[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did think of Doom 2016 Before and After Release?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: doom.jpg (65KB, 260x370px) Image search: [Google]
doom.jpg
65KB, 260x370px
What did think of Doom 2016 Before and After Release?
>>
Trash before release
Decent at best after release
>>
/v/:
Before: hated

After: liked
>>
Before: Decent hype, but not over the top. Bought at sale, not full price.

After: GOTY cummies Mick Gordon please have my children
>>
File: ourgod.png (7KB, 259x249px) Image search: [Google]
ourgod.png
7KB, 259x249px
before: meh, that shotgun aesthetic tho.
after: its..perfect, in its own element.
amazingly pulled off throwback to a golden age, while being able to achieve so much more of the original vision thnx to technology. its like the fury road of video games.
why is this so hard to do?
>>
>>378152642
it isn't a throwback at all
it's more like painkiller but with enemy variety
>>
before: this looks pretty sweet. I hope the glory kills don't ruin it.

after: that sure was fun. I wish there were less arenas and more hand-placed enemies. And something was way off with the sound levels. But god damn was that a blast to play through.
>>
>>378151434
I thought it was going to be shit, especially after the MP beta, but I actually really, really enjoyed it and thought it was one of the best SP FPS campaigns in recent memory.
>>
>>378151434
Before: looks ehh
After: Its was alright for the first half, last half sucked. Too many arenas
>>
>>378152919
it's only "painkiller but with enemy variety" because
a)the engine cant handle more than 20 enemies with the level of ai the game has because consoles
b)you never really encountered more than 20 monsters at a time in doom 1 and 2 anyway
i'm guessing because of those two factors that they decided to go with the painkiller approach

also painkiller's maps aren't nearly as open ended as maps like foundry
>>
>>378151434
Before I thought it looked like it might be a mediocre but enjoyable shooter sith Doom window dressing. After I played it it was my 2016 GOTY.
>>
>>378151434
Before : Meh

After : Eh

I still haven't played it, even though I've played 1+2 plus a bunch of wad mods.
>>
File: 1435726040078.jpg (121KB, 524x492px) Image search: [Google]
1435726040078.jpg
121KB, 524x492px
Before: It sounded like a fucking apocalypse
After: Its an ok game, managed to surprise me. Soundtrack still garbage though.
>>
>>378151538
>Trash before release
>Decent at best after release
More or less this.
While there are more than a few who think D44M is the second coming of Christ, I think a lot more just thought it was ok. I can say for sure that I'm a huge Doom fan and D44M just didn't grab me. It felt a lot more like Brutal Doom than actual classic Doom to me and that killed a lot of my enjoyment. It was the action-oriented Doom to Doom 3's scare-focused Doom, but neither 4 nor 3 has the superb balance between the two that the classic Dooms have to me.

The soundtrack is also turboshit to me but that's just, like, my opinion man. I expected something much more akin to Quake 2's soundtrack rather what we actually ended up getting. Multiplayer is also pretty shit and Snapmap is an absolute slap in the fucking face compared to the mod tools Doom has previously had.

Just my 2 cents here, take what you will.
>>
>>378151434
I thought Doom before and after.
>>
Bought it on sale for 10 bucks, didnt bother installing it since its like 80 gigs, is it worth it?
>>
>>378153603
>b)you never really encountered more than 20 monsters at a time in doom 1 and 2 anyway
While true to an extent, it's pretty far from an absolute. Hell, I can recall from memory one example. In Map 16 of Doom 2 (The Suburbs?), when you collected a certain key you would be swarmed by a shit ton of Mancubi, Cacodemons, and imps who would all teleport in from a separate room. There was CERTAINLY more than 20 there.

Plus, while I know you mentioned Doom 1 and 2 in specific, Plutonia would like to have a word with you and your "fighting no more than 20 monsters at a time". It has some very eloquent Heavy Weapon Dudes and Revenants that would like to try to convince you otherwise.

>a)the engine cant handle more than 20 enemies with the level of ai the game has because consoles
This is the real travesty. I'd much rather have the game look a little worse if it meant that I could make my own maps outside of Snapmap and place more than a handful monsters in them at any one time.
>>
>>378151434
Top 5 anime twists 2016
>>
Far before when it was rumored to be a CoD clone on earth: no way fag

First E3 trailer: looks interesting

After playing: Pretty good, fun game.

It will never top the first and second game because no modding tools but I had plenty of fun.
>>
>>378154130
>quake 2 ost

its so good
>>
>>378151434
Before: very high expectations
After: expectations met
>>
>>378154130
Ok, I gotta ask, how did you find the first doom scary? Admitedly I played it in 20010 when I was 15, but I did not find it either scary or tense, andI am the onw who could not finish Republix commando till I was 17 cause the derelict ship scared me too much. I am aware the graphics were old when I played it, but I think the atmosphere is the most important part of anything, not the actual look of the game. That being said, I enjoyed D44M a lot more, since it, like you said, it was closer to brutal doom, but amped to 11.
>>
File: 20170526_160418.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170526_160418.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>378151434

I'll know in a few hours
>>
>>378155932
i first played doom in 1995 when i was six and i didn't really remember it being scary at all. it probably helped that my dad put in iddqd for me though
>>
File: 1482445301398.jpg (31KB, 266x340px) Image search: [Google]
1482445301398.jpg
31KB, 266x340px
>>378156117
>DOOM
>On XBone
>>
>>378155932
I need to stop posting when I am sleepdeprived, my text made little to no sense and I have a god awfull amount of spelling errors. Gonna go to sleep now, bye.
>>
Before: Look decent.
After: It's fucking awesome.
>>
>>378155932
>Ok, I gotta ask, how did you find the first doom scary?
I was young when I first played 'em. I think I was like 4 when Doom came out and I first played it. Fucking god damn, it sounds corny as fuck now, but back then that shit felt so realistic. I mean FUCK, it's like I was really on some Martian moon. I really got into it. Between the atmospheric music on some levels to the breaks between combat building suspense, it got pretty spooky at times.

