[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT games that are wide as an ocean and shallow as a puddle.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 242
Thread images: 20

File: 3.jpg (113KB, 1193x496px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
113KB, 1193x496px
ITT games that are wide as an ocean and shallow as a puddle.
>>
File: header.jpg (84KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
84KB, 460x215px
>>
My vagina.
>>
>>378225767
Every single open world game ever made.
>>
File: BOTW.jpg (237KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
BOTW.jpg
237KB, 1200x630px
>>
>>378225767
Xenoblade X is a game that's complex enough; thing is it was so big and had so much potential that inevitably a number of systems just weren't fleshed out enough. Skell combat, for starters.
>>
>>378226253
Even stuff people praise about the game, like "exploration" is just boring. You're never rewarded for exploring with interesting loot or a new weapon or anything. Just more pretty things in the background to look at.
>>
>>378225767

Pic unrelated? You can go 200 hours in that game and still discover completely new things. Combat isn't shallow either. Skell combat on its own is, but that's just a part of it.
>>
>>378226457
>You can go 200 hours in that game and still discover completely new things.
Maybe if you're extremely unobservant for the first 200 hours.
>Combat isn't shallow either.
It is, everyone just uses the dual guns dual swords infinite overdrive moveset.
>>
File: IMG_1931.jpg (273KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1931.jpg
273KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>378226420
You do get unique materials and weapons from killing the tyrants that inhabit certain areas, though. But yeah, most of the treasures that are scattered around the world don't offer the greatest rewards.
>>
>>378226457
Uh uh uh I can't see you, I can't feel you , I can't smell you ugh ugh ugh scat scat scat. Xcx combat is as shallow as its soundtrack
>>
Uh, the exploration in this game is terrific. Play the game before shitting on it.
>>
>>378226627
>You do get unique materials and weapons from killing the tyrants that inhabit certain areas,
True, but the game's autistic drop rates ruin that. You have to one-shot a tyrant dozens of times just hoping that THIS TIME you'll get the weapon with the attributes you want.
>>
>>378226750
>exploration
AKA walking around looking at pretty things. Where is the gameplay??
>>
File: concept1_low.jpg (1MB, 2300x1294px) Image search: [Google]
concept1_low.jpg
1MB, 2300x1294px
>>
>>378226865
The gameplay is when Uncontrollable starts to blast through your ears.
>>
>>378226769
That's also true, but not for every tyrant in the game.

Let's face it, the first Xenoblade was paced much more nicely. There was ridiculous gap between the end of the main story and endgame content. And the unique monsters didn't have ridiculously low drop rates for good gear and level 10 skill books.
>>
>That battle system
>Shallow as a puddle

what
>>
>>378227102
*There was no ridiculous gap, I meant
>>
>>378226593
>Dual guns dual swords
>Not 2guns kat
>>
>>378227194
Dual guns + longsword makes every battle trivial.
>>
>>378226593

>Combat is shallow because I just followed a guide telling me exactly how to play instead of actually playing

Do you realize how retarded you are
>>
>>378225767
>A better Zelda Botw without "Zelda" branding so it's shit
>>
>>378227298
Having an optimum solution doesn't mean the systems aren't inherently complex.
>>
>>378226642

So the opposite of shallow then? XCX's soundtrack is one of the most inspired in recent memory. It's no Nier Automata but it's not far behind. Not the game's fault you have no musical comprehension and only remember the shitty town rap.
>>
The king of the open world meme turning a good game to shit. I defy anyone to think of a more pointless, empty open world. It was the worst possible thing the devs could have done with it.
>>
>>378227298
Zelda has 10x slower witch time

but it's "Zelda" so it's gotw 10/10
>>
>>378227298
>game has an easy mode with handicaps option, therefore the game is inherently shallow.
>>
>>378226008
This
>>
File: 1494386386277.jpg (112KB, 550x652px) Image search: [Google]
1494386386277.jpg
112KB, 550x652px
>>378225767
Skyrim, Farcry 3&4, Breath of the Wild, The uncharted series, Bioshock infinite, The last of us...There's so many
>>
>>378227102
>first Xenoblade was paced much more nicely.

yeah because your target audience is 12 years old
>>
>>378228026
>>game has an easy mode
Its a class retard. Not a difficulty setting.
>>
File: NieR-Automata_2016_11-01-16_004.jpg (344KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
NieR-Automata_2016_11-01-16_004.jpg
344KB, 1024x1024px
>>
>>378227416
>>Combat is shallow because I just followed a guide
No I didn't. Anyone who knows anything about min maxing or optimizing wouldn't need a guide. We're not all retarded like you.
>>
>>378227454
>>A better Zelda Botw
How is it "better"?
XCX has no interaction with the environment like BOTW does. XCX is all just static set pieces that don't change.
BOTW also has action combat which is automatically better than hotbar cooldown combat.
>>378227717
>Zelda has 10x slower witch time
That you have to dodge to pull off. Are you retarded?
>>
>>378228280
Whatever the fuck do you mean?
>>
>>378228280
XCX's target audience is also 12 years old so not sure what you're trying to prove. The story is literally a shitty saturday morning mecha cartoon.
>>
File: Doom_cover_art.jpg (38KB, 256x380px) Image search: [Google]
Doom_cover_art.jpg
38KB, 256x380px
>>378225767
>>
File: 4 more years.png (120KB, 400x416px) Image search: [Google]
4 more years.png
120KB, 400x416px
>>378225767
Should I wait until Nintendo inevitably makes a remaster on the switch?
>>
File: IMG_20170526_161643.jpg (87KB, 593x744px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170526_161643.jpg
87KB, 593x744px
>>378227558
>inspired

The soundtrack is one of the most mawkish OSTs I've ever heard in a JRPG before.
>>
>>378229189
They are not going to port a niche game like Xenoblade X.
Remember that TP sold gangbusters on Wii, and they still didn't port niche games from gamecube.
>>
>>378228604

You are a lying faggot. No one just happens upon the most autistically minmaxed setup in the game, especially since it's in no way evident that it's that effective until you already have it set up. Maybe after maxing all the classes hundreds of hours into the game you might discover it by yourself, but only a retard like you would claim that the previous 250 hours were invalidated because you COULD have cheesed most of them with that specific setup.

Not to mention minmaxing a single player game is fucking autistic in the first place and automatically invalidates your opinion.
>>
>>378225767
>>378225861
>>378226008
top 3 answers, I would've also added MGSV
>>
File: fucking degenerate.jpg (20KB, 283x447px) Image search: [Google]
fucking degenerate.jpg
20KB, 283x447px
>>378227558
>XCX's soundtrack is one of the most inspired in recent memory

holy shit put on a fucking trip so I can disregard the rest of your posts too

the entire game was fucking shitty engrish anime jpop trash
>>
>>378229347
>No one just happens upon the most autistically minmaxed setup in the game,
Its not that hard to figure out anon. You just have to exploit potential and craft a few augments. Sorry you were too dumb to figure it out.
>Not to mention minmaxing a single player game is fucking autistic in the first place
Yeah because intentionally gimping yourself makes so much sense huh
>>
>>378225767
Daggerfall is literally as wide as an ocean and as shallow as a puddle
>>
Why does having an optimum solution make a combat system shallow again?

