[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Story in video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1426550884503.jpg (3MB, 1392x1976px) Image search: [Google]
1426550884503.jpg
3MB, 1392x1976px
But let's be serious for a moment.

If video games do not need/have stories, why does practically every game more complicated than Tetris have scenarios and assets that aren't basic or arbitrary? Why bother with elaborate designs? The oldest games used simple geometric shapes to represent everything and that works just fine. Gameplay doesn't need a reason to exist, creating a narrative context for the objectives and mechanics is completely pointless and adds nothing. People would enjoy these games just as much if they didn't have characters, settings or plots. It would also make development faster and cheaper since flat color polygon geometry is a lot cheaper than custom assets.
>>
>>378432773

I have the original poster/map that came with the SNES cartridge for this game and I will never not love this image
>>
You'd have a lot of fun being a red blood cell OP.
>>
>>378434174
Can you reword that in a way that has to do with video games?
>>
>>378434594
It doesn't matter because there is always story involved in games.

The game doesn't exist in a vacuum, there's someone playing it.
And that someone holds an incentive to play the game.
You might argue that Anon can only play Pacman to beat his score, but perhaps Anon feels nostalgic and calm while he plays Pacman. Maybe Pacman makes him feel sad.

Incentive to play a game is narrative in it's own right because it gives meaning to the playing.

Narrative WITHIN the game is just the creators formulating more incentive to the player.
>>
>>378434998
I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think a game merely triggering emotions based on association qualifies as forming a narrative.
>>
We had pretty much this thread just half an hour ago.

But anyway: Because people ultimately play games for the story. The premise/setting is important (like you observed, people would much rather shoot space orcs with guns than move pointer on top of geometric shapes and click) but so is the emergent narrative.

Humans think in stories. They're not so concerned about mathematical complexity of the game and in most cases the mechanical aspect of pressing buttons is of little concern as well. Even in completely abstract games it's the journey of changing fortunes and the like that people tend to find appealing, and in a lot of games some might naively call "pure gameplay", the story (in this case more complex and less abstract than a hero's journey) is pretty much the only reason they are played. Various strategy games are an excellent example of this (for example, most grand strategy games are just people roleplaying sovereigns, not even trying to "win").

Naturally, game featuring models of space orcs instead of geometric objects or being structured to increase character power in a pace that appeals to storytelling brain are the most basic forms of environmental storytelling and emergent narratives possible, but even in this most basic level, that's where I believe appeal in games tends to be for most people, and great games tend to bring those concepts much further.
>>
>>378436631
You could've also written that Carmack doesn't understand basic human thought and behavior.
>>
>>378434051
if you dont like it why not sell it?
>>
>>378436631
What is the appeal of Burnout or any fighting game? The narrative? No.
>>
>>378438917
He means 'he will always like it.' He was speaking in double negative the millennial way, which negates the negative and empathizes the original meaning. That double negative is different from southern redneck/nigger double negative, which is just a negative, and still in incorrect grammar.

Don't speak in double negative, kids.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.