[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is linearity considered a bad thing? I dont get why its a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: I SEE NOW.gif (3MB, 304x302px) Image search: [Google]
I SEE NOW.gif
3MB, 304x302px
Why is linearity considered a bad thing?
I dont get why its a bad thing unless the game itself tries to give you the illusion of multiple paths
>>
There isn't a single open world game that's good. Well crafted linear games are the best.
>>
File: 1483832246913.webm (441KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483832246913.webm
441KB, 480x480px
>>378005591
I support this.
>>
File: tf2c merc.jpg (279KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tf2c merc.jpg
279KB, 1920x1080px
>>378005531
is this a team fortress 2 reference?
>>
only idiots think linear automatically means it is shit
>>
Nonlinear doesn't necessarily mean open world. NuPrey is fairly nonlinear.
>>
>>378005591
Witcher 3, but you could take away the open world and it would still work. Like what Witcher 2 did.
>>
>>378005861
Haven't played it, 1 had shit combat.
>>
Because I want to do what I want not get fed a B-grade story
>>
Nowadays people confuse linearity with hand-holding and casualization which are the real cancers.

>Play the original megaman out of boredom.
>Spend an hour trying to get pass the first part of Gutsman's level.
>Didn't feel bored of fed up, instead I felt challenged.
Why can't games be genuinely hard nowadays? I don't want to one-shot 500 generic enemies, I want a good fight.
>>
I think FF10 got away with doing linear pretty well. It had various areas like the calm lands where the game still felt like half-open world and the airship giving the illusion of a world map.

Could probably say the same with FF12.
>>
>>378006186
Well FFX had a clear goal, and a journey ahead to look forward to, so progression always felt desired
Where as FFXII, things just happened, with next to no world building
>>
>>378006316
Then 13 was released and they found out that they couldn't trick people 3 times in a row. God that game was so terrible looking back.
>>
>>378005531

So many games nowadays go out of their way to lead the player by the nose in some form or fashion which leads some to believe that all linear games are bad when in reality the industry is just currently flooded with games that handle linearity poorly.
>>
Linear literally means "not open world".

Metroid is linear.
Zelda (was) linear.

>>>378005591
Red Dead Redemption was "fine", but it could have been "great" if it was about half as long and wasn't focused on being a theme park half the time (linear).
>>
>>378006456
Well the issue with 13 is they didnt give a shit about the world, it just used the world for plot points and that was it
And they focused on characters who are just down right unlikeable, Lightning and Fang are bitches, Hope is a shithead, Snow is a cardboard cutout, and the other 2 were just whinny that didnt even do much
>>
At some point linearity just becomes a movie, and there's no replay value. A game like Pac Man is superior than a Call of Duty singleplayer campaign, because at least Pac Man gives the player some semblance of autonomous participation
>>
File: IMG_0558.jpg (443KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0558.jpg
443KB, 1200x1200px
>>378005761
Masked Intruder is a great band
>>
>>378006916
MGS games are linear AND movies
But I could go for like, a 10th run of the first 3 games again
>>
If pretty evident, game quickly becomes boring
>>
File: 1492303536682.jpg (16KB, 224x225px) Image search: [Google]
1492303536682.jpg
16KB, 224x225px
The true patrician format is a mission-based structure with branching and hidden paths.
>>
>>378006316
>Where as FFXII, things just happened, with next to no world building

That's the opposite though, FF12 was nothing but world building while completely ignoring the main plot and the characters.
>>
File: Untitled.png (667KB, 640x444px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
667KB, 640x444px
>>378005531
>Rush in and save the villagers
>Hang back and form search parties

>choose to rush in
>another character stops me and says we have to form search parties
>>
>>378006657
Careful, the reddit overlords infesting /v/ will crucify you for saying a rockstar game isn't that good
>Bad writing replaced with wacky characters in hopes you'll remember their one track personalities
>Game doesn't explore its mechanics or systems
It's all presentation and these retards eat it up
>>
>2007
>linear games are such lazy shit, when will we see devs start moving towards open world master race?
>2017
>>378005591
>>
>>378008396
Open world games were always shit, child.
>>
>>378008438
They really always were, it's nice that people are coming around.

I thought it was the dumbest shit you had to drive to the levels in GTA3 and I still do.
>>
>>378009494
Giving you an open world where literally nothing you do matters is just shit.
Games should be like Alpha Protocol, you run through linear missions but your actions/choices actually make an impact later on.
Obviously it's easier to make a shitty open world game than a well made handcrafted linear one.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.