[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever since the paid mods debacle we have been under siege by

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 4

File: valve-logo[1].jpg (41KB, 1240x826px) Image search: [Google]
valve-logo[1].jpg
41KB, 1240x826px
Ever since the paid mods debacle we have been under siege by invaders trying to change the discourse to be anti-Valve. Let's discuss strategies to counter this and generally talk positive about Valve for a change.
>>
Or, we can talk positively about Valve, when they do something to deserve it.
>>
>>378657385
No.
>>
File: ooh baby a triple.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ooh baby a triple.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
VR is great and i have high hopes for their 3 games
>>
>>378657494
this

valve hasn't done shit but sit on their ass and cash in from other devs through steam
>>
>>378657385
>generally talk positive about Valve for a change

How about I'll talk positively about them when they release a AAA game that isn't designed around microtransactions
>>
>>378657494
>Dota 2 in general
>championing VR while Oculus became Facebook spying shit
>supporting Neil Blomkamp
>giving us refunds
>fixing TF2 right as Overshit came out
>>
>>378657385

Ever since the paid mods debacle, We've come to learn that Valve only really cares about making money.

Steam is too big, and drones defending their monopoly is pathetic.

Mention a game that isnt on steam, and you will get people shitposting about it, just because it uses a different fucking DRM program.
>>
>>378657385
I don't blame valve, I blame DOTA2.

Fuck Mobas.
>>
>>378657734
Steam is the most benevolent DRM program. It has no downsides that other storefronts don't also have. There is no reason not to support Steam other than a fervent anti-Valve bias.
>>
>>378657385
>invaders

No, you need to go back.
>>
>>378657639
>Dota 2 in general
A cancerous community that is obbsessed with bad competitive gameplay isn't a thing to praise them over.
>championing VR while Oculus became Facebook spying shit
Saying they championed VR is a bit stupid because alot of other companies have been interested in doing it for awhile. I'd argue Oculus started to get the ball rolling, not Valve.
>supporting Neil Blomkamp
I don't know who that is, so I can't comment on that.
>giving us refunds
Only because they are legally obligated in most countries they operate in. They have to follow the law anon, you shouldn't be praised for doing it.
>fixing TF2 right as Overshit came out
TF2 is still a pile of garbage, with a terrible community. The games a stagnate pool of piss water. Adding more hats won't fix it.
>>
>>378657385
>let's suck Valveā€™s dick
No thank you
>>
>>378657958
>A cancerous community that is obbsessed with bad competitive gameplay isn't a thing to praise them over.
>SC2chimp reeeeeing because his "superior" game is dead
Next.
>>
>>378657385
I'll praise Valve when they make a single-player game. Preferably a good one.
>>
>>378658009
I don't play any Moba's. But thank you for not contributing.
>>
>defending corporations

How fucking brainwashed do you have to be to want to do this. Consumerism was a mistake.
>>
>>378657734
It's not a monopoly you faggot
>>
>>378657639
>fixing TF2
Fuck you. I can tell you're a Pcbro that doesn't even play TF2. I have 3.2k hours in that game and Meet Your Match is in the process of killing TF2.
The new matchmaking system is awful. It takes way too long to get into a game and mandatory autobalance needs to be readded. Valve needs to add back the old system.
>>
>>378658057
tf2
>>
>>378658131
Valve isn't like other corporations, mostly because they're not beholden to shareholders. They've figured out how to advance their interests and player's at the same time.
>>
>>378658143
You know what he meant, faggot. Stop redirecting the argument to be about autistic semantics.
>>
>>378658241
>Valve isn't like other corporations, mostly because they're not beholden to shareholders
Valve is a corporation that is held to their share holders even if the company isn't publicly traded
>>
>>378657385
I wish they would go public so I could buy stock. All the haters are mouth breathers.
>>
>>378658274
No one knows what he means when he calls some company that doesn't have a monopoly on anything a monopoly.
>>
>>378657385

Valve have not made a brand new game for years and haven't created a new IP for nearly a decade.

They are parasites that leech off an established community's creativity while providing nothing in return. They're encouragingup young adults and children to develop gambling addictions and they do not care.

