[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automata: Great Game, Bad JRPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 10

Was Nier Automata helped in any way by its reluctance to abandon old JRPG mechanics?
Having cleared to ending E, I thoroughly enjoyed the story, gameplay, setting, and dialogue, but it didnt feel like a JRPG, it felt like it was a typical Platinum game pretending to be one.
The open world was pretty but backtracking was tedious, especially when the area design was already so linear, and the subquests were, with a few exceptions, totally unnecesarry and more chores to pad out the time.
Yoko Taro has, historically, told a story despite the medium rather than through it, and i feel like the superfluous JRPG mechanics were more vestigial ties to the previous games rather than a positive addition to Nier: Autamata as a game.
>>
>>378155818
Did you playe Nier or any Drakengard game? THEY ARE NOT JRPG DUDE
>>
To clarify, when i say JRPG elements, im referring to:
-open world map
-sidequest system
-level system
-variable enemy scaling

None of these are bad traits in themselves, but none were well intergrated into the game and in my opinion only hampered the experience
>>
>>378156301
What do you define as a JRPG
>>
>>378156424
>What do you define as a JRPG
Not this shit again
>>
>>378155818
To keep it short, fuck you, your taste sucks. I loved exploring the game world and doing side quests, and removing those would have made it a much weaker game as far as I'm concerned.

Also
>Yoko Taro has, historically, told a story despite the medium rather than through it
I don't even know how the fuck is it possible to be that wrong. Taro specifically uses the medium to his advantage in every game he's made, he's a fucking master of that.

>>378156301
Original Nier is a JRPG through and through.

Drakengards are more of a different thing because of their menu- and level-based structure though arguably they also count as JRPGs.
>>
>>378155818
jrpgs are garbage like any """genres""" the Japs produce, so it's fine for me
>>
>>378157910
>To keep it short, fuck you, your taste sucks. I loved exploring the game world and doing side quests, and removing those would have made it a much weaker game as far as I'm concerned.
>Taro specifically uses the medium to his advantage in every game he's made, he's a fucking master of that.
This.

Never considered either Nier a JRPG though.
>>
>>378157910
>Original Nier is a JRPG through and through.
Nope. It's an action game with rpg elements.
>>
>>378155818
>yoko taro has, historically, told a story despite the medium rather than through it
what? all his games have been about pushing the medium to it's limits. Hell the entire ending fo nier is about pushing the medium, as if you really care enough about the characters, you can sacrifice your save and entire character to save her
>>
>>378160026
I absolutely enjoyed the exploration aspect of the open world, im not advocating the removal of that, my point was more that the open world was designed in such a segmented fashion that it wouldnt have lost anything if it functioned in stages akin to bayonetta, which featured the exact same exploration elements, and the effect of the open world hub was a lot of needless backtracking.

And i loved the sidequests that provided strong side narratives, like the ex-resistance couple and such, but for a game that moved at such a fast pace and so rapidly made quests inaccesible if you didnt do them immediately, within that context it was frustrating to suddenly find a quest failed just for progressing the story
>>
>>378160472
I should have worded this better, i meant the medium in terms of the genre rather than in terms of games as a whole, i absolutely agree that Yoko Taro pushes the medium, but these aspects work regardless of the game being a JRPG, bringing me back to the original point that it was an amazing game that didnt need or properly utilize those characteristics
>>
>>378161550
I agree with you, it especially hurts during fights like Koshi-Roshi and A2 vs 9S, as if you're high enough level you just melt them and it feels very anticlimatic. I wasn't very high level during my first playthrough (stopped at 50) but in subsequent playthroughs where I did all the side quests, fights just ended too quickly. Most people don't even get to see the hacking interface for A2 since she just dies after 2-3 hacks.
>>
>>378161210
Nah I had no problem with the backtracking, and you unlock fast travel pretty quickly if you really want to avoid it. I love the sense of familiarity and place that backtracking brings. You're basically asking for RE4 or Metroid Fusion where you are constantly moving forward, while I want Resident Evil 1 or Super Metroid. Linearity is all well and good but I prefer Automata the way it is.

