[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

when will this little fucker stop freelancing? I swear to god

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 3

File: fugu.png (491KB, 1024x536px) Image search: [Google]
fugu.png
491KB, 1024x536px
when will this little fucker stop freelancing? I swear to god it's getting annoying
>>
>be a wagecuck goy, don't rely on your talent that allows you to be hired whenever you want
>>
>>378126178
He fucked himself over by being a freelancer.
>>
>>378126178
I wish he, Josh Sawyer, and Tim Cain would just get over their creative differences and make VtMB 2.
>>
>>378126502
But he's never gonna lead a project like this
>>
>>378126779
Maybe he doesn't want to lead a project anymore and he effectively retired.
>>
>>378126698
Did Josh even work on VtMB?
>>
>>378126698
But that's not how creativity works. You need to be on the same page with your creative team.
>>
>>378126779
feargus urquart already said avellone rejected multiple offers to lead a project at obsidian post kotor2.

avellone will never again be director on anything.
>>
>>378126698
>I wish he, Josh Sawyer, and Tim Cain would just get over their creative differences
what creative differences?
these three have literally never worked together before on the same project.
>>
>>378126881
I'm not okay with that.
>>
>>378126943
No, avellone just doesn't wanna work with obsidian, he's explicitly said so.
>>
>>378127361
is that so?
then why has he literally not written anything major for any other company then? Or led any other project?
He quit Obsidian because of Chris Parker. That's it. He doesn't hate anyone else there.
>>
>>378127526
prey seems like it was a fairly significant involvement. Ultimately, I dunno if he wants to lead, but obsidian having offered him work is not convincing, the guy just seems on bad terms with them no matter how you look at it.

SB: Hypothetically, if Obsidian were to make a hypothetical new Fallout spinoff, would you hypothetically want to go back to obsidian and have some involvement with it being that Fallout is so close to your heart?

CA: No. While I like the developers and wish them all the very best, there's too many other problems at the higher managerial level to ever consider stepping back, especially when you could make a step in a direction that mattered for the franchise. Even leads at Obsidian have said as much (most after departing), and they told me they felt helpless in their roles to do what they felt was the right decision.
>>
>>378126178
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/865671220544421888
never
>>
>>378127747
>prey seems like it was a fairly significant involvement.
It wasn't. He only wrote a handful of audio logs and e-mails. He had no other involvement whatsoever. He came in on the project when the game was 1 and 1/2 year away from release.

>there's too many other problems at the higher managerial level to ever consider stepping back,
Yes, ie. Chris Parker, who is a massive fucking asshole to everyone there. There's a famous event on stream where he gets caught yelling at the South Park team "what the fuck are you doing at this party? Get the fuck back to work!" and Feargus intervenes and says "No, fuck you. Stay here guys".
>>
>>378127928
that's very upsetting, but not entirely damning.
>>
>>378127990
that sounds neat. got a vid?
>>
>>378128383
nope, didn't save the twitch stream vod
i know some guy has the link though, I initially watched it here on /v/
>>
>>378126698
get rid of sawyer, he kills all fun and interesting shit
>>
>>378126613
How so? He's still relevant because of it
>>
>>378129212
yeah sawyer can fuck off. People like Mitsoda or boyarsky instead.
Muh grognards xddd
>>
>>378129314
He's done too much to ever not be relevant
>>
I have it on good authority that he's working on arcanum 2.
>>
I can imagine that doing some freelance writing is a lot less exhausting than working as a creative lead on something like Planetscape Tournament, Kotor 2 or the New Vegas DLCs, but considering how much acclaim those aforementioned titles tend to get for their writing & stories (especially in comparison to his other little bits of writing), I hope that he'll eventually be willing take on a new big project and write something comprehensive again
>>
Stop reminding me how much I hate working for someone instead of myself, Chris.
>>
>>378126178
What is his next game to be released? DOS2?
>>
>>378133197
Yeah probably. or some kinda thing no one has heard about. he just released an enchanced edition of pst
>>
>>378129570
>too big to fail
>>
all his creative energy from his youth washed away. He knows this and is scared to release anything because he knows it won't compare to his older stuff.
>>
>>378134421
No, NV was good.
>>
>>378134943
That was Josh's project.
>>
>>378135038
not the good parts
>>
Why the fuck would anyone willing admit they wrote Prey?
>>
>>378135096
literally the most quoted and discussed character in NV was written by Josh.
>>
>>378135138
Cause it's getting a really positive reception? John Carpenter praised the writing
>>
>>378135138
He wasn't the lead writer for Prey though
>>
>>378135245
ok
>>
>>378134943
didn't he literally just do cass?
>>
>>378134943
New Vegas was released 7 years ago
>>
>>378135489
Yes, and Dead Money, Old World Blues, and Lonesome Road.
>>
>>378135650
They made him do 3/4 of the DLCs? Wow, poor guy. Must have been a rough time.
>>
>>378135823
Yeah. And two of them are complete shit. Wonder what the fuck he was thinking.
>>
File: 34.png (428KB, 566x609px) Image search: [Google]
34.png
428KB, 566x609px
>>378135259
>>
>>378135926
>using tucker as a reaction image
>>
>>378129031
Huh,hope some anon will share it.
>>
>>378127018
They worked together on Pillars of Eternity. Apparently Josh nixed Chris' stuff, which caused him to leave the company
>>
>>378126909
No, that was just Tim Cain. Still, all of them are Black Isle refugees.
>>
>>378138456
Josh isn't part of "higher management". Chris wasn't incredibly upset about the GM cut (she was a shit companion anyway) and he doesn't hold a grudge against Josh like people like to fantasize about.
>>
>>378129212
He's responsible for a lot of what made New Vegas great. I can't get a read on him.
>>
>>378138553
vtmb is troika tho.
>>
>>378138643
how do you know? he does seem a bit bitter on obsidian.
>>
>>378138835
read>>378127747

