/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is the Space Sim genre dead? Is there anything that can revive it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: tachyon-05.png (904KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
tachyon-05.png
904KB, 2560x1440px
Why is the Space Sim genre dead? Is there anything that can revive it?
>>
>>378255087
Space sims were a genre that was relatively 'easy' to develop while at the same time delivering high quality graphics. This made them relatively high profile, as they were AAA titles. Also, joysticks were a common peripheral used by all kinds of genres.

Nowadays space sims don't look better than other games any more, and people don't commonly own joysticks. That's why they're a niche.
>>
File: DUDE DUBSTEP GUN LMAO.jpg (122KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DUDE DUBSTEP GUN LMAO.jpg
122KB, 1920x1080px
>>378255420
But mouse+kb works fine I guess for many of them, FreeSpace 2 worked great with m+kb, and that game had like a shitload of key bindings,

In fact, fuck you Volition, your randumb open world games are shit, your red faction games are fucking dull garbage.
>>
Because they are trying to be huge MMOs and push the scale to a meaningless level where content is just procedurally generated, copy-paste ennui.
>>
Say, anon, what would the space game of your dreams be like?
>>
>>378256545
Freelancer + Freespace 2, maybe with economy more developed. I tried X3 multiple releases, but the combat of that game is fucking shit.
>>
Cause PC has most of the audience for the genre and they don't buy games.
>>
>>378256687
>Freelancer + Freespace 2
What features did you like in those?
>>
>>378256718
Combat/dogfighting of FreeSpace 2, the local ship damage of FS2, such as being able to damage the engines of a big ship if you aim there, and so on, but instead of being mission based, it will be an open world with tons of stations and shit to explore, trade and whatnot. Basically merge the best of both worlds.
>>
>>378256545
>>378256687
Honestly I would just like Freespace 3. (without casualization)
>>
>>378255863
>FreeSpace 2 worked great with m+kb
Why have I been hearing this meme more and more lately.
It's blatantly false, and it's one of the biggest reasons the game flopped.
>>
>>378257101
How it didn't? I played it recently with m+kb and it worked great. Could do whatever I wanted to in it. The tutorials explaining how to use all the different target buttons and shit helped, that game has GOAT tutorials, perhaps the best learning curve in vidya, I never felt overwhelmed despite the amount of keys you gotta use in it.
>>
>>378257369
Because flying with the mouse is clunky and just works horribly compared to joystick. Holding a turn for extended amounts of time is janky and weird. Plus at the end of the day it's massively less fun.

To note though, you're completely right about the tutorials and learning curve, but that's just as true for joystick. It's a Joystick + Keyboard game, not a HOTAS game.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.