[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Breath of the wild is a good game, but there are many things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: BreathoftheWildFinalCover.jpg (124KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
BreathoftheWildFinalCover.jpg
124KB, 250x350px
Breath of the wild is a good game, but there are many things within it that I think could've been done better or little thing they could've added to enhance the experience.

So ITT: Things you would have changed or added to breath of the wild to make it a better game. I'll start with a couple I came up with based on my gripes with the game and other complaints I've heard from both critics and people who have played the game.

>Fragmented story telling
This I think was probably the thing that bothered some people the most, up until this point Zelda games have had a linear story so it makes sense that they had trouble with doing it for the first time. Normally, Zelda games have what I'd like to call 3 acts. The beginning, the part where everything goes horribly wrong but there's still hope, and the final confrontation. The majority of a Zelda game will usually take place within the 2nd act, which makes sense because this is where a new mechanic is introduced. What breath of the wild did was it skipped it's entire first half and left it fragmented to find, and then it focused so much on the exploration of the 2nd act that the 3rd ended up being lackluster and frankly too easy.

What I think they should have done would be to give the memories a recommended order, and not only that but make them tiny playable linear sequences with tiny bits of freedom (like talking to whoever you want to before taking on the small task). This would've given the player the ability to interact with all the champions and Zelda (another main complaint) but also given it more or less a sequence of events that unfold. You could take it a step further and "punish" the player for going outside the recommended order and make a small sequence where Link has to try to sort out what memory goes where but I feel like that goes against the spirit of the game itself.

I'll continue posting more of these in the thread, because I do have a couple more but I've pretty much hit the character limit.
>>
Congratulations, OP. You've made a thread on /v/ that's not about how much you hate liberals and criticises a video game without resorting to racial slurs, the word "shill", or calling the developers SJWs. I've taken a screenshot as an example for other anons to look up to. I wish you all the best on your thread!
>>
I think the storytelling is fine. The Zelda series never had an amazing story line and doesn't need one to get in the way of gameplay. This one department I felt they got right.

My recommendations would be:
>more actual dungeons
>side quests that are more than collect x
>more durability for weapons, with durability bar
>ability to certain repair weapons
>caves, actual ruins.
>more varied enemies
>tougher bosses

Other than that, I quite liked the game.
>>
>>378051523
couldnt give two fucks about the story. it created a gorgeous, immersive world that was honestly the best time i have ever had exploring in a videogame.

what i really think could have been done was greater enemy variety. there's no excuse for all of the different zones having the same enemies. really, they should have just put more time into the world in general. it was already amazing, but it could have been the best gameworld ever devised with some more development
>>
>>378051849
Thanks, I just wanted to talk about the game and how it could be better, possibly for the inevitable sequel
>>378052028
I agree with most of your points here but the story DID skip it's first act, it could have been more compelling had they made the past more interactive.
>repair certain weapons
I think you can already (technically) do this with the champion weapons but it basically is just rebuying it
>durability bar
Absolutely yes, this would be incredibly helpful. Hell, skyward sword did it.
>side quests
They could definitely use more work, adding 1-3 major side quests with their own storyline per village might've fixed this
>varied enemies
>tougher bosses
I actually have a point about this so I'll type it up after this post
>>
>>378051523
>Fragmented story telling
Unironically the best way to tell the story and the best story in any open world game. Then again, I can't even remember the stories in other open world games. It's typically
>you FUCKING tourist piece of SHIT
>we're in a middle of a war and you bring this TOURIST here?
>also can you kill some wild animals lmao?
Anyway, your ideas are terrible. Go kill yourself.
>>
>>378051523
My next point
>enemy variety
This one is a big one yet is most definitely the easiest by far to solve. I'm curious as to why it is even an issue to start with.

Anyways, I can deal with the lack of variety personally with the lackey enemies that never really bothered me but what DID was the lack of big difficult enemies scattered across the world. Lynels are challenging and very fun to fight so I would've liked to have seen more things like this. This also ties into a point on how to improve the Divine beasts too. They could have added more of the big bad guys like Darknuts which would have been pretty cool. Big armored enemies that hit hard and have high defence, first phase armored second phase armor gets knocked off and they get faster but toss aside the sword to hit just as hard.

Now, a good way to introduce these enemies to you would be through mini bosses in the Divine beasts. Not only would it make them feel more Zelda-like, it would add a larger sense of progression to them. After beating them in the dungeon and suddenly finding this new mini boss in the overworld would be a pleasant surprise to many.
>>
>>378052662
Personally, I liked the fragmented storytelling too. But it was a big complaint from some of I guess the more casual players who came to see it's story. Even if you did want to keep it fragmented, making the memories playable sequences are indisputably a better way to let the memories unfold, and you would even have to remove the cinematic cutscenes either. It's the best way to address the complaints about the lack of interactivity with the champions and Zelda without changing the entire narrative
>>
Agree with most of the points so far. I'd add that it was a little disappointing not having the weapon/accessory variety we're used to like with other Zelda games (hookshot, lens of truth, etc). It made up for it to a certain extent with the runes but still felt like something was missing.
>>
i wanted more secrets in the world, there were some cool hidden stuff but it would usually just lead to a shrine anyway which was lame after going through so many of them

discovering an actual dungeon randomly would have been amazing
>>
>>378051523
And my last points
>lack of theming/aesthetic variety within divine beasts and with bosses
>bosses are pushovers

