[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Casual Gaming.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 7

File: Raglan-1_large.jpg (21KB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
Raglan-1_large.jpg
21KB, 320x480px
Red pill me /v/.

Is there really a problem with casual games or games designed to be easy to pick up?

At the moment, I think casual games have a place in gaming as an entry point for new gamers and a point of comparison for difficulty of games. While not every game should be casual and many games are better due to their more complex systems and/or difficulty, casual games should be welcome as long as they're good.

A common complaint I see on this board is "it's for casuals, therefor it sucks." So, please, help me understand this mentality.
>>
>>378089185
Casuals to me are the reason we have so much DLC and microtransactions and shovelware titles.

If casuals didn't have such low standards gaming would be better off.
>>
gaming is a free market, which means if casual gamers buy games, devs will try to make games easier and worse

so yea, its a bad thing.

same argument can be made for capeshit movies, or pop music
>>
Casual gaming is fine as long as it does lead to or is auxiliary to serious gaming. Otherwise, serous gaming dies out because of smaller playerbase and we're left with only casual.
>>
>>378089185
It's fine that casual gaming exists, it just doesn't belong on /v/. You casual gamers can do whatever you want except post on /v/, seriously just go literally anywhere else and have fun.
>>
>>378089345
Shovelware has existed since gaming started picking up. Remember Shaq-fu? And when every movie had a gaming tie-in?

>>378089435
Easier does not equate to worse nor does casual equate to easy. Fire Emblem Awakening was pretty casual, but had had the option to be incredibly hard if you wanted it to be.

>>378089568
Like serious movie watching? Hardcore fans will always be niche no matter the subject.

>>378089947
That's quite elitist and alienating. Most people just want to talk about the games they love. Why remove them?
>>
>>378090696
>Shovelware has existed
Yes, but it wasn't LUCRATIVE. Game sales were hilariously low since the games were typically poor quality.

Now weeaboos and casuals will slurp up anything and provide enough profit for the company to continue running and churn out even more trash.
>>
>>378089185
It kinda depends. Casual games often streamline the games, which isn't always a bad thing. The bigger problem comes when they over simplify it.

The Fable series come to mind as an excellent example of over simplifying the games to the point of harm.

However, often times /v/ uses it to also mean games that are widely liked/popular too. Overall, casual isn't a bad thing, just so long as they don't go overboard. Which few games really do.
>>
>>378089185
>Casuals
>Has nothing to do with Football Casuals

Then again, the gaming equivalent of Football Casuals is probably us.
>>
File: 1473441753660.jpg (42KB, 488x382px) Image search: [Google]
1473441753660.jpg
42KB, 488x382px
>>378089185
>A common complaint I see on this board is "it's for casuals, therefor it sucks." So, please, help me understand this mentality.

What is there not to understand? Most easy games are boring.
>>
>>378089185
STICCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
>>
File: Fates_Boxart_-_Birthright.jpg (368KB, 1500x1372px) Image search: [Google]
Fates_Boxart_-_Birthright.jpg
368KB, 1500x1372px
>>378090696
>Easier does not equate to worse nor does casual equate to easy.

Wrong on both counts.
>>
>>378090696
>elitist and alienating
Fuck off, this is a xenophobic board and casuals ruined my our favorite franchises.

Casuals need a holocaust.
That instagram whore and her faggot hipster friends need a holocaust.
>>
File: THIS IS NO LONGER PODRACING GUY.jpg (45KB, 500x560px) Image search: [Google]
THIS IS NO LONGER PODRACING GUY.jpg
45KB, 500x560px
>>378089185
my complaint isn't "it's for casuals, therefor it sucks."
it's "it's for casuals, therefore i can't get much fun and thrill out of it"
A very legit complaint that happens way too often now is
"this series is for casuals now, even though it used to be really in depth and exciting, because that way it'll sell to a wider audience that doesn't include its original audience, therefor it breaks my fucking heart"
>>
>>378094964
Gaming is casual you dumb fuck.
>>
>>378095592
Then why make it even easier?
>>
>>378089185
Yes and no. The problem with casuals is that they're used by publishers as some sort of broad demographic statistic, even though casuals wouldn't play any of the games these publishers would pump out on PC or PS4.

