[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 330px-Role_playing_gamers.jpg (30KB, 330x212px) Image search: [Google]
330px-Role_playing_gamers.jpg
30KB, 330x212px
This is the history of role-playing games:
>evolved out of -improvisational- theatre
>games where players -choose- their characterisation and actions/narrative outcomes
>Dungeons & Dragons (1974), combines role-playing with the =statistical= rules of war-gaming, so that battles can be more objective and strategical
>The first Computer RPGs: Akalabeth (1980), Wizardry (1981) weren't actually role-playing games but strategy games, they only incorporated the statistical/battle element with dungeon exploration
>Fallout (1997), Planescape: Torment (1999), The Elder Scrolls, are the same but with more elaborate exploration, dialogue, and story paths
>and that's the extent of the WRPG: strategy games with a few choices
>>For the JRPG:
>>The CRPGs got popular in Japan before the actual (table-top, LARP, etc) role-playing games
>>therefore they confused statistics for role-playing itself
>>the extent of the JRPG?: shallow strategy games that focus on the juvenile plots, characterisation, FMVs, and soundtracks; culminating in 'Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within', a single 106-minute-long cutscene JRPG
>>>The exception to this sad history of the CRPG is Deus Ex, which has a plot as developed as any linear action game, but yet can be stretched to accommodate a variety of roles chosen by the player, compared to the shallow multiple-choices of WRPGs and the dearth of choices in JRPGS.
>>
I see you haven't played many cRPGs
>>
Who cares?
>>
>>378363209
From Akalabeth to Skyrim, not much has changed in regards to role-playing opportunities.
>>
>>378363842
>who cares about videogames?
/v/ - videogames
>>
>>378365040
>From Akalabeth to Skyrim
If these two are the only "cRPGs" you have played, then sure.
>>
File: 1234567.png (202KB, 371x373px) Image search: [Google]
1234567.png
202KB, 371x373px
NO YOU SEE
THERE ARE NOW TRUE ROLE PLAYING GAMES
ALL OF THOSE RULE BOOKS CONSTRAIN MY DEEP CREATIVE MIND SO MUCH
I NEED TO MAKE CHOICES AND NOT BE LIMITED BY THE RESTRICTIONS OF THINGS LIKE LOGIC OR STATISTICS
THEREFORE I PROPOSE A NEW GENRE FOR ALL OF THESE NUMBER BASED GAMES:
SUBTR-ACTION.
YOU'LL SEE. I'LL POST THIS IN EVERY RPG THREAD! YOU'LL ALL AGREE WITH ME SOON!
pic related its all of you whiny rulefags reading my infallible logic
>>
>>378365225
Give an example of a CRPG with actual role-playing.
>>
>>378366240
Fallout 1, 2 and NV, Arcanum, VtM:B, Darklands, Realms of Arkania trilogy, Gothic 1 and 2, Alpha Protocol, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, KotOR 1 and 2, even Pathologic, which isn't categorized as RPG.
>>
>>378367089

we're not going to have another game like arcanum or vtm:b right?

it hurts
>>
>>378362928
Autism should be bannable.
>>
>>378367235
Maybe if Tim Cain makes another RPG with Obsidian, which should be soon.
>>
>>378362928
Ah, icy. Shitposting as usual, I see. What a useless sack of shit you are.
>>
>>378366240
Get btfo by >>378367089
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.