[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

be honest, it's a good game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 11

File: 1490789991564.jpg (53KB, 510x720px) Image search: [Google]
1490789991564.jpg
53KB, 510x720px
be honest, it's a good game.
>>
For making a cumslut yeah.
>>
terrible combat
boring as fuck "exploration" (I don't give a fuck about your muh comy memes)
horrendous writing
tied for #1 with Ubisoft open world bullshit for things ruining the state of current AAA games
>>
>>378660230
>shit is literally unplayable without UNOFFICIAL patches
>good game
>>
>>378660870
>literally unplayable
lolno
>>
>>378660230
its a guilty pleasure of mine

it was my first rpg so i'll always remember it fondly even after looking back and realising how shallow it is
>>
>>378660230
It's boring as fuck
>>
>>378661070
Fuck off you underage cunt
>>
>>378661242
I'm not underaged but Im a really late bloomer when it comes to rpgs
>>
>>378660230
The only people who say it isn't are buttmad contrarian hipsters who don't like the fact that the game became mainstream.
>>
>>378661417
>became mainstream
What, like it was some kind of niche game for a while before it became big?
>>
>>378661417
I was a Draugrfucker like you but then I took an arrow to the asshole.
>>
yeah with 25 mods it's pretty acceptable
vanilla is complete shit however.
>>
>>378661524
people were butthurt about Oblivion too so yes
Skyrim just took it to new heights
>>
>>378660230

7/10
Good world, fun sometimes but lacks depth and challenge
>>
>>378660230
Skyrim has the breadth of an ocean and depth of a puddle. A fine game by normie standards.
>>
File: 754587786.png (123KB, 333x304px) Image search: [Google]
754587786.png
123KB, 333x304px
>>378660230
a true masterpiece. best open world game ever made. (until ES6 of course)
>>
>>378661417
>>378661584
Not mad about it becoming mainstream, I'm sad about what it sacrificed to get there.
>>
>>378660870
I believe the game is playable, but in all honesty, unofficial patches make the game a much smoother and better experience. Even then it's kind of disappointing that the community has to do the developer's work for them.
>>
I'm still playing skyrim to this day, albeit it is filled to the brim with mods. It's drastically different from my first playthrough.
>>
>>378661756
Dear god, why.
>>
>>378661907
It totally is playable... until it is not.
>>
>>378660230
why does every fucking quest in this game send me to the other corner of the map?
>>
>>378662124
its called padding
>>
>>378662124
Cause it has fast travel you fucking idiot
>>
>>378662319
you can't fast travel to locations you haven't found yet you absolute retard
>>
>>378660230

It's a mediocre game that only SEEMED good. But spend enough time with it and you'll realize how truly lazy Bethesda is. Sadly the modding community can breathe more life into Skyrim than Bethesda.
>>
>>378660230
Yeah, makes me wonder how they fucked up on Fallout 4. Or maybe it was a post New Vegas effect.
>>
>>378662360
>take carriage to nearest city
>ride horse for 3 mins
Boy that was hard
>>
is oblivion good? i absolutely adored morrowind

i bought the deluxe goty version from steam
>>
It's pretty good but collecting shouts is a real pain in the ass. You spend like 20 hours cleaning out draugr shitholes and when you finally get them you need to kill 50 dragons
>>
>>378662531
Oblivion is the best of both worlds
>>
>>378662526
>go to the city the quest tells you to go to, arrive there after 10 minutes
>enter
>immediately bombarded by 2 quests that you can't say no to because the game auto accepts them for some reason
>and the journal bloat continues
keep defending this shit faggot
>>
It's a garbage game.
Zero effort put into it.
>>
>>378662531
>is oblivion good?

No

It's cheesy and pretentious. You would get bored and drop it at about 4 hours in
>>
>>378662531
Oblivion is easily the worst TES.
However, if you're going to play it, DO NOT get OOO no matter what anyone tells you.
>>
>>378662648
wow that must be difficult for you
>>
Todd?
>>
Every dungeon looks the same and has the exact same undead enemies.

No explanation whatsoever why the undead rise in the dungeons.

Dragons look hilariously scripted and are a joke to fight.

Combat is just hack and slash the air in front of you.

Half the npcs are unkillable, destroying what little immersion there is.

