[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space Games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 11

File: main_art_x_rebirth_home_of_light.jpg (216KB, 1600x740px) Image search: [Google]
main_art_x_rebirth_home_of_light.jpg
216KB, 1600x740px
I'm glad I didn't pay for this. This game is still shit even with the updates. What the fuck happened to Egosoft? Not that they were anything special, the flight system of their games are abysmal.

Anyone know of any worthwhile space game came out recently?
>>
File: 1493881412213.jpg (21KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1493881412213.jpg
21KB, 320x320px
I just wish Space Engine had simple game mechanics like mining, trading, etc
>>
>>378633095

Yes, but only with like a billion caveats.
So, good luck I guess.
I mean, if you specifically just mean Space I guess anything goes.
>>
>>378633225
I'm desperate. Rebirth simply has too many flaws.
>>
>>378633095
If you liked a bit of Starpoint Gemini 2, then Warlords managed to fix a lot of the complaints from 2. Just came out of EA. You can even take over parts of the map and build your own fleet to follow you around.
>>
>>378633372
I'm actually playing Warlords too. I don't like how the combat range is limited to knife fights even with the sniper class.

I wish the planned Nexus 2 happened.
>>
>>378633502
The small things like being able to mark a target for your turrets and allies to focus on is a nice thing. 2 was annoying at how you had to be hugging your target in a group fight for Fire At Will to work.
>>
>>378634247
But I'm almost always hugging my target even now. 3-4k max distance for weapons is stupid. I'm hoping the Proxima's cannon would triple that at least.
>>
>>378633095
>What the fuck happened to Egosoft?
Don't know how true this is, but I remember hearing people finding stuff in game files alluding to Xbox 360, and then coming up with a theory that X: Rebirth was originally supposed to be a completely unrelated space sim aimed at more casual audiences, but got scrapped and later turned into full-fledged X-game.
>>
>>378634831
They at least seem to be getting on track. Put some support lately for the X3 games and I believe X4 is going to be more akin to the older ones judging by feedback.
>>
File: 505380981.jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
505380981.jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
Still the best space game that's actually been released
>>
>>378634831

They did say that an actual X4 is in the works. One can only hope that they don't fuck it up.
>>
>>378636468
o7
>>
>>378636468
Is it really? I want to bite the bullet and truck in space but I heard the devs are extra jewish.
>>
>>378637778

It's hot goddamned garbage, fuck that clown and his opinion.

Boring shit.
>>
>>378638545
Yeah, reading the steam reviews currently. This game isn't my cup of tea. Maybe at $5 and with all the planned expansion packs.
>>
>>378637778
You heard goddamn right. Don't get fooled, this is a full priced game with a full priced expansion pack that has very little content other than grind, and literally THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS WORTH of DLC.

Not a joke, if you wanted an alternate skin for every ship in the game, it would cost you over $200. There is not a single cosmetic option that isn't locked behind a paywall, up to and including putting your ship's name on it's hull.
>>
>>378638545
>It's hot goddamned garbage

Yet it's the best garbage we got so far. Being a space sim fan ain't easy every day.
>>
File: SpaceSims.jpg (32KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
SpaceSims.jpg
32KB, 640x480px
>>378634831
Yes, the most likely scenario is that they went digging for that sweet xbawx gold -on a console generation about to be phased out, no less-, then got told no by Microsoft because whatever they made was too much of a pile of broken shit, scooped up the remains of their failure and crapped out X Rebirth.

>>378636661
So I'm told. They can wake me when they have a finished product with several reviews confirming it's the evolution from X3 TC/AP they should have worked on from the start.

>>378636468
In terms of "that feeling of actually being in space and shit", it's essentially the best ever made.
However, the actual game underneath, aside from the pure combat which is good, is a mobile-games tier pile of grindtastic repetition, pointless busywork and unnecessary RNG.
But hey, at least you can pay €€€ to make your lazor beamz pink! Isn't that nice.
>>
>>378636468
Try the Rougelike sibling, Everspace. Hard mode's pretty much a NG+ and you will need a bit of grinding if you don't want your runs to be too luck dependent.
>>
File: Ebw0XDE.webm (3MB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
Ebw0XDE.webm
3MB, 720x404px
>>378640851
Forgot webm
>>
>>378640004
Friends don't let friends become space sim fans. Unless they enjoy watching someone else's spirit break over time. Or just want to pass on the misery.
>>
>>378633095
Go back to older titles
>>
>>378640851
I like this game but the moment any of your subsystems get destroyed it just becomes tedious, especially sensors. Your run is basically dead.
>>
File: 1495481824908.jpg (31KB, 509x625px) Image search: [Google]
1495481824908.jpg
31KB, 509x625px
All I want is X3 with actual physics and flight model
>>
>>378640936
I don't understand. Are you fighting a sentient black hole?
>>
File: image.jpg (96KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
96KB, 460x215px
>>
File: playtime.png (121KB, 556x232px) Image search: [Google]
playtime.png
121KB, 556x232px
>>378637778
It's not really. There's lots of grinding meaningless missions. The main draw is exploration, but you have to do a good dozen hours of grinding before you get good parts so you can actually reach different star systems.
>>
>>378633095
Everspace
>>
>>378641476
You have to play conservatively for the first 3 sectors, your subsystems are more important than your consumables but once you past that mark, it will rain nanobots and materials to easily repair them.

