[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Period games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (248KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
248KB, 1920x1080px
If Yakuza 0 is explicitly a game set in the 1980's is Kiwami explicitly a hark back to the mid 2000's?

You might wonder what im on about, but games like Vice City sold themselves on "woah! Its the fucking 1980's yo" so is it not about time we did the same thing for the 90's and 2000's? When Kiwami get's released it should hopefully FEEL like the mid 2000's and not just "modern"

Ever think about how GTAIII is now literally a 2000's version of Vice City? Its period now. Anyone know what i mean?
>>
Nope
>>
File: image.jpg (101KB, 377x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 377x400px
>>378312663
Come on though, the 80's are very easy to paint on screen with fashions and such like "oh thats clearly so 80's". Should not the 2000's be the same? Like hopefully with games like Kiwami they go back and look at what styles people had at that time period (2005) and make sure to impliment them. Like pic related hair style: very popular specifically mid 2000's Japan.
>>
>>378312785
y?
>>
No.
>>
>>378312546
>there had been 16 years between when GTA Vice city was set and when it was released.
>there have been 16 years between when GTA III was released and now.

See. It fits if you ask me.
>>
>>378312546
But Yakuza Kiwami is set only in 2005 because it was released in 2005 you retard, every main Yakuza games was set in the time line the game was released.
If anything Kiwami has from the 2000 vibe is that when you are in jail in the 90s and go back to Kabukicho in 2005 you notice that many people have flip phones and there are niggers on the street.
>>
>>378313329
Yeah thats all im saying though. I want to see that people recognise its still that time period. People want the 1980's to look like the 1980's but i bet if the devs had stuck a bunch of modern tech in Kiwami no one would say "thats odd."

Like imagine when Resident Evil 2 remake comes out and it has like, super modern shit in it because the devs think no one will notice.
>>
>>378312881
I'm worried shenmue 3 will have iphones
>>
>>378313824
Right. I think shit like that important. I just wanted to point out that people seem to think 2000 and 2017 might as well be the same exact time period but 1980-2000 was so vastly diffirent. Its been nearly the same time passage.
>>
>>378313634
Name ONE game set in a realistic setting in 90s or 2000 that has modern technology
>>
>>378313634
What in the actual fuck are you saying? Kiwami has been out for nearly 2 years. The NPCs all look the same, it's not supposed to be a hark back to the mid 2000s because the original game was made in the mid 2000s.

Are you okay? Because you're making absolutely zero sense.
>>
>>378313824
But... Shenmue was never authentic?
It was set in the 80's and didn't have any music that would sound like from that era plus you could play games from the 90's on Sega Saturn and buy Virtua Fighter and Sonic toys.
>>
>>378313824
But it's okay for it to have Sonic toys when Sonic hadn't even been designed for another few years?

Why would Shenmue have iPhones, anyway?

>>378314114
It was authentic in that it had 80s technology but the 80s setting wasn't really on par with Vice City's setting. It was just kinda there.
>>
>>378313634
Do you even have any actual examples of anachronisms in remakes?
>>
>>378312828
Do you really not know that Kiwami is already out? It was released in January of 2016. How fucking stupid are you? Do you not even know that it's a remake of the first game?

Yes, people look and dress like how people in Japan looked and dressed in 2005. What even is the point of this thread? Just look up gameplay on Youtube.
>>
File: image.jpg (142KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 1280x720px
>>378314109
That can't be true though a LOT of the NPC's in Yakuza 0 are actually period. To recycle them again would be wrong. This uniform for example is super 1980's. You don't see it anywhere else.
>>
>>378314323
Yeah, so? What does that have to do with Kiwami?
>>
>>378314309
Im trying to say two things:
1) i hope that that level of detail is as expected and important in a 2000's game as it would be in a 1980's game
2) i think we should start having games made now that do for the 2000's or 90's what games live Shenmue and Vice city did for the 80's.
>>
>>378314323
What the fuck are you talking about?
Those uniforms are not "super 80s"
It's the generic uniform for jk that were worn from 80's to late 90's
And what does it have to do with Kiwami?
>>
File: image.jpg (66KB, 800x450px)
image.jpg
66KB, 800x450px
>>378314009
MGSV in the 1980's also there are some bizzare examples of modern shit making its way into Yakuza 0. Like all the modern girls.
>>
>>378314454
You fucking imbecile, THE GAME WAS LITERARY MADE IN 2005 AND IT'S ALSO SET IN 2005.
The developers intended it to be close to the time it was released, do some research before posting this retarded shit.
>>
>>378314486
Im just trying to see if detail authenticity is as important to anons for a game set in the 2000's as it is for a game set in the 90's.
>>
>>378314630
I know all that though anon, but i wonder if they could stick in modern shit like modern fashion and if anons would care like they might if you did it in an 80's game.
>>
>>378312546
>we did the same thing for the 90's
Yeah it was called San Andreas.
>>
Why the fuck are retards getting so mad in this thread lmao?
>>
>>378314454
Yeah, and neither of your points make any fucking sense at all.