Full of bugs and basically unplayable without 100 mods that fix literally every single aspect of the game.
>>
>>378662740
Why not, seems fine to me it fixes the monsters scaling bullshit
>>
>>378662928
>Every dungeon looks the same and has the exact same undead enemies.
Not true. There are two different kinds of dungeon. Draugr shitholes and Dwemer ruins.
>>
>>378663005
because the starting areas are filled with monsters 5~6 levels above you, and the quests that you get early one that require you to go to a dungeon and kill X are impossible to do since a lot of the times the target is level 20 (and you're level 1)
>>
>>378662740
>oblivion worse than skyrim

Kys
>>
>>378663005
Not him but it turns it into unscaled bullshit. So much fun going to starter areas with mobs 7 levels higher all over it
>>
>>378662648
>get quest that tells me to go to the other end of the province
>I HAVE TO DO THIS QUEST IMMEDIATELY INSTEAD OF FIRST FINISHING UP QUESTS IN THE AREA
>>378663056
And vampire hideouts
>>
>>378663098
Also OOO, by default, slows down your leveling by 3x.
That means that if you decide to do the main quest, for whatever reason, you'll still be extremely underleveled. The first time I went through OOO I was faced with a lv16 bear just outside of Kvatch who murdered the entire village as I ran away. The demons inside the oblivion game were level 5~6, and some level 7, and I was just level 3. It was a complete pain in the ass to level up.
>>
>>378662928
>No explanation whatsoever why the undead rise in the dungeons.

How is that a legitimate complaint? Why does fantasy magic need an explanation? You absorb a dragon soul and think nothing of it, but Draugr have you feeling perplexed?
>>
>>378660230
it's hands down the best TES game.
/v/ is fucking retarded about being so contrarian.
>>
Even Fallout 4 is better
>>
>>378662928
>Every dungeon looks the same and has the exact same undead enemies.
Draugr are overused but there are several distinct types of dungeons.

There is more lore behind Draugr than there was behind undead opponents in any other installment in the series.

>Dragons look hilariously scripted and are a joke to fight.
subjective

>Combat is just hack and slash the air in front of you.
as opposed to what, quicktime events?

>Half the npcs are unkillable, destroying what little immersion there is.
and there's a reason for that, NPCs tend to die a lot in these games, if enough essential ones die it basically removes half of the game's content.

>unplayable
there's that word again
>>
File: Peter-Hines-twitter.jpg (187KB, 600x518px) Image search: [Google]
Peter-Hines-twitter.jpg
187KB, 600x518px
>>378663252
So are all Bethesda employees this retarded then, even the ones shilling on /v/?
>>
>>378663345

Okay let's not be ridiculous
>>
>>378663056
So 2 copypaste dungeons pad the entire game. Is this really a triple A game? Skyrim is garbage.
>>
>The progression system is really bad. Removal of major/minor skills and lack of a level cap means every character is a master of all trades, there is no build variety. This discourages multiple playthroughs and roleplaying.

>Magic is terrible compared to past games. Cool stuff like teleporting and flying/levitating is gone.

>Removal of attributes meant Acrobatics is gone. This means no fun stuff like running at incredibly high speed and feeling like an absolute God in the game world by the end.

>Writing is mostly awful, Alduin is embarrassing, and there isn't a single good character in the entire game apart from Cicero. The only side quest that is remotely enjoyable is the Sanguine quest.

>You can join every single guild without consequences whatsoever on a single character

>Journal system is asinine. Because the game auto-accepts quests for you and you can't abandon them, your journal's gonna be filled up with same 50 quests at any time, it's ridiculous. Compass system is also overused.

DLC is okay though.
>>
>>378660401
>boring as fuck "exploration" (I don't give a fuck about your muh comy memes)

I think the random loot generation is one of the biggest damning factors that discourages exploration.
>>
>>378662928

oh okay, mr. smarty pants, but when Dark Souls explains little to NOTHING, it's suddenly fine and /v/ cums all over that standing around it in a circle because it's clever to leave it all up to the imagination.
>>
>>378663431
I'm going to go even further and say FO4's main quest has better writing than Skyrim's. Skyrim is that bad.
>>
>>378660230
it's a soulless game but it wasn't that bad to just mindless play through.
>>
>>378663409

"Magic" isn't a sufficient explanation? Do you need a 2 hour story that chronicles the further detail of how magic lets a corpse walk again?
>>
>>378663545

No. Skyrim's lore and quest writing is legitimately good. Only plebs can't recognize this.
>>
>>378663252
In other games there would be some necromancer or some evil magic that makes skeletons or undead rise.

