[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's /v/ honest opinion about Tetris?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: NES_Tetris_Box_Front.jpg (35KB, 223x320px) Image search: [Google]
NES_Tetris_Box_Front.jpg
35KB, 223x320px
What's /v/ honest opinion about Tetris?
>>
Literally the perfect video game. I wish the competitive scene was more prominent.
>>
>>378219526
Boring shit for pseudo-intellectuals. There are far better puzzle games.
>>
Best game ever
>>
hit me up with some competetive tetris stuffs famalams
>>
>>378219526
nice music
>>
>>378219526
Fun but it's not puyo puyo
>>
>>378219526
great pack-in game for original gameboy.
>>
>>378219526
you're not even trying if you can't invisible tetris
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwC544Z37qo
>>
>>378219587
Yup.
Personally I don't like the autism side of it, but the fact that so many game modes exist, that you can tweek the rule set to your liking, that you can always improve (unless you're a machine), that infinite replayability. The only game that keeps me coming back.
>>
puzzle games are the peak of vidya skill
>>
>>378220613
>there are people who actually believe this video is real
>>
>>378221031
>there are people who actually can't into tetris
>>
>>378219526
The hivemind /v/ opinion is that it's the best game ever, even if you're talking about the gameboy version which doesn't even go that fast and doesn't offer that many game modes. But it's really just a puzzle game. There are other puzzle games that are more fun, but /v/ will say this is the best because they saw someone play TGM fast. I doubt many people here have even played TGM.
>>
I wish more people were into TGM
It's mentioned everytime there's a Tetris thread here but it doesn't look like you guys actually play it.
If you're reading this, you should go download shmupmame with the tgmj and cpzn roms and try playing it yourself.
TGM1 is slow as shit so don't worry if vids like >>378220613 intimitade you, you can actually take your time in it and still get GM.
>>
can you play puyo in pc?
>>378222953
checking it senpai
>>
>>378223138
>can you play puyo in pc?
if you have a rom, yes
>>
>>378219526
Got bored of it within seconds.
my dad got a 110 lines score. i beat his score as a challenge am never touched it again. it was shovelware when it came out and it still is.
>>
>>378223581
so i need an emulator?
can i play the new one tho?
>>
Puyo Puyo Tetris is the best Tetris.
>>
>>378224619
>the new one
whaat new one? puyo puyo tetris? not on PC, there's no emulator yet
and yes you need emulators, for that it depend on which puyo puyo you want to play
>>
>>378223138
Just download PuyoPuyoVs, it's not as active anymore since PPT came out but I still see people set up matches for it every now and then on the Puyo Community Discord, so you could just do that.

>>378221505
>>378222953
I played some TGM1 but honestly Tetris is just fucking boring. The only satisfaction you get out of it is getting faster and faster, which I don't really care much for. I'd much rather play puzzle games that were designed around competing with others like Puyo or even Panel de Pon. You have Vs modes in a lot of modern Tetris games but it was never made with that in mind, they are all pretty lackluster.
>>
>>378219526
Honestly, I don't have much respect of any tetris style puzzle game since the patterns you need to learn are not that many at all. If you know like 50 common patterns in tetris you already are a great player. On the other hand there are fighting games where you need learn thousands of patterns and even more micro patterns.
>>
>>378225531
Pretty much. Tetris is barely even a puzzle game, it requires very little thought and is virtually all pattern recognition.
I really don't see how anyone can claim it's "the best puzzle game ever", honestly a lot of it just sounds like people watched some TGM at one of the AGDQs and were knocked off their feet when they realized that people other than their own mom play Tetris.
>>
>>378225949
>Tetris is barely even a puzzle game, it requires very little thought and is virtually all pattern recognition
name one ((((puzzle game)))) that doesnt do that
>>
File: 1485980779104.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1485980779104.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>378225949
>pattern recognition
>very little thought
le epic bait bro, upboated.
>>
>>378226327
Professor Layton and adventure games in general.

Honestly, even if you play tetris style puzzlers competitively, it completely lacks the mind game of say fighting games or chess. Tetris is a joke.
>>
>>378226612
Those are problem solving games, not puzzle games. Tetris requires more thought than those anyway.
>>
>>378219526>>378224249

Super Tetris 2 and Bombliss is the best Tetris
>>
>>378226850
A puzzle is literally a problem to solve. What a fucking subhuman way to argue yourself out with semantics, though in the end it just fucked your own argument.

And no, since tetris pattern recognition will become autonomous with training while unique problems will always require a base amount of thought. There is a reason why there are some people who completely mastered tetris.
>>
>>378227118
>using your brain is not thinking
>it's only thinking if I say so.
sure thing dumbo.
>>
>>378226327
Puyo for example. It doesn't have any kind of predetermined piece patterns like the boring 7 piece bag randomizer you find in virtually all modern Tetris games and is choke full of mindgames, you have to constantly reevaluate what you are doing and building based on your opponent's field and if you are good even manipulating him.

Tetris is very, very, simple. That's one of its strengths actually, but when you get to the mid to higher levels there is virtually no thought required anymore, you play almost purely on muscle memory based on the patterns you see. How do you think people clear shit like shirase and the invisible credit rolls in TGM?
>>
This is the first video game song I can remember being stuck in my head. Some days I still find myself humming it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3ZiVn5L9vM
>>
>>378227346
You only think in tetris when you are new to the game and play casually. Once you are good you stop thinking and just follow patterns to win the game. In fighting games and chess you learn patterns to acquire the tools to be able to play the mind game. Tetris doesn't provide the same, not even competitively. You just need to find a way to even think less and react faster, that's all there is to tetris.

