[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What exactly killed it /v/? It was so lively, what the fuck happened?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 5

File: starcraft2.jpg (74KB, 1417x742px) Image search: [Google]
starcraft2.jpg
74KB, 1417x742px
What exactly killed it /v/? It was so lively, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>378224705
it's not fun with friends

mobas are fun with friends
>>
>>378224793
>mobas
>fun

Why are you posting in a Starcraft thread when you've never played it?
>>
>>378224793
Why are you posting in a Starcraft thread when you have friends?
>>
Arcade came way too late. Casuals flooded the PC scene and free baby games like League took prospective Starcraft players. Blizzard slow to react per usual.
>>
>>378224705
There is like 5000 people playing it right now on NA. The fuck are you talking about?
>>
the game is too easy for good players and too hard for bad players
>>
Koreans stopped playing
>>
>>378225252
WITH

FRIENDS
>>
File: 이엑스아이디.jpg (203KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
이엑스아이디.jpg
203KB, 1920x1080px
>>378225832
they never played in the first place, even with blizzard trying to kill broodwar
>>
>>378224793
Not even in co-op?
>>
I played it for a couple months, but it seemed to be very competitive-focused no matter what. Like, the maps were all symmetrical and boring and you could only place your base where the game said, next to the identical amounts of minerals and gas every time. This is good for competitive 1v1, but it ruined the "fuck around with friends" aspect some people like of RTS games.
>>
>>378225986
What made me get bored is how the best strategy was "just spam marines lol"
>>
I'll tell you what killed it. It was a combination.

>HotS came out and completely fucked balance of the game
>League was just becoming popular
>big casters like LAGtv fucked off to League and gave their Starcraft fans the finger
>Blizzard quit giving a shit because development on Overwatch was beginning

There's no one reason as to why this game fell, but it's one of the biggest downfalls of a game I can remember next to Street Fighter.
>>
>>378226141
>There's no one reason as to why this game fell
Yes there is.
>>378224705
Lets put people who drove the Command & Conquer series into its grave in charge. Then lets make a top down ESPORTS game. Fuck the casuals if they want to have fun they can go play league.

And so they did.

Management failed Starcraft 2. They put inept people in charge, made a painful game that punished the slightest error with a loss, and ignored their fans pleas to stop making the game so hyper shit.
>>
>>378226141
>>378226141
i think bnet .20 SERIOUSLY stunted the game's growth during wings of liberty... like, critically stunted it.. what a fucking blunder compared to wc3's battlenet

aditionally there are about 2 dozen questionable design decisions that ruined the game. they should have just gone straight to korean pros and kespa for design decisions instead of pretending that they knew better
>>
>>378225759
Didn't you hear? Less than a few hundred thousand players = automatically dead game.
>>
>>378226141
Its sad. I am a big fan of both starcraft and street fighter. I wish the franchises didn't go to shit. I used to be a big halo fan but i hate everything 343 has done and i wish that franchise was dead but it keeps selling.
>>
>>378226449
sc2 is a fucking casual game though... idk why everyone thinks that it's so "esports," it never dethroned sc1... it was made from the ground up to appeal to causal players with MBS, automine, and unlimited unit select.
>>
>>378224705
it was shit from the beginning
>models look like they're made of plastic. Heavy warcraft inspiration
>game designers don't know what they're doing
>writers don't know what they're doing

the popularity of moba's finally mercy killed it
>>
>>378226598
>QOL that should have been in the first game makes it casual
>>
>>378226598
Yes, that was the fundamental problem. They casualized it, then made everything extremely punishing so it wasn't fun at all.
>>
>>378226698
why don't you play chess or go if you don't want the "real time" aspect of rts?
>>
>>378226698
That wasn't quality of life. It was giving the player the ability to make a massive army by holding down a single key. Don't you see how that is a problem?

Then to compensate they had to introduce these asinine macro mechanics that no one liked.

Then to compensate for those they had to make harass retardedly powerful.

Then then then then

It literally dragged the game down to die.
>>
Slow & poor moderation on Blizzards behalf. Blizzard ignored it almost immediately after launch. DLC came out too far after.
>>
>>378226449
>Lets put people who drove the Command & Conquer series into its grave in charge
from the beginning I thought this was a huge fuckup.