But in skyrim, dungeons all over skyrim have undead rising in them and not a single NPC in the entire game even notices or mentions it or even questions it. Its ridiculous.
>>
>>378663504
I fucking hate faggots like you
The loot doesn't matter, the problem is the lack of any hand-crafted content anywhere in the damn game
"oh just slap another cave here I guess and then a draugr dungeon over there"
>>
going from skyrim to morrowind is so fucking jarring

everything (except the combat and starting speed) is just so fucking well done in morrowind and the main quest is actually interesting

what the fuck happened to bethesda?
>>
>>378663464
>You can join every single guild without consequences whatsoever on a single character
makes complete sense, it's a sandbox game you create your own limitations for. If your brave Nord Viking warrior hero who is the head of the Companions is trying to join the Dark Brotherhood despite it being out of character for him that's on you.
>>
WHERE IS THE TODDPOSTING

WHERE

I NEED IT COME ON
>>
I want to know why the greybeards are such stingy assholes. They can "gift" you knowledge of shouts but instead send you on a scavenger hunt for it all. There's no way they made Talos do that shit.
>>
>>378660230
It's okay, it's just happens to be the most overrated game of all time, which by proxy makes it a lot worse than it actually is.
>>
>>378663670
>Skyrim's lore and quest writing is legitimately good.
The only bit of Skyrim's lore that is good is the part that roots back to Kirkbride's writings, which just goes to show just how out of creativity Bethesda is without him. As far as "quest writing" goes, you're objectively wrong. Skyrim has the worst quests in any TES game, by far. The only memorable and good quest in the game is the Sanguine one. You literally can't name any other one, because everything else was boring as fuck.
>>
File: 1487114198741.gif (1MB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1487114198741.gif
1MB, 300x300px
>>378663464
>Cicero

Uhhhh, bitch
>>
>>378663345
anything Fallout cannot be better than anything TES, thanks to the differences of both setttings.
you can do a lot with a TES setting but with a Fallout setting it's very difficult to outperform a full-fledged fantasy setting because that one isn't based on scarcity in evironment and irreversible ruin.
>>
>>378663536
Dark souls has lore behind it and everything is eventually explained if you are autistic enough to research.

Skyrim just throws dumb shit in your face, its literally "its magic, dont got to explain shit!".
>>
>>378663673
>But in skyrim, dungeons all over skyrim have undead rising in them and not a single NPC in the entire game even notices or mentions it or even questions it. Its ridiculous.
you're just literally making shit up.
>>
>>378663670
>the Great War was good writing
>all the guild hall questlines has good writing
>the main quest has good writing
Get fucked.
>>
>>378663872
That's enough, Todd
>>
>>378663762
he's right though.
Cicero was the most authentic character in the entire game, thanks to the excellent voice acting and despite failing facial expressions while laughing because Bethesda is incompetent with these.
>>
>>378663985
Do you not understand how green texting works?
I was saying those things were bad.
>>
>>378664003
>Cicero was the most authentic character in the entire game

Mercer Frey was a better
>>
>>378663872

The Civil War/MQ does have good writing though. It is extremely well thought-out in every way. Especially the Great War book which goes in detail how the tactics worked and how the Dominion surrounded the Imperial City.

The guilds vary in writing. The College lore with the Eye is neat, but everything with the Thieves Guild is full retard.
>>
>>378663785
>Skyrim just throws dumb shit in your face, its literally "its magic, dont got to explain shit!".

that's not true. about the Draugr, the loading screen texts say that people believe it has something to do with them being in debt and therefore cursed by the dragons.

besides, TES lore is just as elaborate so there is some explanation for that as well. you'd only need to research too.
>>
>>378664136
that's because he was the only major character they used based Stephen Russell as a VA for.
>>
i cant believe they fucked up the dragons so bad

who looked at their design and thought that it was ok?
>>
>>378664364
there's a whole in-game book about them
http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Amongst_the_Draugr
>>
>>378662409
And people eat this shit up and praise Bethesda. This is how sad the gaming industry has become.

