[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the Silent Hill series the definition of Style over Substance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: IMG_8025.jpg (28KB, 256x320px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8025.jpg
28KB, 256x320px
Is the Silent Hill series the definition of Style over Substance?
>>
no, metal gear is
>>
I mean, the style is the selling point. Nobody claimed it was a gameplay masterpiece
>>
File: sh3_guidebook_konami.jpg (79KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
sh3_guidebook_konami.jpg
79KB, 500x706px
>>378617667
How the fuck does Japan end up having the weakest cover art?
>>
>>378617667
SH3 is.
SH2 is style and substance in perfect harmony. To be honest, if I played it again, I probably wouldn't be as moved as I was then when I first played it.

I deeply miss games that had style and substance and gameplay in equal amounts and tried hard to create something for the player to lose themselves in.

>>378617728
This. To be honest, the only substance in metal gear came from the english translators and writers. It was referred to as a herculean task.
>>
>>378617886
Jeremy Blaustein is the only person to actually put any effort into the translation, and he was canned because he changed too much context for the script.

The only other notable translator the series has was Agness Kaku on MGS2, and she's not well regarded or credible in the slightest.
>>
>>378618049
Completely unrestrained kojima on MGS5 wuz here.
>>
>>378618447
I'm not going to argue there. I'm just saying only one translator can be credited with bringing anything remotely meaningful to MGS.
>>
File: received_10153990856456650.png (24KB, 686x189px) Image search: [Google]
received_10153990856456650.png
24KB, 686x189px
>>
>>378617667
isnt 2 the best
>>
>he said as he posted the SH filled to the brim with both
The death hall in ng+ spooked my ass off, especially since I found the mirror room in my previous run.
>>
File: James.jpg (744KB, 952x1330px) Image search: [Google]
James.jpg
744KB, 952x1330px
>>378620101
It's so hard to choose
2 and 3 both are both fantastic in different ways
>>
New to the series. Is it recommended to play these in order? Do I need to play through SH1?
>>
>>378617667
SH1-4, absolutely not.
They're actually so deep that people are still discussing about various theories.
>>
>>378620101
>>378620584
You are both wrong. SH1 is THE best Silent Hill game, ever.

>>378620949
Yes, release order is must. SH1 is a literal corner stone of the whole series, and a brilliant introduction to the saga. Play them all multiple times too.

Here's the SH PC Guide + the DL links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.
>>
>>378621328
Alright this gave me the motivation to finally get on with 4.
>>
>>378621328
Wow, thanks man. I googled the chart but wasn't sure it was the newest version. This helps a ton.
>>
Even 4 had that very dreary comfy style SH should be about.

1-4 will always be my favorite style/atmosphere games of all time.
>>
File: sh4 widescreen PC 1080.jpg (609KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sh4 widescreen PC 1080.jpg
609KB, 1920x1080px
>>378622151
Attaboy.
4 is different, but I can't call it a bad. It might've been the weakest in many ways back in the days, but even that argument is null now with the westerners and Konami raping the IP in an all new level.

>>378622216
np bruh. If you see a horror or SH thread, just ask around and someone'll post the latest guide.
>>
>>378621328
>downloaded SH3
>applied the fix all as in the instruction
>it doesn't boot up, stuck in black screen forever

feels bad
>>
>>378622608
Have you tried launching the vanilla game first? Start with that.
Next, try applying the oldschool widescreen tweak :

-Go to your SH3's folder -> savedata -> open up disp.ini in a text editor.

-Look up this line and set it to match your screen:
size=1920x1200

-There's also this one, which determines your 3D rendering resolution:
resolution=2048x2048

It needs to be a multiples of 512, so if you play at 720p, you may wanna set it to 1024x512, and so on. Higher value = SSAA effect.
If you're using the new Widescreen fix, which did work for me just fine, check its settings so you're not trying to run the game at some incompatible resolution.

-Finally, look up the old SH3 Fov Tool, throw it in SH3 folder and start it up. Tweak the values a bit (I recall I had like 1.2 X and 0.9 Y), and LEAVE IT RUNNING in the background. Now start your game, go all the way to actual gameplay, and press the * -key on your numpad to ACTIVATE the Fov fix. If it still looks stretched, ALT+TAB out of the game, tweak Fov Tool's numbers, try again.
>>
>>378623092
derp, screwed a bit with copypasting.

Obviously you use the Fov Tool only with the oldschool widescreen hack, NOT at all with the new Widescreen Fix. It does its own things automatically.
>>
>>378617667
No. Especially the original quadrilogy has tons of substance WITH killer style.
>>
>>378617667
Yes
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.