[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Virtual Reality/VR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 9

File: VR.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
VR.png
2MB, 1600x900px
It's been awhile now, /v/. Many different types of VR products are out. But with all my time spent on here, the only time VR is discussed is when there is a thread about it. You don't see VR discussions involved in nearly all new video game releases and the games that do focus on VR tend to be expensive and shittier than Wii tier shovelware (and no one talks about them because they're not worth it).

What happened?
>>
>>378583231

That's because for the most part VR is shit. It will remain shit until neural brain connections can be made to actually make it feel realistic. Who wants to game with a clunky as shit headset on all the time? Not to mention most games for VR feel like literal unfinished tech demo's.
>>
>>378583231
Don't listen to this retard >>378583507

No one's really bothered with it yet, because there's no games aside from RE7 and it's too expensive. Fix those things and pretty instantly it'll become popular.
>>
>>378584235

>T. Someone who hasn't used VR extensively.
>>
everything is still mostly just fucking shooting galleries
>>
>>378584886
Obviously, since there's nothing to play. I put in about 30 hours into RE7 and that's it.
>>
File: dolby-surround-sound.jpg (50KB, 670x406px) Image search: [Google]
dolby-surround-sound.jpg
50KB, 670x406px
>>378583231
It's a hassle and a novelty. Same reason why most people don't bother with surround sound setups but wouldn't say no to a movie night at a friend's house. VR gaming is also more expensive to fuel than normal gaming. The developers figure that if someone had enough cash to jump into VR, they are also likely to pay premium for games that would be otherwise be considered tech demos.

I was excited during the early days of Oculus development, but had always planned to wait for at least the second version (with better specs and lower price) before buying one. It's already been a year since both the OR and Vive came out and there's no signs of that happening that I'm aware of.

I don't see this cycle of high price + small catalogue -> low sales -> small install base -> low incentive for studios to support VR breaking as things stand.
>>
>>378585043

RE7 was much better played on the couch with a controller than with VR. VR is a gimmick and wont ever go mainstream in the near future. The tech just isn't there yet.
>>
Do any of you know how Subnautica is in VR mode?
>>
File: 1385958690776.png (429KB, 515x369px) Image search: [Google]
1385958690776.png
429KB, 515x369px
Here's my defense of VR currently.
It's a chicken-and-egg situation with the software right now. Headset adoption rates are still low, even though PSVR has shattered Sony's expectations and pushed well over a million units. It's still expensive - the cheapest solution requires a 5-600$ investment on top of a 300$ console. On top of that, the "rules" of VR game design are still being figured out. People know how to circumvent/get over motion sickness, and analog movement is coming back into games when people were initially terrified to even implement it, but there are restrictions currently that make it a much different playing field than regular gamedev. Porting a 2D/flat game to VR is not as simple as sticking in a camera rig on the character's head - it's a different medium. Plus, people are still put off by the lack of full freedom of movement - room scale isn't world-scale, and teleporting is somewhat awkward for many games. Putting all that together, it's no surprise most big AAA developers haven't jumped onto the VR bandwagon, although Sony's done the best job of the lot in cultivating polished, quality VR software because they actually have the second-party devs to do it.

This isn't to say that VR as a whole has no good software. But there is a software problem. I believe it'll get fixed in the next 3-4 years, as the cost goes down and more developers have an incentive to work with this tech, but right now, it's still easy to percieve it as a gimmick.

Some of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever had have been in VR. Flying around a city with jets strapped to my arms, building a house and exploring caves in Minecraft in full scale, sneaking through a facility and stealth-killing robots, the entirety of H3VR, or participating in a ridiculous psychedelic live rave with particle effects flying everywhere as the skybox bends, shifts and twists - all amazing. It just needs a lower pricetag, and the software/adoption will come.

pic unrelated
>>
>>378585238
I had a very good time with it, played all of the DLC with it as well. But yes, the tech has a ways to go.
>>
>>378585238
What would you consider as the tech being "there" that isn't sci fi memes?