Sadly ES6 will likely not have a very good modding community. Most of the modders I have seen gave up or were chased away after the paid mods fiasco and are never coming back. Then there was the hilarity of what happened with FO4 where console users were demanding PC modders make mods for them, but couldn't because of the lack of script extender. Then when idiots tried to port over those mods anyway, and naturally they didn't work, they got all ass blasted and began doxxing modders for making mods that "would only work on PC." This pushed even more modders away. No doubt ES6 will incorporate the same system.
>>
someone in 96 when they were doing daggerfall
>>
I hate that you become the leader of guilds so fast. You may be a demigod chosen one but you should still have to work your way up. Every guild goes to shit the minute you join and you have to save the day. It's irritating that the main story forces you to join the college of winterhold when you aren't even a mage too.
>>
>>378664579
TES6 will have paid mods + mandatory bethesda.net launcher anon
it'll be dead on arrival
>>
>>378660230
>>378660230
Never got into it, but myformer friends use to preach to me about how great it is.
I bought it the day it was released, but couldn't binge play it. Should I try it again?
>>
>>378664579
This. It boggles the mind as to how and why Bethesda managed to alienate one of their biggest fanbases by catering to console babbies.

When mods have been one of the biggest draws to your games, why would you insist on your own modding platform where entitled children can scream at PC modders for not releasing a mod which was never going to work on console because of how piss poor console tech is, and how piss poor a developer Bethesda is.
>>
>>378664958
its passable for a playthrough but replayability is really non-existent

you should prolly just go back and replay Morrowind
>>
>>378664958
former friends
Do tell.

You might as well play it once, just to see what it's like. If you like it, throw on some mods. If not, just play Morrowind or Oblivion.
>>
>>378664579
>Most of the modders I have seen gave up or were chased away after the paid mods fiasco and are never coming back.

Modders quit communities and leave all the time, both for legitimate and retarded reasons. I don't think it will affect future TES modding.
>>
File: urshilaku-nerevarine.png (521KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
urshilaku-nerevarine.png
521KB, 800x600px
>>378663785
You're honestly complaining about lore in a TeS game and saying Dark Souls is better? I hope you're baiting. Lore is the best thing about TeS, it's the only reason why a lot of people can tolerate these buggy ass games. Fucking newfags I swear.
>>
>>378660230
It's bad. Morrowind and Oblivion are 100x better.
>>
>first time playing skyrim
>be on a cart
>oh its a cart carrying prisoners
>but theres barely any guards
>prisoners outnumber guards at least 2 to 1
>prisoners have their hands tied in front, not behind their backs
>theres also this guy who apparently has godlike powers of using the voice
>but nobody takes off his gag, even though they easily could since their hands arent tied behind their backs
>FUCKING HELL even the guy with the voice has his hands free to remove his gag
>but instead they make a casual chit chat and just take the ride to their execution site

dropped it soon after
>>
>>378663710
The need for AAA games to have completely voice acted dialogue kinda ruined this. This alone bloats budgets to the point where they can no longer hire a competent writer as the dialogue alone would cost in the hundreds of millions of dollars to voice act anything competent and cohesive. So they have to settle with bare bones straight to the point dialogue now.
>>
>>378660230
Overrated trash, play Oblivion
>>
Morrowind > Skyrim > Oblivion

only oblivion babies will disagree.
>>
did the special edition completely replace the base game on steam?
>>
>>378660230
I just finished Oblivion. The game was only good after 50 mods.

How does Skyrim compare? Is it good vanilla? Or does it need mods?
>>
>>378664364
>>378664473
>>378665115
Bethesda hasn't made the lore apparent in years though, so for someone just starting the game, the whole "world within someones dream" etc isn't going to known by them.

TES has fantastic lore, but it's never been brought to life properly because Bethesda writers are incompetent goons. Even with Fallout, Chris Avellone in an interview said all Bethesda did was browse through Fallout related wikis and forums when it came to writing Fallout 3. They are just that lazy.
>>
>>378665362
This has to be the worst roll pic ever made
Why aren't the numbers of the example post colored in? Why are the colored bars so uneven?
>>
>>378665606
got a better one, fuckaroo?
>>
>>378660230
It's a great game

But I don't know why you expect /v/ to like anything except obscure games or cult classics that they never played. This site is full of hipsters who hate popular things for literally no reason and regurgitate the same parroted opinions.
>>
>>378665514
You need at least 50 mods to make skyrim not an unplayable ugly borefest.
>>
>>378665548
>Bethesda hasn't made the lore apparent in years though

What kind of argument is this? The lore is apparent for everyone who wants to read a couple of paragraphs in a in-game book.