XBCX's combat system is literally one of the most complex out there. It's just solved
>>
File: 1494369843555.jpg (99KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1494369843555.jpg
99KB, 768x1024px
Meh. I enjoyed it.
>>
>>378228774

Zelda certainly has better core gameplay, but what's the fucking point when there are only about ten enemy types in the whole game, only one of which provides a challenge, and the entire massive world is almost completely devoid of unique stuff to find? It's just an endless parade of identical-looking shrines, and even the few sights that seem special the first time, like the dragons and labyrinths, turn out to be copypasted to hell and back and also turn out to just amount to more fucking shrines.

In Xenoblade, when you climb a new mountain you can expect to actually find something new at the top. Even after playing for hundreds of hours. And yes, that new thing is usually just either a new huge monster or a unique looking location, but that's literally all a game like this needs.
>>
Elite Dangerous, the space parking simulator
>>
>>378229658

I am statistically almost guaranteed to be smarter than you. You believe yourself clever because you found the most efficient way to ruin the game experience for yourself and ensure that you aren't having ANY fun whatsoever. Congratulations. Meanwhile, I am smart enough to ensure the game was constantly a rewarding challenge despite knowing I could make it otherwise.

I got Skells 80 hours into the game, got the flight module about 160 hours into the game and beat the game with the level 20 starting Skell while my characters were 15 levels below that of the bosses, without using any "cheese" playstyles. It was an extremely strategically and tactically challenging endeavor. And thanks to intentionally delaying the upgrading of my traversal options, I made exploration far more rewarding as well. In short, I maximized the fun of an already good game. You minimized it. And you think you are smart?
>>
>>378229981
>there are only about ten enemy types in the whole game
>and the entire massive world is almost completely devoid of unique stuff to find?
Both of these are true for Xenoblade X. X has no fun hidden secrets.
>>
>>378230767
>beat the game with the level 20 starting Skell while my characters were 15 levels below that of the bosses,
So in other words you literally did none of the sidequests and were underleveled because of it.
>>
>>378229882
It was solved literally the day the game came out.
Why would you gimp yourself when there's better options available? You're just making it harder to advance the story.
>>
>>378226008
ehhhhhhhh
I dunno
>>
>>378230816

If finding lovecraftian horrors deep in some unholy crevice of the earth isn't your idea of fun, I pity you.
>>
>>378229981
>And yes, that new thing is usually just either a new huge monster or a unique looking location, but that's literally all a game like this needs.
Isn't that what you find in BOTW too? How is it different?
>>
>>378231091
>If finding lovecraftian horrors deep in some unholy crevice of the earth
And when exactly does this occur? The only one I can think of is that big motherfucker in Oblivia's chasm.
And even then, when you find it you just one-shot it with your Skell superweapon. It's not very fun.
>>
>>378230903

I did all the sidequests in the game. However, I was constantly calculating how to maximize the depth and challenge of the combat at any given time, as I always am. So I mentally sorted the sidequests hierarchically so that I would always be underleveled for each of them as well as the main story, saving the ones that would give me too much exp for later when that exp is no longer significant, but prioritizing those I felt would expand the lore of the game world or give me tools that increase the depth of the gameplay without cheapening it, such as new abilities. This is just something I do mentally in passing, it's not like I autistically write stuff down or obsess over it. Of course, a decent chunk of the sidequests were left for after completing the main story since I otherwise wouldn't have been able to be underleveled.

What basal idiots like you do: Grind the fuck out of everything, compulsively complete every sidequest right away, and as soon as you get to endgame, grind and minmax the best loadout you can think of/read about online, then cheese all the endgame bosses in the easiest way possible. I bet you killed all the superbosses with the meme Skell too.
>>
File: 260px-TWW_US_Box.jpg (19KB, 260x369px) Image search: [Google]
260px-TWW_US_Box.jpg
19KB, 260x369px
Literally
>>
>>378225767
>witcher 3
>>
>>378231102

BotW has no unique monsters and barely any unique locations. Each type of "big monster" is reused at least 20 times, and the game uses the same textures and environmental objects over and over and over.

That's the fucking difference. Zelda is exciting for the first 20 hours, but then you've seen literally everything and the remaining 100 hours is just copypaste. Xenoblade has almost no copypaste - each of the hundreds of locations is memorable and unique, with its own flora and fauna that isn't seen anywhere else in the game.
>>
>>378231208

>This is what the experience was like for really stupid/autistic people who played Xenoblade X

I pity you.
>>
>>378232229
By the 20 hour mark I had at least visited every location, and be honest, most of the tyrants are just recolors, not unique enemies.
Most of its environment isn't all that unique either.
>>
>>378226008
That's stretching it. You don't really figure out that the game is only shrines and korok seeds until well over 100 hours which I think is pretty good. They couldve definitely made more to do though.
>>
>>378232384
And what did you do differently?
>>
>>378231208

There's at least a dozen different creatures like that hidden away. The one you're talking about isn't even hidden whatsoever, you should be finding that 10 hours into the game even without looking. Sounds like you completely failed to explore, and then, like the other guy in this thread if he's not you, completely ruined all fun in the game by autistically grinding out the strongest cheese setup and just one shotting everything without even trying to actually fight stuff properly.
>>
>>378226420
>exp for exploration
>New areas have different collectibles
>beautiful scenery
>different enemies

what else could they have possibly added
>>
>>378232650
>>exp for exploration
You get like 10 exp points for new locations. That's hardly even worth mentioning.
>>New areas have different collectibles
They're all blue orbs.
>>
>>378232396

By the 20 hour mark I hadn't even left Primordia. You may have gone to all the continents, but you sure as hell hadn't actually explored them. And no, flying over them with your skell doesn't count. You shouldn't even be unlocking that until you've seen as much as possible on foot.
>>
>>378232524
>You don't really figure out that the game is only shrines and korok seeds until well over 100 hours

Now that's stretching it.
>>
>>378232647
>There's at least a dozen different creatures like that hidden away.
There's Lugalbanda and what else? People always mention the black Almandal but that one is hardly hidden
>>
>>378232647
>autistically grinding out the strongest cheese setup
But you don't even need to grind, that's the point.
>>
>>378231991
they should make TWW2 with explorable seabed and submarines
>>
>>378226420
Why would you do that?
Just... go on the internet and start telling lies?

Exploring lets you get new quick travel points. Exploring gets you neat side areas like the cave with the fuckhuge asshole guarding a lootbox and 50 million item crystals surrounding him. Hell there are a lot of areas that seem like they're gated off by needing a skell or needing flight at first, but with adequate mountaingoating skills, are still accessible well before you actually get those. Exploring gets you cosmetics. Exploring gets you bigger and better probes to more efficiently chain your system together (to the point that, if I had not been as big on exploring, I would probably have been woefully underprepared for those quests that demand that you have a certain minimum income from probes). Exploring gets you rare item crystals well before you need them - nearly EVERY SINGLE QUEST that asked me to get certain item crystals, while everyone else was complaining about fetch quests, I already had 20 of every item asked of me.
>>
>>378232524
It took you over 100 hours to figure that out, how wtf were you doing the whole time to not notice it
>>
>>378233474
>Exploring gets you cosmetics.
No, sidequests do that.
And I HATE the blue crystal shit. I just want to walk around. Seeing those blue crystals everywhere is basically railroading me to follow that path.
It's especially bad when I try to do replays because in my mind I think I shouldnt be bothering with that crap but I'm still missing materials.
>>
>>378228861
Yeah, the story involving cleansing the aliens from the city, bombing civilians, poisoning the water supply, addiction, civil war, and suicide is literally a shitty saturday morning mecha cartoon.

