[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wish we could get a more non-linear/metroidvania'ish Devil

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: Devil-May-Cry.jpg (634KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Devil-May-Cry.jpg
634KB, 1280x720px
I wish we could get a more non-linear/metroidvania'ish Devil May Cry.

DMC1 was pretty straightforward, but it still gave the feeling of exploring a castle. But instead of expanding on this concept later installments just got more and more linear. I would like stuff like optional bosses and branching paths.
>>
if a new DMC gets made its going to be made for people who want to make combo videos on youtube
>>
>>378532321
That's fine, you can have a game that does both.
>>
>>378532321
99% of the people who buy DMC don't care about that stuff.
>>
>>378532152

You will never get it, DMCfags are combo autists and are basically just fightan fags.

I mean look at what they did when God of War game out? God of War was a fantastic game that finally fleshed the ideas in DMC out, and what did they do? Muh square square square. Muh comboes are deep enough. They expected it to have fightan game level deep complex mechanics and ignored the fact that unlike DMC, God of War was now an actual video game instead of a combo simulator.

GoW took DMC, scaled back the combo autism a bit and replaced it with actual good level design. Though I wouldn't say it was metroidvania tier, but having a GoW style game like that would be awesome.

But as someone who thinks level design is a more important aspect of a game than combat mechanics. God of War is a better series than Devil May Cry.
>>
>>378532152
No, not everything needs exploration or non linearity, DMC could stand for more gameplay variety but i'd rather it be more varied encounter design than anything else.
>>
>>378534146
Unlimited Bait Works
>>
I don't bother shitting on DMC4 over having to go backwards because the level design isn't what mattered in DMC3 either. It's not like I ever cared that much traveling around DMC3 either, the level design did nothing.
That being said, I would love if they actually brought level design into it. DMC1 was still too shallow in that regard, but it had a hint of it. Like OP said, I think a more Metroidvania take on it while keeping the combat and the combo shit the same would be absolutely amazing.
>>
>>378532152
>it still gave the feeling of exploring a castle
This is why I still consider it as a better game than any others DMC clone/sequel/Bayonetta stuff.
>>
>>378534456
DMC1 was already split up into missions though, despite being quite interconnected; so you wouldn't really lose anything.
>>
>>378534650

Is your idea of the ultimate "video game" just a combo entering simulator?

Are DMCniggers the type of fags who think Dance Dance Revolution is fun?

I'm sorry but God of War is a real actual fleshed out video game, not shekel jewing arcade trash made to rake in pennies from losers, but ported to consoles to make money out of combo autismus maximus's.
>>
>>378532152
> calls dmc a metroidvania
> has never played resident evil
>>
>>378534146
Cuck of war is so great
>>
>arrive at statue with blue flames
>hit it
>nothing happens
>backtrack
>find boss and acquire new weapon
>use new weapon and perform at least an A-rank combo on it
>path unlocked
This is how it would probably go down and I think it would be great. Though perhaps also the usual double jump shit to get to higher places. Perhaps you get double jump from beating a boss this time instead of unlocking it.
>>
>>378534838
>I'm sorry but God of War is a real actual fleshed out video game

Not anymore lol.
>>
>>378534972

You can call me Donte, Donte da demon killah! Has a nice ring to it don't you think?

FUCK YOOUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>>378535026

Everything dies anon.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (178KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
178KB, 1440x1080px
>>378534838
People give DMC2 and DMC4 shit for having garbage level design all the time. Most people who love DMC4 don't even excuse the terrible backtracking.
>>
>>378534146
>>378534146
>but as someone who thinks level design is more important than a games GAME PLAY

I fucking hate vidya fans
>>
>>378534838
>Are DMCniggers the type of fags who think Dance Dance Revolution is fun?

Hey.

What's wrong with DDR?
>>
>>378535723

Level design is gameplay. Level design isn't just artstyle retard, though I'd expect a combo nigger to think that. You can have great combat mechanics but if you have no levels to use them in you don't have good gameplay do you, you just have essentially a test level that devs use to test out mechanics in.

Your paths, level complexity, vertical and all that is very important and is the largest part of a game. Second after level design is your MOVEMENT mechanics. Movement mechanics are much more important than combat mechanics as you are moving more than you are fighting in almost every game, and movement mechanics must be built around the level design, or vice versa so they can take advantage of each other. A good example of this is Quake or Build Engine shooters and stuff like bunnyhopping, rocket jumping and mid air turning in those games, so many secret areas required you to learn all these really fun but fairly complex movement mechanics and it made the enjoyment of the game so much better than just a straight shooter. Doom is also more about movement than it is shooting. Doom is a perfect Level Design > Movement > Combat style game. It's like a first person space invaders where you have to dodge enemy projectiles, but also launch your own back. And the level design has to allow possibilities and make this fun and change the balancing from room to room.