Yakuza Kiwami is ALREADY FUCKING OUT AND IS AN INCREDIBLY FAITHFUL REMAKE OF AN ALREADY EXISTING GAME, meaning that you don't have to speculate as to what the fuck everyone's hair will be like or whatever.

Every NPC dresses like they did in Yakuza 1, and every NPC in Yakuza 1 dressed like someone from 2005. Kiryu uses a cell phone, and not a smart phone. Anything else you need to know?

>>378314564
Do you really think Sega are going to track down 80s JAV tapes that are so low-quality they're barely watchable just so they can get an authentic experience for their game? Who gives a shit?

And it's a fucking video game. They can take liberties.
>>
>>378314564
>Name ONE game set in a realistic setting in 90s or 2000 that has modern technology
>Posts 2 shitty examples from 80's games
You are braindead and can't read, plus both examples are bad.
MGS always had """bizzare examples of modern shit"""" and Yakuza 0 devs couldn't really travel back in time and ask 80's models to shoot some scenes for their game.
>>
>>378312546
Is yakuza 0 a bad starting point for the series? I've never played these but I really have this itch to delve into them
>>
>>378314713
But they didn't? What's your point if it never happened?
>>
>>378314713
KIWAMI IS ALREADY FUCKING OUT WHAT DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND

WHY ARE YOU ACTING LIKE THE GAME IS YET TO COME OUT AND THAT THEY MAY OR MAY NOT ADD IN MODERN FASHION WHEN IT'S ALREADY BEEN PROVED THEY HAVEN'T DONE THAT
>>
>>378314838
shut the fuck up you fucking ape
>>
San Andreas was period. Very much throwing back to early 1990s California.
>>
>>378314756
>Yakuza Kiwami is ALREADY FUCKING OUT AND IS AN INCREDIBLY FAITHFUL REMAKE OF AN ALREADY EXISTING GAME, meaning that you don't have to speculate as to what the fuck everyone's hair will be like or whatever.

Cool anon. Thats what i wanted to know. Thank you for taking this long to confirm. Now, i also want to know, is that level of authenticity actually important to you?
>>
>>378314914
I've mentioned the fact that Kiwami is already out in all of my posts so far holy shit
>>
>>378314760
>Yakuza 0 devs couldn't really travel back in time and ask 80's models to shoot some scenes for their game

>What is research, hair and make up x filters
>>
>>378314914
No, these games are not about period authenticity, they merely have some throwbacks and that's it.
If someone wants a period authentic game they would need to make one and advertise it that way since I don't remember any game being like that.
>>
>>378314987
Does it really fucking matter what the girls look like? Is this really something worth complaining about?
>>
>>378314971
I KNOW ITS OUT anon. My question is kind of hypothetical. IF we saw more like it, would authenticity be as important to you in a 2000's setting as authenticity in an 80's setting.
>>
>>378314914
I get you OP. 0 does a great job at the 80s aesthetic but they kind of didn't give a fuck for Kiwami. Lots of copy and paste used in it. Still looks great though, $30 cant go wrong
>>
>>378314454
San Andreas was 90s and it came out only two years after VC. Even then it had to specifically hone in on a single area (LA gangster culture) that was uniquely relevant in that era. The San Francisco and Vegas parts of that game could have taken place in the seventies with no noticeable changes to the story.
The 2000s gave everybody access to the internet instead of just geeks, cell phones and terrorism/war stuff.
The 2010s gave people smart phones and tablets. Financial crisis stuff was present in the end of one and the beginning of the other (but, as shown by GTA IV, there isn't much you can really do with it.) Thats pretty much it.
>>
>>378315093
You worded it in the worst way, then. I have no idea what this thread is even about if you're not really talking about Kiwami.

Most games set in the past aren't 100% authentic and don't need to be.
>>
>>378315107
How is the game not authentic when it was made in 2005 and set in 2005?
0 is less authentic since it doesn't have authentic looking city which previous games always had, doesn't have authentic 80's music and pretty much everything related to the 80's was exaggerated to stand out more?
Going that way I could say that 0 is a copy paste of 5 and Ishin since they reuse the assets all the time just like they have been doing since the very first game.
>>
>>378315315
I think he's trying to say that Kiwami takes a lot from Yakuza 1 in particular and ends up looking pretty janky in the process because of the latter coming out in 2005. Kiwami takes a lot of animations from 1, and ends up looking pretty bad and stiff most of the time.
>>
>>378315315
Hmm you right. Guess it's just hard for me to really pinpoint the 00s (fucking nothing)
>>
File: image.jpg (71KB, 1024x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71KB, 1024x499px
>>378312546
I miss the 2000's aesthetics for consumer goods.
>>
>>378315315
Kiwami isn't trying to be authentic in the way 0 was, though. Most games in the 80s didn't look like 0 but still had the same sort of charm, so the same can be said for games made in the 00s.
>>
>>378315431
Well, since you never lived in Japan during the 2000 then no wonder you couldn't pinpoint that.
RGG devs always put typical to the year stuff in their games, be it music or popular actors in that year, plus tons of colabs and advertisements tied to that year.
That's also the reason why you have 80's legendary actors in 0.
>>
>>378312546
What's the point of those games to be authentic when you haven't lived there in that time period in the first place? How would you know that they are authentic?
>>
Wait i thought kiwami was set in the 90s, was already hoping for dat nostalgia when playing it