It really can't get a whole lot better if you don't mean higher resoloutions and some more accurate tracking (It's already really fucking accurate aside from PSVR)
>>
>>378585267
Yeah, when I tried they forced me to use a controller.
>>
>>378583231
Hardware was released to the public before a normal dev cycle could be completed.
>>
>>378585454
I'm >>378585361

It needs built in wireless, and inside out tracking / no need for external peripherals. It needs to be lighter weight. Just these things would make a big difference.
>>
>>378585454

Nothing outside of far off "sci fi memes" coming to fruition.. I just cant see the majority of gamers wanting to free up room space and put on a clunky headset to game. It's not comfortable and lacks a viable couch multiplayer aspect because who wants to invest in a second headset for an already niche gaming venue. I'd love for VR to prove me wrong but many people that I've talked to IRL and online that have tried it have had a very lukewarm response similar to mine own.
>>
>>378585774
weight isn't already an issue, at least for me.
It's more the tight fit, and good luck getting rid of that.
Also wireless would add more weight because you need a battery somewhere in it - so they probably will settle for belt boxes.
>>
>>378585313
>PSVR
It was released and completely forgotten so quickly I'm sure all the dumbys who bought into it have a bad taste in their mouth about VR
>>
>>378585536
The oculus rift was kickstarted in 2012 and shipped two different development kits before releasing the consumer version. What would you call a normal dev cycle?
>>
>>378585774
I agree with wireless as long as latency is not increased, Gabe said that this had already been solved in his interview a few months back, not sure about weight though.

But no peripherals? for the games that need it I would rather grab something that feels like a gun rather than pinch thin air like some kind of better kinect, what exactly do you mean?.

>>378585978
The majority of gamers will never adopt VR, all that is needed is a large enough adoption to justfiy making games, couch gaming has been dead for fucking years though.

>>378586023
Because it felt like shit and made me sick, it used the same technology that allows for you to make simple guestures with the controller and PSmove for a fucking HEAD TRACKING DEVICE, how they could fuck up this bad is beyond me.
>>
>>378586202
3 - 5 years.
>>
>>378586021
The tight fit would be less of an issue if it was lighter. If wireless wasn't built in then at least come with the HMD rather than sell it as an addon.

>>378586271
Extra peripherals as in the cameras required to track.
>>
>>378586271

>Just needs large enough adoption to justify making games

That just wont happen unless it sells as well as consoles do
>>
>>378586382
A wired solution has its own set of advantages.
But the trend will go to wireless, if the VR meme continues.
Mind that this are still the early adopter first generation stages.

>>378586327
3-5 years for a normal game, that doesn't need the devs to test out a new technology and find new working gameplay concepts.
>>
>>378586327
Can you count?

>>378586023
Anyone trusting Sony to support their gimmicks deserves getting burned at this point.
>>
>>378585267
Tried it on Vive, wasn't impressed. It's still pretty much in alpha VR-wise. It works, but it's not fun, comfortable, or playable at all. I think the Oculus implementation is a bit better, since I saw one of the devs playing it, but I don't know.
Maybe they've patched it in the six months since I've tried it - if so, disregard my opinion.

>>378584886
I've used VR extensively and he's right. People want VR, they just don't want a 600$ headset that judders and has no games.

>>378585774
>built in wireless
Already happening with addons like TPCast for Vive - if that tech is where it is now, it'll be standard in 2020 or so.
>inside out tracking
Again, already happening. HTC has a standalone solution coming up soon, and so does Google with their Daydream system. Both headsets have full inside-out tracking, and don't need any external bullshit. They're not necessarily PC headsets, from what I understand, they're separate systems, but people are polishing their solutions as we speak.
>lighter weight
Word on the street is the newer Vives Valve is pushing out are lighter already.
PSVR is also pretty light, and ultra-comfy in comparison.
Like I said, in a few years, it'll get big. It's still enthusiasts-only as it stands.

>>378586023
It sold much more than Sony expected it to, and they're still releasing titles for it. I tried Farpoint and it was pretty cool, like the modern equivalent of a light-gun game. To say that it's been "forgotten" is pretty dismissive, I know a guy who owns it IRL and he loves it. It's got the best library of any single headset right now, soley because Sony actually has developers who can make polished games.

>>378586202
Not him, but it's arguable both sets were a little early out of the oven. Rift launched without Touch, and Vive likely pushed their date forward to beat them to the room-scale punch. The Vive feels like a really, really nice developer kit.
>>
>>378586327
>>378586575
3-5 years is normal for a non VR game including pre production.

