[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How's that game going, /v/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

File: 4thEnglish.jpg (50KB, 591x722px) Image search: [Google]
4thEnglish.jpg
50KB, 591x722px
How's that game going, /v/?
>>
>tfw no language will ever be as powerful as C++ but without all the ugly warts
>>
File: 1494098363177.gif (1MB, 320x213px) Image search: [Google]
1494098363177.gif
1MB, 320x213px
>tfw have made two games but both where the result of following tutorials and other peoples work heavily because I'm too retarded to understand programming properly.

Who else brainlet here.
>>
>>378526324
here it is now suck my peanus
what do next
>>
File: Fox Conscript Fire.gif (13KB, 288x384px) Image search: [Google]
Fox Conscript Fire.gif
13KB, 288x384px
Doing a fair bit of retooling of my initial design I posted few months back. As much as I've tried making it work it just didn't. Looked a bit too similar to other stuff.

Shifting the setting into 1914s, doubling the size of the buildings etc. It involves a humongous overhaul but it looks really for the better than the original 'mediaeval' design I've been struggling with to make standing out.

I'm not too big on stuff like Steampunk so shifting the ideas more towards the Great War helped make it stand out and still involve some good resource management ideas.

I've also cut down on the stupid micro from the initial design... So basically except display code and map code I have to start nearly everything from nearly point zero.
>>
>>378526324
Going strong.
>>
>>378526324
A bit slow, but making progress. Currently working on my dialog.
>>
>>378526865
Something's odd about the head here. The eye looks weird and the snout seems too narrow.
>>
How hard would it be to make a 2D metroidvania platformer with close to no knowledge on programming/coding? Mainly thinking about Gamemaker Studio.
>>
>>378527397

Yeah do it with GMS. Get GMS 2 though, GMS is a sinking ship.
>>
I started programming last year and made my first game in java a month or 2 ago, it was ugly clunky and disgusting but it gives me hope for the years to come.
>>
>>378527346

With this little pixels you can have expressive eyes or no eyes. I went for the earlier since it's gonna play a major role in how the soldiers look, the guy is a conscript so he will look a bit worried. Not sure really about the snout being too thick, making it slimmer would be a bit of a challange but I'll try. There's some more animations planned there so those extra few pixels down will play a role in cheering anims.
>>
>>378527397
Why don't you just learn programming?
>>
>>378526324
>C++
>to make games

Are you guys literally reinventing the wheel every time?
>>
File: minodyssey.png (408KB, 813x657px) Image search: [Google]
minodyssey.png
408KB, 813x657px
>>378526324
I think it turned out okay for my first game. Project for uni elective unit was an open-ended "digital" project. Good excuse to finally boot up Clickteam Fusion that I got in a Humble Bundle. Took a while to figure out the kinks but after that, smashed out a simple 3 level arcade-y game in a week, made the music in Ableton and the art in Paint.net.

I'm a computer science major so the actual ground-up game I build myself will be further down the line I guess. I'm surprised at how easy it was to grips with Clickteam once you get the basic ideas down. I feel like anyone could make whatever they want with this as long as it's 2D and they watch some youtube tutorials.
>>
File: 1493068348168.jpg (317KB, 1440x1586px) Image search: [Google]
1493068348168.jpg
317KB, 1440x1586px
>tfw starting a 9-5 job next week
let's hope I won't be tired to dev in free time and on weekends
>>
>>378528109

That would be C, m8.
>>
>>378528182
Time to put that passion to the test
>>
>>378528109
You can use an existing engine, frameworks and tools even if you do your programming in C++, you know.
>>
>>378526324
Currently working on a tetris clone when I have spare time. It's teaching me a lot.
>>
>>378528182
>getting a job

ur not a real dev
>>
>>378527915
Because the road sounds incredibly slow and tedious to even begin programming something as simple as gameplay mechanics, and I don't think I have the time and patience to learn it. Although I remember having a lot of fun scripting Doom maps so I might look back into it, I don't know.
>>
>TFW competent programmer but no ideas and shitty at art

I always start stuff but can't flesh out the details enough to get the ball moving. Need like a detail oriented person to keep it all in check
>>
>>378528406
how do real devs afford food
>>
>>378528468
I'd argue that learning programming is less work than trying to hack a functional game together using drag'n'drop tools and premade scripts/assets. Especially nowadays when there are things like Blueprints and Playmaker available.
>>
>>378527915
Because there's no reason to if his idea can be done in GameMaker.
>>
>>378528620
you pirate food from the asset store and 3d print it
>>
>>378528390
And when you try to connect all those headers, you will get a fuckload of compiler errors.
>>
>>378526324
Still learning too much shit to do anything with it.
>>
>>378528182
You will be, this job has sucked out my motivation. I need to escape
>>
>>378528674
Have fun trying to make any non-trivial game with GameMaker without any scripting
>>
Gamer Maker or Unity. This is the crossroad I'm at.
>C++ or C#
>>
>>378529036

if it's graphically-lightweight indieshit then go with C#
>>
>>378528653
Tell me more about those last two things.
>>
File: asrgrthre.png (113KB, 1076x658px) Image search: [Google]
asrgrthre.png
113KB, 1076x658px
>>378529460
>Blueprints
Unreal Engine's built-in visual programming tool

>Playmaker
A third-party visual programming tool for Unity

Haven't used either because visual programming feels like writing a book with fridge magnets compared to actual programming, but afaik they're pretty easy to learn and powerful enough to do almost anything you can do with actual scripting.
>>
>>378528109
See that's not a good way to put it.You are not building photoshop, you are building paint.Imagine it like that.Of course it'll still take some time but it's not like everyone is trying to make an Unreal Engine or a CryEngine.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.