Steam Machines crashed and burned.
SteamOS was quickly forgotten.
They gave their VR tech to HTC.
All of Half-Life's original writers have left the company

Fuck Valve and fuck their shitty practices.
>>
>>378658241
>They've figured out how to advance their interests and player's at the same time.

That's funny. I as a gamer who enjoys Valve's single player offerings am not getting my interests advanced in the slightest.

And I was there before the ASSFAGGOTS moba players.
>>
>>378658415
>They are parasites that leech off an established community's creativity while providing nothing in return. They're encouragingup young adults and children to develop gambling addictions and they do not care.
This describes Blizzard, not Valve.
>>
>>378657859
>>378658143

Steam is not the most benevolent DRM program.

How many instances of "webhelper" do you have running right now? Steam scans just as much info from your system as origin does.

Steam is also basically a monopoly at this point, I think something like 90% of digital PC game sales are done through steam. This allows them to abuse their market strength with bullshit like paid mods and steam subscriptions (Which you never hear about anymore because everyone shot the idea down so hard, but GabeN wanted to people to pay a monthly fee to access their games)

The only good DRM platform is GoG Galaxy, and it isnt a DRM platform
>>
If you actually appreciate what valve accomplished, why wouldn't you talk shit and make fun of them these days?

They literally gave up making real video games to become an mmo business
>>
>>378658241
>this argument again

Look, it doesn't really matter if shareholders are involved or not, they're still a corporation, and their decisions are based on money. It just happens that the decisions they've made thus far have been relatively more "friendly" to users than, say, EA. They're filling a niche here, but they're ultimately not really responsibly looking out for the consumer.
>>
>>378658298
Your stupid. Gabe owns most of it and the rest is split between the devs who were there from the beginning.
>>
Gamers could vote with their vallets better, those millions of dollars they keep earning aren't returning to us in no other ways but more cheapshot "social-psychology" ways to rob us of our money. My biggest gripe is how Steam UI feels outdated shit from 2007 with big design logic flaws, everything they do is shit lmao
>>
>>378658483
>Steam is also basically a monopoly at this point, I think something like 90% of digital PC game sales are done through steam.
You contradicted yourself right here. It can't be a monopoly at all if it only gets 90% and not all of it.

That's like saying Microsoft is a monopoly on operating systems and office software when it isn't at all
>>
>>378658390
No, actually, we know full well what he means. People these days very often use "monopoly" in that technically incorrect way.
>>
>>378658458

Are you fucking deluded?

Valve has focused their attention on gamble boxes instead of games for like 10 years.

They turned TF2 into a gamble box sim
They turned CSGO into a gamble box sim
They turned DOTA into a gamble box sim.

The only difference is that Blizzards loot boxes are free.

Valve fills up your inventory with micro-advertisements telling you to spend $1 on a key.
>>
>>378658534
Yeah because they shouldn't try to make money.
>>
>>378658579
Every ceo owns most of the company stock you stupid fuck. It means having 51% of the stock makes his vote most powerful and gives him ownership. Valve is still a corporation because it offers stock even if it is privately traded
>>
>>378658653
It'd not a monopoly in any sense of the word. Stop making shit up then trying to defend it with your half baked bullshit
>>
>>378658698
Except Valve lets you make money off the "gamble boxes", and most people do profit off of them. Blizzard's loot boxes gives you no money and just drain your wallet instead of filling it up.
>>
>>378658707
The original argument is that they do things that make them money and that benefit the consumers. It is more true for them than other companies, yes, but it is not completely true, as they could be doing more to benefit users, while also making money at the same time, like for example, continuing making great single player games. But they make a lot more money maintaining and expanding their store, considering the 30% cut they get from every sale.
>>
>>378657639
>Overshit
wew, who gives a shit about either game?
>>
>>378658839
I agree that it's not the correct term, but seriously stop replying to me and actually present an argument that targets that anon's implied meaning rather than wasting time arguing with me about words. Remember, I am not that anon.
>>
>>378658943

>Except Valve lets you make money off the "gamble boxes", and most people do profit off of them

that sounds like gambling to me
>>
>>378658943

You CAN make money off of loot boxes, and every time you make that money Gabe gets a nice 50% cut.

Blizzard's loot boxes don't drain your wallet because you earn them by actually playing the game.