People who aren't interested in reading in-game text don't care about lore in the first place and are irrelevant to the discussion.
>>
>>378665514
Needs mods, the bugfix mod has a size of 175 MB. Yes it's that broken. And Special Edition didn't fix shit.
>>
>>378665548
Chris Avellone is one to talk.
>>
>>378665514
Depends on what you liked about Oblivion and what mods you downloaded.
>>
>>378665501
Nope, its a seperate game on steam
>>
>>378665548
Eh? Every game has a fuckton of lore. I just went through Oblivion and there were hundreds of books of lore. This isn't even counting conversations with NPCs.
>>
>>378665937
its not listed for me

i can only find the script extender and the special edition when i search it
>>
>>378665861
Not only that but you need to use Tesedit to fix the masterfiles' discrepancies and LOOT to reorder the mods just so that the game doesnt blow itself up after adding the mods, thanks to bethesda's laziness.
>>
>>378665843
Why is Cyrodiil not a jungle?
What the fuck were they thinking with ESO?
Why has everyone just plumb forgotten about the Argonians going full retard in Morrowind?
Why are Bosmer pissed off at the Dominion when it was their council who started it all of?
What the fuck is the deal with the Dragonborn?
Why does Boethiah keep sex changing?
How is Mehrunes Dagon still able to talk to people when he was permanently blocked from entering Nirn?
How can the player side with the empire yet still work for the DB and kill the emperor?

I could go on.
>>
File: tes_series.png (10KB, 625x727px) Image search: [Google]
tes_series.png
10KB, 625x727px
>>
>>378666276
What do retcons and plot holes have to do with the lore being "apparent"?
>>
>>378666496
>graphics and aesthetics are the same
No. Morrowind had unique aesthetics, it's just lacking in graphic quality because it's an older game.

>skyrim THAT high on dungeons
Even though Oblivion had copy +pasted dungeon aestechtics, the actual design and layouts for each dungeon were unique. Skyrim's all follow the same pattern eg there is a inaccessible exit door near the front of the entrance which you'll circle round to in order to leave. The only good dungeon in Skyrim was Blackreach.

The rest is spot on though.
>>
>>378666496
can you make a less shit graph?
im kinda of colour blind
>>
>>378660230
It has good points, but it's not a good game
Magic was a joke and there was no spell creation
On the other hand, blacksmithing was hilariously over-powered
The writing's atrocious
Companions are glorified pack mules
There's a lack of actual pack mules
You can't exterminate the werewolf guild because reasons
The dungeons were uninspired hallways

Dragonborn DLC was pretty good though
>>
>>378666594
Because it's apparent they don't give a shit about lore consistency, which is one of, if not THE most important thing when it comes to writing.
>>
>>378666775
So split "graphics/aesthetics" into "graphics" and "creative vision"?
>>
>>378666496
Gameplay also involves factors like quests, dungeons, roleplaying, and world/level design you know?
>>
>>378666885
Gameplay here basically means the minute moment-to-moment stuff like combat, walking around, balance, the inventory system, crafting, etc.
>>
>>378666868
That works.
I don't know if Oblivion or Skyrim would be lower. Oblivion is carried aesthetically Shivering Isles, so it could have a slight edge over Skyrim.
>>
>>378666885
Just because world design influences gameplay in some way doesn't mean that world design is part of gameplay you goddamn idiot
>>
>>378667005
Then Skyrim's shouldn't even be that high in that category
>>
>>378666496

Completely wrong.

1. Morrowind's graphics/aesthetics are better than Oblivion's. The alien landscape translates far better than playdough forests.

2. Oblivion has worse or about the same level of "role-playing potential" as Skyrim. You can fucking unlock anything in the game with 5 lockpick skill so long as you play the minigame enough.

