[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts? Favorite Fight?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 15

File: IMG_0317.jpg (35KB, 250x354px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0317.jpg
35KB, 250x354px
Thoughts?

Favorite Fight?
>>
Great game. I really can't think of anything negative to say about other than frame rate problems, but I didn't really care since it's not a fast paced shooter or something. Favorite fight was against the flying snake colossus.
>>
>>378056984

Overrated as fuck
>>
playing it for the first time right now
I just killed the 12th colossus, very good so far
for now, my favorite fight is a tie between the giant colossus with the sword-like thing and the colossus with the beard
>>
File: 1464959558415.jpg (58KB, 592x592px) Image search: [Google]
1464959558415.jpg
58KB, 592x592px
>>378057125
>>
>>378057113
>I really can't think of anything negative to say
there are a couple poorly executed bosses that require Dormin's hint to beat. See also: "It's The Gameplay, Stupid: Shadow of the Colossus" by Hamish Todd.
Also having to grind for lizard tails to climb up to the secret garden in the PAL version is pretty lame.
>>
>>378057756
Oh, yeah, some of them were admittedly pretty obtuse. Especially the giant in the water, where you had to climb up on top of the pavilions. Not sure how you were meant to figure that out. The secret garden was something of an easter egg so I didn't mind that you had to grind for it.
>>
>>378057756
>>378058125
I don't know, even though I needed a hint a few times when I found out what I was supposed to do my reaction was always rather "Oh shit, this is so obvious, how is it possible I didn't think of that", rather than " this is bullshit".
>>
File: 195.jpg (898KB, 2407x3087px) Image search: [Google]
195.jpg
898KB, 2407x3087px
>>378058569
I only got stuck on the fire dog and #15.
Fire dog is pretty bullshit. How Ueda rejected the strider looking Colossus in pic related because swinging the sword on horseback is not used elsewhere in the game, yet include the whole "lure the dog to hit the pillar and knock down a torch and pick up the torch and light the torch and use it to push him into the lower area" like how does that make more sense than swinging a sword on horseback?
I think a bigger issue is that the game never tells you how to pull out your bow. I was showing my friend the game and he was trying to swing his sword at the feet of colossus #2 because he had no clue Wander had a bow. I can't blame him, it's not on his character model (why the fuck is it no on his model? not even a quiver) so he never bothered trying to press the other buttons on the controller to equip the bow. The bow isn't present in cutscenes and it's not mentioned by Dormin until Avion I think.

Ico's got a much tighter design, I declare.
>>
File: indeks.jpg (4KB, 246x205px) Image search: [Google]
indeks.jpg
4KB, 246x205px
Bump. Post the removed colossus which loss you personally regret the most
>>
File: 196.jpg (804KB, 2407x3087px) Image search: [Google]
196.jpg
804KB, 2407x3087px
>>378059892
Devil and Pheonix would have been really neat.
>>
Avion best colossus.
>>
THE UNDISPUTED GOAT
>>
>>378059870
>like how does that make more sense than swinging a sword on horseback?
Because there were torches only in this specific location, while you would have to always be able to swing sword on horseback, even though it was useless in all situations except this specific one. Haven't played Ico yet, will have to catch up on it.
>>
File: 197.jpg (895KB, 2407x3087px) Image search: [Google]
197.jpg
895KB, 2407x3087px
>>378060061
Easily. No question. But who is the second best? I liked the dog that would run into the big pillars. Jumping off the falling pillars is super fun. Makes me wish the game had a little more platforming between fights.
>>
As far as artistic merit goes, ICO is superior.
>>
File: tumblr_lyet3mGDPr1qgohvyo1_1280.jpg (249KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lyet3mGDPr1qgohvyo1_1280.jpg
249KB, 1024x576px
>>378060061
>>378060192
I personally prefer Phalanx, but Avion was god tier as well
>>
>>378060192
Second best I'm not sure. Maybe Dirge or Phalanx; I was partial to the ones where you need to run around with Agro at high speed.
>>
File: 198.jpg (927KB, 2407x3087px) Image search: [Google]
198.jpg
927KB, 2407x3087px
>>378060168
You're right and that's why he cut it, but it's hypocritical to cut that for those reasons and not the fire dog when a one-use control mechanic like swinging the sword on horseback is a lot more graspable than picking up objects.

