[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Decided to replay and damn, this game is still great even now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 11

File: HordesOfTheUnderdarkBox.jpg (37KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
HordesOfTheUnderdarkBox.jpg
37KB, 356x500px
Decided to replay and damn, this game is still great even now
>>
I replayed it a few months ago. Had so much fun and it reminded me of playing NWN online back in the day.

I installed the client extension so I'd be able to see the server lists and I've found the old server I used to play on 12 years ago. Goddamn I feel old.
>>
>saying good things about a game you like
your thread is gonna die soon mate, im sorry
>>
File: 250px-Nwn2motbboxart[1].jpg (23KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Nwn2motbboxart[1].jpg
23KB, 250x354px
Which NWN game/expansion had the best campaign other than MotB? We all know MotB is the godking, Planescape reborn.
>>
>>378609236
1. MotB
2. HotU
3. SoU
POWER GAP
50. NWN 2 OC
51. NWN 1 OC

???. SoZ (probably 6th, but it's so different)
>>
>>378609236
Is it a joke?
MotB was trash, and wasted potential for the god tier setting
Shame obsidian is incnabaple of making anything that isn't generic medieval setting
Compare how bioware masterfully wrote undermount city and villages culture and how obsidian made Rashemen and Thai feel like just another city on the sword coasts, but this time with spirits!
Lack of dialogue options, like you can kill bitch for wanting her blood but cant kill her for wanting to destroy fucking wall and other shit of your patron god, despite having 3 options to lick her cunny in the same dialogue
>>378609540
>NWN2OC>NWNOC
Just fuck off
>>
>>378609540
Is SoU really that good? Maybe I should give it another go.

Also, you can still play online without installing anything. You'll just have to put up with the login freezing for 30 seconds before finally giving up. Here's where you can find the list of server IPs:
http://www.nwnlist.com/
>>
>>378610728
it probably deserved a power gap below HotU. it's very linear and pretty short, the story is kind of rambling and doesn't gain a clear focus until close to the end, but it had some locations and characters I really liked and generally felt like less of a slog than either of the two OCs
>>
>>378610959
To be fair, I went back and played both campaigns recently and enjoyed them, so I'd probably enjoy SoU too.

NWN was kind of generic, but it had enough neat sidequests to keep me wanting to play. The story was a bit weird, but it was enough to keep me interested.

NWN2 was better overall I thought; it's just that it took a while to get used to the new camera, controls, etc. I felt like the characters were much better written, and the party member sidequests felt like they had actual weight to them, whereas in NWN they were just another "thing" to do.

Both campaigns had a great "court" scene.
>>
>>378607301
Too bad that Chapter 1 is fucking boring after the 500th time through it and that it suffers from being on the NWN1 engine.
>>
>>378611842
so much this
the 2nd time through, even. as much as I usually find underdark-type stuff dull, I'd much rather have had more time dicking around with drow politics or something than solving shitty little "puzzles" that all involved wading through dozens of weak enemies
the rebel camp had a neat feel to it, partly due to the music and the very different-feeling tileset, but it felt underused to me
>>
>>378611842
Come here! I need to speak with you!
>>
File: aa_dev20.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
aa_dev20.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Has anybody here tried the premium modules that came with the Diamond Edition?
Don't play Witch's Wake. It sets itself up as this incredibly complex and abstract story, only to end mid-sentence after two hours.
>>
File: jashot10.jpg (370KB, 1358x742px) Image search: [Google]
jashot10.jpg
370KB, 1358x742px
>>378611512
It's hard for me to go back to NWN1's original campaign after knowing Bioware's original plot was much better.
[SPOILER]You were supposed to spend an entire chapter waging a guerilla war against the yuan-ti after the take over Neverwinter. Then you get phased out of existence at the end, but use the Source Stone to build a new world for you to live in.
>>
>>378613954
That... actually sounds incredible, if a bit overambitious. That probably would have been difficult to implement using the toolset.
>>
File: aa_dev11.jpg (351KB, 1839x1034px) Image search: [Google]
aa_dev11.jpg
351KB, 1839x1034px
>>378614280
I dunno, the toolset is pretty powerful (if a pain in the ass on modern hardware).
I think the part about creating your own world was meant to directly transition you into using the toolset. Would have been awesome because I've never seen a game integrate modding into its story.
>>
>>378614630
The main issues I run into using the toolset have to do with automation. If I want to add a specific script to all areas, for example, it's really irritating.

Also, when making an area, there should just me some right-click drop-down where you can pick which specific tile you want, instead of constantly erasing the tile until it randomly comes up with the one you want.
>>
>>378607301
this is probably nerdy :)
>>
>>378610002
>MotB was trash

goddamn, you're a pleb
>>
File: Modern NWN2.webm (2MB, 1000x440px) Image search: [Google]
Modern NWN2.webm
2MB, 1000x440px
>>378615502
Also when you want to spawn a bunch of entities in a script but need to quit the script editor to go find the ResRefs in the blueprint list.

