[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Morrowind vs Gothic 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 15

File: Morrowind vs Gothic 2.jpg (585KB, 1276x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Morrowind vs Gothic 2.jpg
585KB, 1276x1440px
Which one is the ultimate king of all open world RPGs?
>>
Gothic 2
>>
Morrowind
Better combat, character building, more pleasant world, plenty of text and no voice acting. The music sure does get old fast, but you can turn it off, or replace it with Oblivion music, so who cares?
>>
>>378181782
I thought this wasn't bait for a second, you got me there
>>
>>378181652
>1 IP
Why even start the thread if you already decided on the answer? Or if you wanted it to be more like a poll that you could contribute to, you should have just made an actual poll. In no situation does what you've done with this thread make any sense.
>>
>>378181386
How about we stop this fucking threads because its always the same shit and leads to no real conclusion.
>>
>>378181869
But it's not bait friend. Morrowind is the best RPG out there, with Elona+ as a close second.
>>
>comparing glorious Gothic 2 to a lazy Bethesda copy+paste turd

not even the same league
>>
Gothic 2 without a doubt
>>
>>378181782
Voice acting is a bad thing.
It drains the budget, means unofficial mods are shitty because they've got no voice acting or shitty voice acting, it can't be changed without great cost, etc
>>
>>378182063
Then why make a thread comparing them in the first place? Why don't you just make your usual "greatest RPG ever" threads? At least they can occasionally be fun with all the different games that people bring up.
>>
Gothic - Quests and NPCs
Morrowind - Lore, setting and atmosphere
>>
You need 300 mods for Morrowind for it to even compete with vanilla Gothic 2
>>
Gothic 2

>hand-crafted open world with content everywhere and hidden stuff behind every rock
>better and more complex side quests
>more challenging combat
>Animated NPCs with daily routines
>Fully voiced
>Better character progression
>Better music
>Better world design
>More comfy
>More immersion
>Funny and memorable NPCs
>Memorable main character

Morrowind

>character customization
>more variety of builds
>better main story
>unique lore
>more freedom
>>
>>378181386
Morrowind's the better RPG, but Gothic 2's got the better open world. Only thing I don't like is how enemy spawns are tied to chapter progress, but in all other aspects of world design it's simply much more detailed. Morrowind has the dubious honor of being the most detailed Bethesda world, but that's the best I can give it in that regard.
>>
>>378182245
I know. I was praising it for having lots of text and no voice acting. My complaint was the music.
>>
>voice acting is bad

Oh the things that you hear on the nu-/v/ these days
>>
>>378183120
>voice acting is good
Literally the definition of casual.
What's your favorite game? Uncharted 4? The Last of Us?
>>
>>378183310
it would have been fine if 95% of the dialogues in Morrowind weren't copy+paste wikipedia articles
>>
>>378183120
Yeah spending hundreds of thousands just so baby doesn't have to read instead of spending it on improving the game is a bad thing.
In addition to the reasons I gave before it also dumbs down the dialogue; haven't you ever noticed that voice acting games have very limited dialogue and often have pure ass systems such as the dialogue wheel system?
I'd take Planescape: Torment's text dialogue over Skyrim's severely restricted voice acted dialogue any day
>>
>>378183495
>Yeah spending hundreds of thousands just so baby doesn't have to read instead of spending it on improving the game is a bad thing.

Woah, Almost makes you think that with all the time they saved on not hiring voice actors they would have polished the entire game but instead the entire game is lazy and copy+pasted.
>>
File: pokemun.png (451KB, 1006x726px) Image search: [Google]
pokemun.png
451KB, 1006x726px
So I was looking at Gothic 2 on steam and noticed that there is a Gothic 3, how come no one talks about that?
>>
>>378183495
Gothic 2 is fully voiced and has much more details and polish than Morrowind faggot
>>
>>378183650
Because it's garbage

Only 1 and 2 are canon Gothic games, ignore the rest
>>
>>378183495
>more words is objectively better

You are playing a game, not reading a book.
>>
>>378181386
Oblivion.
>>
>>378183632
In morrowind you can ask anybody about anything.
Do you really expect developers to write unique dialogue for everybody, even random people who have nothing to do with the quest?
That's a ridiculous thing to ask.
In Gothic 2 can you ask anybody about anything? Or do you get maybe 3 options of things to talk about?
>>
>>378184076
>Do you really expect developers to write unique dialogue for everybody, even random people who have nothing to do with the quest?
That's what they did in Gothic 2

>In Gothic 2 can you ask anybody about anything?

Why would everybody know about everything? What's the point of exploring NPCs when if you talk to one NPC you've basically already heard what every single other person in the city will tell you?