Life sucks
>>
>>378315727
It is set in the 90's for the first chapter.
After it you have a cutscene where it shows how the city changed over the 10 years.
>>
>>378315719
That attitudes just laziness anon. Its that sort of shit that had people telling us those white rice cakes in Pokemon were "donuts". Even as a 7 year old kid i was like, thats fucking bullshit, i can handle you telling me the fucking truth you assholes.
>>
>>378315719
Some of us aren't 12.
>>
>>378312546
Yakuza 0 was made as literal callback to 80s, so they went heavy on oldschool things and stuff that'd evoke nostalgia.
Yakuza 1 on the other hand was made as "current game" in the 2000s. So if you played it back in the day it really felt like game set in modern times, but looking back to it now it's not as explicitly dated to certain period as Zero is.
>>
>>378315946
No it doesn't, the guy can't tell if the game is authentic or not and makes an autistic thread about "What if???"
And Yakuza 1 is authentic but for some reason this guy just argues when he haven't played it in the first place.

>>378316003
Nice reading comprehension.
I will try to type it better for your young eyes, so maybe you will understand now.
>What's the point of those games to be authentic when you haven't LIVED (JAPAN) THERE in that time period in the first place? How would you know that they are authentic?
>>
>>378316101
>but looking back to it now it's not as explicitly dated to certain period as Zero is.

But it fucking is. It's literally 2005. This was the entire point of this thread. How anons can be just like "oh 2005 is basically 2017 anyway right?"

No.
>>
>>378316262
>you havn't lived there anyway

Incidental. That not a good enough reason for the devs to be lazy, not saying they have been in Kiwamis case at all, but you are making the case its not important. I think it is.
>>
Did Saejima really get robbed by a Kappa?
>>
>>378316101
Yes, and that's why 0 is less authentic because it uses exaggerated view of 80's to "invoke nostalgia" in you.
The reason why you feel it that way is because you never lived there and just catch the typical generic """80's"""" shit in that game where you can't pinpoint anything from 2000 Japan simply because you haven't lived and experienced it at that time and you don't care enough to do some research on how it looked like.
>>
File: image.jpg (28KB, 236x324px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
28KB, 236x324px
>>378316746
>enough to do some research on how it looked like.

It looked fucking great in the 1980's for sure. But you do actually make a realy good point about nostalgia pandering actually anon. By default Kiwami should be more authentic to the 2000's than 0 to the 80's because thry probably didn't have to try so hard when making a carbon copy of 1.
>>
>>378316746
Yeah, so to answer OPs question, Kiwami will not feel similar to Zero.
>>
>>378314810
This question every single fucking thread. Yes it's a good starting point go play it.
>>
>>378317427
On the one hand if you ARE a Yakuza 0 babby the dynamic with Nishkiyama in 1/Kiwami will feel more real to you given the focus on him in Yakuza 0.

In the other hand you will do yourself a diservice when THIS starts playing at the very end and it holds NO relevance to you:

https://youtu.be/2O4YXW-GmGI

Who else of you old fags here got fucking chills at the end of zero when that came in??
>>
>>378317651
Just let retards play whatever they want.
They come to a fucking VIDEO GAMES board and complain if they should play video games or just jump into some youtube hyped game without knowing anything about the series.
>>
>>378312546
GTA series would be great in non-modern settings like Red Dead Redemption. I would have loved a 1920s or Victorian era setting instead of constant modern settings. It would be what AC series should have been.
>>
>>378319020
I LOVED AC syndicate because i am from a Bong City that is STILL very Victorian. When playing it i was like "oh shit, all these rooftop architectures look like my home"
>>
>>378316674
Anything in the main games is canon and all substories in them are canon, so yes.
>Amon keeps getting beaten year after year and concocts even sillier plans to beat Kiryu on top of getting his brothers or whatever to jump you as well.
>Not only can't he beat him year after year he continues to gloat.
Every time with that guy. The fact he basically hunted not-Doc Brown down to make a device that lets him fight Kiryu in his mind so he could beat Kiryu is hilarious.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.