I don't know how the frig so many people managed to make working MMOs with this thing.
>>
>>378616681
UGH yes. I hate the modal-ness of much of the toolset, including the script editor. If it's going to be modal, add some sort of lookup feature. I keep a tab in Notepad++ just for saving resrefs and tags for scripts.
>>
>>378616681
>>378614630
>>378613954
>>378613624
These are pretty interesting. Are there any major servers that use these sorts of resources, or these all single-player modules?
>>
>>378607301
Def nerdy
>>
>>378614630
Better than NWN2's. There are still some modules that blow my FPS right the fuck up on relatively modern hardware.
>>
>>378617506
NWN was never really well-optimized, and NWN2 had the same problem. When I built a new PC in 2007, I tried Oblivion and NWN2 on it. With Oblivion, I could use max settings at 1080p and maintain more than 60 FPS. With NWN2, I got about 15 FPS in the first area with "high" settings, and it looked like absolute shit in comparison.
>>
File: aa_dev4.jpg (899KB, 1839x1034px) Image search: [Google]
aa_dev4.jpg
899KB, 1839x1034px
>>378617263
These are all single-player. I've heard of a few multiplayer servers in development that use the same modern content, but they either never saw release or were only alive for a short time.
Could be wrong though. I think I've played NWN multiplayer for a total of 15 minutes.
>>
>>378617506
Part of the reason CDPR abandoned the Aurora Engine for Witcher 2 was because of the godawful shit they had to deal with running Witcher 1 on it. It's just a shit engine all around.
>>
>>378607301
Really wish you could actually team up with the Valsharess in the campaign. Something about powerful, seductive, evil women gets me going.
>>
File: ja_in_concept5.jpg (1MB, 1476x868px) Image search: [Google]
ja_in_concept5.jpg
1MB, 1476x868px
Kind of off-topic, but I just recently got around to trying "A Dance With Rogues". It's a great adventure for thief characters, but nobody warned me that it was meant to be more erotica than an RPG. Shit, I've never put so much effort into avoiding literal rape in an RPG.
>>
>>378619249

Did no one mention that when they recommended it? Or did you just stumble onto it?
>>
File: KeanuReevesAtARenFair.jpg (746KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KeanuReevesAtARenFair.jpg
746KB, 1920x1080px
>>378619361
It was near the top of every "highest-rated mods" list on different NWN mod sites so I thought I'd finally see what the fuss was all about. Wound up restarting three times because I thought getting raped in the first five minutes of the game was a bad thing.
>>
>>378619574

I can see how that might put you off. I sought it out knowing vaguely what would happen. It's pretty good, but I feel like NWN doesn't do stealth very well, and there's a lot of annoying behavior that the AI does that makes it more difficult than it should be.
>>
>>378607301
Real-time with pause was a mistake and I never want to complete any game that has it besides KOTOR.
>>
File: ce_preview2.jpg (1MB, 1762x1008px) Image search: [Google]
ce_preview2.jpg
1MB, 1762x1008px
>>378619908
Wasn't the worst content I've run into. I once partnered with a guy who was putting a pretty ambitious mod together. I was creating AI and spawn systems, and then I saw him promising people the mod would have dynamic rape mechanics with different STDs, pregnancy and a prostitution sub-campaign. Sure enough, the first time I play-tested it myself I barely got a word in before I got raped in a sewer.

Guy had at least three other people attached to the project, including a hardcore feminist.
>>
>>378620704

Sounds genuinely awful.
>>
>>378607301
I really think it had the best combat system for any D&D based/like RPG ever. Sure Infinitiy was more fun but it was also unbalanced and outdated.
>>
>>378622928
You want to complain about a system being imbalanced while talking up *3E*? Are you serious?
>>
>>378617816
NWN1 could at least run acceptably on contemporary hardware and didn't go to total shit if you used the right settings on modern hardward.

NWN2... couldn't and it STILL runs face first into performance issues for no goddamn reason.
>>
File: ja_pr131.jpg (1MB, 1791x1007px) Image search: [Google]
ja_pr131.jpg
1MB, 1791x1007px
>>378625026
Because Obsidian is/was made of brilliant writers paired with dumbass programmers.
>>
>>378625286
>is/was made of brilliant writer
my sides
>>
>>378624042

I had been tempted to bring up the same thing, but... I get enough of that on /tg/. Let him have this. It's not really worth it, and in the context of NWN where most of 3e's broken ass spells are either nonexistent or heavily restricted due to engine limitations, it means that martial classes are less screwed by default.

Not going to say it's good, but it's at least better balanced than PnP.

>>378625026

It's partially for this reason that NWN 1 is still on my hard drive and I still play it, while NWN 2 is not. I don't restart my computer very often, so the timing bug eventually becomes an issue (yes, I know there's a third party fix - but NWN 2 isn't worth the effort).
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.