Like holy fuck, the "main story" isn't actually the focus of the game. It's a progression and time gate, and nothing more. This is an open world RPG you fucksticks, the value is in the sidequests.
>>
>>378233731
You can list all of that stuff as if it means anything, but it's still presented in a way meant for children to digest.
>>
>>378233713
Sidequests do that also, but you can and do also get them from exploring. There's several actionables out there that have shit like devil or oni horns or cat ears.
>>
>>378226617
>had more content than games like PUBG on release
>PUBG gets shilled here constantly by /v/irgins
>>
>>378232901

I haven't played in a long time so I don't remember all the names but in addition to the 3 already mentioned there's

>Telethia
>Trueno
>Elvira
>Pharsis
>Headless Emperor
>The Strongest Prone guy
>The sphinxes
>Atreides and its mate
>Leva'el or whatever it was called
>The dragon in the volcano
>The titan with the 2 sheep
>Various unique mechs
>The flier in the thunderstorm in Noctilum

Just to name a few off the top of my head. Yes, most of these aren't *completely* unique models, but it still makes for a TON of different ones, and they all have unique abilities and gimmicks that set them apart. Most of them also only share models with one or two other Tyrants you might not even find, they're not just upscaled regular enemies. And then there's a ton of huge impressive creatures that, while they become common later on, still invoke a sense of wonder the first few times, like Xe-Doms, the bioluminescent fliers or the huge dinosaurs.

Meanwhile in Zelda there's

>Hinox
>Talus
>Molduga (lol)
>Lynel
>Guardians I guess

And that's literally it. You meet all of these in the first 10 hours and after that, there's no more interesting enemies to find.
>>
>>378233827
Oh and while we're discussing that.
The BLADE level shit is retarded. The whole game is about being able to go where you want if you're adequately prepared.
It makes no sense at all that I can find a probe spot or a chest early, and the game just says "lol come back later faggot"
It goes against the entire philosophy of the game. It's like XC having that shit that made enemies who are 5 levels above you invincible.
>>
>>378233821
Children can digest a lot easier than people give them credit for, so that's not actually saying a whole lot. Just because they can doesn't mean the game is specifically designed with them in mind, especially when the game is not actually rated for children.
>>
>>378233012

You need to grind a fuckton to get a superweapon that can oneshot an endgame tyrant, don't fucking lie.

Yes, you can get them relatively quick by abusing the online facets, but it's still grinding, it's just a cheaty way to grind because it's not supposed to be that easy to get all those rare materials.
>>
>>378233971
I can agree with your general point but it's a bit dishonest to act like the Headless Emperor and Strongest Prone are unique enemies.
>>
>>378234109
>You need to grind a fuckton to get a superweapon that can oneshot an endgame tyrant,
You really don't though. Just need some first attack and Slayer augments. Maybe a few negate resist if you need it.
>>
>>378233996
While it is retarded logically, mechanically it's not really. It's pretty fair that you can access the majority of the game from the onset, but some of the better stuff has been limited so as to give you a reason to go back to areas later when you're stronger and further into the game. When you consider that some of those actionables contain blueprints for Skell Superweapons or decently strong augments, it becomes pretty obvious why they wouldn't want you to be able to get this right off the bat.

Part of being adequately prepared is having the skill to do something. Reasoning it out, the reason you can't open a higher level chest earlier is because you don't have enough experience to actually be able to figure out whatever security is locking it down, or the skill to be able to open a wreck without damaging the cargo, or have the requisite sense to be able to sturdily set up a probe in difficult terrain.
>>
>>378234142
>Strongest Prone
The fight was unique at least.
>Summons an army to deal with ghostwalk cheese
>"FIGHT ME ON FOOT FAGGOT"
>>
>>378234142

They're both completely unique fights though. The strongest Prone (Dadaan?) has special battle music and a mini-story to it where his groupies show up to help him out halfway through the fight. The headless emperor is a completely different type of fight from the ones he shares a model with, and if you didn't know that you can cut off the heads of the standard ones, you'd think he did have a unique model. They are both far more unique than, say, each individual type of Hinox in Zelda, which all fight the same way.
>>
>>378227591
What the fuck is wrong with her face?
>>
>>378225767
>>378225861
>>378225917
>>378226008
Look, people who have no idea where gaming is headed and always been headed. I'd suggest you faggots leave the gaming scene if you think open world is hurting games. Any dev that has the money and team will make an open world experience now days.
>>
>>378234236

And those take multiple hours to grind for, anon. And you need to grind for each boss SEPARATELY since Slayer only works on one type of creature.
>>
>>378234862
>And those take multiple hours to grind for
No they don't.
>>
>>378234817
>experience
Maybe they should try making a game instead
>>
>>378225861
The king of this.
>>
>>378235359
Games are experiences, doofus.
>>
>>378233474
>with adequate mountaingoating skills, are still accessible well before you actually get those.
>tfw Xenoblade X is the best 3d Platformer
>>
File: 1443736612965.png (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1443736612965.png
168KB, 400x400px
>>378225767

>XCX
>Not FFXV
>>
>>378225767
>and shallow as a puddle.
Xenoblade Chronicles X is the exact opposite of that though.
>>
>>378234817
It is when people just add it onto their game without any consideration. Open world games now mean large empty levels with nothing interesting to do in them and take forever to get around in, MGSV being the worst example of this.
>>
>>378235518
>tfw getting to divine roost or the volcanic hole in the side of the mountain with all the lava crabs before flight
>tfw walking across thin as fuck lines in the walls just to jump to another thin as fuck line that'll hold you without causing you to drop all the way to the bottom, before jumping to a spike jutting out of the ground and back onto the wall before you can finally walk up onto the ground at the top of the wall proper
>tfw using recovery jumps to cover ground you normally wouldn't expect to be able to
>>
>>378235774
It isn't, it looks complex on the surface but is shallow.
>>
>>378236259
It gets more complex the more you play it.
>>
>>378236292
Not really, you just start abusing overdrive.
>>
>>378233474
>>378235518
>>378236047

Xenoblade X somehow manages to have better mountain climbing than Zelda, a game whose primary focus is fucking mountain climbing.
>>
>>378226420
Is that not the point of exploring? What did you want to do, stick your dick in all the areas?
>>
>>378236339
And even that has a surprising number of ways to utilize it.

>>378236519
I think that's down to a matter of taste. They do mountainclimbing very differently. Being able to stock up on stamina stuff to actually scale several of the areas that you find in XCX would have been really nice.
>>
>>378236617
I want to actually play a game. Not just walk around and look at pretty things.
>>
>see these cool looking mechas?
>you can do MMORPG combat in them
Xenoblade is such a turd.
>>
>>378236695
How do you PLAY exploration? It's not something you can play. Explain to me what you want out of exploration.
>>
>>378236943
Rewards
>>
>>378237046
Those exist. What are you ACTUALLY expecting?
>>
>>378236829

You can climb the mountain in them though, which is what actually matters.
>>
>>378237046
How is unique locations not a reward? What are examples of rewards you want? Weapons and items are dogshit compared to places of wonder.
>>
>>378237159
Don't push me, you midget piece of shit.
>>
>>378237182
>How is unique locations not a reward?
Because the only thing you can do in it is walk around. You can't actually do anything with it gameplay-wise.
I thought /v/ disliked walking simulators?
>>
>>378236829
Skells were so fucking disappointing that I actively refrain from using them in nearly all combat scenarios unless it becomes an actual necessity as with skybound enemies.

