[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 6

File: axiom verge.png (837KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
axiom verge.png
837KB, 1000x1000px
What went wrong?
>>
>le retro indie sjw pixelshit with a postmodern twist

It was doomed from the start.
>>
Nothing,, it was great. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as Environmental Station Alpha but it's a solid 8/10
>>
It's a fine game, it's just kind of short.
I got it on sale for 10 bucks and don't regret the purchase. I might have if I sprung for it at full price, I like to get at least an hour per dollar I spend on a game
>>
Great game. The main character looked retarded as fuck though. Stupid ass sideburns
>>
Is it over?
>>
>>378211132
His design stank of "self-insert" also game had shitty bosses
>>
Too easy but still pretty cool.
>>
Terrible level design
Just plain boring and terrible
>>
shit bosses
>>
>>378210828
They never released a drm free version on gog and have never done a discount higher than 50% despite it coming out what, 3-4 years ago now?
>>
1. The story is really banal. It starts mysterious, but in the end you realize there was no deeper meaning to it all, and it's just typical time-travel shenanigans.

2. Bosses are not really that memorable besides maybe the trippy one. The final boss is the worst. I wanted to fight Lovecraftian monstrosity from another world like Rusalka that helps you, not myself from the future.

3. Gaem is too short.
>>
>>378212957
No one plays games like this for story.
It was pretty good, hope there will be a sequel or something
>>
>>378213223
If you played it for a story you'd know that sequel is not possible because you literally kill yourself.
>>
>>378210828
Literally just not-Metroid.
>>
>tries to be super metroid
>worse in every conceivable way
what is the point?
>>
>>378210828
>>
>>378210828
Nothing, it's better than Super Metroid. Nintendo can learn a thing or two from this game.
>>
>>378212307

2 years
>>
Haven't actually played a metroid game, but I'm enjoying what I've played of this one. First playthrough on hard is probably helping my enjoyment as well.
>>
>>378215610
yea, i just checked. the devs 2 years ago said they had plans for a gog version 'eventually' but the only comment on a drm free version since then was 'hey buy it on twitch!'. When the game came out i put it in the $5 basket, but they wont even give me a reason to pay more.
>>
Final boss was kind of shoddy.
You couldn't ally with the guy who did literally nothing wrong. He even tells you'd he'd very much like to tell you his true motives, but if he does so, the Rusalki will kill Trace.

>>378212957
>1. The story is really banal. It starts mysterious, but in the end you realize there was no deeper meaning to it all, and it's just typical time-travel shenanigans.
You didn't get the true epilogue and didn't notice the credits roll. There's a pretty big sequel hook for Axiom Verge 2.
Trace is still lying in Sudra, inside the dream maker Veruska. At no point the game alludes to Rusalka being able to return Trace home, and after you beat Athetos Trace just falls asleep. At the very end of the credits roll you can see Trace lying asleep inside Rusalka-like machinery. Then you get the non-real cutscene part with Trace thinking he has been returned to his own world as if nothing had happened. If you got the full completion bonus and unlocked the epilogue Athetos appears out of nowhere, tells Trace he can't run from himself forever, tells him to wake up and shoots Trace. The sequel will most likely be about facing the Rusalki.
>>
absolutely nothing? it's fucking awesome

actually I wished it had more modern controls, more precisely 360 degree aiming[/spoilers]
>>
File: 20160708210832_1.jpg (217KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20160708210832_1.jpg
217KB, 1920x1080px
>>378216265
Pic related. You see this at the end of the credits roll regardless of whether you unlock the extended epilogue or not.
http://axiom-verge.wikia.com/wiki/Veruska
>>
>>378210828
weapon upgrades that don't matter
bosses that don't test your upgrades [when played straight]
mysterious story that has no payoff
pixel hunt level secrets out the ass, some are nice but this is just over the top and adds nothing
>>
Art and music was meh.

I'm hoping Ghost Song has good music, because it has really good art.
>>
I've played like 10 mins of it and honestly I wish I refunded it.