Introducing VR to a team, designing a game around it and actually fulfilling it is uncharted fucking territory, not that I defending the current VR products, don't buy them until games come out but we have NO idea how long it takes to make a real VR game.
>>
>>378586667
Yes - we can expect the first real titles somewhere around Q2 2018 if there is anoyne making any.
DK1 was shipped in mid 2013 and wasn't really a starting points for devs.
Devkit2 was july 2014 add another year for getting the hang of VR and you get the date i mentioned above.

>>378586825
See above.
>>
>>378586720
>I tried Farpoint and it was pretty cool

If Farpoint wasn't VR it would be considered mediocre at best within a genre that itself is collectively shit. The only thing cool about it is the gimmick.
>>
File: 1477339990284.jpg (88KB, 1556x481px) Image search: [Google]
1477339990284.jpg
88KB, 1556x481px
>>
It's like the wiimote and the kinect all over again. People speculating online about their endless possibilities, "just give the devs time to figure out how to integrate them into the games, it's gonna be great after that", then a bunch of minigames and a handful of decent games come out and eventually everyone starts to lose interest.
>>
File: peer and creep.webm (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
peer and creep.webm
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>378587518
The Problem with PSVR games is that the PSVR itself is very limited due to 1. Its tracking limitations 2. the PS4 hardware.
If you ask me, it was just a cashgrab.

>>378587646
Did you try it?
>>
>>378587646

Right, the only think devs care about is pushing graphical fidelity as high as they can while shitting on framerate so they can post pretty bullshots for ad campaigns. Third party devs don't care about innovation.
>>
>>378587994

*thing
>>
>>378587518
Well, yeah. Obviously if Farpoint was a dual-analog FPS game, it wouldn't be as well-regarded, because it's got over 20 years of "flat" FPS game design to draw from. But it's a different medium, with different design constraints. Of course Farpoint could be better - it could be a lot better. It's not a system seller. It's not gonna go down in history for any particular reason other than being packaged with the Aim controller. But there's nothing else like it on the system right now, and I enjoyed my time with it because it felt like the natural evolution of rail shooters, a genre which died with the CRT, may it rest in peace.

I'm not gonna disagree with you entirely, though. I am seeing a lot of meh games being held up to the spotlight because of their VR integration. It bugs me a lot when I see really simple, short, or blatanly unpolished games wallowing in praise because they don't have any real competition.

The novelty of VR is still very real for most people, and since there's so few AAA experiences, standards are pretty low.
>>
>>378587808
I thought there will be no real titles until 2018, so no one has been able to really try it yet. You are confusing me now, anon.

>>378587994
Tell me all about your ideas to make wiimote/kinect/vr games that truly take advantage of the hardware. It's easy to talk shit about game developers from the sidelines.
>>
>>378588512
So you need a AA+ game to validate the capabilities of the hardware.

I know you just wanna shit on it, but you should actually try it.
Not buy - like I said, no gaems to justify it.
But trying is worth it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (913KB, 3552x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
913KB, 3552x2000px
I play a lot of VR and aside from there not being many games, it is a really fun platform. Shooters are fantastic and the immersion is insane. The only people who say it is not fun or dead are shitposters, people who have not tried it, or obese people. If you are a core gamer, you will own a vr headset within 5 years, that's my opinion on it.
>>
File: 1484985124622.jpg (3MB, 3024x5376px) Image search: [Google]
1484985124622.jpg
3MB, 3024x5376px
Had it since it came out last April or so. Kind of regret it. Not enough content or lasting games.
>>
>>378589072
It could die just because of the reluctancy of people to accept it.
If everybody adopts the mindset that shitting on it is better than trying it, it won't go out of this early adopter stage.
They are making these things for future profit, not for current - if market interest declines they will stop making it.
>>
>>378583231
I have yet to play any good vr stuff
>>
Please stop the "VR sucks XD" meme.