3. Saying "IT'S YOU, THE HERO OF KVATCH!" barely counts as world cohesiveness. I still remember how the Mage's Guildhall in Bruma burns for eternity and is never fucking fixed.
>>
>>378667087
It is heavily involved with gameplay, because it involves navigation, obstacle course, strategical positioning, etc..
>>
>>378667126
The combat looks better, but doesn't function better because it renders skill trees and weapon specialization pointless. Animations are generally better. Balance is there if only because racial bonuses are more or less non existent, which isn't a good thing for me personally. The inventory system is easier to use, but looks like trash because it's using a horrible, immersion breaking "video game" layout, rather than it being a map or a journal. Crafting is okay I guess.
>>
>>378667271
With that logic every single aspect of a game is gameplay.
Grafix are part of gameplay because you need to see something to interact with it
>>
File: 4958627-1396839257.png (842KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
4958627-1396839257.png
842KB, 1024x768px
You bet it is.
>>
great for loverslab mods
>>
>>378660230
boring after awhile
>>
>>378667405
The menu system was utter trash, and it definitely wasn't easier to use for how fucking clunky it was.
>>
>>378663705
As much as I hate Skyrim that is simply not true, there are actually lots of handcrafted places and stuff in the game, you probably just didn't pay attention to it. I do agree that they overused the shitty draugr caves but compared to the other elder scrolls games this one actually had a pretty interesting world and that's the only good thing about the game outside of the soundtrack of course.
>>
>>378667208
I disagree with the lockpick thing. You shouldn't be hard locked (haha) out of chests and doors just because you didn't meet some arbitrary skill check when all the tumblrs in the world are the same design.
>>
>>378667651
>You shouldn't be hard locked (haha) out of chests and doors
Why?
>>
File: tes_series2.png (10KB, 625x757px) Image search: [Google]
tes_series2.png
10KB, 625x757px
New and "improved".
>>
>>378667776
Read the second half of my post.
>>
>>378667943
I did, and you want it all to be a minigame entirely based on player skill
I ask again, why?
>>
>>378667651

No, you absolutely should. When the player can use their own skill to do something, the character's skill becomes meaningless.

What is the point of the lockpick stat when a barbarian Orc who realistically doesn't have the fine skill to lockpick anything is able to do the job just as well as a rogue khajiit with 100 lockpick skill?

Characters being able to approach things in different ways is a good thing. Maybe you won't be able to get the loot out of every chest, but you'll be able to carry the loot you do pick up without problems while the rogue will have to pick and choose.
>>
>>378667407
world/level design is a core part of gameplay, you could have the most advanced combat system and it would be shit without good level design to make use of the abilities in interesting ways. Through stuff like enemy placement, interactive environments (particular with abilities), testing your timing and precision skill, macro-navigation in having figure out what the various locations means in relation with others especially for puzzles, etc, etc

Good world/level design can make or break video games. And the failure to execute it well its one of the main factors that made people hate Resident Evil 6.
>>
>>378667208
the lockpick minigame was actually the best minigame bethesda has made, but for an RPG it doesn't work
>>
>>378660870
>Ironically using the word literally

This isn't 2010, you sperg.
>>
>>378668313
*despite having one of the most indepth combat system for Resident Evil.
>>
>>378668137
Quite a few games have bashing open locked stuff have a high chance of breaking some of the stuff behind it.
>>
>>378660230
vanilla
>average
modded to hell
>yes
>>
>>378668067
Why not? You like arbitrary stat checks in videogames?
>>
>>378669080
Yes, I do like my RPGs to be RPGs
>>
>>378663705
The loot DOES matter, besides how much funner it is to have hand placed loot the designated loot chest influenced dungeon design. Almost every dungeon had a designated loot chest, and a secret exit near it, and a mini boss for the chest which forced the large majority of dungeons to be linear and snake around back to the entrance.
>>
>>378660230
It's fun but it's hionestly amazing how Bethesda can keep ruining an amazing setting like TES.
>>
Yes, it is a good game. However, it is NOT the orgasmic pinnacle of design like people seem to think it is.
>>
>>378667651
Then the flaw is having the lockpick skill in the first place, because it's a complete waste of a slot in Oblivion as the only possible use of it gameplay-wise is to get Agility points on the level up screen thanks to the horrible attribute leveling system it inherited from Morrowind. It doesn't even have perks that increases loot from chests like in Skyrim, so the entire effect of the skill is to make the lockpicking minigame easier. But an easier lockpicking minigame just means that you pick locks quicker, which has no impact on gameplay because the world is fucking paused the entire time no matter how long you take. You can't even break a lockpick unless you, the player, click at the wrong time.

