[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Healing items

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

File: Major-healing-potion.jpg (123KB, 800x719px) Image search: [Google]
Major-healing-potion.jpg
123KB, 800x719px
In your opinion, how should heal items be handled?

- Push pause button and drink a gajillion health potions until full. No cooldowns.
- Be able to drink a healing potion with instant healing but with a cooldown.
- Healing items restore health over time. Drinking more health potions extends the healing duration. No cooldowns.
- Healing can only be done while time is running, healing takes time, and is on a cooldown.
>>
imho "healing" potions shouldnt exist
or "curative" magic

at most a regen sort of magic maybe
>>
File: disgusted-girl.jpg (23KB, 300x399px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted-girl.jpg
23KB, 300x399px
>>378517393
>-
>>
>>378517461
Regen might be even more broken than direct healing.
>pre-cast it before a battle or when you're safe
>proceed to attack with reckless abandon without having to worry about casting a healing spell in a pinch
>>
>>378517393
depends on the game you retard
>>
>>378517393
Not going to include the Monster Hunter option here?
>>
>>378517534
Well yeah forget about regen magic
>>
>>378517393
Depends on the game
Some games like Dark Souls, it makes sense for potions to force you to stand still. A punishment if done improperly.
Some games use instantly or overtime with a cooldown. Instantly is usually geared towards more of an emergency cooldown, whereas over time is geared towards "you expect that you can remain unharmed over a period of time"
Games that let you pause and heal to full typically involve you almost being 1-3 shot, or are more casual in nature, or health items are obtained from grinding meaning theirs unfun effort required to abuse it.

In LoL, you heal over time. It's not meant to be "i saved my ass", but instead a "i'll retreat a bit and recover over time". Games like WoW use it as a lifesaving cooldown.

It depends on gameplay.
>>
I really think it depends on the game. In a game with predominantly non-magical creatures, perhaps potions would burn or be painful, making it so if a non-magical user takes it, they are incapacitated for a short period. Magical users would be more resilient to these effects maybe?

In a world where there are mages/wizards/sorcerers everywhere, they probably have dialed potions to a point where they don't really have negative effects.

One thing is for sure, would love to see the ability to drink potions, health or otherwise, while running, perhaps at a slower running speed. I've drank while running and walking. You don't need to stop and take 6 seconds at a standstill. Terrible game mechanic.
>>
>>378517393
>potion grants very slow regen, but the effect lasts long
>potion is very expensive, not found randomly
>to use needs to be equipped in hand or belt or quick pouch
>drinking has an animation even during combat

I would love a system like this
>>
It depends more on the health system in general. I'm fine with most anything depending on the genre.

Like for example, Kid Icarus Uprising has a press to heal with no animation for healing but if you get knocked onto a magic pixel you are put into a crisis mode where you can't heal. You think this would make you just hide in a corner but it gives you a massive bonus if you manage to clear the stage while in crisis mode, also there are hyper modes that make it work as well.
>>
>>378517393
It really depends on the game. For some genres, such as RPGs (especially those which focus on verisimilitude), cooldowns are absolute cancer, especially for such a trivial item as a potion. For instance, in Gothic you used a potion (even in combat), the animation played of you drinking it, done. You could drink another one right after.

Action-based Diablo-likes? Path of Exile has an interesting mechanic of charges that replenish as you kill monsters.

In some old Korean MMOs you could buy thousands of potions which you could set on macros (auto-using the potion when HP is less than XX), with a short cooldown (around 1 sec).

In some games, such as roguelikes or older RPGs, potions can be scarce and become a valuable resource to be managed.
>>
File: potions.png (371KB, 756x451px) Image search: [Google]
potions.png
371KB, 756x451px
What do the potions taste like?
What happens to the liquid when you drink it?
Do you drink it, or apply it, or both?
>>
>>378517789
why is the last potion background suddenly swapped
>>
>>378517393
how about if a game has potions you just don't use them and create your own challenge?
>>
File: 1447643247_preview_13705486137.png (307KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447643247_preview_13705486137.png
307KB, 500x500px
>>378517789
Is health red or green?
>>
>>378517489
I don't like using arrows unless I am quoting, anon.
>>
>>378517889
Red you doofus.
Green is poison
>>
>>378517946
Why make a poison potion?
>>
File: 1495721478264.jpg (105KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1495721478264.jpg
105KB, 800x600px
What games feature stomach fullness in a game that uses potions?
>Drink one too many
>Vomiting happens and all over-time buffs lose effect
>Drinking mixes of potions gives you diarhea or something
>>
>>378517946
>>378517985
It's stamina you silly gooses.
>>
>>378517985
to throw at people? don't be stupid
>>
>>378518025
Almost all roguelikes.
>>
>>378517883
The original picture had only certain number of potions and I just color shifted them. Didn't bother with the background
>>
>>378518063
Why a potion though? Wouldn't poison darts, or bombs, or spray be more effective?
>>
File: aKBd4e6_460s.jpg (21KB, 460x459px) Image search: [Google]
aKBd4e6_460s.jpg
21KB, 460x459px
>>378517393
Games should have the health of your character scale up and so should the damage of the higher level enemies.
The health pots however do not scale. They are only useful during earlier levels before you have access to more damage in order to leverage lifesteal, spell vamp or getting gud with well timed blocking.

I'm more of a fan of lifesteal and spell vamp as those reward big damage and cut out the middle man.
>>
>>378518025
witcher has toxicity, unfortunately it also has passives that let you drink more before you suffer the effects of it..
>>
>>378518229
>unfortunately
Fuck you. Alchemy tree a best.
I get to drink three decoctions which last forever and still have enough toxicity to drink two more potions. And I get to look like an actual mutant.
>>
Which games have potions that can kill you?
>>
>>378518226
>I'm more of a fan of lifesteal and spell vamp as those reward big damage and cut out the middle man.
You must be a fan of path of exile then
>>
>>378518319
elder scrolls games
>>
>>378518319
Prince of Persia.
>>
>>378518336
Sure its good. It's not the only game with lifesteal and spell vamping though.
>>
>>378518226
It also makes offensive power the same as defensive power, which I think is bad.
>>
>>378518319
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE
>>
>>378518319
The Witcher 3 has potion limits that force you to wait. Never played it, so I'm not sure if you can overdose on them
>>
>>378518319

Dungeons of Dredmor
>>
>>378517534

>Regen stops when at full health, or otherwise health cannot increase (status incurred max-hp reduction etc)
>>
A healing system that can punish you which you can't spam. Dark Souls 2 (excluding lifegems) and Hollow Knight did it right.
>>
>>378519707
Use a portion of your MP and then slowly start the healing while spending MP over time?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.