[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this studio so overated? I always read people posting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (46KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
46KB, 1920x1080px
Why is this studio so overated?

I always read people posting how they expect them to make AAA "mature" titles, but why?

Sure, they made 3 good FPS games (which were also horrible Metroid games) and 2 amazing platformers, but why do people hail them as the greatest devs in Nintendo?

It's almost as baffling as the people who say they should make a new IP. Why? What evidence is there that they could come up with something new and creative?

Like I said, good devs, but way overated and I just don't understand.
>>
>>378636228
Why wasn't the first Prime a good Metroid game?

It was literally all about exploring mysterious alien environments.

I'm not a Nintenkid, so please educate me.
>>
>>378636384
They were just shit Metroid games that totally lost all feeling and many other aspects of the 2D games. Items were gone, power ups were gone, abilities were gone, character and enemy designs took a shitter, etc.

The gameplay was too radically changed, and it's not a case of "Well it's 3D so they had to change things", they just made it too different. It's like they made a FPS adventure game and tacked on the Metroid name at the very end.
>>
>>378636669
Did you play it at release? Honest question. The game was stunning back then. Shit was state of the art and inspired feelings of awe.
>>
>>378636669
sounds like an Other M fan
>>
>>378636669
>Items were gone, power ups were gone
drink bleach you tedious mongoloid
>>
It's because for many people Metroid Prime was their magical singleplayer experience that has no flaws and must have it's honor defended at all times.

One of my favorite things about Retro's Donkey Kongs is that they're just fucking videogames and can be discussed as such.
>>
>>378636983
Yes, got it the day it came out. Even at the time I realized it was a poor Metroid game, but thankfully Fusion saw a close release and I got my Metroid fix there.
>>
>>378636983

Played on release and even back then it was obvious the designs went downhill.
>>
>>378636983
Let me add though >>378637213 that I do believe the Primes were stunning and amazing games. Just didn't like them as Metroid games.
>>
>>378636669
>Backtracking
>exploration
>theme
>samus suit and abilities
>boss battles

It's has all a good Metroid game needs, perspective autists are just nostalgia faggots.
>>
>>378637302
Going by that list (besides Samus suit and abilities), then Wind Waker and pretty much every other Zelda is also a great Metroid game.
>>
File: 1840.jpg (15KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1840.jpg
15KB, 480x480px
>>378636228
>(which were also horrible Metroid games)
>>
>>378636228
They're one of very few dev teams to have never made a bad game. In fact all the game they've made are great.
>>
>>378637383
Wind waker has the same theme as Metroid games? Holy fuck... I've been playing a different game the whole time.
>>
Retro cocksuckers are obnoxious but on the bright side I get to see them cry whenever Retro decides to work on something that's deemed beneated them.
>>
>>378636669
Mario was the only series that didn't feel like it was compromised when it went to 3D and even that only lasted for one game.
>>
>>378636669
>Items, power ups, and abilities were gone
Maybe you should try playing the game before you blindly shitpost about it
>>
>>378637931
nah. they finally got 3D Mario right with 3D Land and World. very close with the Galaxy games though.
>>
>>378637383
metroid and zelda aways had a lot of similiraties yeah

differences between the two were metroid's more prevalent platforming elements, an oppressive, dark sci fi atmosphere and labyrinthine, interconnected level design

prime has all these things and tww doesn't, but of course you already know that you're just shitposting

or maybe you really are retarded who knows
>>
>>378638272
>What is the Screw Attack
>What is the Speed Booster
>What is the Space Jump

I tell you what they are - missing.

And don't give me that gimped as fuck "Screw Attack" from Echoes that didn't serve the same function as the original in any way.
>>
>>378638325
>metroid and zelda aways had a lot of similiraties yeah
Classic Metroid and Zelda were literally made by rival developers within nintendo
>>
>>378638437
has absolutely nothing to do with what l said, but at least now l have the confirmation you're retarded
>>
>horrible metroid games
you literal retard
people like them because metroid prime is objectively in the top 10 videogames historically and DKCTF is the best platforming game in over a decade
what I don't understand is why people want to condemn them to metroid; nothing is going to top prime and they can obviously deliver spectacular experiences regardless of IP
>>
>>378636228

They have delivered consistent quality in an era where most studios can't do 2 games in a row without disappointing everyone so there's that.
>>
>>378638570
It has everything to do with what you said you fucking moron

The first Metroid games were made by people who always tried to do things differently than how Miyamoto would do them. Being like Zelda is something they went out of their way to avoid.
>>
>>378638941
the two games share basic design sensibilities and l'm sorry you're too fucking stupid to realize it, maybe once you figure out this is video game development we're talking about and not a muh rivalry battle in naruto you'll see it too
>>
>>378639203
These are things that the developers themselves have said.
>>
>>378636228
>sure they did all these great games, but why do people like them?

