[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turn Based Videogames. Battle Brothers Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

Get the fuck in here.

This game really gives me a Berserk vibe.
>>
Battle Brothers is a pretty fun game, although it's unrelenting as fuck. I save-scum through all of it and I still just barely hold on. My group is full of old cripples valiantly holding out against the hordes.
>>
>>378227227
Havent played this in a while, did the 1.1 patch come out yet?
>>
>>378227674
This game made me learn to love them old crippled veterans.

I save scum only for the terrain. If someone dies, he's dead. Xcom taught me to let go.

>>378227827
I don't know. I discovered just a few days ago.
>>
>>378229361
But in XCom, you get to keep great equipment and your base upgrades and you can easily hire rookies to replace those lost. In Battle Brothers, the losses are so much worse.
>>
>>378227227
The artstyle is dogshit. The game is stale, uninspired dogshit as well and brings nothing new to the genre. There's a reason this shit will never even break 100k copies sold when actually good SRPGs sell 2-2.5 times that.
>>
>>378229620
When your mercs die, they usually drop the gear, right? At least the weapons.

>>378229635
Recommend other games. This is a TBS thread, not an exclusively BB one.
>>
File: 1495595883782.gif (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1495595883782.gif
3MB, 720x540px
>>378229869
Darkest Dungeon if you havent played it. DLC soon
>>
File: SRPGs.png (1MB, 954x834px) Image search: [Google]
SRPGs.png
1MB, 954x834px
>>378229869
>Recommend other games.
Picrelated are the ones I'm playing.
>>
>>378229869
Not if you play on Expert, which is what my dumb ass is doing.

>>378230292
Darkest Dungeon is incredibly boring. Such a waste of a great concept and good artstyle on a terrible grindfest that doesn't even have a failstate.
>>
>>378230292
>darkest dungeon
>not a terrible artstyle
>>
>>378230292
Duly noted. Does this motherfucker EVER go on sale?

>>378230378
I own Boston Lockdown, is it actually good?

>>378230382
>Not if you play on Expert, which is what my dumb ass is doing.
Why would you do that to yourself? Have really gotten that good?
>>
>>378230382
>He has to grind

Git gud
>>
>>378230625
As I said, I'm savescumming all the way through it. Still pretty challenging, though.
>>
Even pumping up melee and ranged defences on all my guys, it always feels like every enemy in the game has like 90% chance to hit me, and all my ranged guys are sitting at like 40%. Shit's weak

Also fuck goblins, and fuck goblin shamans
>>
File: SRBL.png (508KB, 1000x646px) Image search: [Google]
SRBL.png
508KB, 1000x646px
>>378230625
>I own Boston Lockdown, is it actually good?
I like it, because it's hard as fuck. The Infected missions are some of the hardest missions seen in SRPGs ever and are borderline impossible to complete without a shitload of tries that fore you to learn every nuance or a properly geared and specced team of 4 human players.

Also, this fucking achievement is hell on Earth to get, FUCK.
>>
>>378230378
Mordheims combat is fucking fantastic, but there is a flaw that completely ruins the game. And its not the "unfair RNG", that shit can be managed fairly easily, its the lack of environment variety, the fact that it all takes place in a city and every map looks more or less the same makes the game feel incredibly repetitive. A damn shame.
>>
>>378230625
Wait, forget that. DD is 50% off on the humble store.

>>378230812
I started on veteran, but returned to Beginner for my first run because I was getting raped pretty hard by the undead.

>>378230882
That doesn't sound exactly fun to me, but I'll give it a try.
>>
>>378230963
an editor would have been great with mordheim. there are a lot of variants and other factions for tabletop mordheim that will never be brought to the game as developments pretty much done.
>>
>>378230963
>its the lack of environment variety, the fact that it all takes place in a city and every map looks more or less the same makes the game feel incredibly repetitive.
Just play the faction campaigns and grind less in the random skirmishes, nigga. Once you get a Warband to lvl5, you can start a new warband at lvl5 straight from the beginning, which means you have access to the full roster of units, which, in turn, dramatically reduces the time you have to spend outside of story missions to level and gear yourself up to play the said story missions.