>No. While I like the developers and wish them all the very best, there's too many other problems at the higher managerial level to ever consider stepping back
>>
>>378138456
That's a baseless rumour. It's more likely that he had a problem with higher ups making decisions outside of his control than creative differences with another designer.
>>
>>378138758
Which Tim Cain founded with Leonard Boyarsky after they left Interplay and Blackisle in 1998
>>
>giving a shit about celebrity devs or whatever
>it has this guy on it it must be good
>it doesn't have anyone I've heard of it must not be good

why do you do this
>>
>>378138948
Idk why you think josh doesn't count as higher management just because he isn't a company owner.
>From an outside perspective, however, it appears when Bethesda likes working with a studio or see their potential, they seem to buy them (Arkane). They didn't buy Obsidian, though, even though Obsidian is eager to be bought based on recent interviews. It might be for the best - I don't know what would happen to the devs if Obsidian was bought, but the upper management would likely come out okay with that exit strategy.
Idk, for someone as unerringly neutral and professional as Avellone, there must be SOME bad blood to say things like this
>>
>>378139250
Because Sawyer isn't higher management. He isn't management at all, he's a director for their video game projects.
>>
>>378139250
? Maybe because Josh ISN'T upper management? He literally has nothing to do with the management of Obsidian. He doesn't deal with publishers, he doesn't deal with finance, he doesn't deal with human resources and recruiting, he doesn't deal with economic strategy, he doesn't deal with budget. All he is is literally a game director and designer.

And your statement only supports what I said in the post you're quoting.
>>
>>378139463
>>378139491
Whatever I'll still choose to believe he dislikes sawyer cause I idolize MCA and I don't think much of sawyer, and it's nice when your idols agree with you.
>>
>>378139683
yeah you do that fuckboy
>>
>>378139770
You're damn right I'm a fuckboi
>>
>>378139006
Oh cool. I guess it all got wrapped up in Gamerate and that transsexual tombstone controversy that the truth was somewhat lost. Glad to know some of my favorite video game devs don't hate each other.
>>
>>378140189
huh? who ever related chris departure to gamergate? Your social circle is unhealthy, please do better.
>>
>>378140313
"My social circle" doesn't know who the fuck Chris Avellone is. It was just the rumor on 4chan at the time. Chris left suddenly, and then Josh buckled under that controversy. Since a lot of people here disagreed with Josh's decision, I think the rumor grew out of that. People thought Josh Sawyer was some kind of SJW who wanted Chris' story lines to be PC or something. I don't remember. It was a crazy time.
>>
>>378140575
Weird. Chris has never been that controversial, he's just a really competent writer, not an edgy one. In fact his twitter can be a bit cringy at times for someone that doesn't like sjws.
>>
>>378139189
>hurrr why would you even care who directed the film
>>
>>378140802
The rumor that I heard was that Durance and Grieving mother had some kind of weird rape thing that Josh cut out because it would offend people.

Glad that that wasn't the case.
>>
>>378139189
I fucking hate the "there are multiple people on a project so the lead director doesn't matter because he can't be held responsible for every component" meme. leave.
>>
>>378141429
Man, that'd be terrible. I am afraid we are losing tragedy and the dark side of humanity with all the pandering going on.
>>
narrative designers are the cancer that killed gaming
>>
>>378141328
>>378141546
I'd rather just play the game rather than obsess over which staff member from this company I don't work for is responsible for which decision. it doesn't matter unless you're thinking about hiring them
>>
>>378141665
It's a way to find good games. just like reading more from an author you like is a good way to find enjoyable story with qualities you know you like.
also I feel invested in the industry that's been a part of my life like this, I'd like to see the talent flourish.
>>
>>378141665
Or you know, just following people who's creative works you have enjoyed.

Are you a retard or something?
>>
File: 1466412140936.png (147KB, 268x401px) Image search: [Google]
1466412140936.png
147KB, 268x401px
>>378135926
But he's right though, faggot.
>>
>>378142062
>look a new rpg with all the things I like
>avellone didn't write any of it? dropped
>>
>>378141429
Sawyer's not really into censoring himself in the name of political correctness. He's a very liberal guy in the genuine sense, not the modern american one. He's defended his decisions to include rape and racism and misogyny in his games many times over because he's not interested in painting a dishonest picture of what people can be like.
>>
>>378142510
>look anon didn't say anything i just posted
>but i'm still going to post anyway because i'm a worthless shitposter
>>
>>378142510
>look there's a game I'm not sure I'll enjoy!
>oh, a person that has shown himself to have a knack for making things I enjoy is involved
>might give it a shot!
>>
>>378141429
I was really weirded out when I read about that in the wiki.
Supposedly Durance came upon the Grieving Mother when he was in torches and pitchforks mode and tortured her, but the two don't recognize each other because of Grieving Mom's masking shit and Durance's soul having been maimed.
It was a rather pointless addition overall if you ask me.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.