>Then lets make a top down ESPORTS game
agreed here as well. E-sports is more an emergent property of a good game. Trying to force the matter doesn't work.
>>
WoL was a radical departure from BW. The pro scene stayed with BW Blizz them out. Turns WoL was a shitty death ball sim. HotS releases and changes it to a different kind of death ball sim. Harass units start becoming potent and worker killing becomes the main activity. LotV releases and now the game is an ultra fast paced worker killing sim.

In short, there were too many radical changes that only created new problems in an attempt to fix the old ones. No one has fun massing a hundred units only to watch them melt in seconds, or to constantly fight off worker harass.
>>
>>378226449
>>378226936
These.

Fuck Blizzard.
>>
Blizzard killed it. Or more precisely David Kim with his shitty design.
David Kim made a big deal of the fact that he was a Master/Grandmaster Random player, so he was unbiased in terms of balance changes. Unfortunately for everyone, because he assumed he was unbiased, he allowed his personal bias to affect the design changes he spearheaded. Namely: He, being a high ranking Random player, was extremely biased towards cheesy garbage.
On top of that, the changes to Economy and macro mechanics in Legacy of the Void were in exactly the OPPOSITE direction of what they should have been.
Blizzard reduced the amount of Minerals per base, thinking this forced people to expand more, and it somewhat did. The problem was, with the reduced Mineral counts, by the time you're taking your fourth, your main is mined out. By the time you take you fifth, your natural is mined out etc etc.

This meant that you never really had more than 3 fully mining bases. Or in other words, you never really had more than 3 places to defend. In Brood War, seeing a Zerg have 7, even 8 Mining bases wasn't uncommon. This meant the further ahead you were, the harder it was to defend what you had. Whereas in LotV, you just snowballed, because defending was always easy.

Plus, the changes they made to Zerg injects in LotV, which were meant to make it easier actually just made it significantly HARDER to hit all your injects properly.
>>
>>378226570
I honestly don't know why this is such a wide spread sentiment nowadays.
I can understand it when the game only just released, because then chances that they make additional content are low, but as long as I have enough people in the queue that I don't spend all afternoon playing against the same guys, I couldn't care less how many there are in total.
>>
>>378226973
>>378226973
>>378226973
>>
>>378226998
also this

>tfw /v/ knows more about game design than a massive corporation
>>
>>378227313
you can be sure that the 12 year standing korean bw scene at the time knew more than the dev team did
>>
>>378227313
Not to give Blizzard any credit, but it is easier to look inwards after the fact and spot the problems.
>>
Game was moderated both very poorly and very slowly. As soon as the game released, it seemed Blizzard had just kind of shoved it aside. DLC would be announced but then not come out for 3 years.

The game also came out duri g that period shortly after the Activision merger where they started pumping out shit (End-portion of WotLK, Cata, D3).

They also did the same shit with D3. Game was announced in like, 2008, but wouldn't come out till mid 2012, and came out as a complete shitfest of a game. RoS came out a while later and fixed a lot of shit, but it was too much too later.

I'm actually surprised Overwatch was as successful as it was. Project Titan being scrapped 2 times over and then having its leftovers be salvaged into an FPS MOBA-type didn't look very promising. I had very low expectations for it. Still not my kind of game, but it did surprisingly well and seems to continue to do so, so I supposed Blizzard has learned.

Now if only they could end WoW and go back to Warcraft RTS games.
>>
>>378224705
Video games got too popular and normies flushed in.

It's gotten to the point where there are people unironically making threads for games that would get saged to death in the past.

Call of Duty
Life is Strange
Undertale
Gone Hom
Etc

Fucking embarrassing and if you call them out on it nu-/v/ hops in and hilariously tries to defend their normie taste. I'm honestly surprised we don't have Madden threads yet.
>>
File: 1494616706392.jpg (37KB, 564x797px) Image search: [Google]
1494616706392.jpg
37KB, 564x797px
>>378224793
fpwp
>>
>>378227409
>these dudes fucking live and breathe starcraft
>let's ignore them!

>>378227427
true.
>>
>>378226998
Yeah the economy changes took me by surprise. The community had even written up examples for a BW economy or double mining (double minerals a trip, but double the mining time). It felt so good too.

>>378226973
Damn phone, I meant that Blizz forced the pro scene to SC2. This effectively killed BW. Then because SC2 was a shit show people list interest. Without BW to fall back on StarCraft as a whole died taking the RTS genre with it.