How fucking hipster can you be? I hate people who like things but still call them overrated.
>I like it too, but I'm still better than you because I don't like it as much
Fuck off.
>>
>>378636228
You mean they made 2 amazing FPS games, 1 mediocre one, and 2 mediocre platforming games.

(because DKCR 1 and 2 pale in comparison to the original DKC trilogy)
>>
>>378639465
Most Nintendo devs and partner devs make games as good as, if not better than Retro. Yet you never see those put on this cocksucking pedestal that they put Retro on. That's the point.
>>
>>378639337
>the two games throw the player in a big open map with no indication where to go
>the world is a singular thing an not organized in levels
>progression is item gated, you unlock new parts of the map through the use of abilities granted by items found after exploring
>you fucking bomb walls to uncover secret passages
>you collect items to permanently increase your life bar
there l spelled it out for you, you can fuck off now
>>
>>378638435
Metroid 1 didn't have space jump, confirmed not real metroid game.
Metroid 2 didn't have speed booster either, also not a real metroid game.
>>
>>378639614
Wow I guess your word suddenly means more than the people who actually made the games.
>>
>>378639559
Honestly the original DKC had mediocre and clunky platforming. They're not good platforming games.
>>
>>378639631
Metroid 2 and Super weren't real metroid games. 2 was linear GB trash and Super was just a remake of 1, same as Zero Mission.
>>
>>378639724
Honestly the new DKC has mediocre platforming and clunk level design. No where near as creative as the originals. All the bonus rooms are the same, the levels all have this shiny, bland unity look. The creativity just isn't there. They're not nearly as good as the originals. Deal with it, kid.
>>
>>378639559
Kek. Tropical Freeze blows any of the original games out of the water. Stop being such a nostalgiafaggot and get some taste.
>>
>>378639836
All Metroid games are linear besides the original and Super.
>>
>>378639569
The reason why is because Retro games are almost always good because they have their own title and are known for good games.
With Nintendo EAD, or whatever the fuck they're called now, you never know. They can make Mario Kart 8, Smash Wii U, Breath of the Wild, Splatoon, etc. or they can make Amiibo Festival or Color Splash.
You're not guaranteed a good game under Nintendo's development company, but you are with Retro, for the most part.
>>
>>378639724
They look nice and the atmosphere of them is outstanding, but you're right, the platforming isn't very tight and the boss fights are trash.
>>
>>378639938
>Amiibo Festival
Nd Cube

>Color Splash
IS

Neither are Nintendo SPD
>>
File: 02 - qZufjOT.png (74KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
02 - qZufjOT.png
74KB, 1024x1024px
>>378636228
>overrated
>when critics bashed Freeze "ooooh it's tooo haaaaard"
>>
>>378636228
They also handled Mario Kart 7
Any genre they work on ends up bretty gud and they usually learn from mistakes, thats why they are regarded highly.

>>378636669
>hurr not every game has every upgrade
Oh no metroid 3 doesnt have the spider ball its shit now wahhh
And the gameplay is about the same tone as super, the first time its just about slowly exploring every nook of an alien land with cool music and powerups to backtrack and reach new areas, so nah I'd say your just a bootyblasted shitter than cant stand a game getting wider attention and trying different genres. Mario should have never gone 3D as well obviously.

Real question is what genre/IP do you think they should try on next? Maybe a new
>>
>>378640131
Being hard is a legitimate criticism.
>>
>>378639876
t.underage poster
>>
>>378639846
Calm down son.
>>
File: 279.jpg (41KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
279.jpg
41KB, 375x375px
>Sure, they made 3 good FPS games and 2 amazing platformers
>They're totally overrated guys
>>
>>378639708
>games are extremely similar in every way progression wise
>b-b-but the devs said they tried to be different