Of course, if you spend 100 hours just play fucking skirmishes, it might get boring due to lack of environmental variety, but the gameplay mechanics that are arguably the best in the genre more than make up for it.
>>
I've played 25 hours of it. After a while it gets kinda repetitive. Also the difficulty fucking skyrockets. If you don't save whore you're bound to get fucked over. That being said I still enjoyed playing it for the most part.
>>
>>378231229
I know I know, but Id like to have seen some very different environments like forests, snowy areas with natural fog, countrysides and dungeons etc. Also you kindof need to to the skirmishes if I recall, for the funding quests and for currency in general.
>>
>>378231665
>forests, snowy areas with natural fog, countrysides and dungeons
Dungeons would be great, but everything else doesn't exactly fit the intended atmosphere of the setting. Mordheim is supposed to be a fuckhuge, claustrophobic hellhole full of narrow streets and chaos/wyrdstone corruption. The game conveys this atmosphere pretty well, but some more overall variety in buildings would be nice, I agree,

Also, yeah, you need to do some skirmishes to deliver wyrdstone, but the number of missions you absolutely have to play before you're ready for a story mission is not really THAT big to bore someone out, IMO.
>>
>>378232048
I know but this is the problem, because its based on a board game it is incredibly limited with what it can actually do with itself, because it must stick to the confines of the games setting and rules.
Someone should rip it off, in the same way X-com combat has been aped so many times, the combat system is fantastic and more strategic than most games in the genre.
>>
>>378232615
A game with Mordheim mechanics in a different setting would be great, simply because Mordheim core mechanics are great, so yeah, I agree with you.
>>
>>378232048
>>378232860
I never played Mordheim. What sets it aside? What makes it so good?
>>
File: 20170119001313_1.jpg (458KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170119001313_1.jpg
458KB, 1920x1080px
>>378233724
>What sets it aside? What makes it so good?
Core gameplay mechanics. Simply put: the game has every gameplay related mechanic that enhances tactical depth you can think of. Also, your team functional customization (i.e. stat, skills, weapons, overall team composition and other stuff) and general Warhammer Fantasy atmosphere and aesthetics.
>>
>>378234279
I'll pick it up whenever I can then. Thanks.
>>
>>378234579
A word of warning: the game is slow to start from scratch and does not forgive any mistakes, since it features NO OTHER GAMEPLAY MODE THAN IRONMAN. I cannot stress this enough: if you're used to savescumming, the game will either make a proper turn based tactician out of you or break your will to play it further.
>>
>>378234842
It's ok. I was born a masochist and tend to play ironman anyway. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>378227227
>rng "tactics" where the grind is unbearableliterally one dude with enough stats and gear can rek everything
no thank you
>>
>>378234984
Gib recommendations, senpai. I'm oxidizing.
>>
File: 1468519285484.jpg (603KB, 1080x1499px) Image search: [Google]
1468519285484.jpg
603KB, 1080x1499px
Can someone recommend me a turn-based tactic game where I start out with one or two losers but by the end have a massive army rolling around?

Starsector comes to mind but is there anything else? Preferably involving characters.
>>
>>378235174
Is 12 fighters considered massive? Because if so, you have Battle Brothers.
>>
>>378235174
In BB you start with 3 guys after losing a battle and can grow it up to 12 (+8 in the reserve).

The Dawn of War II Campaigns comes to mind, but that's probably not what you're looking for.
>>
>>378234842
Heres something you need to tell literally everyone starting, or they will call the game RNG and unfair. DO NOT equip your basic units with big weapons till they are levelled up, and level up the "dodge" skill so it is at at least 50% chance, do this for everyone, investing in damage is fucking worthless if they die constantly, you need to be able to actually avoid being hit, even if it means doing less damage for a while. Equip one handed weapons for a while with no offhand so as to increase your dodge chance.