>>378641573
Yup, it's an alien guardian. Usually I snipe them once I learn they explode into blackholes.
>>
>>378641476
Carry nanokits. Nanobots are easier to farm in 1.0 than before - I usually haul 20 at all times.
>>
>>378637778

Just get the base game, its a solid experience and you can explore the same galaxy as everyonne else.

You can keep to yourself and slowly build your wealth, trading being a courier or doing bounties on crimnal scum

The expansion that allows planetary landing and making a avatar is nice, but its optional.

The "THousands of dollars of dlc" is just cosmetics. Fine if you like spending on that stuff but it doesn't give any ingame benefits.
>>
>>378642354
I'll pick it up once it's on sale. X games have horrendous combat because of their flight system.
>>
File: bullied.webm (2MB, 1728x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bullied.webm
2MB, 1728x1080px
>>378633095
everspace just came out of early access, and that's pretty good

also been playing a lot of starsector, but its in the equivalent of early access and it won't be finished any time soon
>>
>>378643034
>we'll never have an X game with E:D flight / combat
why even live?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (19KB, 380x158px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
19KB, 380x158px
>>378634661
Weapon range scales with shit size. In my halberd dreadnaught, my range is 5500k. And I'm not even using a range oriented weapon.

>>378633372
>>378633502
Honestly, I've been playing on extreme difficulty for some time now and Warlords is kind of shit. Here is why in greentext form:
>There game's biggest weakness. AI is completely retarded. They AI can't play to ship strengths at all and literally can't do anything more complicated than flying directly toward their target while shooting. Warlords are exactly the same except they will randomly use abilities as well.
>Balance is shit. There is no reason to fly anything but a Dreadnaught and there is no reason to put anything in your fleet but other Dreadnaughts or Cruisers as ever other ship type has no role. And even among Dreadnaughts, there is no reason to fly anything but a Halberd or a Formidable as they are MUCH better than the rest
>MAXIMUM OVERGRINDING. Hope you didn't plan on finishing that campaign anytime soon, as you'll need over 500,000 of each resource to finish it
>Lack of information. I don't know what is up with the devs, but they have a major hard on for not explaining anything in the game. There are many hidden differences and stats between weapons and ships that isn't shown or stated anywhere in game. Did you know that a Harbinger II missile launcher does 235% extra damage against shields while a Harbinger III only does 150%? So a Harbinger II has higher shield dps despite having lower overall dps? Of course you didn't.
>Lack of tactics
There are no fleet tactics or commands beyond choosing a formation or opting to retreat if you're in a fleet fighter or station battle. There is very little strategy to the game period as the AI is so dumb and incapable. They don't rotate shields, or retreat when they're damaged, or prioritize targets, or anything usefull. Shit, they don't even attack from their strongest side when using ships with uneven turret distribution
>>
>>378643450
Starsector is my space gamefu

>>378643450
Post the hammer one
>>
>>378633095
They were trying to expand their player base by going casual/console mode, it backfired HARD, fans hated the new awful game, the supposed new players never came because the game was a fucking mess at launch, and still is, because the core game is flawed.

At least it seems that they are going back to the X3 ways with 4, learned from their failures I guess. To be honest they could just upgrade the engine and remake/rework some stuff in X3 and it would do better than Rebirth for a fraction of the work or costs.

Also Space games are getting meme'd on because of Star Citizen, it seems anything that is in space right now is either that or NMS "clones". The funny thing is that none of those two are even real games.

I would recommend Endless Space 2 (4x), Starsector (roguelite/eternal early acess), Everspace (roguelite), Litcube/Mayhem modded X3
>>
Everspace tickled my space spot I recommend it
>>
>>378644283
>Post the hammer one
don't have it, sorry
>>378645206
any idea when X4 is due to be out?
>>
>>378645819
No clue. I just know its in the works and that they would "reveal cool things in 2017" according to the devs, so maybe we can get a release date then.
>>
>>378646196
I hope the flight model / combat is actually good this time
>>
Are there any games out on the market that are essentially a 3d version of the Escape Velocity games?

I've tried getting into X3: Terran Conflict, but it seems pretty overwhelming to get started in.
>>
>>378646443
My biggest gripe with X3 was the lack of actual reason for building an empire and its shitty sandbox. Completely non-existent endgame.
>do missions / piracy / trade etc. to buy or capture better ships
>repeat to get even bigger and better ships and bigger factory chains to fit ships with weapons, shields and missiles
>get to M2 class ships
>nothing to use them on due to no sector capture mechanics, no reason to wage war against any friendly factions, both them and the always hostile Xenon etc. spawn endlessly, money is practically meaningless since you already have the biggest ships
Same with carriers and fleet commanding in general. Small ships were a massive money drain due to how quickly they would get destroyed, and it'd take ages to buy / build and retrofit new ones. Basically just extremely expensive fireworks.

There were also balance issues with missions giving you massive easy rewards as long as you had leveled up fight / trade rank, and unlike something such as M&B where missions get offered based on world events the ones in X3 are completely random without heeding to any sort of cause and effect, f.ex. spawning new enemies out of thin air and winning or failing the mission also doesn't have any effect on the world apart from personal +/- reputation modifier.
>>
File: 1382398740713.jpg (121KB, 662x807px) Image search: [Google]
1382398740713.jpg
121KB, 662x807px
>>378646893
>that are essentially a 3d version of the Escape Velocity games?
No
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.