Like holy shit there's nothing good about them other that they're fucking transforming mechas.

The weapons = arts system was shit as hell with no synergy between arts like you might see in ground combat and completely clutters up your mech visually to the point that it's all an unrecognizable clusterfuck once you're fully kitted out with each mech's unique silhouette drowned out by arsenal noise, no secondary cooldowns to add that extra layer to combat, the overdrive is a LITERAL RNG SYSTEM--albeit with mechanics for reducing the RNG, but even still.

It's just... why. Why the fuck. It's like it wanted to go back to the original XBC combat, but half assed it and ended up making it way worse. Why didn't it have a system where each mech had their own tree of abilities, but the weapons you equipped determined what abilities you could access? Why didn't they make talent gears? Holy shit I'm fucking mad.

Can't even fucking make them look pretty like I can with Cross.
>>
>>378237442
Are you fucking retarded?

>new enemies with new rewards
>new item crystals
>new actionables for cosmetics, augments, and probes
>new tyrants

Fuck you.
>>
>>378237442
It's not a walking simulator, you explore it. Like I said, what else is there to do in exploration besides walk? Stick your dick in it? Make sculptures out of any rock you find?
>>
File: IMG_2869.jpg (124KB, 400x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2869.jpg
124KB, 400x536px
>>378237580
Even these aren't as fun as actually finding the places themselves.
>tfw finding the Southern Delusian Summit
I will remember it for the rest of my long lived life
>>
>>378237590
>It's not a walking simulator, you explore it. Like I said, what else is there to do in exploration besides walk?
I know you think you're making a point, but the only thing you're doing is proving that most open world games are just walking simulators with no depth
>>
>>378237807
>exploration is a thing
>thats means the entire game is just that one thing
You actually are retarded, okay.
>>
>>378237807
No, my point is that THERE IS NO MORE DEPTH TO BE HAD. Exploration IS walking/flying/swimming. There's no other metaphysical way to do anything but.
>>
>>378237580
>>new item crystals
That look exactly the same as the rest of the crystals.
>>new actionables for cosmetics, augments, and probes
That usually doesn't happen.
>>new tyrants
Most of the time when I find a new tyrant I've already outleveled it. So it's pointless.
>>
>>378237875
>>thats means the entire game is just that one thing
Yeah because so many people love the cool down MMO combat.
>>378237921
Which means that "exploration" as a gameplay device is inherently shit. It's a walking simulator.
>>
>>378237939
The item crystals have images. Yea, they should actually be in the world itself, but you can't expect fucking everything, ESPECIALLY when Monolith Soft has confirmed the bulk of their effort was going into Xenoblade 2, at the same time:
>>
>>378238025
>exploration is inherently shit
I'm sorry you don't find the infinite enjoyment out of exploration that I or other players do anon. I truly, truly pity you.
>>
>>378238159
You seriously get enjoyment out of watching pretty things in the background?
Why not just look up art if that's all you want from it.
>>
>>378237939
>That look exactly the same
What they look like isn't nearly as important as what they are and what they offer, like being able to complete fetch quests in the exact same moment you undertake them, or being able to make new augments, or getting rewards from your Collectopedia.

>That usually doesn't happen.
Just because you say that doesn't make it true. Especially when you consider that every tile on the map has something unique or valuable to do, and even then not all of the tile objectives list everything that is valuable in that tile.

>I've already outleveled it
You haven't outleveled anything if you haven't explored and fought shit along the way, unless you found a small crew of low level enemies and fast traveled to the same area for 50 hours to get levels off of them. Which we both know you didn't.

>>378238025
Given that it's a significant change from what you might expect of hotbar-cooldown gameplay from MMOs, yeah, I'd wager that a lot of people who liked the original Xenoblade and who like Xenoblade X probably do. That doesn't really change that the game isn't as shallow as you're trying to say it is.

>>lol game is just this
>but there's all this other shit too
>>implying people care about or enjoy this one other thing

Your bait is obvious, even if I have taken it regardless.
>>
>>378238467
Why don't you play a text game if you hate looking at things?
>>
>>378238505
>>378238505
>You haven't outleveled anything if you haven't explored and fought shit along the way,
You can easily get overleveled just from the main story and the BLADE board quests.
If I'm level 40, and I find a hidden spot in Noctilum with a level 30 tyrant, its fucking pointless.
>>
>>378238692
Why don't you watch movies if you hate games with actual gameplay and just want to look at pretty backgrounds?
>>
>>378238716
Why are you rushing the gating mechanic then? It's an open world RPG. You're supposed to take your time with it.

Also, yeah, no. The main story progresses in terms of level requirements and boss difficulty way too quickly to be able to overlevel anything but the lamest shit, and considering just how often the main quest demands that you take characters you probably haven't glanced at for the longest time that only makes it more difficult if you haven't been exploring.
>>
XCX has to be the most disappointing sequel of the past gen. What the fuck happened to it?
>>
>>378238808
Why are you acting as if the exploration is the sole point of the game?
>>
>>378238467
I don't watch them, I go to them. I immerse myself in the game, and it feels like I am there myself.
>>
>>378239005
It's not a sequel is what happened to it. It's a spin-off that only used the xenoblade name because it inherited hotbar-cooldown gameplay.
>>
>>378238948
>It's an open world RPG. You're supposed to take your time with it.
That is not fun. Slow is not fun.
>The main story progresses in terms of level requirements and boss difficulty way too quickly to be able to overlevel anything but the lamest shit
No, by the time you finish chapter 9 you can beat 90% of everything in the game.
>>378239065
>it feels like I am there myself.
autism
>>
>>378238808
Because I can't put myself in the movie.
>>
>>378239145
You can't put yourself in the game either, this isn't VR.
>>
File: Witcher 2.png (2MB, 1662x1608px) Image search: [Google]
Witcher 2.png
2MB, 1662x1608px
>>378225861
Agreed,also pic related.
>>
File: header.jpg (42KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
42KB, 460x215px
>>378225767
wide as the universe shallow as a drop of water
>>
>>378239219
Yes I can, vicariously. You make me sorry for you more and more.
>>
>>378239317
Your argument is basically "muh imagination lets me think I'm in the game"
Why can't you do that with a movie?
>>
>>378239131
>autism
Not an argument. I pity you as well, I'd have killed myself if I were you.
>>
>>378239382
I don't control a movie. Lack of agency ruins the immersion.
>>
>>378239421
>>378239509
So I guess this is a game that only appeals to "muh immershun" autists? Guess that's why I didn't like it. My old roommate was just like you guys and his taste in games was abysmal.
>>
>>378232901
Heading into one of those orbs that has a barely visible entrance and finding a superboss that eats planets.
>>
>>378239131
>slow is not fun
Just because you're ADHD doesn't mean slow and relaxing can't be fun.
>>
>>378239630
>using autism as an argument again
Lol, and here I thought we were having a rational debate
>>
>>378239960
No, you're just excusing it because its a Wii U game and it has literally nothing else.
How is taking 10 fucking minutes just to walk somewhere fun.
And it isn't relaxing. Its full of enemies that will fuck you up instantly. That isn't relaxing.
>>
>>378240087
Let me explain like this.
When I replay Bayonetta 2, I can fight the same enemies but try different weapons, different strategies, different accessories, etc.
When I replay Xenoblade X the only merit is "exploring" everything again. And unlike Bayonetta, which can change between playthroughs, you can only explore something in one way. Its boring and one dimensional and has no depth at all.
"exploration" from a gameplay standpoint rarely has any merit, and it definitely doesn't have any in Xenoblade X.
>>
File: 3094163-ffxv1.jpg (232KB, 962x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3094163-ffxv1.jpg
232KB, 962x1200px
>>
>>378240119
>How is taking 10 fucking minutes just to walk somewhere fun.
There are quick travel points EVERYWHERE. Walking around is the for the sake of going from point A to B is the thing you'll be doing the least in that game, except when you're conquering places you've never been to.