The casual and advanced markets are very distinct but uninformed publishers try to treat them as the same thing.

I haven no problem with phone or Facebook games existing, but non-casual developers shouldn't pretend that they'll find the same people on PC and PS4.
>>
>>378089185
Game can be easy to pick up AND mechanically deep. There is nothing stopping that. But that doesn't seem to happen most of the time. The game will be piss easy from start to finish too often than not.
>>
File: DAiSpYLXkAIrRdz.jpg (11KB, 170x226px) Image search: [Google]
DAiSpYLXkAIrRdz.jpg
11KB, 170x226px
>/v/ is now pro casual
>>
>>378089185

id like to filth up her pusy!
>>
>>378089185
casual games are fine
casualization of beloved franchises is what pisses me off.
>>
>>378089185
>A common complaint I see on this board is "it's for casuals, therefor it sucks."
Really? The only complaints I see are
>WEEBSHIT
>WEST SHIT
>HAHAH YOU PLAY GAME ON [Platform]
>>
File: neo v casual.png (16KB, 1725x92px) Image search: [Google]
neo v casual.png
16KB, 1725x92px
Casuals are to /v/ as the fat acceptance movement is to /fit/
>>
Bitch all you want, casuals have more fun than we do. They never enter the autistic rage that is so common here and they enjoy the fuck out of every AAA movie game piece of garbage. A few shady practices don't bug them because they sit down and enjoy the game without bitching about 30 fps or SJW shit.

Yes, I'm envious as hell.
>>
>>378099429
>Bitch all you want, people with no standards have more fun than you do

Why should I be envious of plebs who enjoy garbage?
>>
>>378089185
there's nothing wrong with it for new IPs but taking old ones that used to be harder and making them easy for wider appeal is bad
>>
>>378094964
your gay
>>
>>378099516
You don't have to be, but it's hard to argue with people genuinely enjoying themselves playing games over bitching about them here.
>>
>>378099669
>it's hard to argue with people genuinely enjoying themselves
No it's not, because I"m not arguing against their enjoyment. The games themselves are actual garbage, bitching about them here is irrelevant to that fact.
>>
>>378099782
Alright, you're not getting it. That's okay.
>>
>>378099429
>You should be envious of people with lower standards, anon. They are pleased easily.

this mentality is why africa is stuck in the stone age

>no asciniluonushkwa don't bother building a house just run head first into a tree some few times and you won't feel the rain anymore
>>
>>378100170
This person knows nothing about the modern African CONTINENT.
>>
>>378100395
>MAYBE if I capitalize random WORDS I'll sound INTIMIDATING
no sorry try again
>>
>>378100546
It's for emphasis, not intimidation. Africa is a fucking continent. You can't label an entire continent as a third world country.
>>
>>378100080
There's nothing to get, your point isn't more substantive than casuals should be envied for "genuinely" enjoying any game because they don't have standards.

Like, did it ever occur to you that people with developed taste might genuinely enjoy games more than so called casuals, even if their enjoyment is derived from a smaller number of games? Saying you have fun with more games regardless of quality isn't something to brag about or be envious of. Why are you so desperate to justify people who are part of the lowest common denominator, especially when more often than not their enjoyment of garbage stems from ignorance of higher quality titles in the genre?
>>
>>378100842
You can when the majority of their countries are non-developed nations. Also he never called Africa a country.
>>
>>378100842
I didn't label anyone as anything but sure you may call it a third world continent if that's what you were upset about
>>
>>378100932
>>378100998

