted a sticky substance of thermite mixed with Vaseline that melted through the windows. However, an overweight accomplice struggled to get through the hole, and opened the window, setting off a silent alarm and alerting police. John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs'). Carmack was then sentenced to a year in a juvenile home
Based
>>
>>378665819
>He's a sociopath

Makes sense now how he stole millions from his company with no remorse
>>
Daily reminder to fix your posture.
>>
Carmack definitely owns. I think he is probably the strongest candidate for most important guy in vidya.

Tarn Adams has also had a big impact
>>
>>378665819
I mean just look at him
>>
>>378665991
He didn't steal shit.
>>
>>378665991
xplain fegget
>>
>>378665991
every successful & brilliant person is, welcome to life.
>>
>>378665819
Okay let's just ignore everything that happened in vidya before the year 1991
>>
>4chan was created because of somethingawful
>somethingawful was created because of quakenet
>quakenet was created because of quake
>quake was created because of john carmack

He is the hero that /v/ deserves, but not the one it needs. A watchful protector. A dark autist.
>>
There are probably a lot of developers and other people who work on the technology that have had a big impact that aren't famous. Like the developers who work on Unity. That isn't really the same as what Carmack did almost single handedly but you get what I'm saying.
>>
>>378666426
what one dude has done more than John?
Hes like elon musk, only he didn't steal from the taxpayers and his companies actually make money. (elon is a fagget)
>>
>>378666426

Who do you think has had a bigger impact in that era than Carmack had in his era? I dont think anyone is ignoring that time period its just hard to think of a single person who has done so much, from any era
>>
>>378666624
Maybe the pioneers of the hardware/software from which quake was run/coded on, along with every other game ever made?
>>
>>378666706
Richard Garriott. Ultima Underworld is older than Wolf3D too.
>>
>>378667315
>Richard Garriott

Oh yeah I forgot about him. What are some of his achievements
>>
File: 1430359920278.jpg (39KB, 408x525px) Image search: [Google]
1430359920278.jpg
39KB, 408x525px
>>378665819
>Id
>>
File: YuSuzuki610.jpg (115KB, 610x343px) Image search: [Google]
YuSuzuki610.jpg
115KB, 610x343px
Other most important guy in vidya coming through.
>>
>>378667915
riterarry who?
>>
>>378668069

Yu Suzuki (鈴木 裕? Suzuki Yū, born June 10, 1958) is a Japanese game designer, producer, programmer, and engineer, who helmed Sega's AM2 team for 18 years. He has been responsible for the creation of Sega's biggest global arcade hits, including three-dimensional sprite/texture-scaling games such as Hang-On, Space Harrier, Out Run, and After Burner, and pioneering polygonal 3D games such as Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter,[2] which are credited with popularizing 3D graphics in video games,[3][4][5][6][7] as well as the critically acclaimed Shenmue series of open world adventure games.[8][9] As a hardware engineer, he led the development of various arcade system boards, including the Sega Space Harrier, Model 1, Model 2,[2] and Model 3,[10] and was involved in the development of the Dreamcast console and its corresponding NAOMI arcade hardware.[11]

In 2003, Suzuki became the sixth person to be inducted into the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences' Hall of Fame. IGN listed him at #9 in their Top 100 Game Creators of All Time list.[12] In 2011, he received the Pioneer Award at the Game Developers Choice Awards.[13][14]
>>
>>378665819
>John was arrested, and sent for psychiatric evaluation (the report mentions 'no empathy for other human beings' and describes Carmack as 'a brain on legs').
reading that description makes me think of that guy
>>
>>378668328
sorry, THAT one
>>
>>378665819
He's in the top 5 along Shigeru Miyamoto and Hideo Kojima
>>
>>378665991
Zenimax for what they deserved.
>>
>>378667630
-Pioneered all modern wrpgs
-Pioneered all modern jrpgs
-Pioneered all modern mmos
-Created open world games
-Did 3D engines before ID

And so on. Play Ultima.
>>
>ferrari

trash taste, dropped
>>
>>378668531
>Hideo Kojima
Fucking kys
>>
>>378666478
>4chan was created because of somethingawful
>somethingawful was created because of quakenet
wut
>>
>>378668531

Kojima is cool but overrated

Miyamoto is also cool but hes literally an ideas man, games would be fine without him
>>
How does a turbo nerd have a better jawline than me?
>>
>>378668531
>Shigeru Miyamoto
Nintendo literally ruined video games.
>Hideo Kojima
Insane retard.
>>
>>378668956
Vidya today would've be as big if it weren't for Shiggy
DK alone survived the crash of 87' and grew up an entire generation with Mario and Zelda
>>
>>378669010
Both are idea-guy marketers similar to steve jobs.
>>
>all this shit
>doesn't know how to wipe hard drive
>got fucked by Zenimax lawyers
Nah, he's a shitter.
>>
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
>>
>>378665819
he used his autism for good
he's the batman of autism
>>
>>378669409
Does anyone have a video of him saying that?
>>
>>378669710
nvm just found one hmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzWQUlbMhwA
>>
>>378666478
This website literally wouldn't exist without carmack.
>>
HOW TO WIPE A HARDDRIVE GOOGLE HELP AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>378669313
Yes, but everything that has come out of Nintendo has pushed the vidya industry towards the lowest common denominator. Their mission statement is 'how can we appeal to the biggest audience possible?" Every idea that came out of Shigeru's head has been pure cancer.
>>
>>378669809
losing control of my faculties mmm
>>
>>378665991
So what? Companies legit aren't people.
fuck Cit Uni, sheeple
>>
It just makes me sad that he'll probably not work on 3D engines again, so we're never again getting a game that's as well optimized as Doom 4.
>>
File: auteurs-5-93.jpg (81KB, 600x348px) Image search: [Google]
auteurs-5-93.jpg
81KB, 600x348px
redpill me on the battleaxe
>>
>>378670259
I dont mind Carmack doing Space stuff
>>
>>378670259
On the other hand, he was developing that megatexture shitpile of an engine for 10 years.
>>
>>378668587
The difference is that carmack made the first 3D games than ran well on PC hardware.
Ultima Underworlds framrate was hot garbage.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.