[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /v/ think ecelebs help sell games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: compressed-prvf.jpg (311KB, 1402x3378px) Image search: [Google]
compressed-prvf.jpg
311KB, 1402x3378px
Why does /v/ think ecelebs help sell games?
>>
File: chrome_2017-05-30_18-00-08.jpg (177KB, 696x1881px) Image search: [Google]
chrome_2017-05-30_18-00-08.jpg
177KB, 696x1881px
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/gI3rMB2HS2cX2KHND9Bzow/
>>
they do, im a dev and my sales spike when theres a popular video made
you are literally retarded if you think
more exposure = less sales
>>
>>378591205

How many would those who as fuck games sold without that exposure?

I'm guessing less than they did.
>>
>>378591205
not sure if they do but that pic is so cherrypicked it does nothing to prove its point
>>
>>378591205
I'm pretty sure PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds wouldn't be such a fad right now if it weren't Twitch. Tens of thousands of people are tuning in to watch people play it. It's fantastic advertising.
>>
>>378591370
Do people who constantly post the same shit word for word pretty much every day have some kind of mental condition? I don't mean "le autism XD", I'm serious.
>>
>>378591205
This thread doesn't make sense OP. You're aware all marketing means is "something that promotes sales"? You would have to have two separate versions of that exact game with and without ecelebs talking about it to have a real case.
>>
>>378591205
>One single example
>PROOF

Anecdotal evidence is evidence from anecdotes, i.e., evidence collected in a casual or informal manner and relying heavily or entirely on personal testimony.
>>
>>378591205
I think they probably sell gameplay based games, but games with no gameplay will suffer. That battlegrounds game is a good example. No one would buy Until Dawn after watching a playthrough though. You've seen all it has to offer.
>>
>>378591582
oh yeah well im a dev and my sales dont change when a popular video gets made

so by your logic meme exposure =/= sales
>>
Why would you buy a horror game if you watched a video of it? You're seeing all the content it has to offer and it's generally not going to evolve much beyond what you see. It's like saying 'telltale games don't get boosted sales from let's plays' because obviously people are just there to basically experience the game without paying for it.

Try this comparison with a game that actually has shit going on and isn't just a boo haunted house jumpscare fest
>>
>>378591205
depends on the game, i think
if it's a game that just has visual value and story people will be satisfied just by watching it, but if has something that can only be truly experienced if the player is in control it will probably help.
>>
OP doesn't understand basic economics.
>>
This would have been a decent argument had you not compared its sales to another game.
>>
Allow me to expand upon OP's question:
Should something be done about this?
It's pretty clear LPers are blatantly breaking the law (no, fair use does not mean you can show the entire product with "commentary" over it.) You can't do that with movies and songs, so why is it okay with video games?
>>
Well, some companies do support LPers if they can either get a share of the profits, (Nintendo, Sega). But I do see your point. I had this one friend who barely played any games, but only watched the playthroughs. So things like that can decrease sales.
>>
>>378592278
I've always wondered the same
>>
File: donotdumb.jpg (56KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
donotdumb.jpg
56KB, 960x720px
>>378591205
>>
>>378594157
How do not dumb?
I'm confused
>>
>>378591205
>why do you think increased awareness sells games?
imagine spending the time to make that image
>>
>>378591205
>Minecraft wasn't made popular by seanners and yogscast playing it first and getting people into it
>pewdiepie didn't get EA to make more copies of skate 3 by sheer demand
>stanley parable devs didn't thank let's players for their sales

Let's plays help games that aren't really story oriented. As people would just enjoy the story and be satisfied. Some games can benefit if they are somewhat interesting or unique like Stanely parable but games like that dragon cancer didn't make profits as the player got everything from the let's play. Despite people enjoying it.

It can help.
>>
>>378593682
gameplay is its own performance and thus it is a transformative work
if you disagree feel free to sue
look forward to seeing pewdiepie fans give your kids ptsd
>>
>>378591667
this
>>
>>378592519
then your game must be really bad
>>
>>378594376
>>Minecraft wasn't made popular by seanners and yogscast playing it first and getting people into it

It was made popular by /v/ you dumbass youngfag.
>>
>>378595018
You're delusion,
I won't deny's /v/'s influence, however do you think /v/ got it to spread as it did especially to normies? 4chan 'helps' makes things popular but its normally through another medium they become absolute sensations.
Minecraft dominated the youtube homepage, there were 5 videos on the homepage before youtube changed their alogrithms. That was more than anything at the time.
It was pretty much through the alpha and beta footage and let's plays that kids fell for it.
Seannaers and Yogscast's fans were kids and the same kids who play it now. It's safe to say youtube helped make it a phenominon through people who kids liked, playing it.
>>
>>378591205
One is a shitty horror walking simulator and the other is an adventure RPG you stupid nigger.

Without E-celeb shilling instead of 24k sales it would have fucking none, just like the hundreds of other trash walking simulators that somehow make it through the abyss of garbage that is steam greenlight
>>
>>378591205
The game would had sold even worse if it wasn't for the Let's Players. The better the game looks the more it sells.
>>
>>378594219
READ SIGN
>>378594157
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.