[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Yoshi cookie me on Nintendo's legal position with this game.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: yoshi.jpg (77KB, 660x463px) Image search: [Google]
yoshi.jpg
77KB, 660x463px
How was Nintendo able to port this game to GBA but somehow is legally prohibited from doing so on 3DS? Feels like an excuse to keep screwing us SNES bros over.

>Waaaaaaaah, we couldn't bring over Mother 1 + 2 because we lost our Mother 1 translation and can't release EarthBound by itself.
>Waaaaaaaah, we charge $10.96 for EarthBound on VC because we had to redo some tunes when we lost the rights to the Beatles!
>Waaaaaaaah, Super Mario RPG can't be on the VC because the N3DS isn't powerful enough to emulate it.
>Waaaaaaaah, we lost the rights to the sound chip Yoshi's Island contained even though we ported it to GBA just fine.
>>
>>378506731
Because the GBA port doesn't use the SuperFX chip effects.
>>
There's a legal gray area regarding the SuperFX chip.
>>
File: 1477245405016.jpg (27KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1477245405016.jpg
27KB, 300x300px
>we lost the rights to the sound chip Yoshi's Island contained
wut
>>
>>378506731
I can understand the music issue with Earthbound because that was a legit legal issue and it was easier to make new music
Maybe even the Super Mario RPG if we got an explanation why is wouldn't work on the N3DS
But the porting because of sound chip legal stuff makes no sense
How is the music chip tied to the music in game?
Also the GBA thing I'm sure they still had the rights.
>>
>>378506731
If you weren't a complete moron you would know that the ambassador program included yoshis island
>>
But I own this on 3ds
>>
>>378507184
Stupid anon.
>>
>>378506731
The GBA version is better
>>
>>378506731
Isn't the Mario RPG issue because square owns the originals characters from that game?
>>
>>378507184
If you weren't a complete moron, you would realize that OP wants Nintendo to rerelease the SNES version instead of the GBA version.
>>
>>378506731
Nintendo has this silly but kind of fair policy that all VC releases have to be 100% faithful to the source product. This leads to trouble like when the gayme has product placement or contains something owned by another company (Like Jetpac in DK64).

Who owns the soundchip?
>>
>>378507081
You know how you don't own your games on Steam, but instead own a license to play those games? Nintendo didn't own all the hardware in the cartridge for Yoshi's Island, and instead owned a license to redistribute the hardware with their software on it. That license was limited in scope so emulating the effects of that hardware isn't legal.
>>
>>378506947
>>378507013
These, the same reason why Star Fox nor Star Fox 2 can't be released on the Virtual Console.
>>
>>378507597
It's silly when you consider most people on /v/ are used to emulators and are used to getting a game for free but having it maybe glitch out like 1% of the time. If you're paying money for a product you expect it to work 100% of the time and those weird one off emulation errors aren't acceptable.
>>
So lets say that the snes version is best and nintendo can legally port it, do you think nintendo would do a better job emulating that chip than the people who have been doing it for two decades?
>>
>>378507435
Yes. Geno appeared in a minigame for Superstar Saga and was listed in the credits as being copyrighted by Square.
>>
>>378507597
I think you're confusing nintendo with sony, nintendo has released quite a few edited VC games, such as waverace 64 and pokemon. Capcom has also done it a few times. Sony on the other hand is pretty strict about this when it comes to PS1 classics
>>
>>378507879
Emulation on non-Nintendo hardware is shit so yes. Anyone whose ever owned a Wii learned this a decade ago. Why didn't you?
>>
>>378508219
Never played Wave Race's VC version but I guess Nintendo draws the line at blackface.
>>
File: sample_.jpg (12KB, 160x229px) Image search: [Google]
sample_.jpg
12KB, 160x229px
>>378506731
I didn't know about that Beatles shit on Earthbound, only the Johny B. Good song.

Holy shit you learn something new everyday
>>
>>378508693
Goode*
>>
The funny thing is this isn't the first time Nintendo has legal trouble with their games. Ever wonder why we keep seeing the NES version of Donkey Kong but never the arcade port? Even when Donkey Kong Jr. and 3 arcade is always there? Well they had legal issue with the code of Donkey Kong and so they honestly have no ownership of the arcade version but do own the NES version.
>>
>>378508693
Earthbound is literally filled with samples from all sorts of old bands.
Watch https://youtu.be/E_oc9Ypcb2Q for just a couple of them
>>
>>378507180
Super Mario RPG not being on N3DS is probably because the SA-1 chip it has is basically three SNES CPUs and they probably can't get their N3DS SNES emulator to run it while maintaining the 3DS home menu in the background or something.
>>
>>378506731
I have this game on 3DS though. Just get the GBA VC version.
>>
>>378509309
>The Stones one
>>
>>378506731
>we had to redo some tunes in earthbound
Can't find any information on this, and am interested in the new tunes. Do you have a link to a comparison video or something? Please no Siivagunner
>>
>>378509628
Actually a lot of Japanese game music has a lot of "likeness" aka flat out stealing to other songs.
Listen to Journey Faithfully and Mega Man Electric Man side by side.
>>
>>378510237
I don't sorry. It's what I've heard from other anons when I've complained before.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.