It's crazy that Valve has such a cult-like following that they can force micro-transaction content on a full-paid game and still get praise for it.

I used to be a steamdrone too, you'll learn eventually
>>
>>378659096
>actually present an argument
How about you first since you made an argument that was based on a completely false preconceived notion
>>
>>378658943

>Valve makes you to open a shitty box and you get shit loot. The house wins
>Steam market player makes you pay to open a shitty box and you get shit loot. The house wins

Its still gambling you idiot
>>
>>378658943
>and most people do profit off of them.
the reality 99.9% of the time
>play 5-6 games
>get a skin worth 5 cents
>get a crate
>buy a key for $2.50
>get a skin worth 25 cents
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnT2TtOTi2Y
don't worry though. if I was also a 14 year old NEET Pcbro, I'd also think playing 2 hours of CSGO for 5 cents in Steam dollars was major profit
>>
>>378657616
Valve has done quite a lot for VR and inputs in general. The fact that you can use PS4, Xbox and Xinput controls at the same time without the need of some shitty unreliable POS (other than steam) is pretty cool.
>>
>>378659180
As I said, I am not that anon.
>>
>>378659323
>VR

Of which most people don't benefit from except for rich fags.
>>
>>378658458
The Overwatch loot box system is more akin to a gacha. The items have no value outside of the game and once you've obtained one you have no reason to ever care about getting it again. Valve's system is gambling because the most valuable items can only be obtained by paying real money for keys. Anybody that says you can get skins that are worth more than a dollar from the random drops are bullshitting, you have to pay into the system for the hopes of getting a rare item and profiting.
>>
member when
>New games were cheaper than their console equivalents.
>Steam had god sales with big discounts
>Denuvo wasn't spread like cancer.
>Modding wasn't actively campaigned against.
I member...
>>
File: jeb.jpg (55KB, 800x606px) Image search: [Google]
jeb.jpg
55KB, 800x606px
Where my GOG anons at? We will win this race in the long run as steam falls down we will rise.

S L O W AND S T E A D Y

L

O

W

AND

S

T

E

A

D

Y
>>
>>378657385
Well, in terms of positivity I'm liking the sound of Steam Direct.

..But that's only because it might help put out the dumpster fire that Valve themselves lit with Greenlight.
>>
>>378657958
>not knowing that oculus was made by ex-valve employees
>>
>>378660371
>not knowing that the Oculus founders inspired the Valve employees to work on VR rather than experiment slowly with AR
>>
>>378658483
Source for the Steam subscription thingy ?
>>
>>378657385
>talk positive about Valve
What has Valve to do with /v/? Valve is not a video game company.

Let's talk positive about Walmart on /v/!
>>
Hating on a company that dragged pc gaming out of the dark ages. I don't understand you people. The steam platform is undeniably the best thing to happen to pc gaming since the invention of pcs themselves. The fact that they take a cut from other devs sales is irrelevant since those games would never sell otherwise.
>>
>>378658747
Your stupid not every ceo owns 51% of stock. Very few do actually. Talk to me when you own stocks kiddo.
>>
>>378662902
>dragged pc gaming out of the dark ages
lol
>>
>>378662329
Valve is video games incarnate.
>>
>>378657639
>ASSFAGGOTS
>Giving a shit about VR this early
>Literally who
>Something that should have been there from the beginning
>2 shitty games
>>
>>378663269
I stand by that statement. Before you had no way to know if your friends were on or what they were playing and no integrated chat client. Your ungrateful.
>>
>>378663463
lwl, what has Facebook to do with PC gaming?
>>
>>378663532
Facebook stole all that from steam
>>
>>378662902
>those games would never sell otherwise

Are you fucking kidding me?
So before Steam, how did PC games ever sell then?
Steam has become the software equivalent of a console.
It's the box you have to get through to play your fucking games.
>>
ITT whining babies
>>
>>378663624
>He never heard of BBS, Compuserve, Kali and IRC.
>>
>>378663768
To be honest they sold poorly. And you can still buy all these games some other way if you would like. BUT YOU DONT.
>>
>>378663939
My uncle actually ran a bbs back in the day. Take that compuserve sit back to the incinerator.
>>
>>378657639
>Dota 2 in general
A game infested by idiotic cosmetics that don't even have to fit the theme of the hero anymore and an over-reliance on "le esports" from a company with more money than god that relies on fucking CROWDFUNDING to get millions of dollars for a prizepool