>>378669080
It's the opposite of arbitrary. Skill is supposed to represent how good your character is at something. If your character skill influences the decisions you make, then it is a good RPG. If I'm thinking "I could try to pick this lock, but my skill is so low that chances are somebody will see me before I manage to open it" then I've made an in-character decision. I've role-played. But I didn't need my imagination to do it: the rules of the game helped me do it by encouraging me to play to my character's strengths.

The great thing about TES games is that nothing is off-limits; low skill just means you suck at something rather than being forbidden from even trying it. Maybe I try it anyway and lose all my lockpicks or get caught and go to jail. That's an interesting development in the game which wouldn't have happened to my thief character. Our paths have diverged thanks to our roles, creating replayability by the fact that the situation plays out differently for each character.

If you want an open-world game where character skill never factors into anything, without levels or any of that "arbitrary" shit getting in the way of what you the player can do, then you want an action-adventure game, not an RPG. Try BotW, it's one of my recent favorites.
>>
>>378670660
Did you even play any of the games in the series?
>>
>>378663536
but dark souls has fun combat
>>
>>378662531
It's pretty much the worst TES, at least not counting spin offs like Shaodwkey or Battlespire or the first one, Arena.

The gameplay is a less refined Skyrim. It's not satisfying to play like a normal game, nor fun to break like with Morrowind. The world is perhaps the most boring open world in existence, and much of it was randomly generated during production. The dungeons are also boring, since if you've seen one, then you've seen them all.

The quests are nice though. The factions are all great, with the dark Brotherhood being the strongest and the Fighter's Guild being the weakest. Some of the individual quests are fun too, like going inside of a painting or diving into ruins for a malevolent benefactor. All of them will require you to sword or magic your way through though. Don't expect Fallout or Arcanum.

Get it on sale for less than $5 if you really want to.
>>
>>378670731
You agree with me.
>>
>>378667651
>I shouldn't be unable to do something just because my character doesn't know how to do i
People like you are why the Elder Scrolls games keep being dumbed down with every iteration.
Have you ever thought that maybe the RPG genre just isn't for you?
>>
>>378671727
At least Shadowkey has some cool lore.
>>
>>378667651
>You shouldn't be hard locked (haha) out of chests and doors just because you didn't meet some arbitrary skill check
You're the fucking cancer killing RPGs and TES. Fuck you you fucking faggot.
You're the reason RPGs are all about the player and stopped being about the character you're playing.
>>
>>378671965
It's not that you don't know how to do it though, just that you suck at it like >>378670731 points out. Literally all locks in Cyrodil are the same and if you know how to pick one you know how to pick them all. Low skill just means your chances of failure are higher - not that you can't try.

If you want an RPG where literally everything is a stat check then TES ain't for you.
>>
>>378663252
They explained why the dead rose in Morrowind. They even had a very unique view on necromancy that was interesting.
>>
>>378672469
>Low skill just means your chances of failure are higher
You were locked out if your security skill was too low Morrowind and Daggerfall, and in Oblivion and Skyrim you didn't have a higher chance of failure because it was a skill based minigame. What are you even talking about?
>>
>>378663673
I don't like to defend Skyrim but it is explained why Draugr exist.
>>
>>378670731
>Maybe I try it anyway and lose all my lockpicks or get caught and go to jail.

Except that doesn't happen because lockpicking pauses the game, lockpicks are so plentiful you'll never run out once you're a couple of hours into a playthrough, and there's a giant indicator that shows if you're in someone's line-of-sight.
>>
>>378672951
>and in Oblivion and Skyrim you didn't have a higher chance of failure because it was a skill based minigame
I fucking hate Skyrim but that's just blatantly untrue, unless you wanna spend 10 minutes going through 4000 lockpicks trying to get an expert lock without any levels in lockpicking
>>
>>378672951
A higher security skill means more tumblers stay locked after a failure and they fall slower.