Thats why youre a girl with a gun in sci-fi. The SETTING is the opposite. The games are built the same fucking way.
>>
>>378640245
If critics can't play a game then they need to get another critic who can play a hard game. Certain games NEEDS to be hard. Complaining about difficulty and docking points for it is fucking retarded.
>>
>>378639569
Nintendo's internal teams can make shit that blows Retro's stuff out of the water but they've also been around long enough to make some real stinkers so I guess it balances out.
>>
>>378640301
>no argument
As expected of a nostalgiafag
>>
>>378640625
Like Retro will never make anything as good as Mario 64 or Galaxy but they'll also never make anything as bad as Sunshine.
>>
>>378640503
This.
You wouldnt put a reviewer of romance novels on the fucking halo books. Same goes for movies, many reviewers know they don't like todays bombastic action flick so they dont bother reviewing them since they will never be able to like it.

Why the fuck to game reviewers and the sites that operate them get away with this lazy garbage.

>but muh objective reviewers
Sure they can exist and only talk about stuff like pacing and how it works on a mechanical level but even then things will get subjective to a degree. Does a single one actually stay objective?
>>
>>378640634
t.underage poster
>>
>>378639876
>TF better than 2 or 3
HAHAHAH no.
Its on par with 1 because they are both EXTREMELY bare bones.

the additions of 2 and 3 far exceed the things TF added after returns.
>>
>>378636983
I played it for the first time when it released on WIi U, and I thought it looked amazing even then. The enemy designs show their age, but the environments are still stunning.
>>
>>378640874
>still no argument

>>378640968
the additions of 2 and 3 far exceed the things TF added after returns.
And that is?
>>
>>378640874
Admitting to being underage is a bannable offense, you should delete your post.
>>
>>378641120
>more creative levels
>larger variety of bonus challenges
>added collectables to search for
>animal buddies better than ever
>better bosses
The list goes on.

What did TF add after returns? Different monkeys and secret exits. Its level design didnt improve much but the variety got better after halfway. Also the monkeys make the game far too easy unless its a level that requires the ability to find the secret exit.

I prefer 3 and TF the most because reasons.
2 is only a little above the rest.

Not sure why people think 2 is so amazing but it is easily a better game than TF just from content and mechanics, personal taste aside.
>>
>>378641430
I don't know why Retro is so terrified of creating a new Kong or animal buddy.

DK64 was a long time ago.
>>
>>378636669
Thank God Retro was smarter than you and decided to use new powerups in the Prime trilogy rather than just endlessly recycling the same fucking Super powerups again and again.

I'll never understand this fanbases obsession with Supers inventory being the standard for the series. The game cut abilities from Metroid 2 and Fusion cut abilities and invented its own too, because half the fun of the series is finding new exciting powerups. Imagine being so fucking boring that you cannot accept Samus having a black hole gun instead of the long beam because it's not from a game you grew up with.

Not to mention many powers translate to 3D like garbage. Space Jump and Speed Booster do not work well in the context of open 3D environments, they only control well when limited to two directions and only function correctly in enclosed environments. Other M showed us exactly what happens when you ignore basic design in favor of nostalgia pandering, you get tons of invisible walls preventing you from breaking the game that make the abilities a pain in the ass to use. Same goes for items like the wave beam, because going through walls is confusing in a 3D space where you cannot see beyond those walls.

Stop clinging onto the surface level of what made Super Metroid a good game and actually take a look at the game design behind it.
>>
>>378642317
It's not that the space jump and speed boster are gone.

It's that they're gone and their replacements aren't nearly as interesting.
>>
>>378642672
The Metroid Prime series as a whole is designed less around versatile movement options and more around abilities that lend themselves to room-by-room puzzle solving and combat. It works a lot better for it, given the size of the rooms they need to work with, the load times, and the first person controls putting a ton of restrictions on the games movement options.

If you want to talk about the pacing of the two games there's a discussion to be had. The deliberately slow pace of the Prime titles where you're puzzle solving within in smaller spaces to open the path forward is Primes biggest change from Super Metroid, as that game has you mapping out routes and focuses more on the bigger picture. Overall I tend to think that the Prime games make a bigger impression the first time through but the 2D games hold up better for replays.

But that's not the complaint from the start of the thread, the complaint is about how the game cut some powerups from the previous game and that it's aesthetically different from Super. Which is a really shallow complaint and speaks a lot for how the fanbase has developed a hatred for any form of change over the past few years.
>>
>>378644074
Stop making good posts, it kills the thread.

Matriod is awful and your all fags for playing it.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.