>>378060203
The fuck does that even mean
>>
Back when I was younger and more autistic about these things, I had it much quite thought out. Kinda forgot about most of it by now. I can still say this: #5 (bird of the lake) has the most intense music, #8 (lizard) has the most memorable journey to reach and #15 is in the most intriguing location.

>>378057125
When the second post is also the worst one.
>>
File: sotc_1.jpg (29KB, 450x335px) Image search: [Google]
sotc_1.jpg
29KB, 450x335px
>>378056984
Perfect

Phalanx
>>
I liked Pelagia because he was fucking bizarre
>no eyes
>teeth growing out of his head
>back covered in plantlife
>gorilla-like posture
>no feet, just stumps
>>
>>378061536
>>teeth growing out of his head
I've always found the idea that the upper part of its head has been torn off and it's actually just its jaw
>>
One of my fav games.

Best fight is Avion, hands down
>hit him with an arrow
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdVZL6OWk04 starts playing
>get goosebumps
every time

They're all great, though. I only disliked the 4th colossus.
>>
>>378062681
Found it interesting I mean.
>>
>>378056984
Fun game every now and then but grossly overrated by its rabid fanbase

Phalanx.
>>
>friend gets ps3
>tell him to buy the sotc+ico remaster because it's a literal 10/10
>ps3 achievements tell him to hunt for fruit and lizard tails
>all collosi are a cakewalk

achievements are cancer.
>>
>>378063214
Rabid?

>>378063262
Fortunately you can disable the pop-up notification.
>>
>>378063424
It still completely ruined the experience for him. At least from my pov
>>
>>378063540
I would think wasting time wandering around the map would spoil the intrigue of the world and how exciting it is to travel to colossi, because while having a massive stamina bar would make the fights a lot easier, they're already pretty easy. Did he use a guide to find all the tails? He's just a casual, whatever.
>>
>>378063758
I don't know, I tried to find as many fruits and lizards on my first playthrough as well and I think it made it much better for me. It made me explore the world much more throughout and I feel like the game would just be to short if I focused on rushing through colossi. Instead, I really felt like if I was ending a great journey while I was riding to take down the 16th one.
>>
>>378064379
I think the game would be better without any fruit or glowing lizards. Would make the balance better for sure. But I also wish there was a bit more of a hunt. Like you had to track the colossi down a little, some kind of puzzle in finding them. Something simple.
>>
>>378056984
Played it a couple of months ago for the first time and it has skyrocketed into my top 10 easily.

My favorite is probably #12 (the lake monster with the tusks). That one took me forever to fight, in a good way. The whole time I was inching closer and closer to figuring out how to hurt it it blew my mind when I realized you could smack those "teeth" with your sword and pilot it, and every step of the way was actually fun even though it took so much stumbling around to arrive at the solution. Compare to #5 (the bird) where the way you hurt it is incredibly obvious, but it's also really easy to fall off, and then you're forced to wait like 3 minutes just to get your chance again.
>>
>>378064379
>>378063758
I never botherd to hunt for them. I got a pair of tails in my first playtrough after finding the shining lizards in a shrine, and I didn't even find a single fruit. I learned about them after you get the map in speedrun mode.

It made the game more challenging, and I do enjoy some challenge
>>
>>378064570
It's not like the location of every colossus was so straightforward though. Some of them had you going in and out of abandoned ruins or weaving through a mazelike valley. I remember running around in circles for what felt like hours blindly following the column of light without realizing how to actually get to my destination a few times.
>>
>>378065074
Yes. I think there could've been a little more of that.
Makes me wonder how many players ignored the horse and just walked to each of the early fights.
>>
File: 6582828615_4865532d51_b.jpg (263KB, 1024x581px) Image search: [Google]
6582828615_4865532d51_b.jpg
263KB, 1024x581px
>>
>>378065346
I think there's something important about how vast and wide open the world currently is, even though in today's culture, such a barren overworld would be a crime. It's this little bit of downtime, this moment where you can just appreciate the silence of nature as you anticipate your next climactic battle coming closer and closer.
>>
So which Colossus was your least favorite and why?

For me, the one you had to tip over using the geysers. Its a pain in the ass if you are doing time attack.
>>
File: img25454.jpg (64KB, 700x393px) Image search: [Google]
img25454.jpg
64KB, 700x393px
Underrated colossus tbdesu
>>
File: 1492619288989.jpg (23KB, 490x314px) Image search: [Google]
1492619288989.jpg
23KB, 490x314px
>>378068552
Either of the small charging ones that stunlock you. Fuck those guys.