What Valve has been doing to Dota 2 doesn't fucking deserve praise. It's scummy as shit. There is no reason why its players should pony up for a competitive prizepool.
>>
>>378664280
I agree Dota sucks along with all mobas. The only reason they are around is because faggots keep playing them.
>>
>>378664040
Compared to console? Absolutely.
That's because everyone defaults to steam only.
>>
>>378664730
Who's fault is that shitlord? No one's stopping you from buying from a retailer or downloading from dev directly. There is a reason for this. If you hate steam then don't fucking use it.
>>
>>378657385

unless valve starts using some of the billions of dollars they made selling cosmetics to literally retards to fund ports of games to linux or even mac then they can fuck off.
>>
>>378664980
>If you hate steam then don't fucking use it.
Exactly, just throw the PC into the trash.
>>
>>378662902
>Hating on a company that dragged pc gaming out of the dark ages.
>because a company did something good before, they are immune to criticism

Nintendo saved home gaming, Sony was amazing taking games into the 3D era, and MS provided a reliable online service (despite being complete Jews and the reason why its paid for all three companies now), but that doesn't mean they aren't all complete shit in different ways now and that we shouldn't call them out for their shit. Valve is no different.
>>
>>378665136
Valid points. I don't think steam is perfect. I just feel it is the best option for pc gaming. If these people are so mad they are permitted to use another service.
>>
>>378665381
>If these people are so mad they are permitted to use another service.
Except if they want to play most of PC games
>>
>>378665381
>If these people are so mad they are permitted to use another service.
I switched to PSN.
As a result I saved on Microsoft, nVidia and Intel too.
>>
>>378665130
Don't all valve games already run on Mac and Linux? Your argument is literally with all other developers and not Valve .
>>
>>378665742
I actually use both. Psn has about .05% of the games on steam unfortunately.
>>
>>378657385
They used to make and publish great games.
Now I guess have some nice discounts on their platform, and the refund thingy is nice. There's not much positive things to say about Valve in 2017.
>>
>>378665864
>Psn has about .05% of the games on steam unfortunately.
It has Project Diva, that's good enough.
>>
>>378657617
>CS GO
>Designed around microtransactions

You have no idea what the fuck you're talking about
>>
>>378666398
What is this? Elaborate please friend.
>>
>paying full price to rent a game when you could pay no price to own it

wew laddy
>>
>>378666489
Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA (åˆéŸ³ćƒŸć‚Æ -Project DIVA-?) is a series of rhythm games created by Sega and Crypton Future Media. The games have appeared on the PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Nintendo 3DS, iOS, Sega RingEdge and PlayStation Vita platforms. The series currently consists of 5 main titles and 3 spin-offs. The series primarily makes use of Vocaloids, a series of singing synthesizer software, and the songs created using these Vocaloids most notably the virtual-diva Vocaloid Hatsune Miku. The game is the first video game to utilize the Vocaloid software developed by the Yamaha Corporation.
>>
>>378666756
OK thanks. Not my cup of tea but whatever floats your boat.
>>
>>378666756
>virtual-diva Vocaloid Hatsune Miku
Can weebs get more retarded than that? That's a low that's gonna be hard to top.
>>
>>378667003
It's fun to play and worth leaving Steam behind alone.
>>
>>378658241
This doesn't magically make them altruistic.

And they've figured out how to advance their interests while making it appear as though they care about yours. They don't. But they sure get a whole lot of mileage out of people praising them in public forums.
>>
Honestly fuck valve
They've got a way of taking cool ideas upon themselves, and making themselves the standard for that cool thing, and just doing a REALLY BAD JOB with it
>>
>>378667951
Give me your steam account
>>
>>378657385
>Let's discuss strategies to counter this

QA on all the shit they sell
DRM free
game ownership
being able to resell games to others using the market
lower pricing (idk why a steam digital download is more expensive than a console game on amazon)

until then fuck valve, I'll keep pirating
>>
>>378668847
>pirating
Poor fag detected
>>
>>378657385
>Notice all this DOTA 2 hate

Is it really that bad? Never played and knew the community was AIDs, but didn't expect it to be THIS hated on /v/.