Perhaps you should replay the game before spouting horseshit.
>>
>>378671910
In one sense, yes, but we have different tastes in games. I would rather that the skill wasn't pointless and did in fact have an effect on what your character is capable of. I love Oblivion's lockpicking minigame but the implementation of it made the game less of an RPG. In its current state the Security skill is better off removed, but my ideal solution would be to adjust the minigame to add real risk to attempting it at low skill levels instead of removing the skill outright. I want to feel like I suck at picking locks if I have low skill, and I want my skills, stats, attributes, reputations, ranks, etc. to influence every decision I make in some way. To me, that is the core gameplay of an RPG. I love a good action-adventure and it's rare for one with as many options and gameplay freedom as Oblivion. I'd like for more games like Oblivion to exist with even less emphasis on "arbitrary skill checks" to satisfy myself and others who want that sort of game.

But Daggerfall and Morrowind made TES into my favorite game series, so you must understand my disappointment at what, from my perspective, is a massive regression in gameplay in most aspects of Oblivion and Skyrim. My characters are more homogenized, my playthroughs more similar to each other, and my options are fewer.

>>378673214
Perhaps I wasn't clear, but I was saying that Oblivion did NOT provide that dynamic, which is why the system is a poor one for an RPG.
>>
>>378673418
There is never any risk to picking a lock in Oblivion. If that eye is closed the one time you click the door, then you are guaranteed not to get caught even if you spend hours waiting for the right tumbler animation. Furthermore, there is no situation in which the lockpick is at risk unless you click for no reason. You can stand there tapping at a tumbler for as long as you want and literally nothing bad will happen. You'll never get caught or lose a lockpick. All you have to do is keep tapping until you hear the right audio cue, then click. If you do this, your level 5 security character is a master thief who can pick any lock in tamriel with no fear of getting caught or losing picks.

The entire skill and its perks are nothing more than crutches at a minigame that doesn't need any. If there was a test of reflexes where if you got the sound cue but failed to click you could break your pick, or if there was any gameplay benefit to picking locks faster to avoid patrolling guards or enemies in dungeons, then that crutch might actually help you. But in vanilla Oblivion it means nothing unless you (not your character) completely suck at the minigame.
>>
>>378666276
>Why does Boethiah keep sex changing?

He's a deadra, and therefore doesn't really have a sex, but I guess that more of answers "how" and not "why." At least when Vivec gender switches, it's because he's a god of contradiction and therefore a hermaphrodite. There's a theological and mystical reason that he changes. Why Boethiah does it, I do not know.
>>
>>378674598
Your lenghty tirade only works if you consider a player perfect and will always pick locks on their first try with no failed tumblers. The fact that this isnt true means bonuses such as decreased fall speed and non reset tumblers reflect an increase in character skill at security.

It's not perfect, but to suggest it meaningless is wholly insincere.
>>
>>378666496
Going to have to disagree with aesthetics. Morrowind's is much stronger than either Oblivion or Skyrim, just older. Maybe split those categories up?
>>
>>378674963
>if you consider a player perfect and will always pick locks on their first try with no failed tumblers

m8 this is a game with 100 hours of content. You don't have to be perfect with the 1st try. You're going to be playing the minigame over and over and over.
>>
>>378674969
>>378667845
>>
>>378660230
Absolutely master price of a geam
>>
>>378663098
>B-but it's hard.
Git gud or git stealth.
>>
File: 1496249952341.jpg (60KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1496249952341.jpg
60KB, 320x240px
>>378660230
Mfw still playing vanilla on ps3 to this very day
>>
>>378674963
I've played the fuck out of Oblivion. The lockpicking minigame is fantastic and it was very satisfying when I finally figured it out. That was 10 years ago, and for me today the skill does absolutely nothing. There is no consequence for me to try to pick a lock beyond my skill level. Lockpicks weigh nothing and are plentiful, and I almost never break a pick because the game is so forgiving: it patiently waits while I tap, tap, tap until I get that second clink sound, which gives me a 100% chance to set that tumbler.

You don't have to be perfect. You just have to learn how the minigame works. Once you've reached that point, even if you fail once in a while there's no real gameplay benefit to increasing the skill. Answer me honestly: when's the last time you actually ran out of lockpicks in Oblivion? When did you last give up on trying to open a door or chest because your security skill was too low?

Recently on my heavily modded replays of Oblivion I've just modded the lockpicking to a real-time one with multiple lockpick qualities vaguely similar to Morrowind's, which made the game a lot more fun for me. I have my eye on another one that brings the minigame itself into real time, which might be the best of both worlds and I'll give it a try next time.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.