[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I cant fucking believe there hasnt been any good RPG release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

File: Might_and_Magic_-_Vokial.jpg (20KB, 225x350px) Image search: [Google]
Might_and_Magic_-_Vokial.jpg
20KB, 225x350px
I cant fucking believe there hasnt been any good RPG release in the past few years besides TW3

fucking shit is what this is
>>
I think AAA rpgs are a thing of the past. In the current day and age, it'd take millions of dollars to develop a full rpg with the AAA polish that people want.

Personally, i'd be fine with a quality dip just to have the expansive, fun RPG worlds that we used to get fairly frequently. Dragon Age Origins is probably at about the level of quality I'd want in an RPG. Closed world to cut dev costs, random encounters on the road, and multiple story archs and side quests that take place in contained settings. Even if the game wasn't the best, I feel it has the right setup, and should be emulated for the best cost/quality devs can get.

The whole 'game must be open world or it's shit' mentality needs to die in a fucking hole. It's killing the RPG genre.
>>
>>378351227
I agree, I feel like smaller, more intricate zones are needed to make RPGs have the level of interaction and detail that people want. Open world sounds nice on paper but just doesn't work with the qualities people want from a traditional RPG
>>
Pillars of Eternity was kind of good. I don't regret buying it.
>>
>>378351797
I'm playing it right now, and it's okay but a lot of it is just too bland for me to really care. I'm playing White March 2 right now and while the monastery stuff is kind of neat I just don't care about the gods and their conflicts. And I'm not a graphics whore, but I feel the game is really lacking in good visual presentation, even in the DLC.
>>
>>378350570
I think the problem is that they think it needs to be 3d . Give me a 2d Chrono Trigger like with an open world and nice sprites and i will gladly give you 50 buck for your time
>>
in RPGs, people want a decent "meaningful interactions per square mile" value

having a game be open world makes this difficult
>>
Divinity Original Sin is fucking amazing.
>>
>>378350570
tw3 is mediocre, good graphics but thats about it.
>>
>>378351563
Agreed. There's nothing interesting about 'fantasy' countryside. If there's an interesting landmark, it can be its own zone. I think the facination with open world is killing a fuck ton of game genres.

Open world needs to die a horrible death. It pretty much ruined Dragon Age Inquisition for me, they could have easily cut the game into small chunks and dropped the whole open world thing and I would have enjoyed it more.
>>378352486
This.
>>
>>378350570

Nier is good.

>>378351797

Pillars made me realize I never actually liked isometric RPG's.
>>
>>378352958

I think the open world concept would have worked better in The Witcher if the game had survival mechanics and less emphasis on Diablo loot.
>>
>>378352958
fuck off sjw faggot
>>
>>378350570
TW3 is not an RPG
>>
>>378350570
Persona 5 just came out.
>>
>>378353068
I think the Witcher is good. Softcore openworld RPG. I think open world is purely a problem in that it's killed the oldschool RPG.
>>378353438
>seeing the potential in a game for what it could be is SJW
Game has its fair share of cancer, but it could have been a good game at its core if it didnt have the forced open world bullshit. the diversity pandering is fucking cancer, but that's not what made the game shit.
>>
>>378352975

>Pillars made me realize I never actually liked isometric RPG's.

Funnily enough, it made me realize I loved them. I mean, a lot of people realized they hated RPGs from a gameplay perspective beause they were used to the other IE games which either were hilariously easy to break or didn't require combat at all. Pillars is tits though, one of my favorite vidyagames of the last ten years
>>
>>378353679

Hey, I like you. Lots of interesting lore and shit in TW3 ruined by SJW shitposting in the writing. I wanted to see them explore dwarven shit more and that happened in the DLC. I found that I actually still care about the world after that too because I started thinking "A dwarf that can touch the fade? Would this be the most politicized dwarf in history now? The chantry's gonna be interested especially since she didn't do a harrowing, but the dwarves will have conflicts with this because they did manage to retake a thaig and blah blah blah" and it made me realize I still really liked Thedas...
>>
>>378353946
by tw3 i think you mean DAI.

I pretty much agree with what you're saying. DA isn't inherantly a shit franchise, it's made shit by poor writers and bad game design.

They decided to put the writing effort in to make a dedicated cuscene explaining qunari transgenderism instead of meaningful world building or character interaction.

I feel DA's priorities are completely wrong, and the writers fail to realize what makes a good fantasy RPG. DA:O had something good going for it, and 2 kidna did, but it was ruined by piss poor game design. Inq is just a train wreck because it took the worst elements of the first 2, and then slapped them into an open world sandbox.

Not only did it kill the RPG elements of the game by making it open world, but they decided that buzz topics like transgenderism and homosexuality matters more than the magical shit that happens in a fantasy universe.
>>
>>378354559

see, and my other major issue is I loved the hubs. I think that making each of the little open hubs smaller/more interesting would have helped much more. Some of the hubs have their own story. Storm Coast with its horrible curse, Empris Du Lion with it's non-story needed sidequest of retaking the Emprise is just fucking amazing. If every area was like EDL or SC then I'd respect it more: Smaller little areas with their own narratives and stories to explore. Shit like the Hinterlands and uh, Boring Desert Land were really frustrating. So big with nothing interesting going on. I don't mind open world, but take a page from BG1: little tiny areas to run around in with small little quests and stories peppered throughout >>>>>>>> big maps with boring, respawning mobs
>>
>>378353507
some people dont count jrpg as rpg.
>>
File: IMG_0038.gif (382KB, 376x280px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0038.gif
382KB, 376x280px
>>378350570
>beside tw3

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Inb4 hurr fone phostur
>>
>>378352602
100% agree
>>378352731
agree, but at last i got immersed in the world. the gameplay was okay too
>>
File: 1446917569132.jpg (242KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1446917569132.jpg
242KB, 800x1200px
I can't fucking believe there hasn't been any good vampire vidya released since Bloodlines back in 2004.
>>
>>378352486
>having a game be open world makes this difficult

do you know the gothic / risen games ? its openworld; small but dense and very athmospheric. what keeps devs from making that type of game again ?
>>
>>378356947
There was a new WoD game announced a while back, but it's unlikely to be a troika style RPG
>>
>>378357407

It was Werewolf. I have little interest in that.
>>
>>378357407
It was an MMO and it was canceled. Vaporware.
>>
>>378357695
Not that game, this one
https://www.paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/

Paradox got the license for WoD a while back
>>
>grim dawn
>darkest dungeon
>vagante
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.