Also what exploration was ever in either Bayonetta game? Outside of Ninja Gaiden 1/Black and DMC1 there's little in the way of exploration in those types of games. Bayo especially railroads you from area to area.
>>
>>378161908
The problem is that the exploration that Nier offers is the exact same sort in Bayonetta, its not a large world, your exploration is limited to the discovery of hidden corners and secrets, rewards for curiosity in a game that otherwise DOES have you moving forward on a straight path.
In both bayonetta and Nier, you can find secret areas containing bonus rewards and new weaponry, and making the game an open world doesnt notably increase your ability to find new things
>>
wew you femcunts really think 9s is such a great character with the best gameplay just because he has more options? What? He lacks of movesets, he's slow, has just one weapon. You can use glitches and cancel animations with any of the playable characters, but it belongs to the cuhrayzee side which he's still lacks of.

His hacking minigames are very annoying, I have no idea how the heck you can deflect this counter argument with subjectivity. I bet you saying that because ''9s lol the best character in whole nier I need to post a pic of him'' the same mentality as tokyo ghoul fanatics.

Guess what: quantity=/=actual good mechanic

He's also broken piece of shit

You have no idea about games and shit
Kill yourselves.
>>
File: 9sfags.png (172KB, 780x770px) Image search: [Google]
9sfags.png
172KB, 780x770px
>>378162848
>>
>>378162451
Open world let's you return to previous areas at your leisure to look for new secrets or formerly inaccessible areas. It also lets you tackle side quests when you want to. It also allows the environments to change as the story advances such as city ruins post invasion and the factory after suicide cult. It's not like Bayo at all
>>
File: 1488908046449.jpg (7KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1488908046449.jpg
7KB, 184x184px
>>378162848
This is you right now.
>>
>>378162848
9S is an annoying faggot and an awful character but the combination of hacking, remote control, and the usual attacks makes him the most enjoyable to play as for me. 2B and especially A2 are better characters but less versatile and less enjoyable to play.
>>
>>378155818
A2 needs more

S O F T
O
F
T

outfits to go with her long hair
>>
>>378155818
It could've gone more RPG, it could've gone more action. Really the problem is that it didn't go far enough in any direction and it was balanced so poorly.

Honestly I think the game should've had more distractions and side stuff. Slower pacing would've helped the first half. More content would've helped the second.
>>
I don't understand why people say this game is so great.

The boy gets turned into a robot and then it just ends. It's beyond stupid and my only regret is I didn't refund it sooner.
>>
>>378161210
The backtracking was essential as it familiarized you with areas and brought you back to them to see them in different ways from different perspectives to change what you thought you knew.
>>
>>378163470
It just needed better difficulty balance. Normal is too easy and hard is bullshit at the beginning until you get good chips and it becomes too easy again. Hard mode in the demo was balanced much better.

>>378163501
Too obvious.
>>
>>378155818
>muh genre

I see you're smart
>>
>>378163501
lol

>no 9S, you are the machines

And then 9S was a robot
>>
File: 63059161_p0.png (773KB, 850x1202px) Image search: [Google]
63059161_p0.png
773KB, 850x1202px
>>378163043
Fucking this you are my brother

>>378163269
I KNOW IT'S FUN TO REK FEMCUNTS

>>378163376
>more enjoyable
I never heard it, but HE'S FUCKING NOT WHAT? IT'S LITERALLY THE SAME SHIT AS A2 AND 2B AND A2 IS BEST AND THE MOST ENJOYABLE WHEEEEEE

I have no idea if subjectivity can have a shittaste on it but you are the perfect candidate for it.