Are you implying that some peasant who works in a farm knows exactly the same stuff as some high rank lord?
>>
>>378183693
>has much more details and polish than Morrowind faggot
Yeah, nah.
>>
>>378184343
They gave everybody unique dialogue but you can only ask people about 2 or 3 things, exactly my point, very simplified, very restricted.
>Why would everybody know about everything? What's the point of exploring NPCs when if you talk to one NPC you've basically already heard what every single other person in the city will tell you?
If they have some relation to the thing you're asking about then they have unique dialogue, if they're just random people then they give a copy paste response.
Did you even play Morrowind?
>>
>>378184343
>Are you implying that some peasant who works in a farm knows exactly the same stuff as some high rank lord?
Dialogue in Morrowind is filtered by class, faction, race, location etc. in addition to the unique dialogue hundreds of NPCs have.
>>
>>378184716
And that's in a game that doesn't even emphasize dialogue.
Compare the dialogue of Fallout 1 to Fallout 4. Which is better, deeper, more interesting?
Fallout 1 obviously, because it's not voice acted
>>
>>378182525

There. You did a great job.

/thread
>>
>>378184394
Every NPC is animated, and has day and night cycle. NPCs do their daily jobs during the day, during the evening they go to a tavern, during the night they go to their homes to their beds to sleep.

Even animals have their AI and routines. You can wait till nightfall and sneak to an animal that went to sleep in its lair. Enemy creatures fight and hunt each other as well.
NPCs react to enemy creatures and will attack them, while in Morrowind the guards don't even react to enemy creatures and bandits inside the town

There is shit ton of details everywhere, every 5 steps there's something unique to find

For example the game presents you with several ways to get past the city guards and into the city:
>bribe the guards
>dress up as a farmer and pretend you're one
>lie that you work for the alchemist in the city
>get a city pass from a merchant

And the game doesn't tell you anything about it but you can also actually go back all the way, jump from a cliff into the sea and take your time and swim all the way to the harbor and get into the city that way and avoid the guards at all

You would think that you found an exploit and that's not what you were supposed to do that, but turns out this was actually what the devs planned as another way to get to the city because you get EXP points and unique dialogues for it
>>
>>378185062
wtf I've played gothic 2 for almost ten years and I didn't know you can just swim around lmao
>>
>>378184813
>>378184076
What really breaks the immersion in Morrowind is that every NPC is all knowing

In Gothic 2, NPCs have their own point of view of things, and are sometimes wrong or you disagree with them.

They can tell you what they think is happening, but thats not actually whats happening. They only know part of the whole story, and it makes sense

In Morrowind every NPC knows everything about everything thats going on in the world
>>
>>378185361
Confirmed for hasn't played Morrowind.
>>
hieves guild in Gothic

>no one knows about them
>the people who know about them won't tell you anything about it
>have to gain people's trust
>if you piss them off they send an assassin after you
>after finding out who they are and where their base is you can either join them after passing a bunch of tests or rat them out to the guards and have them completely wiped out

Thieves guild in Morrowind

>"THIEVES GUILD OVER HERE COME BE A MEMBER TODAY!!!!!1111
>"Hi I want to join ur thieves guild"
>"OK. Welcome"
>>
>>378183478
the wiki thing was cool and i've yet to see another game do it. it makes sense in the context of hearing about things and then asking about them with the keyphrase. you're talking to people in order to gather information, not for witty banter.
>>
>>378185786
>you're talking to people in order to gather information, not for witty banter.

Todd pls
>>
File: thisisart.jpg (154KB, 2048x1302px) Image search: [Google]
thisisart.jpg
154KB, 2048x1302px
Stop trying to push this Gothic 2 meme. NOBODY EVEN PLAYED THAT GAME.
>>
>morrowind
>better combat
>>
>>378186207
>NOBODY EVEN PLAYED THAT GAME.

so you're new to /v/?
>>
>>378186307
No.
>>
File: morrowind combat.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
morrowind combat.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>
>>378186858
looks fun to me, anon! better than modern games!
>>
Both are trash compared to other RPG's. There's already better games in the TES franchise than Morrowind, including the objective best RPG in history.
>>
>>378186858
>start as breton wizard
>WOWWW WHY CANT I USE BLUNT WEAPONS

DSP?
>>
>>378182525
far from objective
>>
File: morph.webm (3MB, 890x500px) Image search: [Google]
morph.webm
3MB, 890x500px
Can morrowicucks do this in their game?
>>
>>378181386
i like both but Gothic 2 is my favorite RPG.
>>
>>378187065
Yes, with lycanthropy.
>>
OP is autistic
>>
>>378181386
But Gothic 1 is miles better than 2...
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LL2iAX-5CWI
>>
>>378187276
only in setting and atmosphere and then again the entirety of the prison colony is still in G2
>>
>>378187386
>>378187330
>>378187276
Guess now I'm gonna replay gothic 1 and 2 all weekend again

>all these years and it's still amazing

nothing except arx fatalis and dark messiah of might and magic come close to this for me lads
>>
>>378187215
This. I've never played Gothic, but I have played Morrowind. Gothic is the better RPG.
>>
>>378182525
>gothic 2
>better and more complex side quests

oh yes those memorable quests
>the one where you need the blessing of two priests to get the approval of some guy
>walk for not even 1 minute to get both blessing and then go back to the guy and just say "hey i got the blessings now"
>that quest where the merchant tells you hes been robbed by a guy and he gives you his name
>you know who the guy is because the npcs name appears atop his head for you the player
>the guy instead of saying "you cant prove anything"starts running and you chase him for 30 seconds in the dumbest chase to ever be in a videogame
>the quest where you have to go from random person to citizen to member of the militia to get to the commander of the paladins
>this takes not even 10 minutes of quests