I can only hope BW Remastered is good.
>>
>>378227427
nah these discussions were always ongoing on tl, blizz fanboys always just shit on any dissenting opinions (and tl staff since they were in bed with blizzard)
>>
>>378227508
/v/ had a positive view on Undertale ages before it came out when the demo was only a thing, and its type of game isn't something that this board has ever taken to automatically hating. The community is its own problem.

Also
>Unironic Gone Home threads
Since fucking when?
>>
>>378224705
>Coop Bullshit
>Mikro DLC
>Meme gamemodes splitting playerbase
>Muh MMM
>Muh 20 different Toss cheeses
>Muh forced annoying micro
>>
>>378227895
Newsflash nu-/v/ isn't a new thing. /v/ hasn't been itself in probably 7-8 years.

I guess you weren't here when Gone Home released
>>
>>378224705
The game has about 2,000 concurrent players. Nobody wants to play 1v1 games.
>>
>>378228046
>/v/ hasn't been itself in probably 7-8 years.
>>
>>378227479

I like to assume that the whole period of 2009-2012 was all a result of WoW's success and hype of incoming games in development making them way too overly cocky, and then them tripping over their own feet and delivering shit game/expansion after shit game/expansion.
>>
>>378225928
They tried to kill Broodwar?
>>
>>378228198
gotta sell that HD remake son
>>
File: fidel-castro-ruz.jpg (679KB, 993x1153px) Image search: [Google]
fidel-castro-ruz.jpg
679KB, 993x1153px
Let's see if your opinion is actually worth considering.

How many 1v1 games have you completed, /v/?

I broke the 3500 this spring.
>>
>>378228198
the lawsuits against kespa for broadcasting rights in 2009 and 2010 largely took it off tv...
>>
>>378227969
every blizzard game has meme game modes you fucking pleb faggot. Have you even played warcraft 3? WC3 has its own legiontd community probably bigger than the entire SC2 community for one game mode
>>
>>378228164
/v/ wasn't a board until 2004 newfag
>>
>>378228046
Gone Home released on the tail end of the ironic shitposting epidemic.

Those threads were not genuine.
>>
>>378228283
I broke 1500 when HotS came out, and after I realized someone at blizzard thought Widow Mines and Swarm Hosts were a good idea, I bailed.
>>
>>378228198
yes, and the koreans gave a huge fuck you by not showing up to the kespa sc2 match.

For a while flash and the other kespa pros were playing sc2 infront of empty crowd
>>
>>378227780
This exactly. I pointed out these issues WoL released, and again HotS released but nobody listened. When LotV was releasing people finally realized that this is the last chance to save the game. It was too late tho, David Kim had already decided on the economy changes (he even humored the players only to ignore the feedback). The coop mode is by far their most played mode SC2, maybe that should tip then off.

Damn Blizzard fanboys did everything to silence dessent.

>>378228198
Blizzard got many major tournament leagues to switch SC2. On top of that there were lawsuits against kespa. Pro players can't work for free and had to switch. With the rise of Twitch, YouTube, and Afreeca monetization plus donations it's only recently (something like 2 years ago) become viable for pros to go back to BW.
>>
File: 1231.png (61KB, 1053x470px) Image search: [Google]
1231.png
61KB, 1053x470px
>>378228318
since december 2016 when i had to reformat (includes ai games)
>>
>>378228182
Blizzard is making more money than ever now. Everything they're doing is 100% intentional towards the goal of making very polished, shitty games that make tons of money.
>>
>>378228360
Fucking memes killed competitiv. You can't split a 4000 player community over too many modes retarded mongoloid.
>>
>>378228383
>>378228697
>You can't split a 4000 player community over too many modes retarded mongoloid.
This. Even arcade feels fucking dead.
>>
>>378228792
those people had no interest in SC2 competitive if they were going to meme game modes in the first place. That's how warcraft 3 is I don't think I have ever touched the vanilla game mode. SC2 just wasn't good enough to attract that many people
>>
>>378229128
>SC2 just wasn't good enough to attract that many people
At one point it had 100K active games on a good day. It used to have a lot of people.
>>
>>378229128
>Don't offer mememodes like 4v4, 3v3, Archon, Coop
>People have to queue for 1v1/2v2 or play arcadeshit

It's that easy.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.