Have you ever missed the big leap onto the first one's back at the start of the second phase? It's a fucking nightmare to make another opportunity to jump on it because you can't outrun it and the camera doesn't like to cooperate.
>>
The super tall one with the sword. Even the process of getting to the boss battle by climbing all that shit in the lake was cool.
>>
>>378068935
*belches in ur path and drains half ur health bar in a split second*
>>
>>378068935
I love the arena you fight him in. Makes me wonder about the civilization that built that stuff.
>>
File: tumblr_inline_mytzzmylDb1swq7mv.png (75KB, 500x238px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mytzzmylDb1swq7mv.png
75KB, 500x238px
So whats your thoughts on this guy? Did he really do anything wrong?
>>
>>378069893
He should have been more specific about Wander's fate should he choose to slay the colossi. Not that it would have stopped him anyway, most likely.
>>
>>378056984
>Thoughts?

It's an art game, and it definitely plays like an art game. There was a great deal of attention paid to the game's narrative and atmosphere, while actual game play is pretty lackluster as a result.

It's worth it to beat the game at least once, but I didn't feel much need to return to it after that. The extra items you could unlock in the time trails hardly felt like any incentive to continue playing.
>>
>>378069893
Not really. He did warn Wander about the consequences of their deal and in the end he did keep his part of the bargain.
>>
>>378056984
amazing game. one of the best worlds ever crafted and one of the best cut content/secret games ever made

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rm0Zldnp8e0
this guy's vids are great, inspired me to dig around in some of my favorite games and start to love videogame archaeology
>>
>>378060573
I got really frustrated with this one.
Shouldn't have been too hard but trying to handle Agro/jump off onto the colossus was a nightmare.
>>
>>378068935
>you shoot arrows at him
>then you stab
WOW WHAT A GREAT FIGHT UEDA 10/10
When I was fighting him for the first time I thought "wow this is like monster hunter, which sucks"
>>
>>378056984
It bothers me we'll never get more boss fight games because faggot critics will always complain that it doesn't have more generic enemies.

I was playing titan souls to get my fix of a similar style of game, which was also awesome. I'm hoping praey for the gods turns out well.

I NEED MORE
>>
>>378068552
The mini dog that's afraid of fire because I played on PS3 and getting any kind of time to stab him without him waggling you is near impossible. I hate the club weilding colossus near the end for the same reason
>>
>>378069893
He's rather morally ambiguous. Probably evil given his appearance but no he didn't really do anything wrong
>>
>>378073448
You saw all the backlash that Cuphead's reveal got. People think they hate boss fights. People are just a little too stupid to realize that they only hate shitty bossfights.
>>
>>378073745
>I hate the club weilding colossus near the end for the same reason

Because if you ever fall off, you have to repeat the fucking arduous process of climbing the walls to jump back onto him again. It takes forever to goad him into doing what you need him to do. That and the fact that it's a pain in the ass to get onto the palm of his hand with your stamina meter in tact, assuming you haven't been going full completionist with collecting lizard tails.
>>
>>378073448
this might seem obvious, but have you tried monster hunter?

not many puzzle-ly bosses, but it's basically boss fights: the series.
>>
>>378069893
I always viewed him in an abrahamic/Old Testament God kind of way.
Don't know why, but he gives off that kind of feeling.
>>
>>378074174
The way the bridges collapse as a sort of cutscene is extra bullshit. What's the point of the bridges? Am I supposed to jump from them before they are destroyed? I killed him by jumping on his head from where the bridge ends. It's a really tough jump so I dunno if that's the intended method or not
>>
>>378074262
I tried tri and enjoyed it up until my 4th large boss monster, then my decision to play as a gunner fucked me over and I dropped the whole series. Kinda clunky, kind of a grind fest
>>
>>378074905
tri is one of the worst games, especially for new players
it only seems clunky because you are new and it takes a while to really get used to the animation timings, etc.

it's not grindy at all. you can expect to need to hunt something 2-4 times for the average craft, unless you need a rare carve, then it might take you 8 or 9 hunts

you'd probably have a much better time with 4 ultimate.
>>
>>378072401
that feel when you make the jump the first try, never fall, and bring down Phalanx in a flawless victory.

It's fucking surreal. shivers down my spine the whole time, hands shaking. beautiful.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.