>And it isn't relaxing. Its full of enemies that will fuck you up instantly. That isn't relaxing.
Only a couple of instances the game kinda forces you to use stealth, and I say "kinda" because you can ofter find ways around it. Literaly going around it.
Other than that it's very rare that super powerful monsters run into you, and if you run into then that's your fault anyway.

Plus, the game does a pretty stelar job of not making any region obsolete as you get stronger.

>No, you're just excusing it because its a Wii U game and it has literally nothing else.
Now you're just being petty.
>>
>>378239630

You sound like someone who literally hates fun. Enjoy not finding any meaning in the games you play and basically just wasting your time playing them.
>>
>>378240813
>There are quick travel points EVERYWHERE
Every single one of you "muh imershun" autists says to never use fast travel.
>>
>>378240119
Do you think a Wii U is the only system I own? Do you think that Xenoblade Chronicles X is the only game I own for it, or in general? Why the fuck would I feel the need to come up with excuses just because of the console it's on, when we both know there's more than just this on it? Again, you're baiting me with extremely retarded memes.

You run at a breakneck pace in Xenoblade X, and go even faster once you get skells. You are never at any point "walking" anywhere. Plus, as you explore, you get fast travel points, which also completely negates the idea of taking any real amount of time to "walk somewhere fun". The fun is in encountering the new enemies and the new challenges in new environments on the way to wherever you're going. Maybe you're not going anywhere. Maybe you're just trying to fill in the map. Which requires exploration -and- combat to achieve. It's only one part of the game. Acting like it's the sole fucking point of it is extremely disingenuous and is only making it that much more obvious how hard you're baiting me and the others in this thread.

And if it's "full of enemies that will fuck you up instantly", how is it slow in any way? Actually, if you actually can defeat 90% of anything like you suggest, how is that even a thing that happens to you? You're contradicting yourself.

Games can have different flows. You can find something slow and relaxing and enjoyable in that way one minute and then transition into combat with an enemy that will destroy you or your team if you don't keep buffs up properly the other. They complement one another by keeping things from being too homogeneous.

>>378240491
Seriously nigga? When you start a new playthrough, you can pick an entirely different class with entirely different arts. Even if you do master it you can choose to use different weapons which lock you into a different selection of arts. You can choose to almost exclusively control your party members instead of Cross.
>>
>>378235652
To be fair FFXV is about as wide as a small creek and as shallow as a puddle.
>>
>>378240491
You're sounding like exploration is the ONLY thing in XCX. Hell, for the most part the game doesn't even require it. You can go straight to each objective and get the flight module to negate all the hardships of exploration if you want.

And on the topic of replayability alone, XCX is so customizable you can't possibly experience all the builds and class combinations possible, and the game doesn't even force you to restart the game to do it.

You'll look like a fool trying to criticize this game on the basis of replayability or customizability.
>>
>>378240831
>You sound like someone who literally hates fun.
Why do you think that?
>>378241037
>you can pick an entirely different class with entirely different arts.
Most of them are shit though and not worth using at all.
Like the raygun/knife class is fucking dogshit for the early game. You literally can't beat anything with the first stage of the class because the arts it gives you are so garbage.
They kind of railroad players into using a few specific classes because the rest are borderline unusable.
>>
>>378241308
>the game doesn't even force you to restart the game to do it.
Kind of does. There's no way you can max out the BP of all the arts in one playthrough. And if you spread it out between you'll be a jack of all trades master of none and when the tough enemies come out you'll be unable to do anything against them.
>>
>>378240956
Then fuck them and their autism. It's not the a flaw of the game.
Although to be honest after you get flying skells it becomes almost as fast to just fly where you need to go sometimes.
>>
>>378240956
Except that none of the 2-3 people you're arguing with have said anything like that. Pigeonholing us into a group that does not represent us and then making assertions and claims based on that group is fucking retarded and you should be ashamed for doing so.

You are simplifying the game too much. The free exploration is only one aspect of the game. It's an aspect that not every game has, so it's something that some people enjoy seeking out on rare occasions. Sure, maybe you can't build a particularly enjoyable or replayable game out of JUST exploration, but the same could also be said of other aspects of game design, too. A game which is just purely non-stop combat encounters is not enjoyable as one that you can pick and choose your enemies, or maneuver around an environment with. A game which is just purely puzzle will need a good variety of mechanics or puzzles to take into consideration to make it worthwhile for a long time - hell, puzzle games are often so simple that people need to go out of their way to find gimmicks to change them up, like with the Puzzle quest series.
>>
FFXV is as deep as a puddle and wide as a puddle 2bh
>>
>>378241437
Ok to be fair you can only master a couple of styles with the amount of BP you have.
But it's still remarkable that you can mix and match any of them independently of your skills and test it out before you comit. If you think its shit, you only need to load the game.

The depth is still there, but maybe they could have made it less punishing by having a way of reseting your arts and skills.
>>
>>378241539
But the exploration only lasts until like midway through the game. After that, the game becomes a checklist of sidequests, and they all take place in areas you've already been to
>>
>>378241317
I used knife and raygun for pretty much the entirety of my playthrough and had very little issue with it. It progressed very naturally into a topple locking and healing class with extremely low cooldown times for me. You actually have to TRY to find a combination of things that doesn't clown everything you come across eventually. The giant fuckoff beam was really satisfying and strong, too.

Regardless, so what if some are worse off than others? Why would that matter? You can look at it as increasing the difficulty.
>>
>>378242074
>It progressed very naturally into a topple locking
Except that class has no arts that stagger. And the AI is too fucking retarded to get them to stagger reliably when I want them to. So no, this doesn't work.
>>
>>378240491
Who says a game needs to be replayable to be good? I play for the experience, once is enough.
>>
>>378232772
>they're all blue orbs
you're either extremely retarded or fishing for you s. the colectibles may still appear as blue orbs but still have diferent names and use
>>
>>378242053
Yeah, no. You only get flight in like chapter 10, which itself unlocks several areas or fights you would never have been able to access before, or makes it significantly easier to access areas you wouldn't have the patience or stamina to do before.

Just because you've gone to all the regions doesn't mean you've explored them.