This one I think could probably be the easiest to address since it's more or less an issue of everything kinda looking the same. The Divine beasts are already within themed areas so why not just change up the color? A nice color scheme would have gone a long way as to addressing this complaint, and when it comes to the bosses just make them anything but (something) Ganon with a blight looking theme. They could even behave the exact same way, just change up the way they look and what they're called. Doing this wouldn't even interfere greatly with the story since they just need to be something Ganon spawned. Also I would give them bigger health pools, and this sort of thing is the only time I'd approve of "level scaling". Make the bosses scale up based on how many beasts you've defeated. Beat one, the others scale up to be one peg stronger. Also, make the tiny guardians scale too, those guys became pretty much just pointless after the first beast and THEY EVEN HAVE MORE POWERFUL VERSIONS OF THEM IN THE GAME.

Anyways that's mostly all that I can think of off the top of my head. I can expand further if need but that's about it
>>
>>378051523

Blacksmithing Minigame to craft new weapons.
Fishing minigame instead of jumping the water and swimming like an idiot.

There, 10/10 perfect game forever.
>>
Absolutely love this game but there are a few things that could have made it better

>Eating in combat

This is my biggest flaw with this game. Being able to pause combat to either regenerate health or change your weapon without any kind of repercussion makes it way too easy. I don't mind being able to eat in combat but there should be a moment of animation where you're vulnerable to attack.

>Difficulty progression

The game starts out very challenging. Small Bokoblin camps are kicking your ass left and right. You have to sneak up and formulate a plan to defeat enemies. You're constantly breaking and looking for new weapons. Finding a chest with a decent weapon in it is godsend. By mid game, all that difficulty is gone. You have an inventory full of elemental and guardian weapons. The enemies don't really change through out the game so it's easy to learn the combat rhythm. Opening a chest is a pain in the ass now because your sword and bow inventory is most likely full and you probably have at least 3 of whats in the chest already.

>No fishing pole

You can hunt or gather for food but not fish other than just chasing fish in the water. Being able to use a fishing pole would at a nice element of comfyness to the game.
>>
>>378051523
No fuck off it's a literally perfect 10/10 masterpiece the only reason someone wouldn't think this is because they don't have a Switch or Wii U
>>
>>378053957
This I also completely understand but a lot of those things sort of acted as complex keys and with the way they the game is structured they became more or less an afterthought.

However, that doesn't mean they should have ditched them entirely. A hookshot with a battery/limited uses MAYBE could have been added but I haven't thought about this too much or how it would effect the game so anything I say to this point will probably be stupid and not exactly fit. But maybe there's room for those little locks spread across the world for random "keys" you just so happen upon. Perhaps something like a lense of truth could fit somewhere for hints or hidden treasures scattered around. Maybe even have it show how people really feel and have that open side quests? It could have definitely been a sheikah rune and it'd fit into Zelda's lore
>>
>>378054852
This, where the fuck was a fishing rod?

Also I have one other tiny thing, I would have liked to have seen more vegetables for cooking. No tomatoes means no hylian spaghetti.
>>
>>378054896
I forgot to add the eating in combat thing to my list, thank you for mentioning it. Though I have no idea how they'd have you eat in combat, maybe just bind your best healing item to down on the d-pad and you need to buff before you enter a fight via the menu? Keeping menu healing around just for non-combat would be fine but yes you shouldn't be allowed to pause and heal in a fight
>>
>>378053698
This was actually meant for
Also I meant wouldn't*
>>378052710
>>
>>378055308

Why do you need a fishing rod if you can literally just jump in the water and grab fish?
You rather wait a minute or 2 before getting fish to bite?
>>
>>378054954
Thanks for the thread bump but please
>>
>>378055941

A fishing minigame would be more fun, yes. Plus it's a Zelda tradition.
>>
>>378055941
It's not necessary and I know the developers knew this but realistically fish would swim away the second you got into the water, also fishing with your hands ain't easy. I think more or less it was a missed opportunity for a fun mini game
>>
>>378056140
>>378056241
You can already fish in the game. You bait them with food and then you bomb the shit out of them or use electric arrows.
>>
-Actual dungeons, or at least a unique setting for every type of shrine (White for blessings, Red/Orange for combat, if not just the general layout based on where said shrine was at).
-At least five more enemy types and three more minibosses, more regional variation too. Moldugas in the desert got it right.
-A fishing rod for if you wanted to fish normally
-More hammers, just ONE iron sledgehammer was a letdown
-Make new weapon-types, going back to the hammer. Stun damage could be a thing if you hit the target on the head enough times.
-A blacksmith to repair your weapons at the cost of rupees and materials. Some weapons could be upgraded even.
-Timed events.
-Underground complex.
>>
>>378056597
But mini game pls
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.