Please, just stop replying. You have not a single point left.
>>
>>378227687
>Once you are good you stop thinking and just follow patterns to win the game.
Same can be said of high level fighting games and chess. It's like that for literally everything at high level.
But that doesn't mean >it's not thinking because I said so.
>>
File: tetsts.png (107KB, 326x590px) Image search: [Google]
tetsts.png
107KB, 326x590px
quickly, /v/
>go to pick related
>play some matches
>post your highscores

shit gets way to fast for me after 400k, still can't break through
>>
>>378227834
That's wrong alone for the fact that there are so many patterns in fighting games and chess that it's impossible that you will learn them all and keep all your options in mind at all times. In fact, in the mind games surrounding those games one of the goals is it to make your opponent think you will do something you won't do so you can read him so even if all patterns were present at all times there is a psychological component in high level play.

Various component raise the pattern and micro count to absolute absurd numbers while tetris can be mastered completely since the pattern count is very limited.
>>
>>378227834
>It's like that for literally everything at high level.
It's not though. By pure virtue of having an element of randomness you can't fully predict it never gets to that level. You simply do not have that in Tetris whatsoever.
If it wasn't for the predictable and purposefully not random randomizer you would have have to think and weight particular options a lot more, but since there are so few permutations it's actually very simple to just always make the best possible move if you had unlimited time for it. The skill part of Tetris is purely recognizing which permutation you have and repeating a pattern as fast as possible.

Even in competitive Tetris it really never gets much more complex than that, Tetris was simply made to be a very simple game you play against yourself, tacking on a halfhearted Vs mode doesn't change that inherent fact. In most Vs variants of Tetris the opponent might as well not exist your interactions with him are so minor
>>
Baby's first casual game.
>>
>all this shitposting
It's pretty sad to see people call a game shallow if when they never actually tried to learn it. I agree that guideline games are shallow since it's so easy to go for infinite b2b tetrises even with max gravity. But if you try doing the same thing in TGM 1 or 2 then get ready for a few years of training because those games are actually really hard.
Very few single player games have as much depth as TGM2 master mode, and it doesn't even rely on speed that much besides for GM grade. And even an easier game like TGM1 provides as much challenge as a really good shmup, though it's not a game for everyone.
I agree that TGM3 is a more shallow game because of stupid shit like hold and the extra kicks which make stacking for tetrises a joke, which is why this game is much more about speed than the previous ones. But it still has a good learning curve.
Even NES Tetris is pretty deep because of how the DAS and randomizer work, you have to always be ready for everything.

Been playing TGM for over 2 years and still learning
>>
Tetris DX + Korobeiniki for music would be the perfect game
>>
>>378219526
an all-time electronic puzzle classic. Relevant at all generations
>>
File: 1492840244789.png (170KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1492840244789.png
170KB, 480x360px
>>378219526
it's pretty good, especially with puyo puyo around.
>>
>>378219526
It's literally the most overrated game of all time.
But it's still pretty fun and better than a lot of modern AAA games.
>>
TGM4 when

>>378225330
If you're fast enough, at least give TGM2 Death mode a shot. 20G seriously changes up the way you approach piece placement, and you have to learn to deal with your own sub-optimal moves way more often.
>>
>>378229125
Nobody is calling TGM easy, all people are saying is that it doesn't actually require that much thought at all. That doesn't mean it's not fucking hard or it's easy to get good at, I don't think anyone is denying that it takes an absurd amount of practice to get to the really high grades of mastery.
>>
my mom likes it so it's shit
>>
>>378229975
It might not requires a lot of thinking but it requires great intuition. I mean, a lot of top competitive games work on intuition like that and it doesn't deligitimize them. I mean, even TGM3 calls it instinct
What I'm saying is that TGM is deep as fuck and you can keep improving your style even beyond GM grade if you want. I just assume a lot of these people played only guideline games and low-level NEStris so they should see everything the game has to offer before spouting their shitty opinions here.

Fun fact: it's often the people who suck at the game that criticize it for its depth which is ironic because they're the ones who are affected the least by it.
>>
>>378231161
How is that even an argument when looking at the bigger picture? Even with games that don't have much depth people started projecting depth into them and so was speedrunning born. You can train years for speedrunning, you can research new strategies and shit like that and it's hard, it's really fucking hard.

You can always further challenge yourself with made up rules. Challenge and time investment isn't enough anymore to call the true depths of a game. It's a fact that competitive Tetris isn't a true competitive experience. It's a fact that the patterns are limited and that people exist that reached the absolute peak of tetris mastery.

This fact alone, that multiple people exist that broke Tetris, that are beyond what that game has to offer means that Tetris is limited in what it can offer. It's not infinite with its depth like real competitive games or games that are so complex that they are beyond any human capabilities.
>>
>>378232383
None of that delegitimizes the game, it will still take you years before you can reach that level, which is on par with other competitive games.
Whoever was saying that TGM is boring or that it's "just" pattern recognition doesn't know what they're talking about. The same could be said with any other game and it doesn't mean anything.

You guys need to learn to play games for fun, and TGm is fun as fuck
>>
>>378228902
What about Tetris vs Puyo where a high chain from the Puyo player can absolutely destroy you, making you want to clear lines when they would be hurt by garbage the most instead of just playing solo.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.