I distinctly remember playing Doom 2 when it first came out and having to stop since I just couldn't take it. My dad played it before I did and when I got to Map 9 (The Crusher), my dad started teasing me because he knew what was coming.
>Anon's gonna get punched by a Revenant~
>Anon's gonna get punched by a Revenant~
Fucking god damn, I can still hear it.
I had no idea what a "Revenant" was but all I knew was he was coming for my ass. I was tense the entire fucking level and when he finally popped out for the first time I nearly shit myself at his wake-up noise.
I hit escape, nope'd the fuck out, and didn't play for the rest of the day.

Funny, now I look at a game and I see a slight texture or shadow error and I get taken completely out of things, but back then I was scared by a skeleton sprite and a digitized sound sample. How times change I guess.

>>378156471
>it probably helped that my dad put in iddqd for me though
Fuck, my dad might have been an asshole then. Did he also get you to play the scary maze game like mine did? He got me good with that one.
>>
>>378156941
kek'd at your father, seems real nice guy for letting you play doom
>>
>>378156941
I think our dads might have been somewhat similar, since my hatred of scary games/movies come from him letting me watch movies like the ring when I was 8 ao I could "learn by myself" why i should not watch movies rated above my age.
>>
>>378156568

>marginal improvements matter
>>
>>378158148
>playing an FPS with a controller
>>
>>378151434
I was very excited for it

It came out, I enjoyed it, then went back to classic doom and haven't touched doom 2016 since. I hope they release modding tools or more sp content soon.
>>
>>378157117
>seems real nice guy for letting you play doom
He's chill as hell. Gave me a great deal of independence growing up. Very much a "I trust you, so I'll let you do you and learn by yourself when you fuck up" kinda dad.

He was also the one who got me into vidya in the first place. He gave me his old 2600 and bought me a Super Nintendo when he could get one for cheap. I remember him buying a PS2 around launch "for the kids", but like a day after we unwrapped it he ran to Fry's and bought a few steering wheel controllers to play Gran Turismo 3 with.
He did give my sister and I funny looks when we got into Kingdom Hearts though, me more than her. Oh well.

He's definitely getting old though. All he seems to play now is MMO's like Age of Conan and World of Tanks and mobileshit like Candy Crush. He was interested in playing D44M but his computer took a shit before I could set it up for him.

>>378157242
>my hatred of scary games/movies come from him letting me watch movies like the ring when I was 8 ao I could "learn by myself" why i should not watch movies rated above my age.
Holy fuck, my dad did the exact same thing. For like a month after I just KNEW that Chucky was going to sneak out from under my bed and gut me while I slept. I was absolutely terrified and he just kept giving me that "I told you were too young" look.
Taught me a damn good lesson.

Man, good memories. I've been in a funk for a while but thinking back on this shit really makes me happy.
>>
>>378158359
On the subject of control schemes, how hair-pullingly frustrating is it to play modern FPS with just the keyboard?
>>
File: 1470501396505.png (225KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
1470501396505.png
225KB, 324x324px
>>378151434
Expecting a good game before, got exactly that after.
Too bad the original is still more fun and has more replayability.
>>
>>378151434
Thought it looked good before. Seemed to not have any of the overblown and annoying military pathos that plagues so many games. Mildly optimistic but not too interested.

Surpassed all expectations when playing, fun as FUCK to play and so satisfying.
>>
>>378158856
>how hair-pullingly frustrating is it to play modern FPS with just the keyboard?
Depends on the level of verticality. Overall though, it's almost impossible without some form of vertical auto aim.
>>
>>378151590
This. They did a horrible job of demoing the game. Demos of single player made it look really slow, and multiplayer was (and mostly is) a dumpster fire.
>>
File: 1458945606064.png (143KB, 378x414px) Image search: [Google]
1458945606064.png
143KB, 378x414px
>>378151434
I hated the new Wolfenstein and thought this was going to be more of the same. Turned out to basically be its polar opposite. Enemies get in my face, I can't just hang back and abuse hitscan weapons, very little cinematic shit, what was there was evenly paced, and the movement in the game actually let me play around with the arenas each combat segment took place in.
>>
>Before
Horrible. Was in the first alpha with already low expectations and it didn't even hit those.

>During
MP was still shit but the campaign was a very pleasant surprise.

>After
Completely forgot about it about a week after beating it.

I hope it's not like Wolfenstein TNO where I revisit it after a year it's a lot shittier than I remember.
>>
>>378151434
Before: Cheap cash in on the Doom title, will probably just feel like CoD wearing a Doom skin

After: Gameplay was tight, everything played like it should, very surprised and impressed
>>
before: gonna be shit
after: pretty good but glory kills should have been scrapped and guns should have been more powerful and add more enemies to compensate for the stronger guns

i mean look at the original doom shotgun compared to D44M, atleast its not as bad as doom 3 shotgun i guess.
>>
>>378151434
>I hope it's good
>It was good
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.