[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ideas for horror games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1476067232170.jpg (219KB, 1242x950px) Image search: [Google]
1476067232170.jpg
219KB, 1242x950px
I'm interested in horror and wondering if there are any games that truly disturb you. What do you think makes for a good horror game? I don't think I've played a game that I found truly scary. When I think of horror movies, here are things that disturb me:

>being able to put yourself in the characters' shoes - or more accurately, being unable to NOT do so
>forced torture
>bizarre/grotesque body modifications that make your skin crawl just by looking at it
>death not being an option right away - death is often the easy way out, and it's disturbing when characters are trapped in perpetual agony and discomfort
>characters that straddle the line between reasonable and insane

and a bunch of other tropes I can't think of right now

Just curious if there are any games that fit the bill or really disturbed you long after you played them
>>
What kind of horror?

If you want heart-pounding terror, git gud at Pac-man. Classic arcade emulation only.
>>
A game where it shows what it's like to be black un todays society. Maybe you could be a black woman trapped in a town with heavy Republican influence. Id buy it day one and I'm not even black lol.
>>
Games like outlast should have a system where when you are caught you dont die but they take you and drag you either to a central jail you escape from thats randomized each time or one for the area.

They would also have a chance to torture you and any injuries you get would carry through the game and impact the player.
>>
Phantom Gate

Part of it is atmosphere, with things just creeping into and out of view. Part of it is the story/setting, being unclear on exactly what is going on. Part of it is being required to explore, but being uncertain of what new thing might be hiding around the corner. But the biggest part is certainly being forced to throw yourself into some obviously negative situations. The most effective points of dread are when you know what you have to do, you know it is going to be bad, but you are forced into doing it anyways - forcing the player to actively impose that on themselves is, for me, the most effectively.

Jumpscares are just temporary and a cheap trick. Aaaah, oooga boooga, but it's just the game pulling something on its own. It's as scary as a cheap horror movie, and is less impressive.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnXj-tZUvdA

I know the Saw franchise is seen as shitty but I find this scene incredibly disturbing. If there were games where you actually had to make these kinds of decisions it would really scare me. The whole time you would have to listen to the people begging and arguing.
>>
>>378275238
>outlast being next level

and no silent hill on the list,this has to be bait

(over all good list tho)
>>
>>378273412
A free roam game where you're the last human on Earth, it has some time skips and your character slowly goes crazy.

There's no per-established story so you can properly put yourself in the character's place. You wake up and there's nobody, you can explore and do whatever you want. As the time skips certain lengths you start to hear things and everything grows more ominous but nothing actually changes. Difficulties would gauge how horrible things would get and how quickly they would escalate, your survival time is based on how long you can deal with it, there is no pausing.
>>
>>378276746
pre-established*

Whoops.
>>
>>378275238
>outlast
>scary
>>
>>378276746
There is no half assing this as some kinda indie concept either.

You either go all out or it's trash like any other horror.
>>
>>378275568
Oh god. It's just like those games where all the girls stop talking to you once you pick your waifu
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.