Having something to actually level up early on is key, you dont want to have all your party having missing limbs and brain damage within a few days.
>>
>>378235174
Seems like that would be pretty difficult to balance properly.
>>
>>378235253
>>378235406

Maybe, not a huge fan of the visuals, but I might give it a go.

I've already played through DoW2, which isn't turn-based, but still good.
>>
>>378235502
Why people don't like the aesthetic of the game? I specially like how they look when damaged. Scars and damaged gear look nice.

And I forgot we were talking about TBS. Age of Wonders III maybe?
>>
I didn't find Battle Brothers that impressive. Good music, fairly fun gameplay (if somewhat lacking in content) and sub-par visuals.

6/10
>>
>>378235682

AoWIII is great, but it's more of a Civ game, the turn-based combat is okay but nothing to right home about.
Still good too, got way to much shit when it came out.
>>
File: 20170525123704_1.jpg (485KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20170525123704_1.jpg
485KB, 1920x1080px
>>378235435
>DO NOT equip your basic units with big weapons till they are levelled up
This is a highly arguably advice. Newbies do not start with enough Offence Points to attack twice with one-handed weapons and do not have enough parry or dodge skill to actually make it count on a regular basis. Thus, equipping all of your newbies with high damaging two-handed axes is a great tactic, that allows you to steamroll early game enemy warbands on pure damage output alone.

Once your units get some levels under their belt and get at least 4 OP, you canst art using shit like shields and one handed weapons, because you will be able to attack twice with them and your damage output will approach that of a two-handed user who will still be able to pull only one attack with 4 OP.

However, once your henchies reach the 5 OP mark, any weapon becomes perfectly viable, since you will be able to attack twice with both a one-hander and a two hander.

>and level up the "dodge" skill so it is at at least 50% chance
This is highly questionable advice, because you're presenting it as a universal piece of advice Some units can be great dodge machines, but others benefit more from parry and armor due to higher weapon skill potential. For example, look at my regular Warrior henchman, who has nearly maxed out (99%) parry and can block TWICE per turn with Web of Steel.

TL;DR: there is no universal "do this to win" advice for Mordheim, because factions and individual units are different, so you have to come up with different builds for different units and even the same unit type usually has at least 2 perfectly viable, competitive builds.
>>
>>378236062
Yea Im a huge faggot, completely forgot that the henchmen work completely different for different factions and was speaking in regards to Witchhunters, where they die to sleight gusts of wind.
>>
So since this is about all tbs I'm gonna complain about the new fire emblem. Holy fuck Alm's team is garbage in my run. Python has never leveled speed, Kliff is almost my closest thing to a tank but he needs a shield and is stuck at 10 strength at level 12 so he's not getting any levels, both soldiers are just kinda bad, and finally fucking witches have made me take back everything bad I said about the rewinds. The only upsides for alm are Tobin with the Levin sword, alm himself, and that loli mage with the good starting stats. I just wish I could swap over one of celica's superfluous healing mages.
>>
I've got almost 250 hours on Battle Brothers, starting to feel the burn out. The contracts, towns etc get really repetitive.