Your reasons?
>>
>>378661392
i want to know as well
>>
Am I the only PC user who doesn't give a flying fuck about mods? They could charge you $50 for a complete re-skin of Fallout and my life would be the exact same.

Vanilla > mods

It's hard for me to think that a mediocre vanilla game could turn out a great experience just by adding some rule changing mods created by some random.
>>
File: games that i really own 2.jpg (4MB, 1446x8648px) Image search: [Google]
games that i really own 2.jpg
4MB, 1446x8648px
>>378660076
>tfw fifth of my library is on gog
soon
>>
>>378657639
>fixing TF2
You mean killing it even further right?
The matchmaking bullshit is making an already bad game virtually unplayable.
>>
>>378670237
what if a mod fixes some mandatory element of the game? What if said mod, read "unofficial patch", become paid?
what stops devs get lazier or start charging money for patches, seeing how well idiots are buying those.
>>
>>378660076
Hopefully they get more support from PC exclusive devs. They've got some good games recently out/coming soon but it's still less than half of the ones I've been keeping an eye on.
>>
>>378670603

Patches are mandatory for making the game work properly, unless you're refering to balancing and all that stuff, which I honestly don't pay much attention to, but no, they would still not charge you because no matter how jew a company can be, common sense is common sense.

Mods do not fix games per se, they try to improve some aspects of it (theoretically). However, there's always a limiti. You can't turn Fallout 4 into Divine: Original Sin just by coding some add-ons. You might as well just play a different game.
>>
>>378670237
"Mods" used to mean that when you buy a game, what you're really buying is the game engine, a bunch of professionally-made levels, and the right to play all the stupid little levels at various states of incompletion that will inevitably flood custom multiplayer servers and online forums. Occasionally there was a genuine gem in the rough, and that was made it worth it.
So yeah, I don't get the hype around modern "mods" either. Most are just skins or unnecessary game-breaking tweaks. But then again, there are plenty of games which are just objectively worse without some sort of fan-made fix. Think back to Skyrim's godawful UI.
>>
>>378670603

There's no such things as a crucial element that makes the game work. You can't fix the core gameplay with mods. A bad game will always be a bad game, unless they make it from scratch.

Example: Skyrim's modding community is huge, and the game is still shit, because is a shitty RPG, with shitty plot and shitty dungeons.
>>
>>378672034
But with mods, I changed Skyrim from a shitty RPG game into a shitty porn game.
>>
>>378672034
game breaking bugs that you can fix and distribute under the guise of mod
>>
>>378657385
Yeah i found it out of character to be honest for /v/ to start shitting on valve because they wont release half life 3 then in other threads they claim to not care about it... what the fuck.

I like valve, if it werent for their accessible prices i would still be pirating everything i play.

I havent pirated a game since 2010.
>>
>>378670327
>broken age

Nigga, you gay.
>>
>>378672329

Game breaking bugs are not the same as regular bugs, and they're not that common to begin with. You can put +100 hours in most games and never get stuck, softlocked, or have your save file magically erased. These things CAN happen, but not that often; if that were the case, the devs in charge would fix it 97% guarantee.
>>
Stop saying Steam is a fucking monopoly. Valve doesn't do anything to keep other publishers from putting their games where they want. If they did do this, then they WOULD be a monopoly. It's not Valve's fault Origin and Uplay and all these other clients fucking suck and the devs/publishers don't want to sell their games there.

Not even a Valve fanboy, just sick of seeing Steam being called a monopoly simply because devs and publishers CHOOSE to sell on Steam first and foremost.
>>
>>378657385
fuck off shill.

valve is no longer a game company, they're steam and DRM, nothing more
>>
>>378658943
>Except Valve lets you make money off the "gamble boxes", and most people do profit off of them.

No. Valve let's you trade gamble boxes for in store currency.
>>
>>378659543
playing games on a laptop or xbox360/ps3 on Ugandan internet is 'gaming' in the same way paralympic sports is real sports
>>
>>378657385
Bait thread or actually retarded?
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.