Wow, none of you know anything about Africa or any African nations do you?
>>
>>378101172
You sure as fuck don't if you think the majority of African nations are first world.
>>
are you seriously going to spend the next 30 minutes shitposting about those, like, 3 cities white people built there at some point
>>
>>378089185
>entry point for newcomers
Are you fucking retarded
All the best games were made before "entry points for newcomers" existed
If you need to be eased in like a baby you clearly don't care about the hobby and should fuck off
>>
>>378101285
The majority of African nations aren't as advanced as America, but are on par with the majority of the world. Most countries in general aren't as advanced as America or Britain and whatever.
>>
>>378101498
that honestly sounds more interesting than having to read more shitposts about how casuals are great and amazing
>>
>>378101623
The most developed African nation doesn't even rank on the top 50 most developed nations worldwide. It's less developed than fucking Romania and Croatia
>>
>>378090696
Leave, nigger. Get the fuck out of /v/. We know your kind and what you're trying to do.
>>
>>378101586
So, when you're teaching someone to read, do you give them Harry Potter, or the Iliad? Even most arcade games were easy to pick up, even if they were hard to beat.
>>
>>378101747
Is /v/ always this racist? Yes. But, what is this person trying to do?
>>
>>378101861
>So, when you're teaching someone to read, do you give them Harry Potter, or the Iliad?
Of Mice and Men, Slaughterhouse-Five. Those are only two out of plenty of entry level books off the top of my head that you could read instead of throwaway shit like Harry Potter.
>>
>>378102205
Is this Drax?
>>
>>378102474
Who?
I'm not saying those two books are amazing or the best ever written, my point is you don't have to resort to pop lit if you actually care about getting into it.
>>
>>378089185
>Is there really a problem with casual games or games designed to be easy to pick up?

yes, they are short, shallow, very little content. They depend on multiplayer to hook people in the game for as long as it can.
Huge waste of money.
>>
>>378089185
a game that's deeper and has a high skill ceiling is objectively more fun to win at than a casual baby game. This is a fact, however casual retards don't like losing so instead we get shit like Overwatch where 90% of characters have a get out of jail free card and dedicated "kill anyone in front of you" button. Shit like this is objectively bad for the overall quality of games because catering to casuals exclusively sells better than catering to both casuals and people who enjoy a challenge. And that's awful for people like me who enjoy investing a decent amount of time into the games I like in order to get better at them. It just feels like every new game I play nowadays is impossible to be good or get better at because either the skill floor is ridiculously high, or the skill ceiling is ridiculously low. Casual games are not a bad thing on their own for the reasons you stated, but once that casual shit starts bleeding over into other games that's when it's gone too far.
>>
>>378095592
>I've literally never made a single cent playing video games in my life
lmaoing at you
>>
Not inherently, but there is a problem when that becomes a trend.
>>
>>378089185
im "hardcore" enough that it really pisses me off when my friends use auto-aim in games, but my current favorite games is just cause 3, and i think a lot of that has to do with how casual it is. like zero fucking consequences, huge gratification, etc. i can pick it up and drop it at the drop of a hat. it even crashes constantly on my pc due to low memory, and i dont lose any progress because it saves everything you do
>>
There is a strong hatred towards "casualisation" and casual games because of recent industry trends over the past decade and a half.

Over the years, the games industry has begun to produce simpler and simpler games to appeal to a broader audience. Making easy, simplistic games has undoubtedly been great for business, but a lot of people who are really enthusiastic about the medium prefer more complex and challenging games that require more thought or better reflexes to play.

Many genres such as the RPG and RTS have been getting simpler and simpler, with only the very rare example of a game release as complex as the games of 20 years ago.

Nobody would mind casual games if they were the minority, but now that they make up the vast majority of releases people are unhappy.
>>
>>378089185
who's this dick sleeve?
>>
>>378089185
Casual games are great. The problem is that people often conflate "casual" with either "terminally retarded" or "lazy". Games should never cater to retarded people, or people who are too lazy to learn the game in the first place.

Otherwise everything will just end up like Platinum's Auto modes.

I'm a casual gamer. I'm not especially fond of overly difficult games, but I take the time to learn how a game works, and I enjoy getting better at them. I'm not a lazy gamer.
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.