It tries so hard to be a metroid-like but the controls feel sub par in every way. Super clunky to play.
>>
Final boss was just a dps race, some arts were ugly.
Other then that, it's fun.
>>
>>378216932
some of the music was pretty fucking banging
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL68Sp-4Dqs
>>
>>378217052
Just like Metroid, then?
>>
>>378216932
>Art and music was meh.
Nigga you what
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpoiUqSJu4Y
>>
>>378217124
I love how effective of a change it is to simply add kicks and double the speed of the HP beeps to the music of the previous area.
>>
>>378217109
Metroid games are super fluid to play. AV has no angle shooting, only upwards and side. There's no real mobility options, idk it feels wrong.
>>
>>378219147
>There's no real mobility options
You haven't played the game or you dropped it after an hour. Like 50% in you teleport through walls and you have a hookshot. You're full of shit.
>>
>>378219147
AV does desperately need moonwalk style aiming

That said, no movement options? By the end of the game, you can basically shoot yourself from your gun and phase through walls rapidly as if you were radical larry while dealing damage to anything overlapping the space you warped through.
>>
It was released on PS4.
>>
Garbage bosses.
ESPECIALLY the final boss.
Can't even side with him which is retarded.
>>
The enemies are all annoying to fight, every single one of them
>>
>>378210828
As weird as it was, it just wasn't interesting. I got up to the point where I had the scrambler thing, but all the guns I got weren't even fun to use or even that useful. Stopped partway.
>>
>>378210828
shitty ass weaopons. i quit after 2 hours because it wasnt fun
>>
>>378210924
How is it SJW?
>>
>>378210828
I actually really enjoyed this game looking forward to a sequel.
>>
>>378216932
It's not going to be released until 2018 or later. He's not even halfway done.
>>
>>378210828

World design was fairly poor for a Metroidvania. Weapon variety was nice, but other powerups were lacking. I liked the music and graphics a lot.
>>
>>378210924
kys
>>
the main character is one of the least most interesting in history, even for a Metroidvania
>>
>>378224030

this
Why would you pull the old the villain is your self/clone/whatever trick with such a boring protagonist?
>>
>>378224030
You're saying he has less personality than Samus?
>>
>>378210828
it didnt rip metroid enough
>>
>>378224197

If you count Fusion or Prime Trilogy then definitely.

If you're only counting Super then it's close.
>>
Should have explored alternate paths where you decide to fuck up the Rusalka. They were pretty shitty for supposedly being the "good side"
>>
>>378224197
Yes. Especially so if you consider the fact that Other M never happened and is nothing more than a collective fever dream.
>>
>>378210828

The "tap twice to do cool shit" for every new thing you get, the unavoidable damage of some enemies and the last boss, the level design, the lack of a fast travel (you can only take sloooow 'trains' to other areas), the fact every wall could potentially hide a 'glitch' that could lead you to power ups or weapons, which meant you spend more time hitting walls than actually having fun with the game etc.

Still a solid 6/10, with some cool music and weird guns.
>>
>>378210828
I liked it
>>
File: 1444443103528.jpg (47KB, 600x809px) Image search: [Google]
1444443103528.jpg
47KB, 600x809px
>>378210828
I didn't finish the game, I got to the part outside of the caves with the rolling rocks and the things that shoot poison out their backs or something, then the game crashed on me and I hadn't saved in while so I stopped playing. These were my complaints up to that point:

>Artdesign-wise, everything that wasn't a complete rip-off of Geiger's or Metroid felt extremely bland and uninspired.
>Enemies are completely forgettable: Not-geemer; eye in the wall that shoots laser; zombie; spider-thing. Whatever.
>Bosses are a fucking joke mechanics-wise and they look like prolapsed anuses (ani?)
>All early areas are just recolored caves with no defined theme.
>Most weapons are fucking useless.
>This is mostly a nitpick but movement is very boring, it's just "walk around and jump around, clear obstacle sometimes", there isn't any complexity or nuance like in Super Metroid were you can do all kinds of shit.
>>
>>378224648

Absence of fast travel is not a problem if your Metroidvania has good world design.

It does not, however.
>>
>>378210828
I haven't played it but I've heard nothing but positive things about it, so... Nothing?
>>
File: Metroidvanias.jpg (3MB, 2000x8200px) Image search: [Google]
Metroidvanias.jpg
3MB, 2000x8200px
Whatup memelords
>>
>>378217083
That is great. Reminds me of the music in Crusader.
>>
>>378224984

Strider being Meh Tier invalidates this list. The game was fun as fuck. Should have been at least on good tier.
>>
>>378224932
>I haven't played it but I've heard...

Shhhhh be quiet now
>>
File: emperors-new-clothes.jpg (28KB, 353x237px) Image search: [Google]
emperors-new-clothes.jpg
28KB, 353x237px
>>378224984
>La Mulana in top tier
>>
>>378221138
>>378210924
i also want to know this, it it sjw shit?
>>
>>378226070

Nope.
>>
File: tansaku games.jpg (1MB, 1901x1176px) Image search: [Google]
tansaku games.jpg
1MB, 1901x1176px
>>378210828

There's better tansaku games.
>>
>>378225480
Yeah, I liked it enough to beat it twice.
Maybe just because I have a huge hardon for Strider.
>>
>>378226070
Yes the story definitely is
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.