>>378242214
Gravity Blast you twit. You don't absolutely need to stagger to topple in this game like you did with the original XBC. There are some abilities that unlock topple potential if the monster is staggered, and there are some abilities that have topple potential straight up.
>>
>>378241974
There's missions in the post-game that let you drown in BP. But they're only available after the story is over.
I agree there should've been an option to reset your BP for arts and skills. That should've been there from the beginning
>>
how the FUCK has Skyrim not been posted. That's where the phrase came from
>>
>>378226008
Absofuckinglutely.
>>
>>378242408
>I play for the experience,
well that's because you're a casual. >>378242424
>You only get flight in like chapter 10
flight destroys any semblance of exploration. You just fly to a point on the map, then lower your skell onto it.
>Gravity Blast
If you don't inflict stagger first you're taking a gamble on whether or not the enemy will actually be toppled. At low levels you have so little health that you can't really afford to take a gamble like that and lose.
>>
>>378242428
Yeah I'm not really counting post end-game stuff since you've already slogged through most of the hardships of the early progression curve by that point, like unlocking all the classes and field skills.

But I suppose there's no easy solution there.
If the game is completely lenient as far as class customization goes, it becomes kinda pointless to have classes to begin with.
There's no point in specialization without some level of commitment.

Sometimes I feel like the game could have been better if the side characters were more customizable, but not as much as your main character is, so you can get a specialized taste of each class without having to be stuck with any one of them.
>>
This thread has made me want to go back and finish the last little bit of XCX I had left.
I did all the sidequests and main story but I still don't feel like I have a good grasp of how to make an OP setup. How much grinding would I have to put in for a sniper and knife setup?
>>
>>378242424
>>378242214
Actually, no. I'm wrong. Stagger removes resistance to topple, but topple can apply regardless if you're in an advantageous position or have significant overdrive.

>>378242661
It's a good thing Gravity Blast is an immediate reuse ability that you can recast 2-3 times depending on Overdrive, right?

>low levels
It's a good thing you don't stay low level for very long. I maxed out my level and all my classes long before I even hit Chapter 7. Also, anything that you'd actually be fighting at low levels has a reasonably low tolerance to topple.

>flight destroys any semblance of exploration
It's a good thing you don't get it until you've already explored everything else the game has to offer except for the areas literally locked off. And even then, you don't have to be navigating some circuitous route to explore. Simply finding a new area is all it takes.
>>
>>378243114
>It's a good thing Gravity Blast is an immediate reuse ability that you can recast 2-3 times depending on Overdrive
And what about when you're not in overdrive? Considering that class has a lot of arts that cost 1000 TP, I think a lot of people using would have to skimp on overdrive most of the time.
>I maxed out my level and all my classes long before I even hit Chapter 7
You were level 60 before chapter 7? What the fuck?
>>
>>378242887
As far as I'm concerned, with just an Extend Overdrive augment you can pretty much break the game, or at least break it enough that it becomes super easy to get anything else you need.
But with a sniper and a knif it might be hard to maintain a high TP count with the Extend Magazine and Ranged: Gain TP combo. So maybe you could go for and Arts: Gain TP augment instead, which I kinda preffer myself.

It's probably also a good idea to have a somewhat decent lvl 50 skell so you can farm the Ares skell. Even if you don't plan on abusing it, which you totally could because that fucked is broken as hell, it's also essential to speeding up the process of aquiring anything else you might need.

With both of those, a reliable way of keeping overdrive active and the Ares skell, all the doors open to you.
>>
>>378242661
>that's because you're a casual
Not an argument. Please argue without resorting to irrational remarks
>>
>>378243474
You just want a flashy experience, you don't care about mechanical depth. You're a casual.
>>
>>378243423
I already have an Ares and like 4 level 60 Skells, and some super weapons.
I don't really want to grind because I hate this game's autistic drop rates. Are the materials expensive to buy with tickets?
>>
>>378225767

Pic unrelated
>>
>>378242661
>flight destroys any semblance of exploration. You just fly to a point on the map, then lower your skell onto it.
That's not really true.
Granted, it help a lot, but the areas you've probably not explored yet are littered with patroling flying enemies, Zigs, Xe-doms, Xerns and other shit that will wreck your shit if you're not careful, not to mention in-doors areas that are particularly plentiful in Cauldros or only accessible with the fligh module, ironicaly enough.
>>
>>378243286
Overdrive has experience multipliers built in my dude. Topple locking enemies that I had no business fighting at my level gave insane experience rates.

Myopic Screen hits three times. In Overdrive, when coming after a ranged art, purple arts give TP. At max Overdrive it's giving 3000 TP per use.

I'm also using Secondary Speed and a bunch of cooldown accelerating skills to reduce cooldown even further.

My build into Overdrive utilizes green skills, since chaining them results in a direct extension into overdrive. Smooth Recovery gives a lot of overdrive points. With a Green Bonus augment, it gives enough that I can reach maximum overdrive solo, but it's pretty much instant with a full team.

At some point I'm just chaining beam attacks and gravity blast and nothing can ever recover. No stagger required.
>>
>>378243920
Myopic screen doesn't even do damage. Why would I waste an entire slot for that shit
>>
>>378243667
Some of them are not worth it to buy with tickets.
Anything dropped by the Body or an appendage that you can destroy from a skell are probably better to get with your skell.

Tickets will allow you to skip some of the nastier shit, but they run out fast so you'll have to do a lot of the work yourself.
Luckily, you don't need to max out your shit to do pretty much anything. Just get some key augments for each situation and you're golden.

When fighting on foot that almost always boils down to surviving 1hko atacks from tyrants. Spend wisely and you can skip most of the grinding.
>>
>>378244034
Not him, but I think if does damage. Not a lot though.
Subterfuge is the one that does not, if I'm not mistaken.

>>378243920
At that point you've officialy broken the game through the power of min-max and exploits.
It's a valid strategy to take advantage of the game's cracks, but the vast majority of people will probably not realize such strategies on their first playthrough and just play the game "as intended".
>>
>>378243510
Mechanical depth and fulfilling wonderful experiences are two completely different values and valuing one over the other doesn't make you a "casual".
>>
>>378244034
It does do damage though. Not much, but the debuff resistance going down is pretty useful, especially for a topple build, plus it's invaluable for recovering TP to use your strongest arts.

>>378245009
I didn't really min-max or exploit anything though. The build came very naturally to me, and given how much I've discussed the game with other people, my impression has become that there comes a point where no matter what you do, you've become overpowered in some way or another, and once you notice that you just keep slipping on into breaking the game.

To the point that I'm pretty sure it's intended. As far as I've heard, everyone has found some way or another to completely and utterly crack open the combat and destroy everything with relatively little effort. Without even going into some specific photon saber build.
>>
>>378245317
Wait, Myopic Screen wasn't debuff resistance down. What am I thinking of? I know the ability I used was Myopic though.
>>
>>378245504
>>378245317
myopic screen inflicts blackout, no damage.
>>
>>378245795
I looked it up. Some details have escaped my memory over time. You're right. Regardless, the fact that it hits three times is very valuable as it becomes an essential TP recovery art in overdrive, which is why I used it.
>>
The combat system was pretty in depth
>>
>>378225861
fuck off
>>
>>378245317
>I didn't really min-max or exploit anything though
The very fact that you had discussions about this game puts you ahead the vast majority of players because it gives you access to the experience of countless other people.
It's like you've played the game with several playthroughs worth of experience, and by that point of course you'll be aware of all the best strategies available.
That's far more potent that simply reading a wiki for directions or talking about the game with a friend.