I haven't bought into it yet, but it seems like a really cool technology. I've seen some people try out games in PS VR, some Dolphin adaptation in Vive/Oculus, and some stories about future headsets. It's asinine to say this is the next big tech flop when manufacturers are clearly controlling production and slowly funding new IPs. It's going to be a deliberate and managed expansion, but it's still going to be an expansion. TL;DR - Fuck off naysayers.
>>
File: 00H0H_fkO0ciJXZvf_1200x900.jpg (89KB, 1200x648px) Image search: [Google]
00H0H_fkO0ciJXZvf_1200x900.jpg
89KB, 1200x648px
Picking up this bad boy on CL today. You jelly?
>>
>>378590901
Already have one.
>>
I've got Oculus and PSVR, and from my experience so far:

>Great Tier
Robo Recall
Super Hot
Dreadhalls
Resident Evil 7
Until Dawn Rush of Blood
Arizona Sunshine
Star Wars Battlefront X-Wing
Hulu Movie Theater Mode
Alien Isolation (through Vorpx)

>Pretty Good Tier
Bound
Space Pirate Trainer
Wilson's Heart
Playroom VR
Paranormal Activity
VR Invaders
Farpoint

>Mediocre Tech Demo Tier
Eagle Flight
Batman Arkham VR

As soon as guy gets Hook5 up and running on VR for Klub17, my Oculus purchase will have been justified.
>>
>>378589072
it's expensive, uncomfortable, cumbersome, requires a large amount of space to set up, the resolution is too low for the type of games it excels at (simulation), has few games, and the games it does have are of poor quality or are too short.
>>
>>378590901
>>378589072
>>378587793
>mfw Oculus with the aid of Carmack made the stupidest fucking decisions and completely screwed themselves while Vive took over the VR market

So hilarious. Is Oculus even out? There's no point in releasing it if it isn't, It'll bomb hardcore.
>>
>>378591631
Add Sairento VR to great tier.
It is early access but the dev updates it every week and i haven't seen anything like its movement mechanics in other games.

Serious sam can go into pretty good tier - since its just serious sam.
But only if you can stomach the classic movement scheme.

Also Elite Dangerous goes into spacetrucker tier.
>>
File: re7-candle[1].jpg (55KB, 915x562px) Image search: [Google]
re7-candle[1].jpg
55KB, 915x562px
>>378591631
I can't wait for RE7 vr to come to pc. It's bad enough that Sony had to jew it up to make a multiplat game exclusive to psvr but why the flying fuck does it have to be an entire year?
>>
>>378591631
But how can I watch Avatar 3D from my flash drive on PSVR?
>>
>>378592137
Sairento will probably be my next purchase. The trailers looked kind of neat, but it seemingly being really early access kept me away. I just got Raw Data last night, but I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, so I'm hoping it's decent.
>>
>>378592452
It recently got a big update where they added a shitton like, new levels, new enemies and a sever mechanic.
It's still early access but I had it for months now and like I said they update regulary and communicate well with the people who are in it.
Seen quite a few times that they listened to suggestions and complaints - some were taken care of in one day.

Usually no fan of early access but that's probably how it's done right.

inb4 i praise it and it all goes to shit in a few weeks...
>>
>>378585267
It skips animations like getting in and out of vehicles but that results in a glitch where if your seamoth is docked in your cyclops getting in teleports you to where you docked it into the cyclops instead of where the cyclops is.
There's also warning text popping up just out of sight
>>
VR waifu dating and fucking vidya with onnahole bundle when?
>>
The reason people don't talk about vr much is because all the major headsets are out and there's nothing much left to debate, other then arguing with naysayers. Same with every console, game and whatever, before and after release.

On top of that, threads about VR games are going to drop through the pages like dart because of numbers.
>>
>>378592853
Never! The public's moral committee would sue the ever living FUCK out of whoever tries to pull that shit.
>>
>>378593446
Argueing with people who are just there to shit on it is extremely monotone. After 2 threads you know most of the memes people spew and that 95% of people who spew them never tried it in the first place.
It isn't even annoying or rage inducing, just senseless.
>>
>>378592373
Is there not a way to do that? I could have sworn I recall seeing a discussion on the PSVR subreddit explaining how to do it.
>>
>>378593462
Not fair. I just want a cute girl like Blond-chan in Summer Lesson.
>>
>>378594314
You could just buy a HMD and a rubber pussy and get honey select VR running.
>>
>>378594276
There is no way to do that.LittleStar isn't updating anymore. Was going to add support for it,
not anymore.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.