>more challenging combat
well the developers realized their engine was garbage and the combat incredibly awkward so they just made every enemy sidestep the fuck out of you , hit like a truck and 1vx impossible to tackle

>animated npcs with daily routines
oh yes those two blacksmiths who hammer the same anvil all day or the pirate who goes from the bench inside the building to the bench outside the building

>fully voiced
and? its awful voice acting this is a negative
>funny and memorable npcs
??????
>more comfy
the word is "comfier" pajeet , and its just a meme shut ins like you use to live in a fantasy bubble

hang yourself
>>
>>378187743
t. never made it out of act 1
>>
>>378187743
lmao get good
>>
>>378187743
remember those great morrowind quests? like go to the tomb and bring me the skull? Or go to the cave and bring me the box? Or go to the tomb and bring me X? Or go to the cave and bring me Y?
>>
File: goth.webm (3MB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
goth.webm
3MB, 800x450px
guathic
>>
File: 1490422256788.png (187KB, 318x304px) Image search: [Google]
1490422256788.png
187KB, 318x304px
>>378188140
>you'll never be a part of the swamp camp and just smoke weed all day in the swamp and not give a shit about the political wranglings
>>
>>378188140
B-But why would anyone attack Lares?
>>
File: 1401864044901.png (327KB, 587x518px) Image search: [Google]
1401864044901.png
327KB, 587x518px
>>378181386
By most common metrics, Gothic 2.

However Morrowind manages to do something which no other game has really even come close to doing, in creating a rich, deep fantasy world which isn't just the same generic European world you've seen a thousand times. The multitude of cultures which are all fleshed out and reasonable, and the way they intersect is really unique and makes the world a far more believable world. This is without even getting into the shitloads of "lore" that paint the rest of the Tamriel in a thick detail rarely shown in almost any fantasy work, or the Kirkbride metaphysical bullshit.

Gothic may do a lot of stuff better but it doesn't have that extra facet that makes it truly special. Morrowind is the Patrician's choice.
>>
>>378188820
>Morrowind fags actually believe this schlock
If I take a shit and paint it gold, are you going to on a 5 minute rant on how it's the second coming of christ too?
>>
>>378188820
Morrowind is the better book
Gothic 2 is the better game
>>
>>378186105
most games' attempts at witty banter fall horribly flat anyway, so morrowind's system is perfect. and at $14.99 on steam, it's a steal. buy my fucking game.
>>
>>378188575
>you will never smoke weed to summon an ancient demon

Swamp camp is best camp, I wish it was more fleshed out in the same way the other two are though. I was so upset when I realized I couldnt get the best spells

>>378188729
i was high on a marijuana cigarette i was not in control of my body
>>
File: 1494632405322.gif (151KB, 278x225px) Image search: [Google]
1494632405322.gif
151KB, 278x225px
>>378182525
>more freedom
>better lore
>more variant builds
>better character customization

I have not played either but from what you are saying it sounds like morrowond is a hundred times a better RPG. Not even debatable
>>
File: 3.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
3.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Raven (2).webm (3MB, 1000x528px) Image search: [Google]
Raven (2).webm
3MB, 1000x528px
>>
>>378188820
Plus better mods.
>>
Both are boring and shitty

if you want to play video games for story, go read a book. Video game stories are not fleshed out well, they are like movies or TV shows. Video games are about atmosphere, not plot.

if you want to play this game just because you love how ridiculously OP your character gets in the late stages and you like to fuck around in single player games with basically god mode on, then go ahead, but don't act like you're playing a "hardcore" game

morrowind is fucking garbage
>>
>>378189773
am i the only one who finds the camera nauseating? i gave the game a shot but quit almost immediately due to the camera and controls
>>
>>378190513
Shhhhh the Morrowind babbies might hear you and go on a 10 minute autistic rant about how you're wrong.
>>
File: more skeltals.webm (3MB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
more skeltals.webm
3MB, 1000x562px
>>378190773
>am i the only one who finds the camera nauseating?
Most likely
>>
>>378189349
yep, but gothic is infinitely better action-rpg. Only superior aspect of morrowind is its core RPG-ness, meanwhile it fails in every other aspect. Morrowind don't have cool combat system, and its "builds" are not nearly as well-done as Gothic ones. in Gothic, you get different animations and combos with your weapon proficiency levels, in morrowind you get higher chance to hit character even though you clearly hit him with your sword.

Also, dev's love for the world detail is amazing even by today standards. Even every no-name npc in the world who serves no purpose in story whatsoever still has his daily cycle where he sits by fireplace, talks with people, washes in water bucket, does any other stupid shit people do, every camp is full of uniqueness and style. Gothic was really ahead of its times when it got out, and even today it still suprises with level of detail it has.
>>
File: raped.webm (3MB, 1250x702px) Image search: [Google]
raped.webm
3MB, 1250x702px
>>
>>378181386
Morrowind no contest. It's simply a better video game and RPG in nearly ever way.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.