I avoided most of the discussion of this game and I only managed to "break the game" right near the final boss, but I was actively avoiding it to do all the side shit, so people who do the opposite and follow the story more directly probably go through the entire game with a mediocre lvl50 skell, one single class and no reliably way of maintaining overdrive, and that's fine since the main story is a joke compared to half the content that opens up afterwards.
>>
>>378225767
>HAHA DUDE IF YOU WANT 100% JUST GRIND MONSTERS FOR HOURS TO GET TONS OF A MATERIAL THAT HAS AN ABSURDLY LOW DROP RATE SO YOU CAN MAKE AUGMENTS SO YOU MIGHT BE ABLE TO BEAT THE SUPERBOSSES
arigato xcxgecko
>>
Every
single
open world game
>>
>>378245795
>>378245951
Myopic screen deals weapons damage from 100% do 200%.
>>
>>378246173
>The very fact that you had discussions about this game puts you ahead the vast majority of players because it gives you access to the experience of countless other people.

That's making an assumption. At what point did I suggest that my build or playstyle had been based off the experiences or information of other people? I only started discussing the game well after I had reached that point, which is why I insist that the progression to that point felt very natural.

I, too, avoided doing the main story for as long as possible, wanting to get absolutely every worthwhile sidequest and affinity quest out of the way before I did. It was slow but very fulfilling, especially as over time I came across tyrants or superbosses that I was very clearly intended to do in a skell or later in the game but topple locked them into oblivion.
>>
>>378246489
>>378245795
http://xenoblade.wikia.com/wiki/Myopic_Screen
Where the fuck was I looking, I completely ignored the 100% to 200% on the lower half. I fucking knew it dealt damage.

>>378245795
>>378244034
You made me doubt my memories, you monster.
>>
>>378246529
You might have been lucky having gone for a build that put you over the edge.

In general, overdrive is what breaks the game early on. But that shit lasts for so little without augments that you mostly have time for one tier 3 combo, and that's if you have a tier 2 prepared already. That's specialy true for Ray Guns, since their arts have such long cooldowns and gain so little TP.

It's simple a fact that most people won't manage to abuse it or even realise how abusive it really is early on, unless they have a couple coincidental extend overdrive on their crappy, early game gear.
>>
>>378247090
But all it takes is understanding how Overdrive works to break it. Get a lot of hits in to raise the numbers, and either use blue/green arts to increase time remaining or use purple arts to regain tp. If you start looking at the game in terms of making either of those things easier to perform, then you've already achieved power.
>>
>>378246648
Where does it say it does damage?
>>
>>378247609
The "multiplier" section means damage multipliers. As in 100% of your weapon power to 200%. Dedicated attack skills often have an additional damage bonus on top of that though.
>>
>>378247423
I don't think so bro.
With basic overdrive, i.e. no worthwhile augments to improve it, it takes FOREVER to raise enough TP and it lasts for so little time it's almost impossible to maintain it.

You can still use it for that sweet tier3 Beam Barrage with an aura or that combo Stream Edge once in a while, but that's probably where it ends.

I'm not saying this is how to use it optimaly, but this is probably how things go for most people on their first playthroughs, at least early on.
Only when you get better ways of gaining TP and extending the overdrive time people start to manage to sustain it long enough to do the really devastating combos and multipliers.
>>
>>378248217
But maintaining overdrive was simple relatively close to the time I first got it. All I've ever needed was Smooth Recovery and Repair with a fully living party to push it over the top - further augments simply made it easier or faster.
>>
>>378248497
>all I needed was this very specific thing
The game doesn't even tell you how overdrive works. Most people can't even do it with ramjet rifle.
Sure, it's easy enough to look it up, but how many people do that? They don't even pay attention to forced tutorials.
>>
XCX might be the biggest mess of a game I've ever played. Like seriously, if you want to make a game in the style of a WRPG, do that, but don't try to also make a classic JRPG, a mmo game and a mech game.

It's pretty sad, I was kinda hyped for this game, but it's just such an unfocused grind. They basically took all the things that were good about the first game and fucked them up.
>good writing
>decent enough story
>streamlined quest systems
>feeling of discovery and progress
>good music
>>
>>378244670
Should I get the XX level augments?
>>
>>378248985
>see that overdrive time goes up when using green skills with shit like "Overdrive Duration +5!" popping up
>try to use green skills until I'm over the top

I dunno, it seems more like you're making excuses for the lowest common denominator.
>>
>>378249460
Not him but a lot of people don't even use green skills because they don't really need them.
>>
>>378226008
I agree, but that said this was Nintendo's first attempt at an open world game like this and with that in consideration it's much more understandable than Witcher 3 or Elder Scrolls 5 which have had time to practice.

For a first attempt Zelda is quite impressive and if they make a second game I expect it to fix all the problems.
>>
>>378249182
I'm sorry, but, no. Xenoblade's writing wasn't that great. The characters carried the extremely generic and predictable "kill god" plot progression, but even they couldn't save the sidequests. Xenoblade X isn't much better, but its flaws lie mainly in the pacing rather than the actual story.

>streamlined quest systems
That sounds like a really roundabout way to compliment "take literally all the quests one npc will offer then fetch and kill everything they ask you to fetch and kill". X improved on that considerably by putting all the really generic quests on a task board and making sidequests proper stories in and of themselves.

>feeling of discovery
I'll give you that. The setting was very good for that. But it's not that much better than X.
>>
>>378249865
not him but pretty much all the characters in Xenoblade are likable at least. There aren't many likable characters in Xenoblade X.
Especially fucking Elma. I GUARANTEE that if she were a boy, everyone would hate her. People only defend her because of that shitty "muh delicious brown" meme.
>>
>>378249583
Blue skills do the same thing. If you know that there's a way to extend overdrive, does it not warrant looking into how to take advantage of that? Also it's pretty obvious that colour matching has different effects, why would you not look into all the different effects that could occur?

It's like going into Lost Magic and having three tiers of each elemental rune and three runes you can put together and never thinking to go Dark3 Light3 Dark3 because "The game never told me it would be so powerful!" Like, holy shit do you have no sense of trial and error or mechanical discovery at all?

People who just expect the game to unfold for them are the worst kind of people.
>>
>>378249865
I admittedly only played like 30 hours of XBCX, but the story was complete garbage. None of it has any importance to it. You find out you are a robot, you have first contact with multiple alien species, and literally none of it is portrayed in a way that makes it seem like anyone cares. Then you have to grind in between missions to get to them. You never get a feel of actually traveling around with your party because you only have 3 people with you, unlike the first game where all of them are with you at all times. The game also introduces way too many characters at the beginning and then doesn't actually let you use most of them.

The quest system is just annoying. XBC let you take as many quests as you wanted, but X suddenly decides to only allow you to take twenty or so. The game gives you quests way before you would ever be able to do them. The "test this xudvdidi piece of equipment" are fucking annoying. You for some reason can't just change the time at will anymore. The side quests with story are a step in the right direction, but the writing was seriously lacking.

XBC had great moments when you got to a new area and it felt completely new and different. With X for some reason they decided to show you all of them right from the get go.

XBC surely didn't have the greatest story, but the story worked to keep you motivated and the great environments provided a fantastic backdrop to all of it. All of the side quests and systems were just additions and the gameplay was solid enough to not get in the way. With XBCX they basically removed the narrative framework and tried to put the systems and world in the foreground, but that just didn't work for most people. People always said XBC was an offline MMO, XBCX might actually be an offline MMO.
>>
>>378249402
For extend overdrive yes. It's very easy to make.
For the atribute defense augs too.