Level Design > Movement Mechanics > Combat Mechanics > Everything else
>>
>>378534738
Any game based around backtracking can't be too difficult or otherwise it bores and frustrates players, even if they could just run past the enemies, it wouldn't be fun.
>>
>all these people in this thread don't know how good those S ranks feel

How does it feel being bad?
>>
>>378536135
Go make your own game if you know so much then and stop trying to change my favourite series because it doesn't fit your particular tastes.
>>
>>378536392

I'm not OP and I'm not trying to change DMC.

I told OP it will never happen because DMC fags don't value good level design or good movement mechanics, and that he should play the older GoW games instead since they are, while not perfect, a big step up and still sorta in the same genre.
>>
>>378536135
God of War doesn't have good level design, it funnels you from one fight to the next with some boring puzzles inbetween on occasion, God of War also doesn't have good movement mechanics at least not any with any sort of depth.

God of War was always a mediocre series.
>>
>>378536662

I said it's not a perfect game, I said it's better than DMC in those aspects while still being similar enough to DMC in that it might scratch OP's itch.
>>
>>378532321
>>378534146
I can see the combo autists loving the optional bosses, challenges, weapons and items, and the ability to speedrun the campaign

Honestly if they have a good enough Bloody Palace I wouldn't even give a fuck about the campaign
>>
File: ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg (54KB, 354x500px) Image search: [Google]
ninjagaidenblack_xboxbox.jpg
54KB, 354x500px
>>378536205
>Any game based around backtracking can't be too difficult or otherwise it bores and frustrates players, even if they could just run past the enemies, it wouldn't be fun.

?
>>
>>378537143
Ninja Gaiden was boring at times regardless of backtracking but in a game like OP wants you'd be fighting the same fights a lot more than you ever did in Ninja Gaiden.
>>
>>378532321
As a combo autist I would like a game like what OP described just fine, but I also like castlevania a lot. The only issue is that by nature what OP is suggesting is bad for combo autists as is lengthens the gap between fights. Downtime isn't particularly appreciated. It also makes replaying parts/bosses difficult, though the last could be handled with a boss rush.
>>
>>378537143
METAL GEAR
>>
>>378536556
>I told OP it will never happen because DMC fags don't value good level design or good movement mechanics.

You seem to live in some kind of fantasy world where the millions of DMC fans out there are all combo autists, who do nothing but play Bloody Palace and jerk it to combo videos all day.

Most DMC fans are just people who play the games once or twice, and the favorites among the average joe is still DMC1 and DMC3. Not because they have the deepest combat mechanics, but because they provide enjoyable campaigns for anyone willing to complete them, regardless if they're high-level players or not.
>>
File: never don't give up.jpg (38KB, 460x617px) Image search: [Google]
never don't give up.jpg
38KB, 460x617px
>>378536294

the first time i played dmc3 i thought that it was the hardest game ever until i came to /v/.
It seemed to me that almost all of the people here didn't have such a hard time with the game as me.
I then slowly started to realise that everyone here played the game wrong according to my autistic brain, they all used items and were happy with any score as long as they had fun.
I honestly don't enjoy dmc games anymore, i'm stressed all the time playing those games, watch out for combo meter, watch out and don't get hit, watch out for orb collecting etc....
Looking at webms of chruaaazzyy gameplay i just start calculating what moves the guy is doing instead of enjoying the crazy because it's not crazy to me anymore, it's normal gameplay that's stressing me out.
>>
>>378537436
>Ninja Gaiden was boring at times regardless of backtracking

The more interconnected level design is what makes NGB the best though.
>>
That kind of gameplay system won't mesh well with an open world design. You don't want to walk around empty spaces waiting for the next combat sequence. That will also get boring fast.
>>
>>378539043

>metroidvania
>open world

OP meant a big building to explore, with lots of rooms. Sort of like Symphony of the Night, but in 3D and more freedom.
>>
>>378533471
Blatantly untrue
>>
>>378539207
>big building to explore, with lots of rooms
Considering you are free to wander around and not get railroaded in one direction, you can call it an open world design. Its just that the scale of the world is smaller compared to your other open world games.
>>
>>378539412

Which means you don't " walk around empty spaces waiting for the next combat sequence" meaning the combat will not "get boring fast".
>>
>>378534146
>The amount of combo fags getting mad at this post

Kek, you literally didn't insult DMC and just said that Gow has great lvl and puzzle design which is true and people sperg, can people at least play both games to see for themselves?
>>
>>378539339
Sorry, but its true. The high-level players make up an incredibly small number of the DMC fanbase.

Most people simply enjoy playing through the game once and watching some high-level play on Youtube.
>>
>>378540278
>GoW
>Great puzzles

I mean, seeing Kratos rip off that guy's skull and using it as a key was cool, but c'mon.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.