[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did the beat 'em up genre not really transfer into 3D?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

Why did the beat 'em up genre not really transfer into 3D?
>>
The Japanese took them and turned them into Bayonetta and Devil May Cry.
>>
>>378379409
because the few that did only really just used the formula of 2d beat em ups and no one ever really expanded on them like they could have.

the only one i can think of off the top of my head that did it right was mortal kombat shaolin monks. i hope to see them either remaster this game or make a new one since mortal kombats popularity is so good at the moment.
>>
>>378380078
/thread
>>
>>378379409

But it did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkVdJXolW_0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1hpdMor7Dc
>>
>>378379409
I long for the day when co-op grapples are a thing again, in all forms.
>grab an enemy together for a double suplex or something
>grab a teammate, toss him at the enemy for a extra strong flying kick
>grab a teammate and hold on while said teammate mashes attack to kick with both feet repeatedly
>>
>>378380756
>because the few that did only really just used the formula of 2d beat em ups and no one ever really expanded on them like they could have.

What do you mean? What could be done differently?
>>
File: WWE_2K14_cover.jpg (153KB, 300x421px) Image search: [Google]
WWE_2K14_cover.jpg
153KB, 300x421px
>>378382321
>>
>>378379409
God Hand didn't sell.
>>
>>378379409
Go 1CC every belt-scroller in existence, including all the console and home computer ones, and then come back here and tell me that you are not sick to fucking DEATH of them, and ready to take a look at what can be done in the same genre with three-dimensional graphics. DMC and Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta and Metal Gear Rising, that's what. And that's why the Platinum dudes are not making belt-scrollers with Game Maker on the TIGSource forums. Because they aren't retards.
>>
File: warriorscover.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
warriorscover.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
>>378379409
>Forgetting this amazing game exists

However, I do get your point in general. I think it's mostly because as a genre it fell out of style.
>>
Streets of Rage had really awesome music.
>>
>>378380756
This game was really challenging when I was younger even with friends, because of the shared health pool. The enviroments and bosses were awesome and there were even a fair few secrets, all in all this game is fun as fuck.
>>
>>378379409
Yakuza is literally Segas biggest IP after Autism the Hedgehog
>>
>>378384281
Go 1 continue every hack and slash game and come back and tell me you aren't sick of them

What kind of retarded point is that?
>>
>>378379409
SOMEONE POST THE SEANBABY ARTICLE

He actually explains this perfectly. In 2D your hit range is "anything 180° in front of you and as far away as the length of your arm". In 3D it's "a space the size of your fist and as far away as the length of your arm, which since there's no depth perception in a game you can't even judge the distance of reliably".

It just doesn't work in 3D from a gameplay standpoint.

ALL of the exceptions are LUDICROUSLY OVER THE TOP games like Godhand and Die Hard Arcade, though only the latter really made any money.
>>
>>378379409
The beat em up genre didn't transfer to home consoles at all, 2D or 3D. It's a relic of arcades.
>>
>>378379409
They're called Musou now.
>>
>>378385197
No one is complaining about lack of slashers; your move.
>>
>>378385235
>The beat em up genre didn't transfer to home consoles at all, 2D or 3D.

It was HUGE in the 8-bit and 16-bit eras on every console from that period, even portables.
>>
File: 419710.jpg (587KB, 1900x1200px) Image search: [Google]
419710.jpg
587KB, 1900x1200px
>>378379409
Someone hasn't been paying attention.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.