A2 dlc when
>>
I really wish I liked Automata as much as a lot of people seem to. I was looking forward to it a lot and I did enjoy it for the most part, but I see people talk about it as this masterpiece that gripped their hearts and minds and I just didn't get that. I feel like I'm missing out on something and it's frustrating.
>>
>>378164502
DLC anon stop
>>
File: 1402091709365.jpg (86KB, 1000x686px) Image search: [Google]
1402091709365.jpg
86KB, 1000x686px
>>378164784

None of the games in this series ever get the budget/time to cram in all the shit you have to dig for in extra materials that don't even get localized half the time. If you don't feel like digging you run off of implications and your own conclusions.
>>
File: Trivia man.png (175KB, 279x273px) Image search: [Google]
Trivia man.png
175KB, 279x273px
>>378164784
>Really hyped for Automata
>It comes out
>Didn't like it as much as the first Nier.
>Or even DoD1/3.
>>
>>378163963
Hackerman waited. The lights above him blinked red and sparked out of the air. There were machines in the network. He didn’t see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to The Commander were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway.
Hackerman was a type 9 Scanner model for many years. When he was young he watched the combat models fighting the machines together and he said to Operator 21O “Having a partner looks kind of fun.”
21O said “No! You will BE KILL BY 2B”
There was a time when he believed her. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the space station base of YorHA he knew there were machines.
“This is 21O” the radio crackered. “You must fight the machines!”
So Hackerman gotted his katana and blew up the wall.
“THIS CANNOT CONTINUE” said the machines
“I will shoot at him” said the biggest machine and he fired the bullethell missiles. Hackerman hacked the missiles and thew them back at him. But then the ceiling fell and they were trapped and not able to kill.
“No! I must kill the machines” he shouted
The radio said “No, Hackerman. You are the machines”
And then Hackerman became as gods.
>>
>>378155818
It's an ARPG.
>>
>9s was the only real character

What a garbage cast
>>
File: nierr-2017-may-26-009.jpg (729KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
nierr-2017-may-26-009.jpg
729KB, 1600x900px
has anyone here pirated it and finished ending E? ive heard of people doing it with a trainer but it doesnt seem to work in this minigame for me.
>>
>>378166896
Use cheatengine. Scan for 3 when you haven't taken a single hit, then scan for 2 after one hit and so on.
By the time you scan for 1 you should have only one result, set it as 'active' on any number from 1 to 3 and just ram the titles with your pod.
>>
>>378166476
You mean shit game

>9s has android issues
>I'M JUST A HORNY LITTLE BOY I HAVE BEEN STALKING MOST OF THE YORHA UNITS AND IF THEY DON'T MIND I CAN TWEAK THEIR OCS LOL
>nou I hav tooubo isues me diys
>FOOK U mashoons fook u A2
>me the true villain of the game the final basslol
>u have to read side materials just to get the true tooubo and 9s experience
people defend this shit
>>
>>378155818
>game has level system
>IT'S A JRPG! JRPG is a genre you dudebro faggots!
>>
Japanese Bioshock Infinite
>>
File: FB_IMG_1492161941887.jpg (23KB, 588x523px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1492161941887.jpg
23KB, 588x523px
>any criticisms of Automata, even constructive ones like this that could possibly lead to an improved definitive edition of the game somewhere down the line a la MGS3 and DMC3
>DOOD DID U EVEN PLAY DRAKENGARD AND THE 1ST NIER U FUCKIGN RETARD ANYTHING U SAY IS WRONG U JUST DONT GET IT

People complain about bait but act like this when people are trying to have actual constructive discussions
>>
>>378168524
I don't give a rats ass about NieR:Automata HD edition.

I give a shit about Drakengard "This game ran like a rancid asshole," 3. That game could benefit from an improved edition MUCH MORE than NA.
>>
>>378168798
>Drakengard 3's DLC will forever be overpriced and not worth buying
>tfw no complete edition of the game with all the DLC bundled
>tfw no Drakengard trilogy on PS4 with all of the Drakengard games bundled together
>>
>>378168524
>people think the casual camera in mgs3 was an improvement

you're the reason the series went to hell
>>
>>378165336
I thought the main story was the weakest part of the game, so I'm not sure reading extra material would change much for me.

>>378165589
I haven't even played any of the previous Yoko Taro games, just heard bits and pieces about them and thought Nier Automata looked cool. I went into it almost entirely blind because I'd heard Taro's games have good stories and I wanted it all fresh and spoiler-free which just made it all the more disappointing when the main story never grabbed me. I was waiting the whole game for it to finally "click", but then I got to Ending E and I realized that was it. It was a frustrating thing to experience and has kind of tainted my feelings on a game that I otherwise really liked.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.