If only mod support was a thing. The best thing about BB is the combat system. I can imagine so many different settings for it. Imagine a modern military contractor mod.
>>
>>378236623
I personally really like witch hunters. zealots and templars are great for holding the enemy down while your hunters climb into position to start sniping. Only real warband I don't like is Skaven, way too fragile for me and lots of movement points isn't as helpful when most fights are in corridors that you can't shuffle past.
>>
I don't like how your dudes level cap, and leveling up in general.
You can only level 3 stars at a time but everything except resolve NEEDS to be leveled. And I only say you don't need Resolve because having your standard bearer take the Resolve perks and items mitigates the need for others to take points in Resolve.
>>
>>378236820
I haven't bought the game yet, but 250 hours sounds pretty amazing for the scope of the game and the price m8
>>
File: 1495203619553.png (509KB, 500x665px) Image search: [Google]
1495203619553.png
509KB, 500x665px
>>378237064
>Only real warband I don't like is Skaven
Fuck Skaven, holy shit do I hate playing them, ESPECIALLY when you have to fight fucking vampire cucks who are immune to poison while your dumbfuck rats can't pass any Terror checks for shit. The only thing they're good for is gathering wyrdstone quickly, so you usually end up with more resources gathered per mission, compared to otheer factions, but what good are those resources where every skirmish is a fucking nightmare where you're struggling for survival? Holy shit, just thinking about playing them makes my blood boil.
>>
>>378227227
>Berserk vibes
Already halfway sold, sell the rest to me
>>
>>378237465
you'll get your shit punched
>>
>>378237221
I feel that initivative isn't that important. If it's a +4 than sure take it, but later on when your wearing heavier armor your pretty much always going to be going after gobbos, undead, and orcs even with leveled initiative.
>>
File: 1462248227071.jpg (11KB, 270x281px) Image search: [Google]
1462248227071.jpg
11KB, 270x281px
>>378237064
>using hobos to hold down an enemies strongest units as Witchunters
Also Skaven feel like they are suppose to be reckless, each unit is disposable, like they should do everything they can to punish and if you lose a unit just replace them with a new one, because of their bonus for scavenging and movement speed they can easily kit out units in the strongest gear because of how much currency they aquire. Then Vampire Counts show up and the game becomes a survival horror
>>
>>378227227
/brog/ when?
>>
>>378236820
Hell, if I get 250 hours of a game I'd say I got the Good Ending.

>>378237465
You manage your band of mercenaries and get your shit pushed by men and beasts alike.

You can go to the "Barber" and customise your bros' appearance a bit, so you can do some roleplaying.
>>
>>378237249
desu it actually starts to get repetitive around 150+ hours

My hours are inflated because I kept rolling new companies and starting from scratch instead of persisting with one.

Still happy with my purchase though. When you start to figure out the mechanics and how to defeat different species of enemies you start believing in your ragtag bunch of murder hobos.
>>
>>378238194
It costs 30 bucks so 150 hours is amazing
Like I said I haven't bought it yet, but from what I can tell it's a very simple concept so it getting repetitive after such a long time is still great
>>
File: wyrdston rush.jpg (656KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
wyrdston rush.jpg
656KB, 1920x1080px
>wyrdstone rush
>enemy spawns scattered while I deploy around wagon which was placed a turn away from all this wyrstone
>>
>>378230378
Hard West feels like it lacks options in combat. 90% of the time it feels like the best option is to just position and shoot.

Maybe X-com spoiled me in wanting other things to do.
>>
>>378237221
You need life and fatigue to a certain point, and then attack + defense.

Which is why brothers of a good background (sellswords, squires, hedge knights etc) are in demand because they start out with great stats to begin with,
>>
>>378236820
But the reason Battle Brothers is so good is because of its varied melee weapons.

With a modern setting with a lot of different guns, how would that work?
>>
>>378236820
wow i burned out after 25 because of those reasons
>>
>>378234842
> since it features NO OTHER GAMEPLAY MODE THAN IRONMAN

I was completely fine with this until a I did a story mission and a bug made some bombs necessary to clear it disappear. I ragequit and never started the game again.
>>
>>378238816
Different guns, different ammo types, different armor penetration, different effective ranges
>>
>>378236820

They should look to adding battlefields of towns&forts. Adding forts you can manage/establish. Contracts that deal with establishing more settlements in the wild, protecting supplies to them, etc. A general upgrade of world size would be nice and for the love god, it would be nice if not every was a fjord ridden fucking coastland.
>>
>>378238398
You lucked out, nigger. If you play those kind of missions where "one warband deploys tightly around their wagon while the other is randomly scattered", don't come back running with complaints about the game being unfair when it is you gets randomly scattered in the worst manner imaginable. Really, these kind of missions are deathtraps, I only play skirmish missions where both warbands deploy near their wagons.
>>
Played the prre-release beta, but haven't touched it since release.
Did they add anything cool since then?
>>
>>378230292
Dakest Dungeon is so fucking tedious.
Does the new DLC add some variety to not get bored halfway through a playthrough?
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.