[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>no interesting characters >stupid story and writing >horrible

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 4

File: SMT_Nocturne.png (172KB, 256x360px) Image search: [Google]
SMT_Nocturne.png
172KB, 256x360px
>no interesting characters
>stupid story and writing
>horrible graphics
>bland MC, even for SMT

>decent battle system
>enemies can talk/not lifeless fodder
>enemy design pretty good

About two and a half hours into the game and this is my impression of the game. It takes all my willpower to keep playing.
Tell me /v/, why should I even keep playing it?
>>
The early game is a fucking awfull slog and youl reach a wall, but from there on, holy shit its great.

Do a Wurld of Str build, up to 30 and go to town, later on youl learn great phys abilities and charging and then going a freikugel/akasha lategame just feels so good.
>>
>>378631580
Well yeah - you're playing SMT, the characters and story take a backseat. Play Persona or DDS if you want those to be more of a focus.

Nocturne is great because it has a fantastic atmosphere that really fits the game. Though if you're not enjoying the battle system all that much there isn't going to be a lot for you.
>>
I actually like how the game looks. It's pretty simplistic but effective at establishing the atmosphere it's going for.
>>
>>378631580
Say what you want about the game, but
>horrible graphics
nigga are you expecting HD?I t's a ps2 game, and everything to present the world and atmosphere is done masterfully. Graphics are nice, but they only hurt if it limits gameplay possibilities or envisioned art direction.
>>
>>378631871
>Well yeah - you're playing SMT, the characters and story take a backseat
This just applies to Nocturne. It isn't a good game to judge the entire series on because it's pretty different, for better or worse.
>>
I had podcasts and shit on my other monitor while playing it. SMT is the only JRPG series I can stand playing anymore simply because it's pure gameplay.
>>
>>378632298
The same applies to SMT I and IV.
>>
>>378631580
>>About two and a half hours
>plays 2% of the game
>time to write a review :)
>>
>>378631871
>>378631874
I agree, the atmosphere is fantastic. Everything is depressing and bleak. Very fitting for the end of the world.
>>378632021
Maybe I should phrase it differently, my eyes hurt when I play this game. There is just something that is bugging me. I am not talking about design, since SMT is known for great design, both character and world. Also, I know that I can't expect HD from a PS2 game, but there's still something off.
>>
I prefer games like this and dark souls
>>
>>378632640
To be fair 2.5 hours in would be atleast a third of a game nowadays.
>>
>>378632567
It doesn't apply to IV though.
>>
>>378632640
It's not a review, just my first impression. I want to give the game a fair chance. That's why I asked you, anon.
>>
>>378632737
>nowadays
this game is 14 years old
>>
>>378631580
Just stick with it OP
It does suck at first, you really gotta stick with it. Use savestates too if you got them on an emulator, this shit is super unfair at points.

It's amazing though.
>>
>>378631580
You shouldn't.
/v/ likes it because it's a power fantasy for lonely virgin losers.
>>
>>378632779
Yeah it does, SMT IV is about as involved in terms of story as I is. Really with IV and Apocalypse they sort of mimicked the dynamic I and II had.
>>
>early game sucks
>matador
>thor
>dante
>>
>>378632406
>SMT is the only JRPG series I can stand playing anymore simply because it's pure gameplay.
Compared to what?
>>
>>378632890
>power fantasy
>>>/tumbler/
>>
>>378633004
>>378632840
I heard that it was one of the most difficult turnbased JRPGs, that's why I wanted to play it. Back in the day I grabbed a copy of Demon's Souls without knowing what was waiting for me. While I personally don't quite like the Souls-Gameplay, I appreciated the difficulty and managed to finish it. That was my main motivation in playing Nocturne.
>>
>>378633174
go back to re-ddit you massive faggot
suck a dick
>>
>>378633424
ow the edge
>>
>>378633343
>I heard that it was one of the most difficult turnbased JRPGs
Yeah, probably from /v/'s SMTfags. There isn't even anything to punish you from grinding as well.
>>
>>378633343
Nocturne is only difficult because if MC dies its game over and if you don't learn how to play the game from the matador fight then it's hard.

DDS was harder for me since i was forced to have shitty team members and hama and mudo skills work 9/10 times in that game
>>
>>378631580
>no interesting characters
Agree

>stupid story and writing
I wouldn't call it stupid,just minimalist

>horrible graphics
it's a 2003 game,you retard

>bland MC, even for SMT
Disagree,it's the same shit as others megaten I've played

I'm 38 hours in at Amala Temple and I'm liking it
>>
>>378631580
>bland MC
>what is self-insert
>>
>>378633343
>most difficult turnbased JRPGs
I think you got memed on
>It's the Demon's/Dark Souls of x
The game isn't that hard, outside of the random hard-as-fuck Matador battle earlygame. I still think it's pretty fun playing it like a Demon version of Pokemon.
>>
>2 1/2 hours
>In a 60-90 hour game
>says anything about the characters
Also fyi, this smt focuses on loneliness, so they keep human interactions to a minimum, I mean fuck, depending on your choices, the game can end with no humans left.
>>
>>378632737
Every game I've played this year has been 50+ hours.

It's not 2013 anymore.
>>
File: IMG_3228.png (348KB, 400x572px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3228.png
348KB, 400x572px
>>378631580
It's fun, the main character punches demons to death, and it's the only RPG I've played where buffs and debuffs are useful.

I don't even remember the story, but I had fun grinding and killing demons. I didn't have fun getting true end in the kalpas though, that shit would've been impossible without a guide.
>>
>>378631580
>bland MC
The MC is supposed be bland, he's literally (you)
>>
>>378633989
>random hard-as-fuck Matador battle

That's the battle that teaches you buffs are important in this game.
>>
File: 1493117470594.png (142KB, 293x341px) Image search: [Google]
1493117470594.png
142KB, 293x341px
The only people who meme Matador are the ones who never made it to white rider
>>
>>378633987
>>378634169
He's just a shirtless boy that glows in the dark. Looks pretty bland to me.
But I get what you're saying. From what I've read so far, the game is very minimalistic in it's storytelling, so naturally a "insert personality here" MC is a very good design choice.
>>
>>378633989
>>378634262
Guess I fell for the meme then
>>
>>378631580
>horrible graphics
literally better than IV
>>
>>378634373
I don't remember struggling with any Rider, but I remember getting fucking pissed when one of them
>BLOCKS YOUR PATH
to the save room in the Manikin village.
>>
>>378634753
>PS2 vs 3DS
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.