The augs that are really expensive and frankly don't necessarily make THAT much of a difference are the ones that increase your base atack.
It's better to focus first on the ones that you only need one to be good, like Arts: Heal, Arts: Gain TP, Extend Effect... depending on your build or the situation.
Some enemies might also require one or two accurace augs, but those are not that common and the augs not hard to make.

Skells are even easier, since the Ares has pretty good resistances all around.
>>
>>378251394
How do you know what attribute the bosses use?
>>
>>378226008
It's the only open world game I've ever played where the world itself doesn't feel like a waste of time. Lacking in variety for rewards and challenges but I do want to see more done with the engine.

>>378225767
>>378225861
Completely correct. I have no idea why anyone likes either Xenoblade game.
>>
>>378249460
I think you overestimate the ability of the average player, based on your own.
Remember most people don't even finish games. Casual, linear games!
If you're the sort of person that can even can make this kind of discussion, you're probably considerably above the curve.
>>
>>378231002
no it wasn't, the game came out months before in japan
>>
>>378251460
That's actualy hard to look up unless it's a really tough tyrant with all the atacks cataloged online.
But you can find out yourself by paying attention above the appendage you have selected. Whenever the monster casts an atack, it will have the symbol of the element that atack has. Just wait and pay attention to it.

Most monsters usualy only have 2 or 3 types of atacks. Sometimes with a surprise one to catch you offguard.
If they don't have that many types, it's super easy to negate it entirely with around 80-100 of that atribute resistence.
>>
>>378252145
So you just need to defend against like 2 elements?
Thanks for all the help btw.
>>
>>378251257
>the writing was seriously lacking
Sidequest and affinity quest writing was stronger than the main story by a mile, which was in turn more interesting than XBC's "kill mechon" then "kill god" plot--the only thing interesting about that game was the setting (on giant gods) and figuring out how all the different groups existed on them.

The fuckhuge quantity of characters is certainly a flaw, especially when so few one of them are really as individually interesting as XBC's characters, but given how XBC relied on its characters so heavily to make its plot more interesting, XCX has the exact opposite problem, in that the individual stories are more interesting but the characters either add little or detract from them.

XBC let you take as many quests as you wanted, sure, but the quality of the quests were an entirely different matter. Its quest system wasn't as advanced or varied as XCX's quest system, which made an actual effort to separate garbage quests (which you don't have too much of a reason to do regardless) from worthwhile quests.

Sure, not changing the time at will anymore is a little odd but it's not like it's that much of an issue when base camps are so easily and quickly accessed. If anything I enjoy how it removes the temptation to simply stand in one place and adjust the time 50 billion times to find a certain arrangement of characters or where they are, and likewise the game is built around that for the most part.

And I must clarify this every single fucking time: XCX was huge. Just because you could go to the individual continents from the get go doesn't mean you could see everything in them - there was a decent quantity of varied environments in each continent, not all of which were accessible right off the bat, or were otherwise feasible to fight your way over to.
>>
>>378251741
Then why are we even talking about the lowest common denominator as if they're worth considering if they're not even relevant to the discussion?
>>
File: Lin.jpg (56KB, 500x355px) Image search: [Google]
Lin.jpg
56KB, 500x355px
How come when I start a Xenoblade thread nicely it always dies
>>
>>378252618
>Sidequest and affinity quest writing was stronger than the main story by a mile,
Well, that's nice, sadly I didn't see any of that in the 30 hours I played.
The game is just so chock-full of systems that everything else is completely fucking overshadowed.

>Just because you could go to the individual continents from the get go doesn't mean you could see everything in them - there was a decent quantity of varied environments in each continent, not all of which were accessible right off the bat, or were otherwise feasible to fight your way over to.
Sure. But that still doesn't make it all feel so goddamn underwhelming. The whole fucking structure of the game is just so fucking strange.
>go explore this continent for a while
>go to this continent for a bit
>now go here for a few hours
It's just so goddamn all over the place.
>>
Far Cry n, with n being any positive integer and n > 1
>>
>>378252246
Depends. Some enemies have such nasty debuffs that you'll want to defend aganist them, leaving your defenses relatively low. Mind control and topple are specialy nasty to deal with.
The key at that point is having good gear with built-in resistances, and preferably with built-in augments that further increase those resistances too.

Also, some faggots like Gradivus have like 5 different elements they can atack with on top of debuffs like topple, stagger and launch.
Sometimes you have to resort to cheap tricks like Power Dive or hoping in and out of your skell to avoid certain atacks or go for an appendage tied to one of those atacks.

Fighting on foot is brutal sometimes, but never have I felt more lake a manly man than when I managed to beat Lucial solo on foot.
Would've done it with Telethia too, if the game didn't force you into aerial phases.
>>
>>378252793
>lowest common denominator
Dude, I'm talking about like 60-80% of players here.
Again, you're greatly overestimating the ability of the AVERAGE player. Not even talking about the lower end.
>>
>>378254407
>having good gear with built-in resistances, and preferably with built-in augments that further increase those resistances
well shit, where do you get that?
>>
>>378253342
People are driven by shitposting.
Specialy with old, not-so-popular games.
>>
>>378254141
>The game is just so chock-full of systems that everything else is completely fucking overshadowed.
wat
How do the systems relate to the writing in any way?

>so goddamn all over the place
That's an Open RPG for you.
>>
>>378254603
Monsters are always dropping gear. Every gear also has build in resistances, depending on the manufacturer.
If you see a piece of gear with an extra, built-in resistance, like Ether Resist XII for example, keep it. You can add a slot later if it doesn't come with one already.
For armor that's pretty much the most important thing it can have, even if it ONLY has that. You want to have one peice of gear with as much of every type of resistance as possible so you'll need less augments to reach a safe level of elemental defense.

Having built-in Extend Overdrive is also SUPER useful so you can free one slot that you'd have a separate Extend Overdrive aug. You only need one anyway.

Only the hardest of tyrants will need you to go through such hoops though, and only if you want to fight them on foot.
>>
>>378254638
Well, with XBC, the systems are just kinda off to the side. Stuff like the gemmaking, and building up the city, and filling up your compendium is all kinda optional. XBCX on the other hand, not only has like 10 times more systems, all of which are overly complex and poorly complained, but also require you to use most of them to proceed in the main story, XBC was narrative-driven, XBCX was systems-driven but didn't really want to commit to it.
>That's an Open RPG for you.
That's bullshit. There are a ton of Open World PRGs that aren't as much of a mess as XBCX. Monolith just didn't commit to anything so this game only works to the few people who can overlook all of the shortcomings.
The game tries to be a multiplayer japanese skyrim while still trying to somehow appease people who just want to play a xenoblade 2.
>>
>>378255706
>Monsters are always dropping gear.
Is it level 60 though?
also it sounds like it would be absolute hell to find a complete set of armor.
>>
>>378255945
>but also require you to use most of them to proceed in the main story
All you really had to do was explore to open up mining nodes, which also helped you generate revenue. Oh and one side quest per chapter I think.
>>
>>378251492
The first Xenoblade has likeable characters which is all and RPG needs to be engaging.
The second has no redeeming qualities worth the price of admission, the only memerable thing in the game is piloting a mech that gets boring after 10 minutes.
Thread posts: 242
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.